Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Had a great time with "Til Dawn" and "The Battle at Kemble's Cascade" last night. Til Dawn played a lot faster with more players, so I like it. (Lost by 1 point at 41; the guy exited at 42 and the next draw would've killed him).

Kemble's was OK, but I think we did an extra phase. I went from way behind to tied-for-first due to shooting all the other players with the gamma cannon; half my game points were probably from PVP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Played Colt Express tonight and loved it! Beautiful art and a fun strategic element, kind of a western themed Robo-Rally.

Due to the small nature of the train (2 decks, 10-12 total spaces?), I'd need to come up with variants to keep it fresh, but it seems good for 2-3 more plays.

"Concept" was a great game when we played a variant: How many clues can you get the rest of the table to guess in 5 minutes? I blew the crowd away with 4/5. (Someone guessed "Sauna/Hot Tub" instead of "Bath Tub" but I think it's close enough).

(This was after wasting 20 minutes trying to get someone to explain "Indiana Jones", which I was able to give in five clues: [Movie/Male Person/Fictional, Uses Weapon/Spiral. If there's a dullard at your table they WILL take forever to get a concept across, whereas quick, clever players will spend less time as a clue giver according to the core rules.]

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Kiranamos posted:

Good idea, will definitely make the game have a fun, exciting scoring system instead of the dumb one that's included.

The board for Concept is incredible though. It's Charades-style but the implementation is superb.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Had a long night tonight. Enjoyed Augustus ("Euro Bingo") by getting two "2 points per senator" Senators. 6 total senators and a 13 point campaign in Gallia was enough to take it.

Concept was fun. Some blue words are a lot harder than the rest.

Colt Express was great the 2nd time. We misread the rules last time; punching knocks away the other person! I played as Django and had great fun shooting people into the marshall (so they'd take 2 bullets and bounce to the roof).

Cheaty Mages was meh: too rules heavy and three rounds feels awfully short. I think I won with 4 coins since with four players, every round ended up with a non-entrant winning. I won the last round when someone played a -12 on my Demon, then someone else randomly replaced him...with a ghost, so the -12 turned into a +12.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Leaders is fine as long as you discard the "Pay 1 gold for any resource" leader. It completely disregards the economic neighbor-purchasing the game is built on.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

burger time posted:

Fiasco isn't really a roleplaying game, it's way more similar to longform improv.

I'd argue that fiasco has exactly the amount of mechanics it needs. For a system that allows you to play superheroes, invalids, kobolds, and fake Russian accountants, an arbitration system other than "everyone ends the scrap worse off" would be needlessly restrictive.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

1 on 1 duels end quickly with the person inside Tokyo either dying or getting a point victory.

Of course, the cards are so swingly that they may be automatically healing themselves, buying things, selling things cheaper than they bought them, and piling through the deck.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Missed TT Day (waited up on someone who never hit me up), but played "Acquire" last night. Fun little Stock game; won by a bit by constantly goading people to take me over, and being paid to (or not to) merge companies.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Playing a political game and not allowing joint victories is pointless. It's like playing acquire and not allowing trading for positioning or stock.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Had a great time with new & old games tonight.

Pictomania was cool, but there's a great variety in difficulty between cards. ("Headscarf" and "up" vs "Water Wings").

Las Vegas: Boulevard is a worthwhile expansion. Love the gold dice aesthetically, and the Slot Machine + Big Dice give more strategy without taking more time.

Space Cadets: Dice Duel is still the most thrilling boardgame around.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

jmzero posted:

There's a division of labor, and some of the jobs are boring and repetitive ones where you contribute best by staying head down and don't even really know who's winning, you're just building missiles or whatever. That sucks for that player, and is one of the many reasons I didn't like the game, but it conveys very fitting emotional content.

Winning team has to shuffle non-captain positions after every successful enemy hit. Voila; a balancing and pacing mechanic that prevents boredom or, in many places, competence!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Finally played Legendary Encounters last night, playing through Alien. The person teaching omitted that Coordinates allow you to draw another card, so we lost our medic early (and she took the cat).

The ship exploded TWICE, and we were down to one person who was almost dead.

They drew their 9 coster, and drew another card into their hand, then another, then another.
He was able to do 14 damage and suck the Alien through the airlock, just like Ripley.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I find a truly good reading of the rules starts with the dramatic italicized parts. For new games, we also go around the table with the original rules and a printout copy, so nobody can say "I didn't read that!"

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I definitely don't want to oversell it since games like this tend to only show major issues (card balance, luck of the draw, degenerate strategies, etc) after a few plays, but like I said, I enjoyed the one I had well enough and will likely play it again in the future.

Have any more people had any experience with Elysium? I have it locked up in a CSI preorder (for free shipping, naturally), but keep hearing mixed reviews about it, and some of the positive reviews are from people like Vasel and others who (positively) compare it to Splendor, so...yeah. On principle it seems like my kind of game, but...

I played it with Hades/Zeus/Athena/Ares/I forget, (you use 5 of 9 decks I think), and it was a lot of fun. It's an engine builder with several parts to your engine: Now (the cards in play), Later (the cards you pay to bring into the halls of Glory) and Prioritizing (you get 4 actions a round, and one of them is taking a 1st/2nd/3rd/4th turn token; if you don't take it, you automatically go last. Different cards require different colors, so you have to play in a certain order to get exactly what you want.

I built a Hades engine that rewarded me drafting brown cards and sending them to Elysium. On my last turn, I had saved up enough gold to send 7 cards to Elysium; if I'd completed my Zeus set, I'd have won the game. (Sometimes card draw is random, but once you match something in Elysium, you can't pair it with a different set, so I was waiting for a Yellow 3 that never came).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Played Red November which was impossibly slow with 6 (including two who didn't get how a standard turn worked after ten turns).

Sunrise City is a great citybuilder but the pink and blue zone colors look nearly identical.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Just played Castles of MKL and won by a large margin on oranges, blacks and reds. It's always less fun to win a game on your first outing but for the most part it wasn't even close between me and the person who explained it, but they had major AP.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Played Run Kill Die and loved it. Placing zombies on your board and moving them toward you feels very visceral. I lost on the tiebreaker after my Town Drunk migrated to the player with a Cool Guy, but I kept my board empty or nearly empty all game with some good rolls. I'd like to play again as another character since all the abilities seem cool.

Played the Earth Overrun variant of Last Night on Earth as the Martians. Martians kick the hell out of zombies, so we won with zombies at 2 of 18 points and players at 5 out of 18 points. The zombies were compelled to run at our packs and the Zard Beast(who got 6 kills by himself.) If you ever play this variant, give zombies Grave Weapons or some other balance because Martians chew them up.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Played Heartland Trucking Co and it's a fun little starter in the $12 zone. The only problem is, depending on how you lay the cards out, there's heavy, sometimes irresovable blocking; if you and another player move between 3 or so tiles, it's near impossible for others to enter that region of the board. I lost the first game that way, and won the second game barely by buying upgrades. (I think I beat the "no upgrades!" guy by $3).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Played Codenames, finally. My team scored a 4 pointer with "Sit" and a 3 pointer with Volleyball (Game, Server, Spike). We lost a round because my clue words were Washer/Spot/Dinosaur/School/Life/Lawyer/Penguin, with "Tail" being Assassin. The other team had Water and very similar words. My clue of Evolution got two, Suit got Lawyer but not Penguin, and the other team cleaned up but it was close.

The clue of the night was Shiv (I thought it was Knife+Organ, it was Knife+Cell).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

BeefyTaco posted:

Hey guys, I just want everyone to know that when we were playing Codenames last night my friend gave me the clue "Al Gore, 2." The answers were "Lock," and "Box."

The clue was "Hearts 2" on a full board and it took 5 seconds for me to get "Moon" and "Shot". The other team was wowed at how fast it was.

Someone also gave the clue 9/11 4 for "Jet, New York, Washington, Fire."
I gave the clue

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Impermanent posted:

Hey anyone got good insight on mafia de Cuba? Looks like a good traitor game and I like that players can select their goals.

Fun, fast, hard to win as the Godfather, sez my tablemates.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Played Shakespeare and ended up 2 points behind the winner (one point behind 2nd place). It's good and balanced, but AP can make people take forever; one of the people at the table did NOT grok basic game concepts. At all. Across all six rounds.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Got a hand in Codenames that stumped me.

Had to get across 2 of these three:

Contract, Engine, Parachute.

And not say:
Drop, Car, or Crash. Or Jet!

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 3, 2016

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Has anyone seen a strategy in Blood Rage that beats "Eternal Dragons" + "Freya's Domain?" I.E. blow up your own boat for 12 xp each time, bring it back from Valhalla for one rage, gain ~36 points in a round.

At our table it's always been part of the winning strategy. (I came close with some Loki losses and some Fire Giant victories). There was a misdraft so we restarted; I could've won if I got Glorious Death 2x and Odin's Throne (Which would give me 48 VP for letting four of my guys die).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I like Cosmic, with the caveat that:
-I almost always win;
-Fun is not had by everyone.

So I only break it out like, annually, to test out the 450 different character classes.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you want codenames to go faster with eight, it makes sense to do 4 cluegivers and 4 guessers. Let the cluegivers have pads of paper if they need to, but it'll dump the worst part of codenames; sitting around for minutes as someone struggles with the board.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Threw down hard in Elysium, nearly doubling 2nd place's score. I got Cheat (from Hermes, 5 points when you don't use any citizens) and 4 different "Score 1 point for every different family in this legend." So 5x5+12+3 for completing a family of ones.

Poseidon is an asskicker of a color, but I was second going into the final round and picked Medusa. (That lets you take two cards from everyone's play area and say "Discard One of these".) It let me break my opponent's big combos, resulting in a lot of people not being able to go into Elysium.

Tip: Find a big 3-value card on the board, build a combo around it. All the decks seem pretty balanced, but you need to constantly have things to do with your engine in case you need to pivot. (I meant to start out with a lot of purple, but ended up getting around 4 purple total, and a full family of 3s.)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Played Food Chain Magnate.

Did OK; one person went Waitress starter and was out of the game fairly quickly. The other guy went a bit more advertising heavy than I did (I didn't get enough drinks) so in the last two rounds we ran out of money, and he'd outscored me by $20 or so out of $240. With my bonus earnings I would've come ahead. So relatively close, probably a wash.

If I was playing again (and I probably won't), I'd have built my engine a tiny bit more and focused on milestones a little less; I forgot the "you can buy and train the same turn" rule. Love the art, the gameplay is "Build your engine. BUILD IT! Keep building! Make it more complex. If you haven't lost yet, BUILD YOUR ENGINE!"

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 13, 2016

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

I sometimes wonder what it's like to be the house hack designer who gets tasked with coming up with the ruleset for something like this. If that even exists.

Early lunch!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

For Kemet, print out add'l rule sheets so that everyone has a combat summary and a "what tile does what?" summary.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Malloreon posted:

Played Blood Rage for the first time today, loved it. 3 player, we called the game early in the 3rd age.

How are you supposed to defeat a player who has both the "gain [1,2] glory for each unit placed in valhalla" upgrades? I think there was also a valhalla mission that got him extra VP for each lost unit.

every time he lost a guy he was gaining 6/7 VP in ages 2/3, so all he did was get himself into fights and lose them all. the third player didn't play so smart and started age 3 with almost nothing, so the only thing I could do was...attack the guy who wanted to lose fights. Even if I had avoided fights and just pillaged everything I could, it wouldn't have been enough.

We didn't even bother finishing the 3rd age or calculating the final scores.

I really like the game a whole lot, but I really hope the answer isn't "don't let him accumulate those upgrades/missions" - it's entirely possible any given player wouldn't have an opportunity to block getting them in the drafting phase. Maybe they're just way more powerful than I thought.

You want a game strategy where you skip the last third?

Dying in Ragnarok is useful, but it's a drafting game; take away his quests and there's not a lot he can do. And if he keeps losing, you can keep upgrading, which limits his # of people on the board, points for winning battles, and amount of fury.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

FulsomFrank posted:

Christ it's bad enough with Codenames and one person who literally screams at you if she thinks you're making signs with your eyes.

I got mad about Codenames, one time. REPEATEDLY they'd get to the right clue outs, say them, then would touch other ones.

We almost lost when the clue was Booster (2) and they got Space and port.
It was Space and Part.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Don't play Elysium with Athena and Hermes.
Just don't.

In a normal game (with Hades), I have 2-3 cards in my legend and 14 in my Elysium. Even without Hades, I'm about 5 to 12.

I had 13 cards in my Elysium.
I had fourteen left in my legend.

I still lost by 2.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Won Steampunk Rally as the Wright Brothers. Exploded past the finish line, taking 6 pieces of damage, but kept my rocket boosters. Ended up one square from max on the default board.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I think "Codenames" has the biggest fun-area. When you're killing it with your teammates, it's amazing; when you can't communicate or the other team is slow, it's worse than the most AP prone games. In other AP games, you can at least figure out your turn during other people's turns.

Vault Wars was a surprise hit this week; it's Storage Wars but for medievel treasures. It's a pull-momentum auction game; each of the 5 rounds, you auction a vault (which you normally see inside) and bid on everyone else's.

The trick is, you only get your own vault if nobody outbids you, and you can only set a starting price that you could pay. I won by 1 point in 30 by catching a lot of artifact cards and earning VP on cash.

Each vault works differently: some let you see all, some none, some let people see different things, or let you put trash from your hand inside. The art is great and with 3 players, it's surprisingly cut-throat.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 27, 2016

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

gently caress Forbidden Stars. Random card resolution, random die rolling, random zone-blocking movements...

I got up to 3 of 4 points, but end up sandwiched btwn the Eldar and the Chaos Marines while the Ultramine plays-dick-in-the-dirt in the corner, not understanding how build actions work. Because the action selection round lasts 8 minutes due to extreme AP, I put my Attack before my Build action and lose 3 consecutive fights and lose the game. This is after 70+ minutes of rules explanation; we were in round 4 of 8.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

Git gud.

Also Orks have cards that are the most prone to loving up due to random resolution in fixing re rolls. Otoh, relying on dice isn't a winning strategy by mid or late game (and if you're Chaos, early game). Tier fight deck can and will carry you in fights. Also, how are you getting random zone blocking?

Warps. Due to the way it was set up, the areas of player were

UM......................... Orcs
.......... |
.......... | _____
.......... | Chaos ......... Eldar

I took bottom left w /a teleport, top-middle with little opposition, and middle right, but everything else was a wall of chaos and Eldar. It was a 4 player map with 3 axises and Chao's flanks were completely safe.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Nique posted:

Lords of Vegas - Obviously there is a luck element in this game, but are the players mostly at the whim of it? Or is there a significant amount of room for good play?

To win, you need:
1. Good luck
2. Good strategy
3. People who will trade with you.

Without #3, you're at the whims of #1 and your winning chances are 1/(# of players).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

EBag posted:

Anyone who has played Elysium here? It looks beautiful and seems pretty interesting but I don't see it talked about much.

It's very deck dependent. Don't include Athena AND Hermes because they both allow more actions. But it's brilliant in a WYSIWYG way; there's never concealed information on the playstate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Scyther posted:

I was toying with the idea of designing a betrayal-like where each player has a personal deck that guarantees they'll find a weapon, utility item, have a bad event, have a good event, and so on, they just don't know the order, and have the rooms explored cross referenced with card type to determine what weapon/good event/bad event they find, in some kind of Tales Of The Arabian Nights style book, ideally all bad events should be equally bad, all good events equally good, and all weapons about equal (yes I know that's a tall order). The haunt equivalents would have to be structured completely differently as well, doing stuff like ensuring that The Thing You Need is far enough away from Where You Need To Bring it or whatever the scenario calls for. The deck structure should do enough to ensure that everyone is actually at a predictable power level at that point. Of course like all my game ideas, I'm never actually going to follow through with it, but jeez, they could have done SOMETHING to reel in the slot machine bullshit of the game.

The only person with the patience to make that game made 514.