Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I also recommend Boite a Jeux for online gaming. Bunch of games I don't play and this thread never mentions, but it does include Agricola, Dixit, Trajan, Castles of Burgundy, Tzolk'in, and Dungeon Petz. The server does crash sometimes, so you won't be able to take your turn, but it is great for asynchronous play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

h_double posted:

Thanks for the pointer to boiteajeux, lots of enticing things there! (Including what at first glance appears to be a less byzantine and clunky implementation of Agricola than the one on play-agricola.com)

I have played many, many games of Agricola on Boite a Jeux. Aside from server downtime when too many people are playing their turns, it's been great. I did have a friend struggle to play it on his phone; there's a notification that THIS TURN IS THE HARVEST that he kept missing for whatever reason.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

Real talk about Betrayal at House on the Hill:

It is a given that the game is completely unbalanced and busted, with often not totally clear rules in its scenarios, so my favorite way to play is by completely busting the game over my knee.

House rule: Double Traitors.
After the Haunt begins, reset the number of Omens that you roll against to zero (existing omens still remain in play.) Continue making Haunt rolls as new Omens are revealed, adding to the new total. It is now possible to start a second scenario, with an additional traitor or having the current traitor become a majestic Double Traitor. At this point it is unlikely that anybody will survive long enough to reveal a third traitor.

It's a given that Monopoly is a bad game, so I play with two sets of property cards, and each property can be purchased twice. Somebody can be both the property owner and have to pay rent when landing on a space! Just waiting for the chance to become the majestic Double Landlord of Boardwalk. I call this version WHY ON EARTH WOULD ANYBODY DO THIS, IT IS A TERRIBLE IDEA.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jabor posted:

Still better than the apparently-almost-universal house rules of "no auctions" and "you get money when you land on Free Parking".

Double properties would be worse than Free Parking Money -- cash would end up in trailing players' hands far more often, prolonging the game far more.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

I think the political stuff that some people here don't like is effectively a catch-up mechanic in Catan.

This is one of the two (main, valid) objections to Catan, though. Yes, the political thing is a catch-up mechanism in Catan, but A) it's the same catch-up mechanism in every political game, to the point that B) the political game is what Catan is about, possibly even more than any of the rules the game itself has. Why play--or recommend--Catan when it is the same political game as any other political game? Prettier pieces, maybe? Being able to finally really get "I have wood for sheep" jokes?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

A friend of mine loves zombies and zombie-related things (I don't know why, it's his "thing"), so his wife got him Zombie 15' for Christmas, which as near as I can tell was one of the best possible zombie game choices. I can't imagine playing through the 15 scenario campaign twice (each 15 minutes long real-time) after beating the game, since they are pretty linear as far as I could see, but it's definitely tense. We were playing with his two (teenage) daughters, and the game literally ended in tears after a stressful victory.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Gimnbo posted:

Was there actually anyone in the world at all who was clamoring for a Munchkin Gloom?

Keith Baker, maybe?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

h_double posted:

My friend who introduced me to Small World is of the opinion that it plays better by passing around an ipad/laptop hotseat style, rather than setting up the physical board. There's a lot of fiddly tokens, and not anything in the way of hidden information; it's not a game where the physicality of the components is a big thing.

Your VP/coins are supposed to be hidden information, to make it slightly harder to dogpile the leader. No, it doesn't really work.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mister Sinewave posted:

My only problem with Mage Knight is that the combat is so brain-burny for anything past small fights. It makes sense to plan the combat out in your head before committing (since once you start there are no re-do's so it benefits you to have it all planned before you go in) but that translates to a huge time sink and a lot of brain burn. Anyone else feel the same way? Maybe it's just us and how we play.

I only play it full co-op, so we always help with each other's turns. Also, if memory serves, the rules actually allow for some limited re-doing, as long as you haven't revealed new information.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Toshimo posted:

That's only because the Kickstarter for Homestuck Munchkin hasn't been fully funded yet.

I first read this as Homestar Munchkin and was conflicted for a nanosecond.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

COIN Gallic War this year!

Oh my goodness. The big turnoff of the COIN games for me was that I don't know anything about the conflicts they represent. This could be my gateway to them, since I actually know things about this one. I'm happy to wait for it to appear.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

If I could play Mage Knight on my phone, I probably would never stop playing Mage Knight.

And if they kept selling new characters, tiles, advanced actions, et cetera (of the same quality) I'd keep buying them. It would be like a more complicated Desktop Dungeons.

EdsTeioh posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers? My lady and I are huge fans of the base game, and I just recently discovered H&G (and how rare it is). Is this worth going out of my way to get a copy of?

If I recall, it's the same game but some of the field spaces are worth something different because of the animals.

homullus fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 20, 2015

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I would buy some kind of make-your-own game kit.

There was this "hilarious" "design" and "commentary" from 2013.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Panzeh posted:

Republic of Rome is still better.

Thanks for this! This is the game I got in college that was wayyyy over my head at the time, and my first semi-cooperative game. Matching what I now know and like about games, it's quite good! I think I sold my first edition copy, though. :(

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

They announced they are making a new D&D game featuring the Temple of Elemental Evil that will be compatible with the old games.

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/board-games/temple-elemental-evil

I've always wanted to try one of these fantasy swat team games but have stayed away so far. But I inherited the original ToEE module as a kid and that might be enough to push me over the edge on this one.

The board games in the series are fun, but I don't feel that they are very thematic for the individual topics (I don't have Drizzt, but I have the other two).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Azran posted:

I've never played Descent or Talisman or any kind of game in that genre. What would be a good "dungeon crawler/fantasy SWAT" game? Those D&D ones?

I think both Descent and the D&D games are your best choices for "dungeon crawler", but they're not very similar. For one, the players are against the (rather ingenious, if repetitive) AI in D&D, and one player is against all others in Descent. For another, Descent has expansions, while the D&D games are simply compatible if you want to make your own adventures. You also don't "level" much in the D&D game.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fungah! posted:

Yeah cats and maybe dogs are OK as long as the place doesn't smell like animals, but rodents are pretty much right out

Ferrets aren't rodents. They still smell, though.

Edit: apparently even brevity didn't get my response in faster.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

BioTech posted:

I played it for the first time last week and we didn't finish the first game because of the time, so I'd love to have another chance. I am in the EU, my posts might be at odd hours.

Discarded battle cards are open or not, it depends on what you decide beforehand. Manual says both are possible.

We have the played ones open, the discarded ones not, but I guess even knowing what the opponent's last two cards are could still be plenty of uncertainty!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Countblanc posted:

To add to the solo games with replayability pile, Archipelago with the single player expansion (like $10, it's a big ol' deck of cards) is my favorite SP board game.

Tell me why. I love Archipelago and don't get to play it with others very often.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Basically, although I meant to include a non 1v1 game as an example in the conflict category. In something like Chaos in the Oldworld, Eclipse, or Cyclades, or whatever, you have to expect some retaliation. In something like 'Gric or TTR, you can screw them out of an option and they might not be able to swing back.

A player in one of my gaming groups is bad at Agricola, or at least was, because his absolute favorite kinds of games are HIGHLY, highly political. Less political games still get the same drawing attention to/blaming others that is his key to winning political games -- justifying aggressive actions he takes as rightful retaliation, trying to get other people to attack those who have attacked him (it's kind of frustrating to play games with him sometimes, because of the reflexive posturing). In Agricola, a key thing that he took a while to learn is that going out of your way to hurt other people often costs you more than it gets you, and that you rarely want to "swing back" when somebody hurts you, even though mechanically you nearly always can in some fashion.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

My impression is that actively blocking other players is a pretty strong strategy in 2-3p games of Agricola. Keeping opponents out of animal food supply and room building actions (even doing poo poo like building a fence for no reason!). I'm not a pro though.

There are times when you unambiguously should block them, namely when you both want the resource in question (or family growth). There are times when you might choose this resource ahead of that one, so that you can get both AND block them at the same time. If you are blocking them in a harvest turn such that they will be forced to take begging cards, that can be a strong move. And of course it's possible that your engine and situation is so good that you have a worker that you could just do nothing with, so you may as well block. Otherwise, though . . . I'm no Agricola expert either, but I think it's better to build your "known" engine than to waste a precious move on their potential engine.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mentally going back through 70s-90s music with special attention to the Cold War resonance is pretty fun. I wish "Let's Make a Cold War Soundtrack" wasn't such a digression for this thread.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I have been playing games as long as I can remember and was lucky enough to have a group of like-minded friends back when (conveniently) GenCon was in Milwaukee and TSR's company store, The Dungeon, was in Lake Geneva. Back then, I loved Talisman and any game with a military/combat feel (Stratego, Risk, Conquest of the Empire, OGRE, Dungeon!, Car Wars). I loved TSR's bizarre minigames, especially Revolt on Antares. I had a friend who was even MORE into games than I was, and through him played a huge array of games, like Kings & Things, Globbo, Minion Hunter, The Rocky & Bullwinkle Role-Playing Game, the TMNT RPG, and dozens more I am sure. He went on to become an actual paid game designer (X-Wing Miniatures Game, Blood Bowl Team Manager, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3E) and I went on to write internet posts about games on my lunch hour.

College (contrary to expectation) ended my gaming, since all my college friends wanted to play was Euchre, and I didn't do any tabletop gaming of any kind until a (different) friend declared he wanted to do D&D4e decades later. Once I picked up boardgames again with him, it took about a year to move through Talisman (again), Arkham Horror, Small World, Settlers of Catan, and Shadows Over Camelot, and then I started playing objectively better games.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

In one of their podcasts, Quinns described 7 Wonders as 7 people cooking in the same kitchen. That analogy really fits for a lot of euros for me, for some reason.

That's not bad or unfun, of course. There have been a number of very successful shows based on a bunch of people cooking in the same kitchen, including Iron Chef and this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGrOK8oZG8

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

None that are out yet. I have a kickstarter for a game called Final Attack! that should hopefully be live by the end of next week. The cat is now officially out of the bag.

Final Attack! is a real-time cooperative social worker placement card game with a board. (Seriously.) It scales cleanly from 1-5 players and takes 20-30 minutes to play. In the game, you pilot component machines to a combining anime Super Robot, and you fight giant nigh-invincible shapeshifting mechanical beasts that can only be defeated by your TV show finisher, the Final Attack, which unfortunately takes an entire episode to charge.

Here's a short (6 minute) video that lightly describes how the game is played:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M23iDH1BI8

Once the campaign goes live, this thread will literally be the first to know. In the meantime, I'm willing to answer any questions or address any concerns.

I laughed at what WILL stands for.

Does boosting whatever those cards were also increase the failure effects?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

A basic example of an Enemy ID you'd encounter:

The general guidelines are "Alpha is inconvenient," "Beta is really inconvenient," and "If we reach Omega we lose."

I am excited about the formalized language/"social game" aspect (not that I'm not into the rest, but I already own Space Alert). It's one of the big outsider/new person/Ameritrash addict complaints about modern games, right? That it's not long before you are just asking for brown cubes instead of cows or wood or slaves? So a game that encourages you to speak under time pressure within the theme -- a ridiculous theme, at that -- is appealing to me.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Clockwork Gadget posted:

Broken Loose I am very excited to back your game and make my non-anime-watching wife roll her eyes as she has to scream with the power of friendship and self-respect. Thanks in advance.

This is another excellent facet of the game, one I hadn't considered.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Judging by the wording, I think you see that when you get to the Crown of Command. So it's worse because you had the opportunity to end it but failed. In fact, you can even see him grabbing the Crown in the picture.

I cannot even imagine how mad I'd be at a board game if I saw that.

No, but see, Talisman has a big runaway leader problem, so having a % chance that the runaway leader is utterly destroyed is balance.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Archipelago is pretty much Tragedy of the Commons: The Boardgame, and it's just as fascinating to watch how others act as it is to experience as part of the game.

Thanks for putting it that way, I'ma steal that. It's one of my favorite games, and that's one of the reasons.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Some people really would rather have their first experience be with the rulebook. Some people would really rather have their first experience be with a video. I'm in the former group, and will use videos after reading sometimes, especially before teaching the game. If you already know how you like to learn this stuff, ignore people who are telling you that you really need to do it the reverse way for Mage Knight, because they're full of poo poo.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Zveroboy posted:

I've checked Facebook this morning to see a messege from a friend saying "Hey, I was thinking of backing Exploding Kittens! It looks really fun!"

I think non-boardgamers/newer boardgamers really focus on what their experience will be the first time they play ("it looks easy to learn!" "there will be fun and/or funny outcomes!") while more experienced players focus on what their experience will be on the 25th time they play ("I had never faced that combination before!" "I'm still seeing nuances in the strategy!").

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

It's also easier to like games you were given for free.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

They even say things like "just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a bad game" and then go and dump all over games just because they didn't like them. Just sooooo many people with questionable taste in that video.
"I love the art in Sentinels of the Multiverse!"
"Lords of Waterdeep is thematic!"
"The makers of Dixit are so lazy, they didn't even put any words on the cards!"

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

djfooboo posted:

But then your hands smell like pennies... :barf:

Haven't you heard of money laundering?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

A Catan movie will perfectly emulate the Catan experience of watching other people do stuff for an hour or so while you pretty much just sit there.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Poison Mushroom posted:

I've heard good buzz about Zombie 15 (though it apparently has a monstrous set-up/knockdown time compared to the playtime).

Once you know what you're doing, it's not too bad, and sometimes consecutive scenarios use the same map. My larger concern would be replayability.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tiny Chalupa posted:

How is lords of water deep?
Light or what?

Want a in depth game too
Civilization
Mage knight

Not sure
Mage knight is it competitive or coop?
Pathfinder any good?

Mage Knight Mage Knight, burning bright
On the table for Game Night;
What immortal hand or eye,
Could frame thy Vlaada symmetry?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

MadWOPR posted:

I had no idea this existed, thank you much

You also don't have to store all the expansions at home and always have somebody to play against. It's pretty great and I have a hard time imagining playing Dominion in person now. Some gigantic combo that has a player going through not only his but everyone else's full deck would just suuuuuuuck at the table IRL.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rutibex posted:

I don't know about that, board games tend to retain their value. The K-Tel Superstar game was released brand new in 1973 for $5.99, when I later found it in a thrift store in 2013 it was $4.99 losing only 17% of its value over 40 years! Few other goods will retain their value so well :eng101:

$5.99 in 1973 is $31.53 in today-money, so it lost over 80% of its value. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Shes Not Impressed posted:

I had been holding off on it because of the price and the prospect of teaching it to my friends, but I finally gave in after a few posters made persuasive arguments but they're probably just slave traitors anyway. It hasn't arrived yet.

It's really great, I don't think you'll be disappointed.