Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

I picked up the Argent: Mancers of the University expansion, and oh my god :stare: there’s just so much poo poo in this box, I can’t wait to play the game with all the expansion crap. I didn’t think the game needed more variety, and yet here I am super pumped about it.

The one thing I noticed, in general, is that research is MUCH MUCH easier to get and going for treasures/consumables is slightly more rewarding than without the expansion.

Also the Technomancy Legendary spell is pretty drat useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Sloober posted:

You're making me want to pick the expansion up already and i haven't even gotten my Argent copy to the table yet.

I DO recommend playing the recommended set up WITHOUT expansion to learn the game. Its not to hard to pick up, but it is hard to get used to all the stuff going on every turn without the game easing you in like that. Once you have done that, then you can use the expansion.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

What are the best bits of the expansion to start out using in your opinion? We have a few games under our belts already.

Honestly they are all pretty drat equal in my opinion. If you know what you are doing then you can pretty much introduce it all at once.

However, If I were to dribble things in I would probably introduce all the new items, spells, mages, vault cards (other than synthesis treasures) and the Technomancy consortium voter all at once. Then I would introduce the Archmages staff and the Archmages Staff Consortium voter. Then the new tiles (some of them like the Golem Factory are very powerful and unique) and the Synthesis Treasures. Lastly I would introduce the new Bell Tower Cards.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I didn't really like the Archmage staff but everything else seemed like a pretty solid addition that expands the game horizontally

The Archmage staff is just super powerful and fragile. If you like the aggression and direct player interaction that can happen in Argent, then it is a wonderful addition. If you dislike that, then I can certainly understand not using it.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

OmegaGoo posted:

Argent with 3 is pretty great, too. I think the only "bad" number is 5... and I'd rather play Argent with 5 than a huge number of other games with any number.

5 is still pretty good, it just takes a while. I have played a 6 player game (with the expansions) and that poo poo took FOREVER. It was still fun as hell but not nearly as fun as 3-4 players.

2 players is a strange tempo game which is really neat and I highly recommend it.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

So I've recently started playing in a descent campaign with a few friends. We have the archer guy who has the eagle familiar, Runemaster Thorn, Karnon (the Yeti) and I'm Nanok of the Blade. I'm the version of Nanok thats armor is equal to my melee trait +2. I have the skill weapon master at the moment and we are fighting the spider queen in our campaign. My question is what skills should I focus on obtaining after I max out my melee trait? The tiger tattoo was already taken by Karnon the Yeti. I'm unfamiliar with the game so I really don't no what I should focus on, I'm guessing getting swift would be good at some point., but other than that, I am clueless.

edit-I should mention I believe we are doing the "road to Legend" campaign.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 25, 2015

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

You always announce whether or not an incident triggers. An incident triggers if the culprit is at their paranoia limit at the end of the day. The mastermind then resolves any effects they can, if any. If there are no effects to resolve well then you don't, but the incident still triggered and you still announce it.

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Don't the players know 'an incident is scheduled to happen today'?

yes

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

LemonAIDS posted:

IIRC its when an incident triggers but nothing actually happens from it, Like there's enough enough Paranoia on the incident person to trigger it but because of some other reason it doesn't happen, like that one that kills guys in the hospital if there's intrigue at the hospital. You'd say it if the incident triggered but there's not enough intrigue at the hospital or if there's no one at the hospital to kill

You don't even have to say that, the mastermind only has to announce the incident triggered, its up to the protagonists to figure out why nothing happened.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Goons don't understand social games. Surprise.

NO goons get social games, just not bad ones. Sheriff is good, until you realize the optimal strategy is not to do any real social engineering and just be honest the entire game.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Kerro posted:

Are there any good reasons not to buy Argent for someone with sufficient cash and poor impulse control?

Lack of table space. Seriously the game is a table hog. The anime-esque artwork can make some people not want to play and the game is a decent length Euro, usually somewhere between 2.5 and 3 hrs to play.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

How long does a game of Traglooper actually take?

It depends on how many days/loops are in a script. I have seen a game done in 45 minutes, I've also been in a game that took 2hrs, neither of which where anyone really suffered any ap. So I'd say thats the range 45min-2hrs.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Jedit posted:

My local Magic group have combined Elder Dragon Highlander and Bang.

That sounds like one game of Exploding Kittens shy of hell.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

MorphineMike posted:

I played a four and a half hour game of Amun-Re earlier today.

The game was alright. The other players that found anything and everything else to talk about and do except play the game was not.

How in the gently caress can you play a four hour game of Amun-Re? We usually get that game done in around an hour.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey, longshot here, but will anyone be going to MACE? It is an annual gaming convention in Charlotte North Carolina. Be cool to goon up a game or 2.
link:
http://www.justusproductions.com/

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

I have a tough request. If I want a game for an elderly relative to play this Christmas but they have a poor memory and sub-par motor skills, any suggestions?

Splendor?

Big, thick poker chips, simple rules, and it is color matching. If you are concerned about memory issues, you could come up with a rules reference card, print it out and hand it out to all players that play (even though it is only for grandma really).

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey what's the goonsensus on Fairy Tale? https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/13823/fairy-tale

I tried it the other day and found it scratched the itch of being a light fun drafting game much better than 7 wonders does and with much less set up and fiddly bits. I haven't heard a lot of people either recommending it or talking about it (likely because it was a 2004 release) but I just wanted to check to see if there was some problem with it that kept it from catching widespread acceptance.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Defenestration posted:

Hello, I would like to discuss Agricola and strategy therein because no one wants to play with me anymore :saddowns:

I love Agricola so much you guys.

You should move to NC, there's a group of people here who host an event where they play Agricola all day everyday for a week in preparation for the WBC's.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

I almost came to that but was tied up over the weekend!

Are you in Greensboro?

Yeah I'm a Greensboro goon. I'm not much for the farmageddon, but I do show up at the game night every now and then.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Little_wh0re posted:

Odd request: suggestions for a board game that could be played in a hot tub

almost any card game works, if you laminate the cards (I have done this before with resistance, it kind of works)

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Impermanent posted:

Nah, that's superheroes.

Nah, that's anime.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Andarel posted:

Playtester. It's the only game I used perfect fits for, but they served me well.

SO is the game actually good? What is the play experience like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Radioactive Toy posted:

Since I'll finally have a chance to teach them to myself and maybe the gf this week, how do Argent and new Through the Ages work with two players? My first impression is that TTA should be fine but Argent would work better with 3 or 4.

Argent has rules for a two player variant and the game is still great, but it becomes a VASTLY different game than when there are multiple players. One of the things I found in two player argent was a much greater emphasis on delaying the spaces you take for fear of being disrupted when compared to the main game. Weird tempo plays like you and your opponent each playing a fast action spell and grabbing a bell tower when you both have multiple workers left because you are fighting over one particular resource that you need to clinch a voter but both of you also have relevant disruption and it becomes a game of who can delay taking that action better. At least that is how it has played out when I have tried it. I found it a lot of fun, but there is far less chaos and information overload than in even 3 player argent.