Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

I feel demanding a game have a board before you call it a board game is needlessly pedantic

After all, being a game is not a requirement for something to be called a boardgame. Snakes and Ladders has no meaningful gameness, but it's still a boardgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Elder Sign and Star Realms are both excellent tablet/phone games though, since they have enough luck to be unpredictable but still enough actual choice that you aren't just rolling dice and seeing what happens. Also you can ragequit on the AI and there is only your own AP.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I feel like Skull does what Sheriff does except simpler and with less bloat and luck. Sheriff makes decisions more easy because the draw limits you, but in the end, it's about whether your opponents believe you or not. Welcome to the Dungeon is the same, Skull plus bloat that adds theme and makes decisions easier.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Jungle Speed is sufficiently water proof, but you'll need a surface and probably get to touch some moobs while trying to act fast.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Also, Domnion has close to no tactical decisions, but a lot of strategy. This means that any individual turn should require very little thinking, except in cases where you have several action cards, which you should avoid as much as possible.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's just a reskin, right?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The Grey posted:

I'm not sure this is the right place for this, but...

Complete gaming novice here. My wife and I are going on vacation in a couple weeks and will have some significant free time at airports and hotels. Can anyone recommend a good travel game for two people? Maybe a card game? I'm thinking something that is compact, fairly easy to learn, and won't take hours to finish.

Look into Hanabi. It co-op, and you need to keep a poker face even though it doesn't benefit you for it to be fun. But if you can do that, it's great.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Agricola may not have been specifically marketed as hard, but it is recommended with a strong emphasis on not starving to death.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Goons dont do stuff! We just sit around and complain about stuff!

That should be an essential part of any design team though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

It would be interesting to see that made into a heuristic for a machine learning algorithm. Teach it the rules of Dominion, and then let it try to figure out new cards by having other sims play each other.

Has anyone made a neural network for Dominion cards, like @roborosewater does with MTG? Because that could be fun in its own way I think.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Well then maybe the other players should pull their weight :colbert:

The point is that they are too inexperienced to contribute meaningfully. If I have played Pandemic fifty times and the others have never played it, I will see many patterns and opportunities which they won't. My choices are to shut up and play badly or to pull the entire weight. The inexperienced players have no choice, they have to suggest bad ideas essentially.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Chiming in late to say that Colt Express is a good and fun light game that your family should enjoy. The awesome 3D board makes everyone have a good first impression, and the gameplay is solid but chaotic. You do have to shoot people a lot, but you could give the hot chick character to the biggest baby, her power is that you can't choose to shoot her if you can hit someone else.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pandemic and Pandemic Legacy are great already with two players. Agricola: all creatures big and small is a two player have with a decent amount of theme and good depth, though it is competitive. But it has small wooden animals that are awesome! Hanabi is one of my favourites too, and it fits in a pocket or so for playing anywhere that's not too windy. The theme is abstract at best, but the gameplay is simple and interesting.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Machi Koro without expansion is playable in a light and random way though, not a recommendation but also not Munchkin bad. The expansion just sucks balls in a bad way.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

little munchkin posted:

hey yall, does anyone know of any ice-breaker games (the get-to-know-each-other kind) that aren't super lame?

Every drat dedicated icebreaker game is lame more or less by design, since they basically consist of mechanisms to force players to divulge personal information with a shell of game on top. I think The Fat Penguin does this fairly well if you're into that, but it's not gonna be a good gaming experience.

The related and less personal option is quiz games. Timeline is the best I know of, so get that, it takes like ten seconds to explain and five minutes per round.

The third option is social games. I think secret identities is suboptimal, but ones that rely on references are great. Codenames is great for outing nerdy frames of reference, same for Dixit.

Fourth option requires people who don't mind learning rules for a bit. Basically, make the game force people to talk, either about solutions in co op games like Pandemic or Forbidden Island or about who to gently caress up and why in gotcha heavy games like Colt Express Or Tsuro or something. I'm drawing a bit of a blank on actual titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

interrodactyl posted:

Would love recommendations for a relatively lightweight 2p co-op game. The sweetspot in terms of difficulty / complication has been Pandemic - we've just started Pandemic Legacy after playing the base game a dozen or so times and they're loving the discovery process.

I'm looking specifically for co-op stuff because Magic has been the top choice for directly competitive. Although I'd love to grab Spirit Island, after playing it on TTS, it's definitely too much for them to keep in mind at once and still enjoy. Space Alert has been a little too anxiety inducing with the time limit, so I'm trying to figure out what the options in the middle are.

I just finished yet another game of Hanabi with my wife. It is probably our most played game, and 90% of the games have been just the two of us. It is a good little game, especially once you accept that cheating makes it less fun.