Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

OH! Maybe? If so I apologize! I need to remember to use neutral gender nouns/pronouns when I am unsure, that is my bad.

My point was, if you are willing to try it again (which you stated) and don't have a lot of experience with it (which I admit I assumed), then it is worth it to at least see what you do and don't like about it. I tend to disagree with the philosophy of just moving on to something you enjoy more; I have figured out a lot more of what I like (and more importantly, why I like it) by playing and replaying things I don't like.

I try to go with the old cliché of trying anything twice before rejecting it, so yeah, if I find interested people who have the game, I'm in. But I am sceptical at the moment. And also, I have a boatload of other games that I want to try and/or play more.

Also, novels are a great analogy actually: I know that The Great Gatsby is supposed to be super good, but I just find it boring as gently caress and I have no desire to finish it. But I enjoy the Munchkin of literature, Discworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

Dominion is definitely a game, it's just one with simple mechanics and no theme to speak of. Players form strategies and make decisions, and eventually whoever does the best job (subject to some randomness) is declared the winner. Sounds like just as much of a game to me as anything else.

It is a game. It just doesn't feel like one. Kind of the opposite of how generic roll-to-move feels like games but aren't.

Also, Mage Knight owns, but the deckbuilding bit is somewhat limited, you only reshuffle 5 times in a 3+(+) hour game. And the no movement thing does suck, but I have not had it come up that often, especially if you discount the times where I was being a retard by going deep into a forest at night. And, you know, didn't refuse to buy movement cards for any reason.
It's definitely not a game for everyone though, it's way too long and fiddly for some people.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

My biggest beef with Mage Knight is that it feels like it crossed that invisible threshold where I'm wondering why I'm not playing an automated version on a computer or iDevice. Vlaada mentioned in his Tash-kalar blog how he got the motivation to design TK because of an initiative to make more mobile friendly games, and I'm surprised that they haven't considered Mage Knight. It seems like it would be perfect, and it doesn't have negotiation or other weird mechanics that make it unfriendly for digital adaptations.

Here's a link for that, because it's a good read: http://tash-kalar.com/designers.html

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Lord Frisk posted:

There's also a rule that says rules disputes should be rolled off with a d20, with the winner's choice staying permanent until end of game. So just get in a rules argument about anything that is ridiculously in your favor, win the die roll, and rub his face in it, cause that rule supersedes all others.

Be sure that you roll the die so you get the VP on a 20 too.

BonHair fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 20, 2015

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Does anyone have experience with CGE and replacements? I bought Dungeon Lords Happy Anniversary last week, and it was missing the rules for the base game, which I reported Wednesday night and I haven't heard anything or gotten a confirmation mail. Is that normal? Obviously, I have downloaded the PDF rulebook, so it's not really a problem, but I would like to have them all the same.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I gave my cousin Forbidden Island for Christmas, and she gave her boyfriend 7 Wonders, both of which they have been playing a lot by themselves (yes, two player 7 Wonders a lot. I don't get it.). They wanted different stuff, so for her birthday I just gave her Targi, which does two players a lot better and taught them the rules for it, and they seemed like they enjoyed it. So great success!

On the other hand, the boyfriend also just went "we like games, I have no idea, I'll check BGG and get the number one game for her". Which meant they had gotten Twilight Struggle and were intending to just set it up and run through the rules along the way. I told them to find tutorials and also that one of them should attempt to learn it before playing. Also I just sent them a link to SU&SD, because that sure is a better way of picking than getting the heavy gamers games on that list.

BonHair fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 1, 2015

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, he sort of lucked out, but only sort of, because I don't think it's a good step up from 7 Wonders. He has played Go and Catan though, so he knows about strategy and hates dice, so that's awesome.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

To be fair, fixing something that ain't broken does sometime lead to interesting innovations. Coops as a genre didn't need a traitor to fix anything (in my opinion at least), but drat if BSG isn't amazing with the right group.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Lorini posted:

We'll just have to disagree. I find it very useful. I can get what I need from it. Yes it's UI could be improved. But that doesn't make it suck. I guess if you aren't buying or playing many boardgames then yeah there's better places to hangout but it works well for me.

This. The store analogy is not an obsolete market, but a yarn store that has crammed everything in because some people want absolutely al kinds of yarn and the store owners fee like just having it will make people come. It works, but it would be really nice if someone quadrupled the size, made aisles and organised everything on shelves by sensible metrics and maybe cut away some of the sheep bios for the common wools.

Also, yeah, it's the place where you can get goats wool from Fiji or whatever the yarn equivalent of opinions on obscure games is.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

silvergoose posted:

There are so many yarn shops like this. Just saying.

Exactly why I picked that specific shop type. It goes for some board game stores too though, or comic books or whatever nerd thing. Hell, even music stores (instruments and records alike) do it. But it doesn't work for casual mainstreamers and beginners. Just like BGG is terribe for new gamers. See the guy who bought Twilight Struggle after loving Forbidden Island "because it was #1 on BGG"

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I guess a good worker placement game could work too, though it would have to be less punishing and more about the best engine. Tzolk'in perhaps? It would have to let him build up something and preferably use it in an awesome way in the last turn instead of having it be all "my dudes are gonna die fuckfuckfuck" like Agricola, and I'm not sure what the best option there is. Caverna is another possibility, but I have not personally tried it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Just looking at my own collection, Primordial Soup, especially with the expansion, might also work for him. Though it does kind of punish you for ridiculous combos.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I just finished a solo game of Mage Knight, and I got owned by Volkare. Don't play while tired, you will suck.

Anyway, for your first game, you should read through the walkthrough while looking at everything and setting it up. Then you should probably find a video explaining everything, because you missed half the rules. Then you should play the intro game solo with the rulebook at your side because you will have missed something. Then evaluate why you felt nowhere near ready to take on three dudes at a time. Then try again, this time a full solo game, again with the rules, because there's a few you have forgotten. Notice that you did way better, but still had trouble with the cities. Now, at this point, you should be ready for a multiplayer game, but keep the rules handy, because seriously, there's a lot of them. It's not as bad as I make it out though, most of it makes sense in lots of ways, it's just hard to remember.

Maybe read through this thread too:http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3667901

I guess videotaping your first plays and checking how many rules you missed/hosed up is an option for the hardcore gamer

Oh, and fire block works against ice attacks and vice versa.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I just packed up and noticed that the Mage Knight box says 1-4 hours as play time. One hour may be possible if you are two players who are incredibly fast, know the game seriously well, are lucky and have picked a blitz scenario. Expect at least 3 hours for a learning game with all new players. At least.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

And because the designer is right in some cases. Some people are way better at tracking stuff, which makes games more about who is better at tracking stuff than who is better at strategy. Which can be fun I guess, but some of us don't enjoy that too much.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I tend to learn games by soloing them, with me playing however many people is needed (though badly sometimes). I guess having two people for that could work, but it's rarely as enjoyable as the actual game I think.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Seriously, doesn't that count as destroying goods somehow?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

I tend to do this for new games or games with players who haven't played that game before as a way of teaching them to analyze the game state. Hopefully they find it helpful instead of annoying.

Yeah, I do this too with new players, and I really hope it's not a bother. I usually plan out the move beforehand, preferably before my turn, and just go "I do this because this, which allows me to do this, which is awesome". I guess it's different from "I guess I could do this. Or I could do this? Maybe this? But if I did the first thing I could get thingie! But then I wouldn't get other thingie. Hmm."

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

homullus posted:

They even say things like "just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a bad game" and then go and dump all over games just because they didn't like them. Just sooooo many people with questionable taste in that video.
"I love the art in Sentinels of the Multiverse!"
"Lords of Waterdeep is thematic!"
"The makers of Dixit are so lazy, they didn't even put any words on the cards!"

Pictured: The least lazy game design. Just look at all them words!

The game is Opus Dei, and it is not great. And all the words are flavour text, so they have zero relevance to the actual gameplay, except people will read in during play and thus not pay attention.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I decided to check out The Dice Tower, and I hate these guys. I also disagree with them a lot. Their main arguments seem to be "fun", "theme" and "flavour". And that's mostly it. They never try to analyse what happens in a game, how the mechanics work or anything that would be helpful, except "they like it".
Have they done anything that is sensible and/or worth watching?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Bambelo is awesome. This is a fact.

I like to keep Ghost Blitz in my bag at all times (along with Coup and Hanabi), because it's the perfect match of dexterity, pattern recognition and phallic objects for any beer drinking situation. It does kinda separate people into those who get it and those who don't.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Sometimes I wonder how nerdy "boardgaming enthusiasm" is globally, across different major cultures and regions. If there were some sort of nerdiness index, where would it sit relative to other things and how would it vary when you moved from country to country?

I suspect it's regarded as less nerdy when you live somewhere where you are forced to spend more of the year indoors. It's probably more popular the more educated a population is, but this is just a guess. And it's expensive, so I would assume it's even more fringe in less wealthy regions.

Is nerdonomy an academic major yet? I imagine there is a serious but painfully naive discussion about this thing somewhere on reddit that will make me abandon this whole line of thought..

Please take a shower. Also, it's called anthropology, you just have to study nerds instead of foreigners.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Madmarker posted:

Skull, Love Letter

Coup, Ghost Blitz, Hanabi

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

What's the consensus on Istanbul?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I really want to play Final Attack!, but my friends are way lame and probably wont like it :(
But also, I have a question: How language-specific are the stage rules? For instance, is "no contractions" a rule? Because that's really English-specific. Same with stuff like "no pronouns", which for an Arabic speaker would be hella easy, since you practically never use full pronouns (as far as I know). I also want to know if you prefer "let's final combination" in English, native language or Japanese (because anime)?

Actually, make "have all the in-game words translated into Japanese" be a stretch goal anyway, because shouting "Sore ga moeru!!" (says Google) after every statement can only lead to even more fun!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The Resistance can be proxied with a deck of cards, or basic lands from MTG, since you basically just need "good guys" and "bad guys". Avalon rules involve writing "Merlin", "assassin" and so on the lands.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Bubble-T posted:

My wife asked me "are there any other games like Race for the Galaxy?" last night (it's by far her favourite game). After discussing San Juan and Glory to Rome we talked about it a bit and figured out she's [i]probably[i] looking for a game that:

* Plays in 30 minutes, 45 max
* Involves building a thing - tableau or tile laying particularly
* Is competitive but not destructive
* The less fiddly (particularly in setup) the better

Games we like that don't fit the bill are Carcassone (not deep enough to play constantly), 7 Wonders (2 player sucks), Bohnanza (2 player sucks). Paperback and Boggle mean we have more than enough word games. She wasn't a fan of Tash Kalar or Pax Porfiriana because of their destructive aspects. She's fine with just about any theme or complexity - enjoys Dungeon Lords, Le Havre, Chaos in the Old World etc.

I have Dominion and Agricola All Creatures Big And Small on my shortlist at the moment, is there anything else I should be aware of? Are any of the alternate Carcassone versions (hunters and gatherers etc.) worth looking at?

edit: Our collection - https://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/tvhees

Possibly slightly too long, but Targi is a 2 player favourite of mine. It's worker placement with very few options but a lot of depth, and it feels really thematic. Otherwise, I don't know if you can fit Galaxy Trucker into under an hour of play, but the destructive aspects don't feel as rough as in many other games.
And lastly: Get Hanabi, even though it's co-op. It's the drat best short game I've ever played, if you can handle not cheating and playing with the rules as intended.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

bobvonunheil posted:

Yeah, the small one's for the dice. It's better than just spilling them all over the table like a filthy animal.

Unfortunately you do need the cloth bag to play (or something similar) because the tiles are double sided. The box lid should work in the meantime if you hold it high and draw from that.

Or, you know, any other cloth bag you have laying around.

Anyway: Either I am absolutely brilliant at Tash-Kalar, or my girlfriend is completely stupid at it. To the point that I beat her 9-0 or 9-2, which basically means that it's not fun for her and not too hot for me either. Is there any obvious thing that she might be missing and that I can't put my finger on? She's learned to focus on objectives and not on killing me, but she just can't make it happen. I am not even playing particularly agressively, I mostly let her do her own thing unless there's a good "destroy" objective out.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Eh, it's not that difficult to see the movie: Four dudes settle with their friends on an island called Catan and build their homesteads, building first towns and later cities. We follow one guy who creates some great roads between his settlements, while some other guys keep trying to claim his territory. This will of course not have much to do with Catan gameplay, but who cares? It's a movie that could easily be about the settling of Iceland.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Trip report: Ghost Blitz with house rules: So, that game is basically "turn over a card, and depending one what's on the card, grab one of five objects faster than everyone else". The game itself includes an optional rule that states that whenever a book appears on a card, you have to say the name of the thing instead of grabbing it. Naturally, we decided that this should be done in German. But then we figured, what the hell, whenever there's a ghost on the card, you need to say it in French. And if both appeared, use English. Short version: This pushed us way over the limit of what our brains could process. It was awesome, but not for the faint of heart. Also, I don't speak French. This was slightly problematic.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

wisdomHNOX posted:

Thanks for the tips guys. Mage Knight looks like a bit of a complexity leap for us right now, but we watched the video of The Cave and it looks right up our alley. She seems to gravitate towards the indirect conflict games like Agricola.

I was also looking at getting Tash-Kalar based on the hype from this thread, along with Hanabi.

Mage Knight requires a lot of time to learn, so skip it if you're not okay with your first couple of games being confusing and filled with looking up stuff in the rules. But when you've become hardcore, reconsider it. Also, Hanabi and Tash-Kalar are awesome, get them both. Hanabi is such a cheap game that is so very good* that there's no excuse for not buying it.

*this is my view, not the thread consensus. The consensus is wrong.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dungeon Lords rules question: If I send two trolls into the "magic" room, what do I get from it?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Rutibex posted:

The second biggest draw of the hobby is of course emergency preparedness. The modern world is scary; a North Korean EMP bomb could cripple the entire continent of America with no notice. Or maybe a solar flair; or simple civil disturbances take out the power! Oh no! When there are no iPads and no Xboxs, no kindles or gameboys then the man with with Agricola set will be king :twisted:

This is the best reason for playing board games. Anything else is just pretence.

Also, regarding Dominion/Dominion clone chat: It think a lot of the reason there is a clone market is that people like me feel that deckbuilding is a great mechanic, but not a great game. Dominion has pretty much no visible gamestate, except how much has been bought from each stack, which only tells you how far into the game you are, not who's doing what. I need something out there that tells me how everyone is doing in some way. Star Realms fulfils this desire pretty much by influence/HP and bases: I have more HP than the opponent, this means I am winning. I am happy Or I have no HP, which means by more bases/HP giving stuff. In Dominion, I can go "yeah, there's not a lot of provinces left, game's about to end", but it doesn't really tell me anything about who's doing well, I have to remember every card everyone has bought basically, and that is unattractive to me. Building a game on top of the deckbuilding mechanic pretty much cheapens the mechanic and the balance and so on, which is why every drat Dominion clone is worse mechanically, while simultaneously being more enjoyable to people like me.

Incidentally, the gamestate is also why euros are not best single player. You should react to whatever's out there, and that requires other players to change in most designs. Mage Knight does changing gamestate without using players, but that's a rare feat really.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In some ways, a nuclear apocalypse would be Agricola: The LARP

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

T-Bone posted:

More on Counterfeit-Dominion gate -- does anyone's Intrigue say 'Made in USA' on it?

Wait, what? People are counterfeiting Dominion?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Bubble-T posted:

Uhh.. Ticket To Ride? Are trains not modern enough?

Tough requirements, actually.

This is why we have gateway games. Carcassonne and Catan might actually be good options too, because they are simple as gently caress to understand and can be used to trick people into more complex stuff later.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

jmzero posted:

I had a vague plan of doing up some nice Dominion boxes for quite a while... then I just went and bought the stuff and it ended up taking a single night (including staining/woodburning the boxes). It's really easy stuff to work with and get good results. I find it works really good to mix foamcore with cardboard; you end up with good rigidity, and your interfaces are really easy to do (you slit the foamcore and notch the cardboard). As to wood boxes, all the tools and materials are so much better now than I remember from wood shop.

Yeah, anything a school could afford was crap to begin with, and years and years of kids abusing the tools did not make for a good experience.

Tash-Kalar is a pretty good game for plastic baggies though, mine fit each deck with tokens perfectly. Mage Knight on the other hand really needs a better solution that is also expansionproof.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

snuff posted:

Need some buying advice.

Going on a cabin trip this weekend with 5-6 other guys I've known all my life, good food, beer and boardgames. I'm bringin a couple of games:

Sheriff of Nottingham (Played this a bunch, love it but max. 5 players)
Skull (Great, especially when drunk)
Love Letter (I can fit this in my pocket so why not?)
King of New York (Should be good, plays up to 6 but how well?)
Avalon (Never played it but I think it'll be a hit in this group)
Ticket to Ride (Classic, everyone knows it but max. 5 players)

My question is, should I get 7 wonders or will I be more than happy with my current games?

Not getting 7 Wonders is a mistake always. Skip the expansions though. I don't know about your group, but I know I'd be wanting something slightly heavier at some point, maybe Agricola or BSG or Power Grid or something, depending on your tastes?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

If the thing holding you back from playing Dominion is that it doesn't have a pointless board or that the theme isn't boring enough, I guess it's the game for you. I'd recommend Dominion anyway, though.

If you're one of the people who feel like Dominion is a mechanic that someone forgot to add a game to, the board actually does a lot of of good. I would much rather play Trains than Dominion because the board makes it feel like a proper game and not just a mechanic. I have not played Trains enough to say whether you can actually ignore the board totally.

Also, the trash mechanic is basically the same as shuffling victory points into the deck, except it can be interacted with in more interesting ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Which more interesting ways?

You can build your engine around trashing it, you can have cards that lets you discard/trash waste for various effects and you can try to avoid getting it in the first place.

I'm not even saying that Trains is that good of a game (though I found it enjoyable), I'm just saying that it actually feels like a game, unlike Dominion.