Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I actually just got to play my pandemic-halted Clank Legacy game a few weekends back. I had a lot of fun, but gently caress a duck it is so much faff. It took like 2 hours to play Clank. And I like Clank and I like the legacy bullshit, but afterwards I was like, "Sheesh, kinda wish that was still 45 minutes quicker."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Codeacious posted:

Finally got Eclipse Second Dawn to the table. I originally got it just before the 'rona, and was looking forward to it. But... I kinda hated it?

My layer 1 sector draw had ancients, and before I could draw my layer 2, the player next to me (who went before me) drew it and it also had ancients. My 3s all were mediocre compared to the other options (and I had to throw away another ancient guarded sector in there, wasting more time), and the one Discovery Tile I drew was... A warp portal. So everyone else had extra resources, income, and more from their sectors and tiles and I was stuck with only starting income for three rounds. And when I finally scraped up enough to fight the ancients and break out, the player next to me moved in too, and beat me due to a very good set of rolls on his end. I spent the next two hours passing after 1 action, waiting for everyone else to play. I eventually got four ships in the last round to do some amount of combat.

The worst part is my score was decent, but I didn't have *fun*. I didn't get to customize ships or do any counterplay or all the fun interactions I saw around the rest of table because the way my section of the map played out. And that sucked. The final combat came down to a 50/50 roll of who would win the game, which felt weirdly gross. In TI4 I'd be excited during that combat, but here it felt... Wrong and arbitrary.

Overall it felt like a game with worse RNG than TI4, not like the Euro version of a 4x I hear everyone raving about.

You ran into what is probably the the biggest problem with Eclipse. To make it have that exploratory feel, it basically needs to have randomness in sector distribution, but that can be incredibly unfair. This is slightly lessened if you play smaller games with 4 or less players because each player can expand in their own way and not get pinched in by an opponent as much, but it makes the game slightly less interactive. Beyond that, yeah, sometimes you just get hosed. Once playing 1st ed, I got blockaded from the center on turn 2 or 3 by the ship-building race as the tech-researching race before I got a decent science planet. I was stuck for like 4 turns before I could get out, and it was late enough that there were no more III tiles to expand outwards. So I could do very little during those few hours.

I still love Eclipse to bits, but it can be unfair. Despite it's reputation, it is not a pure euro where you measure your strategic might. It is a bit more of a "make hay while the sun shines" "repeated accretion of value" "opportunism" kind of game.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

!Klams posted:

YEESSSSSS

:sickos:

Legit, I wish I had the free brainpower to do this kind of bullshit for board gaming nights, and just be King Dork for one afternoon.

Playing Tokaido? Make some of the Japanese dishes featured in the game, Sushi, Miso, etc.
Playing The Great Zimbabwae? Make up some Bunny Chow. (Yes, it's South African but it's something I have been curious to try ever since hearing of it like a decade ago, and I didn't see any South African games that seem like I'd want to play. Not that Zimbabwae doesn't also have some troublesome games.)
Playing Concordia? Uh, make Focaccia with 'fresh' Garum or something, I dunno. No one knows what the Romans ate; they probably ate marble.
Playing Netrunner? Hand everyone an unflavored block of firm tofu.
Playing Donner Dinner Party? Well, ahem.. I suppose you won't be around for that one.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

You got a problem with Apicius? :colbert:

Yes of course I DO know what that is. But for those watching at home, why don't you tell everyone else what that is?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

!Klams posted:

VinceMcMahonFallingOffChair.gif

Also, I mentioned this task to my GF because I am a grown man who tells his SO about the funny he made on the internet because. She made the best possible suggestion for a Themed Snack of Dune.

:imunfunny: Sand-wiches :razz:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

!Klams posted:

...neither of you specified the Bene Gesserit connection, so I'm afraid you lose five points.

Is this a joke about the Bene Gesserit being mostly/all women and the misogynistic meme "make me a sandwich"? Or is there something in Dune I don't get to make this less offensive? I only know the basics of the setting.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Shadow225 posted:

For US peoples, I am auctioning off a large portion of my collection on BGG. All bids start at $9, so may get some sweet deals.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/291776/holiday-9-auction-el-grande-big-box-forbidden-star

So, how does the "Paypal and through the BGG Marketplace" actually work? I see some modern vendors say Paypal but then they also accept normal rear end credit cards without an account. I ask because I don't really use Paypal basically ever. The last time I tried to use it, I literally could not give the person my money for some frigging reason and I had to mail them a personal check like a caveman.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Shadow225 posted:

Basically, you pay the seller directly via paypal, and the seller 'logs' it via BGG. BGG sees the log, notes 3%, and puts that on the seller's 'tab'. Once the tab gets to $10, BGG will send the seller an invoice.

You, as a buyer, only have to worry about getting funds to the seller. I do not have a way to deal with credit cards, but if you have Venmo that also works with me. If you wanted to get real esoteric, we could talk about like Steam or Amazon gift cards or what have you. If you win a bid, just say hey I am Magnetic North and we'll go from there.

Alright, I'll take that under consideration. I've paid goons for games before (gutterdaughter and Jimbozig) so they can attest to my honor.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Spent my afternoon making a print and play version of Rocky Mountain Man from Nate Hayden and Blast City Games. Same designer from Cave Evil and other such impossibly out of print games that have cult followings.

As someone who read a few 1820-30s mountain man memoirs this year, this seems relevant to my interests.

What is a "folio game"? The only description I found was from Decision Games and reads like a marketing blurb. Is it just descriptive of the fact that it doesn't come in a box? As in, it's just paper and sheets that can fit into a manila folder, or something?

I'm going to watch the how to play video later, but it's like 90 minutes long, so I'll ask now: do you think a non-wargamer could grok this?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

RCarr posted:

Edit: I watched a YouTube video on it and it makes a little more sense now, but :lol: at trying to get my 65 year old mother to learn how to play this.

I imagine the video was Watch It Played's Wingspan tutorial. Rodney is certainly the gold standard in rules videos. The other two good places to check are Gaming Rules with Paul (here explaining Yokohama) and JonGetsGames with Jon (here explaining Hanamikoji). Jon's format has changed a few times, but commonly includes a more holistic approach to understanding a game including gameplay and some strategy instead of a straightforward recitation of rules. It's up to you what style you'd rather see.

Even as an experienced gamer (tm) I find learning rules cold in front of others very difficult, and commonly intimidating or frustrating. Lots of rulebooks are just not laid out well, and even if they were everyone learns and processes information differently anyway so it might not work for you. Also, learning it with others around is taking away from gaming time.

Before any game day, here are what I suggest:

See if there is a youtube video about it. Even if it's not the three resources I put above, there are other ways. Sometimes a fan does it for fun (though this can include errors), sometimes corporations commission their own videos, such as this one from Queen Games explaining Alhambra, and some 'actual play' videos will include a rules explanation. Finally, some reviewers include cursory descriptions of rules, but I'd use that only as a last resort because they common gloss over large parts of it. Whatever video you find, if you think players would be amenable, you can forward them the link too, but I admit, every time I do this, absolutely no one has watched the link.

Read the rulebook ahead of time. The first time you read it should probably not be in front of others. Give yourself the time to try and absorb the information. In addition, when you do this, I suggest having the pieces at hand if you can. Then you can manipulate them and set things up, which can help increase your understanding. It may reference pieces or types of cards or something that is just not clear without handling them physically. Most good rulebooks will have an image that shows components and setup if you can't handle the pieces while reading (you're reading the rulebook in bed or something).

If there are questions, type "game name rule question" into your favorite search engine. Especially for popular games, in all probability someone has asked the question before on Reddit or BGG, and this is the easiest way to find it. Often times the game's designer, developer or publisher will answer authoritatively and other times it's just fans which can have an error, but at least on these forums someone can reply to try and correct the error.

If possible, try to experience the game before explaining the game. There are several safe ways to do this. The easiest way would be to find an 'actual play' board game product, and there are some out there. The most famous being the defunct Tabletop but that won't include anything in the last 5 years. The next easiest way is to be taught by someone who already knows the game or to teach the game to experienced gamers. They will have the easiest time getting it and will find holes in your explanation.

For a high-tech solution for learning certain games, you can also play them online. BoardGameArena is a free(ish) website with many licensed board game implementations played right in your browser. Unlike many other similar virtual board gaming products like Tabletopia or Tabletop Simulator, it includes rules enforcement so it does not rely on you to know everything; the computer will prevent you from cheating. If that's available, you could play it and learn that way. Also, many popular games have full-on apps, that are essentially video games with the exact same rules. These include Ticket To Ride, Through The Ages, Root, Sagrada, and Concordia. Of course, software development costs money so these are not free, and it would suck to buy a game twice (physical and digital) and then realize you don't like it. But you can learn games from them; it's how I learned Through The Ages, which is the pinnacle of board game app achievement.

Finally, you could set up and work through a few turns by yourself, playing as each player and trying to follow along with the rules. Some games actually include solo rules now, but they are still in the minority.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Wingspan has 4 actions. Those actions are "put down a bird" and "do what it says on a row of your player mat" three times.

Finally, goons will say this type of thing sometimes. Ignore them. Game complexity is a logarithmic scale, and learning more games will make learning new games easier and easier. That's a good thing, but the problem is that some gamers either forgot how hard it is to learn at the start, possibly because they have been playing games since they were literally children and have simply forgotten how hard it was to start. Even if Wingspan is simple compared to Terra Mystica or 1830, it is still massively more complicated than Coup or Love Letter.

Also, remember that while board games are for everyone, not every game is for everyone. It's possible that Wingspan is beyond your non-gaming mother, and that's okay. If she has interest and motivation to learn, that's wonderful, and if not there are lots of great simpler games.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

If they keep pushing it like that it might release after WoW and Blizzard die.

*hawkeye gif* Don't give me hope.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Even with my yet-unplayed copy of 1830, I'd consider jumping on this, except for Kickstarter's loving blockchain grift-baloney.

Do GTGs games go to retail?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

silvergoose posted:

I would imagine it would be very hard for ks to change pre-existing campaigns...

It's more the principle of the thing. And nothing against the people who utilize KS, this is just dumbfuckery on the part of the company themselves.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Got to play Eclipse 1st Edition yesterday. First time playing only 3 players. Had a very good time as usual. Played the Rho Indi Syndicate (space pirates). Created OP interceptors early and started steamrolling the galaxy, made big tactical errors and lost 3/4 fights turn 9 to lose the game, which was frustrating but oh well. I also kept doing something then realizing I didn't have the power on the ships to do it. Starting with shields was low-key huge, but only two colony ships means take the influence action more. I really needed to get more lozenges but my science was poo poo.

Game owns.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

The Eyes Have It posted:

I've been playing Eclipse Second Dawn for the Galaxy and the new edition is such an improvement. It's still Eclipse, so if you don't dig that, that won't change -- but it's really improved in all the right ways. The organizers / storage boxes alone speed up the game setup and teardown by a ton. Everything is super well thought out, I love it.

I might have sprung for this if my guy didn't already own basically everything for 1st ed already. If we do get it, I'm just gonna buy it and give it to him, since he's already paid so much.

Playing with all the silly expansion content is cool except that every five minutes you have to pause and check 3 different rulebooks.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

The Eyes Have It posted:

I like 7 Wonders just fine, but if turns are taking longer than 7 seconds MAX then I might as well be going out for popcorn.

It's super snappy on BoardGameArena. I think it's a premium game, tho.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

We've played Gloomhaven and a KDM campaign as well. Any other recs?

If you like regular Clank, Clank Legacy is decent (so far, we have not finished it do to everything happening all the time at once forever). If you don't like it or haven't tried it, I can't recommend it in a vacuum since Clank is not for everyone.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Suddenly Susan posted:

KDM, being the second biggest (by $)tabletop Kickstarter, has introduced a lot of new people into this hobby. It would be great if this thread welcomed those people and broadened their horizons to alternatives rather than immediately making GBS threads on them and the thing they are enjoying.

How many people are honestly being introduced to hobbyist board games through something that costs hundreds of dollars? The average backer spent $378 on KDM. In my estimations, sure, maybe they were wargamers or miniatures gamers before, but I just have trouble imagining someone coming off the street and being hype for a board game like that from the get go. Maybe this is painting with a broad brush, but your average non-gamer is not hyped for something complicated, and this is known to general pop culture.

Besides, the original KDM had 5000 backers, which sounds like a lot, but Joking Hazard had 60,000 and Exploding Kittens had 200,000 backers. This is partially because they came with established fan bases but those bases were not directly related to board games. It's the same way that Ghostbusters board game might get someone into board games or a promotional Bob Ross card might get someone into Magic.

Now, those games aren't thread favorites either, but aren't those much more likely on-ramps for the hobby? On top of everything, they are easier, shorter, do not contain a required hobby element and do not have a campaign element to disappointingly trail off if life gets complicated. I have to imagine the success of simpler games like those is some part of why those games and hobbyist board games have a section in Target right now and not just Monopoly.

So, I remain dubious that KDM "introduced a lot of new people into this hobby."

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Llyranor posted:

Phil gets a salary from Ion, so anything that helps keep the lights on benefits Phil

Personally, F Ion

Yeah, didn't they also walk back their commitment to review or curtail the various nonsense "-ist" screeds he's been publishing? Ion are unprincipled cowards and parroting harmful ideas and so should not get any of anyone's money until they separate themselves from that fucker.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

CitizenKeen posted:

Well, that sucks about Stationfall. I backed, and have been eagerly awaiting it. It seems like it'll fill a really good niche in my collection. drat.

Don't feel too bad. Those types of garbage humans pray on people just not knowing. I mean, how commonly before consuming a product do we check that the people behind it, just in case they lack even the most basic human decency? Obviously with modern consumer and media literacy, it's becoming more and more necessary, but our default feelings of 'they're probably normal levels of decent, or within some range thereof' doesn't always hold up. Virtually all of us had to be told what a shitdick Eklund is by someone who knew and cared enough to share; I learned from goons. The only difference is some of us were lucky enough to find out they before parting with any dollars, but that is not a moral judgement.

It might be a pain, but you could resell it. That way you are preventing at least one additional sale.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

homullus posted:

Phil Eklund thinks colonialism and capitalism were net positives, anthropogenic climate change isn't real, and almost nobody's died of COVID; I think he's wrong on all three poo poo opinion counts and won't buy his games. "One person drawing salary at a game company has some poo poo opinions, so I will never play any game from that company" is too high a bar for me. Definitely a fan of people purchasing/not purchasing in line with their values though.

This is going to sound more critical than I mean it to be. I know everyone has to draw the line somewhere. Cue Sonic.jpeg of There's No Such Thing As Ethical Consumption Under Capitalism. But hear me out.

One of the more industy-facing goons can correct me, but I'd attest that this guy's is something of a special case. I don't believe there are tons of designers drawing a salary from companies that they don't also own; most that are employees are owner-operators (Ryan Laukat and Red Raven Games, and I think Uwe Rosenberg and Lookout IRRC?) or not employees and simply independent contractors (The good Dr. K, Emerson Matsuuchi, etc). Cole Werle (Leder) and previously Eric Lang (CMON) and Corey Konieczka (FFG) are the three I can think of that were actual employees. The independent ones get paid in advances / royalties instead of salary, though I imagine that the employed ones get royalties or something as well.

If someone's an independent contractor, all you have to do is avoid their games and the royalties never go to them; if their games don't sell, people might not buy their future games. If someone owns the company, you avoid the publisher and the profits never register and the owner potentially has to fold the business. Those cases are the ones we're used to in the board game world, and are simple.

However, when someone is an employee of a company, then that person is getting paid so long as they are employed. More explicitly, that company's success means that person will likely be retained, and if they were to suffer a cash shortfall then perhaps that person would have to be let go. So, if you buy something unrelated from the publisher who is paying the garbage human, then some portion of that money is going to feeding and clothing the garbage human.

I just think that perhaps it is time for this particular garbage human to be faced with the realities of capitalism that he loves so much where people rationally decide to buy their games from publishers who don't financially support these particular garbage humans.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

If he had a different publisher, I'd agree. But he didn't.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Frozen Peach posted:

I wrote about my favorite/best board games i played this year.

https://geek.gay/2021/12/21/the-best-board-games-of-2021-that-i-played/

I see someone is in the pocket of Big Good Doggo.

I tried to get my group to try Nidavellir on BGA but no one bit :(

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Llyranor posted:

-did you know that the Holocaust happened because of "bankers"?
-Hitler was racist, but he must have had his reasons

Jesus gently caress, I somehow missed hearing about those two. I mean, not that there was any real doubt based on everything else he was saying that he was likely an anti-semite, but still a big yikes-a-rooni there.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

Compared to all the human rights violations and coups perpetrated by the other corporations I patronize daily without thinking about it, boycotting Ion seems arbitrary and capricious to me. I guarantee the CEO of Asmodee has done worse, but cloaked in acceptable liberalism.

Beyond everything else that's wrong with what you said, do we really want to get mired into some discussion of what's "worse" than transphobia, anti-semitism, etc? If that isn't already bad enough for you to not give him money, then I suppose that's really all there is to it, and I welcome you to shower that fascist rocket man with all of your bitcoins.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

silvergoose posted:

gschmidl posted:

Eklund: the Musk of board games?
Nah eklund did design some things.

This rejoinder needs to not be forgotten. :perfect:

I am as disgusted at the lickspittle goons trying to justify their luxury goods purchases from known avowed bigots as I am pleased that there are posts being like "People bringing it up like this is how I heard he was a shitbag, too bad it was after I bought some games, but at least I know better now." It's that second one which is the important thing. Every person we inform is a victory, and every person to whom we demonstrate why its important to inform people is another victory. Some people will just continue to support Eklund, whether they think it doesn't matter (I disagree) or they are unwilling to disengage from their selected luxury novelty good (ehh I get it but I wish you'd reconsider) or they are just loving fascists (in which case gently caress you sideways).

But if we keep bringing it up, there will be fewer stories of people with decency who found out only after they parted with their money.

Also, if you still want to play HF or whatever, just buy it on the secondary market ffs.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Tekopo posted:

I think this thread needs a new start. The OP is out of date and to be honest I’ve been kind of out of the loop in terms of recent developments for board gaming. So if anyone wants to create a new OP and thread, I think now it’s a good time to do it.

poo poo, if someone makes a new OP, they need to make it themed around Filthy Rich. The last time we got a new thread with T&E themeing, it got reprinted, so I need that to get my Filthy Rich reprint. I'd do it now but I'm on lunch at work and I also have no artistic talent.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

GOTY discussions this year will be brief for me, since I still played very few board games this year, and very few ones new to me, since I haven't had the energy to play terribly complicated games even after getting vaxxed and having restrictions laxed. (Did play Eclipse recently though, and that was great.)

Runners up:

Piece o' Cake: I got the Japanese version, which I talked about briefly here. It's an I Split, You Choose about dividing up pieces of cakes into sections, and set-collection of the different types of cake. You can't reorder the pieces, you just cut it into up to as many parts as there are players. You can also just 'eat' the pieces for points, but then they don't count towards having majority. It has gone over fantastically well with everyone I've shown it to. The choices are always awkward and you have to try and discern what people want and how to get it that the piece that will be left will be one that helps you. A terrific filler that you can apply brainpower to if you so desire.

Android: Netrunner: Reports of its death have been greatly exaggerated. Again, talked about it in the thread in the past here. It's been revived and kept going by one of the best and most effective card game fan collectives ever. I've only gotten to play a little, but I am hyped to get more in during the new year. It's the perfect methadone for all use that got tired of being abused by MTG.

Game of the Year:
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Baker Street Irregulars: This game is loving terrific. It's narratively compelling, contemplative, fulfilling, engaging, occasionally uplifitng or even quite humorous. It was everything I could have wanted, as close to perfect as is reasonable. I talked about it a fair bit in the draft thread.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

So, taxonomy by players/weight is useless.

Instead, OP should have games listed by theme/mechanics since that's what most people like anyway.

This is wrong for two reasons.

1: I've said it before and I'll say it again: some people who are incredibly entrenched into the hobby have utterly forgotten what it is like to be new. Normally this takes the shape in the form of snobbishly gatekeeping complexity, but it can also come in the form of having too great of expectations of new players. Many new players have no idea what they like or don't like because they haven't played many hobbyist board games if any. Sure, some have penetrated the mainstream mindsphere like Ticket To Ride or Codenames, but you can't build a terribly helpful suggestion for beginners on two to four games except in extremely broad strokes of complexity. This is why the terms 'gateway game' and to a lesser extent "next step games' have been so helpful. They are a place where anyone can start and be reasonably well assured that they won't be in over their heads. Also, by having them by in such an arrangement, someone who has come into board games through something like Tabletop or other gaming content on their own and might have played their first and second step games can then see the next step. It serves everyone to arrange it this way.

Now, we couldn't also have additional recommendations by mechanic for those that have an awareness, but a person who possesses the grammar to ask that kind of question can also be served by just asking in the thread. The OP is to serve people coming in 'off the street' and so I'd be in favor of leaving it somewhat leaner.

2: The importance of player count cannot be understated. If someone is only going to play with their spouse, that is going to be different than someone who plays with their three teenage children to someone who wants to break it out at parties. I would posit that most old-school mainstream games play at least 6 players, but that sets an unmet expectation on designer hobbyist board games. Maybe of them stop at 4. So, if you don't take player count into account, then you end up it turns out is not going to do what they want because oops it maxes at 4 or oops it's a 2 player game or oops it can play 2 but it kinda isn't great at that number. Then they are disappointed they spent $40-60$ on something that fails to be social lubricant that they wanted it to be. Maybe that is a small amount of money to you or I or many goons, but maybe it isn't to them, and now board games are related to the sting of loving up and wasting money and potentially drive them away. It's a part of the accessibility of this luxury goods hobby that many of us forget; not everyone can spring to drop $160 bucks on a game full of plastic they never play, so we need to be supportive consumers for one another and try and treat our co-gamer's money as valuable by giving them the recommendations most likely to succeed, not the Platonic Ideal of Good Game.

loving Goons posted:

:words: about $100 board games

Also, suggesting less expensive board games is good for selfish reasons of spreading the hobby. Lets say someone introduces their friends to Nemesis. Let's say that the complexity is not an issue, and they have a real good time. The other players think "I should consider getting this game and playing it with people other than the owner" but then they see the price. That game is $149 on Amazon right now. Do they have that money? Can they justify that to their spouse? It's really big; do they have space? Now reconsider if the game was Insider, which is $23 on Amazon. Those issues are smaller barriers. Which one is more likely to buy a version for themselves and become a proselytizer of the hobby?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Just saying “this is a lightweight game” is worthless to figure out if someone will like the actual game.

Did you actually read the post? We're talking about the OP, not theorizing about why people like games, the importance of thematic integration, or some concept of measuring different ways to find someone the perfect game for them. For the OP, the idea is:

Magnetic North posted:

They are a place where anyone can start and be reasonably well assured that they won't be in over their heads. Also, by having them by in such an arrangement, someone who has come into board games through something like Tabletop or other gaming content on their own and might have played their first and second step games can then see the next step. It serves everyone to arrange it this way.

The point is that games in the games in the OP are for (virtually) anyone. Broadly popular, stood the test of time, well liked, hopefully in print. Most importantly, they're separated by their complexity because that remains the most sensible and high-level angle to organize by because we don't know where on someone's board game journey someone else is. Is it possible that someone won't like it? Sure. But we're playing the percentages, which is all we can expect out of a static string of text.

Just to fully put any confusion to bed, let's consider at the opposite: Lets say we include cycling games in the OP. Well, is the OP going to contain listings for every possible variation on theme and mechanism? Games set in Japan? Drafting games? Games about stocks and finance? Worker placement games? Games about the world of high fashion and dressmaking? Also, what about games that might be recommended that fit no easily understood theme, like Magic Maze, where you're adventurers time-traveled into a modern shopping mall and are also cursed? This is not viable for an OP which is what we're talking about regardless if you weren't.

If someone wants to know if there is a cycling board game, they can ask in the thread or just take their chances googling it. They post "Gee willikers, my father in law loves cycling, and I love board games. How do I bridge these two worlds?" and you can slide in and say, "Well, let me tell you about this little number called Flamme Rouge."

On the other hand, If someone wanders in, wide-eyed, and wants to know what board games the thread consensus generally considers to be good and worth your money. that is a service that the OP can provide.

(For the record, Flamme Rouge is probably both good and about cycling. I have not played it. I'd buy it but one of my main light game players in my group dislikes 'deckbuilding'.)

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Kalko posted:

Why not? I'm not planning to or anything, I've just only started reading this thread again recently so I'm curious.

A lot of successful kickstarters are over-hyped over-plasticed under-baked trash. For instance, if someone suggests you check out a game and you see the publisher is Steamforged or Awakened Realms, you need to be extra cautious, especially because someone might have spent $300 on something that actually sucks and is trying to convince themselves they didn't waist their money.

The main rule for backing Kickstarter board games (besides "don't") is "No Rules? No Pledge!"

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Tekopo posted:

This happened before so someone better be getting busy writing that OP just about now. I’ll be hanging like a sword of Damocles on this thread until then

I might start today. No idea how long it will take to chew through all the suggestions. I'll try and take these posts on board, but holy moley there are a lot of excellent games.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Tekopo posted:

The next OP better be Zendo themed or I’m gonna go spare

That'd be a very good choice.

I wrote up a bunch for a new OP this morning then realized that I wasn't likely to have time to tackle anything this week due to work. Here's the pastebin if someone feels adventurous.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Can we not find any instance of where any of the above ties in to board gaming?
I feel that it is a huge mistake to even respond to your bullshit, because it appears clear to me that you are just trolling. But just in case you're actually that loving insulated from how bad the trad games world is, here we go:

These are mostly BGG threads, mostly because those are the easiest for me to find again. Unlike SA, BGG erases posts that violate the rules so sometimes they are hard to follow or see the gross poo poo people saying dismissing these problems.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2451239/consimworld-crushing-support-black-lives-matter-ju A wargame site removing BLM support
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2581258/daniele-tascini-doesnt-see-color-and-s-bad A famous designer thinking its okay to call black friends the Italian version of the N-word?
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2612018/can-we-talk-about-women-box-cover Poor representation of women on a box cover got responded to by massive brigades by poopy diapers
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2694874/phil-eklund-prolific-board-game-designer-has-poste Transphobia
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2526491/another-bios-game-another-essay-defending-climate Anthropogenic climate change denialism
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2477850/disappointed-alma-mater-has-no-characters-color-al Whitewashing of so-called history, even after another designer informed them that people of color actually existed at universities in history
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2711990/speaking-against-broken-token Credible sexual assault allegations. (That reminds me of the slogan I forgot: Believe Women.)
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2721966/i-have-cancelled-my-pledge-after-learning-more-abo A kickstarter using white supremacist dogwhisltes (the OK sign). This one is hard to read because the two people peddling the poo poo (the designer and publisher) deleted their posts.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2636861/very-biased-game/page/2 A designer creates a racist board game. In a different thread he complained about this review, someone looked and saw he made racist comments in a different review, so he got banned.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2773119/what-wrong-asian-representation Asian represenation could be a lot better in FFG stuff (who are usually one of the better companies, to be fair)
https://www.dicebreaker.com/games/warhammer-40000-ninth-edition/news/warhammer-40k-gt-talavera-nazi-statement Nazis with swastikas were not thrown out at a Spanish tourney, causing a huge outrage

These are all in the last year or so, and there are others. Those are just the high points that came across my radar.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I appreciate the input from all the thread regulars.

Bottom Liner posted:

I did mean Antike Duellum and thought I edited that in but good catch. Only criticism for your OP is that it’s going to be a huge wall of text so I’d move the more meta-hobby stuff about publishers and all to a second post following the more informational stuff for readability.
Oh yeah, this might even be three posts. I just haven't broken it into pieces yet.

Saving these to refer to later. The more suggestions the better, although I am curating against availability and if I've seen the thread talk about them / they have at least some buzz.

Tekopo posted:

Regardless of if the new thread is up or not, I’m gonna close this thread on the first of January, earlier if the new thread is up.

:( yessir

Admiralty Flag posted:

Magnetic North,

As you mention big box stores for availability in your OP, can I make three suggestions mostly focused on games available from big box retailers?

2-player light: Azul* (* for technically 2-4)
3-5 light: Parks (I think if RollftGalaxy is Light, so is Parks; medium with Nightfall?)

Those are two worthy inclusions. And we are thinking the same thought: I was honestly thinking of putting in a few "widely available and pretty good starting places that might not quite be 'thread approved' " for things you can find at Target like Splendor, Love Letter, and TTR.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Can we put a disclaimer on or exclude Chicago Express (plus his other games) from the list of recommended games? The (white) designer adopts the pseudonym "Harry Wu" for some of his games for some weird reason, which is a practice of cultural appropriation (is this the right term?) that is both very weird and very off-putting to me. I don't know why white people like to cosplay as Asians as much as they do (see also Marvel's editor in chief), but it's really loving weird and they can all go gently caress themselves.

I glossed over Bohrer because I truly get the impression he is just and idiot and an rear end in a top hat, and doesn't realize the approriative harm of his psuedonyms possibly out of pure stubbornness, but that is no excuse and you're probably right that it should be included.

It's gonna be a long list of bad behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

New thread.

What's in the box?