Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Had a game night this weekend!
Started with Marvel Legendary which we ended up losing because the combo of Mysterio (he gains "lives" during the game meaning you have to hit him more to win) and Superhero Civil War scheme was drastically underestimated. We bickered a bit too much over points early and lost HARD. haha Super fun though.
Next up was Pandemic when a fourth person arrived. This game is pretty new to us, but we came quite close to winning. Needed 2 more turns (total, not each) and we would have cured the final two diseases. Definitely need/want to play more.
When our 5th arrived we busted out my new purchase of Space Alert. Started with the two "test" missions. We beat both, but it was awesome. Sadly that is all we got to because someone else randomly showed up, but cannot wait to start adding in the rest of the stuff and playing real missions. I know at least one guy in my group is probably going to stop being interested in playing once more stuff happens and we really start to panic. He doesn't deal well with that. I guess we'll see. The only downside of the rate of which the test missions ease you in is that at least one person each time felt like they basically did nothing. Cool, I'll fire this gun and...wait. A lot. I'm guessing that most definitely won't be the case when we get to real stuff.
With the 6th we played a round of Dixit and then One Night Werewolf. A good finish to the night. Although I do wish we had just been able to keep playing Space Alert hahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Megasabin posted:

Will these changes come to Avalon eventually? Other than the inquisitor which is just Merlin

I believe they said that Avalon is a stand alone game and wouldn't be expanded like The Resistance.

Also I am not surprised. That is annoying.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Bahaha.
In the KS they actually said that Avalon is stand alone and wouldn't be expanded.

quote:

Avalon compatibility - this isn't something that I thought that people would be interested in - mixing Avalon with these new expansions. But I have received a number of questions about this -"Will this expansion work with Avalon?". Now that we've added a full set of Mission cards and a full set of Character cards, the answer is "Yes, the Kickstarter Edition of Hostile Intent & Hidden Danger can be used with Avalon." It will of course be a mix and match of themes, but it can be done. And to answer the follow up question, there is no planned Avalon expansion - Avalon is and will continue to be a stand alone game.

Plans....have changed.
...Because we give them lots of money.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Galaxy Trucker is on android now!!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Haha I love Mage Knight! My third game ever (two solos first) was teaching my brother and playing coop...it was so amazingly fun. I kept telling him we can stop anytime but he kept saying we should keep going. Ended up capturing the third and final city in a coop assault with almost no deed deck left in the last night!
Freaking love it. I need to start picking up the expansions.

E: When attacking a city/tower/keep I can siege kill a non fortified (so its not double fortified) enemy, right? I had a kinda...siege build going and it seemed ridiculous.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 27, 2014

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Huh, looks like Roll for the Galaxy is out. Has anyone here tried it and can compare it to normal RaceFTG?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Tekopo posted:

This is incredibly funny to me because both me and Broken Loose think that Mage Knight has serious, serious issues. But keep tooting that horn.

I'm sure you've posted them before, but I am curious what they are. Im a MK rookie as I've only played 3 games so far.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Is the rolling behind the screen RollFTG's version of the other players not knowing what cards are in your hand?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Glazius posted:

And now for more on the exciting frontier of board game repackaging:

You can fit the entirety of Machi Koro and the Harbor expansions, including dice, bagged coins and player starting buildings/money in bags, in just the Harbor box with the insert removed. Even if all the cards are sleeved.

I freaking hate the Machi Koro base box haha. I fully expect to combine them into something much much smaller.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Impermanent posted:

So is this Orleans kick-starter worth getting in on? It expires later today. I can't find much about it online other than a little bit on it in this thread and the notoriously unreliable BGG reviews.

If the game is good that's gret, but I already have Castles of Burgundy, the Gric and Caverna so I may not need any more light to medium weight Euros unless the game does something special..

As someone without many Euros...man this looks good. I may have to be a last second backer.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Speaking of RollFTG, as someone that is very interested but hasn't bought yet there is a stream of it from Drive Thru Review tonight: https://plus.google.com/+Drivethruvideos/posts/ckmh9BLtziA

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

nonatomic retain posted:

Orleans is a solid bag-builder with a lot of good ideas - a little area control, a little racing, and several different paths to victory. I'm not a huge fan of the way all the buildings are on offer every game - seems like that makes it too easy to get in a rut strategy-wise. Apart from that, it's easy to teach, easy to understand, but with enough play space to explore for at least a few trips to the table. Stockhausen has already said that there are expansions in the works, which will hopefully keep it from getting too repetitive.

This description makes me glad I backed, to be honest.
I think the bit of randomness without mega dice is a good step up for my friends...and there is enough that I'll have fun figuring out different strategies.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Sinlaeshel posted:

I've tried reading through the first playthrough manual a few times, but eventually feel overwhelmed and put it down. It might be easier if I just set it up and played along, but... yes, it does seem difficult from afar.

I watched every video I could find on how to play. Rahdo, Ricky Royal, etc. Honestly after watching them I had a pretty good first play (solo), a really good second one (solo), and taught my brother for my third play. I never really felt super overwhelmed after the videos though. Highly recommend watching them.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I am in the same boat, still can't decide myself.
Also Rahdo just did his videos on RollFTG if that'll help you decide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDOoNy-ZTRM

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Broken Loose posted:

2-man FA! was difficult to balance, but now it's possibly the easiest way to play the game. Really, the player scaling is quite elegant; you just give players more Drive Keys and cards. The upped stress of having a larger workload is reduced by having more power, so to speak.

I think I've said this before, but I went out of my way to make 1-player FA! be super awesome. I did it to make it easier for me to playtest new things, and I also did it because we constantly talk about Mage Knight really being the only option for solo play in this thread.

That is badass. I am legitimately hyped up and recommending the game to friends. The social aspect should sell a few of them haha

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Libertalia, Terra Mystica Fire & Ice, and Mage Knight: Lost Legion are back in stock at CSI

also Dead of Winter

omgomgomg Finally! I've been wanting to pick up the Mage Knight expansions.
...now how do I fill out my 100$ for free shipping...

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Watcher in the Water and Redhorn Gate are finally back in stock, Bro of the Rings, although I think you have everything now right?

Haha, got Dwarrodelf, but I'll probably start filling out the Against the Shadow (have HoN and Steward's Fear) and Ringmaker cycles (have none).

E: haha. To get VoI + 3 AtS packs (only ones in stock) + Another Timeline = perfect amount.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 12, 2015

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Broken Loose posted:

guess it's spoiler time

Saggita I2: "The Joust"
Alpha: Box top placed in the play area. It must be clearly visible to all pilots.
Beta: A pilot must hold the box top at all times. It may be passed.
Omega: Only the pilot holding the box top is allowed to speak.

God, this game sounds awesome.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Heres a random one:
What are the best micro type games that can be played in a bar/pub/public setting? Such as Love Letter and Timeline.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I should look into dice games. I just bought some various colored dice to use in LOTR LCG (in place of tokens) but I have so many more than I need haha.
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Definitely grabbing Skull :)

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Mega bummer, as I am also quite excited for it.
Was it a general lack of re-playability? Strategies dried up quickly? Something fundamentally broken?
Oh, and how long did it take to "run out of steam" for you?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Since someone mentioned it above, what is Camel Up like?

Also huzzah! Just got my MK expansions + RollFTG!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

OmegaGoo posted:

Hilarious, light, and super casual. The entire game you are at the whim of the dice, but you're betting on a race, so it doesn't feel bad. There is a modicum of strategy, but nothing more than push-your-luck. Still, you could do much worse for a casual game.

Interesting. Hilarious is always a + for a light game. I'll toss it in my backlog of casual games then haha.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Heh. My RollFTG copy came with double components for a ton of stuff...and a tiny cloth bag that basically can't fit the 55 tiles.
#nailedit

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

burger time posted:

It should have 2 cloth bags, a big and a small one.

Ahhh. I guess I'll toss an email at Rio Grande. Thanks.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Timett posted:

I'm looking at the Galaxy Trucker Android app. Worth my 5 bucks?

Yes.

Unrelated: Rio Grande already shipped out a new tile bag for RollFTG to me. Talk about customer service, drat!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

ConfusedUs posted:

Are there any good single player games out there? Sometimes I want to solve some puzzle or play out a story, but there's no one around.

And, as always, The Lord of the Rings LCG.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I think I need 7Wonders. My group gets together to do MTG drafts simply because drafting rules.

Anyway, what are people's thoughts on Trains, specifically Trains Rising Sun?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

thespaceinvader posted:

I was thoroughly unimpressed with Trains, mostly because dominion is just better.

Try before buy it is.
That said I am one of those weirdos that...likes to acknowledge how good Dominion is...from afar. I don't need to play it anymore.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
As entertaining as realizing I opened a :can: was...thanks jmzero, that was a bit closer to what I was looking for.

I also checked out Star Realms since it had a free base app, man...I really don't need to spend money on that either. Alas.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Weirdly, while hanging out with some beers and good convos we end up playing Timeline pretty often. And it isn't me forcing it on my friends it is usually "Soooo did you bring Timeline???????" Half the people don't pay a ton of attention, people swap in and out, some people drink (or assign drinks) based on getting it right or wrong, etc. But we're also nerds who like the light trivia aspect to it.
The new favorite is Skulls (huge hit, thanks thread), but it requires paying some attention haha. Quick play time, swapping in and out, and up to 6 are pluses.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

The first Roll for the Galaxy expansion, Ambition, will be released this fall.

Awesome, but not unexpected news hehe.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Lilli posted:

Whoever bought all these terrible board game avatars has made this thread like a dozen times better.

It is a thing of beauty.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I've heard Forbidden Desert is far better than Island.
I did buy Desert and after 3 plays it is really fun, but ultimately not super different from pandemic in my opinion. (Someone else in my group owns Pandemic so I don't regret my purchase hehe). In both games you pick a character and run around doing one of a few actions. You also flip over an increasing amount of cards to add stuff to spots (so specific) and if poo poo gets too crazy, then you lose. It is good, just...pretty similar.
By far my favorite coop is the Lord of the Rings LCG, but if you want a board game then the only other ones I've played are the real time ones... Escape: The Curse of the Temple (light, dice rolling, I find it really fun and love the screaming that comes out of it...but it is light) and Space Alert (thread favorite, god I cannot wait to play more).

E: Oh yeah, I forgot I also love Mage Knight and my one coop experience (usually play solo) with my brother was great.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 7, 2015

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So i need suggestions on games for a group of people that liked Escape:Curse of the Temple i don't know if they'd like the more complex nature of Space Alert so that's kind of out and it doesn't really have to be real time either.

If they liked the chaotic aspect of, maybe try Galaxy Trucker? The base game isn't super complicated (and you can layer in stuff anyway), it has a real time first part that is chaotic and a bit stressful, and then a resolution after that which is "laugh at yourself and others as you fail miserably." I think it is a total blast. Obviously not co-op like Escape though.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Durendal posted:

In that case, Thunderstone

Naw. Get Marvel Legendary or one of it's variations. Not even kidding that I think it's the best of the "bad deckbuilders".

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
So if my friends don't seem to shy away from more complex games, but have preconceived notions about Agricola that basically make it impossible for me to get them to try it...what euro/wp type game would you guys recommend.
It seriously is that easy, I just need some good non-Agricola games.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

lordsummerisle posted:

Has anyone tried Roll for the Galaxy? Getting it in the mail soon, and wondered what peoples thoughts were.

You're in for a treat. My only complaint right now is that the game tends to lead towards very little social interaction hahaha. I mean most of us are constantly evaluating everyone's board state, but each game tends to be no talking except "Ya'll done? Reveal?" That said, after every single game we have tons of discussion about strategy, what worked, what didn't, etc.
The various ways you can mitigate the dice rolls is reaaaaally fun in my mind. I honestly don't think I've ever played a game where dice were so awesome.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Bubble-T posted:

For those interested in game design talk, there's an interesting discussion about Roll for the Galaxy going on right now:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1338992/quick-and-dirty-review-some-negatives-after-96-pla

The thread author is a very experienced RftG player with some reasonable comments, both designers are responding. Wei-Hwa goes fairly deep in to the meat of the game's design and why he made certain decisions.

I think the most amusing takeaway is Tom (correctly) stating that you really need high level competitive play with a large variety of players to settle it, which is the one thing Roll is almost entirely unsuited for. You'd need one judge for every player in the tournament. I think the only solution is to make a solid online implementation.

Really interesting read.
The funny takeaway is that the OP says after 130 plays he is shelving the game because it is too imbalanced.
One hundred and thirty plays.
Of course most of his stuff sounds like a group becoming static in their strategy and then burnt out. But who knows, maybe if I get to one hundred and god drat thirty plays of RollFTG I'll experience what he is too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Dirk the Average posted:

Of course, the OP also complains that you need to do actions serially in the develop and settle phases. How the hell does that make sense? Your dice allocated to develop or settle have already been allocated before anything is resolved, so there aren't any tactical choices to be made - you put dice onto cards and build them one at a time. Is there any situation where you need to make a tactical choice at that point?

Yeah, he responded with "In Develop/Settle, you don't want to reveal how many tiles you are going to build, nor what those tiles are, nor what the top tile of the stack will be when you're done building."
Can't you technically just return a Dev/Settle die to your cup instead of using it (even if you have something to place it on/the phase is happening)?
So maybe he is saying that technically his decision might change after seeing what someone else develops/settles? If that is the case, daaaamn is that a niche complaint.