Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm not good at Dominion, but do you have an example of how you'd alter your strategy based on what other people are doing, besides the obvious "Buy Moats/defense cards if people are buying attack cards"?

To give an example from this weekend, I was playing a game with Intrigue. From the random Kingdom, there were Harem, Saboteur, Torturer, Tribute, Trading Post, Mining Village, Scout, Mascarade, Great Hall and Swindler.

From the beginning, I saw that people weren't picking up the Saboteur, but did pick up the Torturer, so I used Mascarade and Trading Post to thin my deck, and rid it of curses. If my opponents were watching what I was doing, they probably would have picked up Mascarade to use against me, as I frequently had hands full of Provinces, Harems, and Gold.

EDIT:

Jabor posted:

This biggest decision is deciding whether to go for provinces, or to three-pile the game out early. Making that decision correctly requires judging how fast your opponent's deck will be once it's running, and how long it's going to take them to get to that point, and comparing that against your own options.
This was also a concern because there weren't any extra buys to rush 3 piles, but if I were to keep losing money from the attack cards, the game might have been forced down that route.

unpronounceable fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Some Numbers posted:

Generally, a ton of funding happens in the last 24-48 hours.

Yeah, there's generally another surge when people are sent their kickstarter reminders, but whenever I've followed projects that have had that, there's also a steady stream of backers throughout the campaign. I just don't know if this has hit enough eyeballs to get that much of an influx at the end.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Jedit posted:

Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients also adds players, raising the game cap from six to nine, but the adding of players is considered to be the only thing in that expansion that does suck.

In a similar vein, doesn't one of the 7 Wonders expansions add support for an 8th player?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

ConfusedUs posted:

I hear there are two versions of Tash Kalar.

How much does it matter which one I get? Is one of significantly lower quality, or missing something, to the point that it really matters which version I buy?

And if it matters, how do you tell them apart?

The one that just has the Czech Games Edition logo on the front has better quality components than the one with their logo and Z-Man games.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bubble-T posted:

Never played it but IIRC the most expensive cards are also the strongest AND give the most victory points so it has a ridiculous runaway leader problem.

Also it's as pasted on as a theme gets.

The random market means there's a ton of luck needed to win, and no strategy. The unlimited actions each turn mean you lay down your hand, and decide what to buy each turn, which is more often than not, the most expensive card. It's boring because there are no meaningful decisions to be made.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I got to try a bunch of new games on the weekend.

First was St. Petersburg. I enjoyed it well enough, but I did screw myself over in the first round. I completely misunderstood how the 4 good market items worked, and that completely hosed over my economy. I'd gladly play it again.

Second was Dungeon Petz, and I am terrible at raising pets. We played a 4 player game, all of us newbies, and the scores were pretty drat low. I think the winner just broke 60, whereas I was pretty far behind at low 40 something. None of us really understood how the points for selling worked until we were forced to at the first exhibition, and I had chosen a terrible (adorable) pet. Something we all did poorly was overestimate how many spaces there are on the board, and a lot of the time, made too many, too small groups. On the plus side, only one pet died, and one was lucky enough to go live on the farm.

Last was Eminent Domain. I really don't know how I feel about it, but I really appreciate how it actually has a different economy to Dominion. It was a 4 player game, and we were all new, so we basically spent the game trying to feel out the economy. This was especially noticeable since none of us trashed anything. I ended up winning by one point, after getting lucky and getting some research cards early, and colonizing 4 planets. None of us got more than a few points with production/trading. I want to play again now that I have a basic feel for the economy.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

werdnam posted:

Was this the newly released second edition?

I think the guy who brought it mentioned something like that.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I printed my first print and play game.

I hope I can get someone to play it with me, and that I have enough poker chips.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

jivjov posted:

Dominion rules question: Moat specifically works only on attacks, so you cannot Moat away the card passing of Masquerade, correct?

Correct. Similarly, you cannot moat to prevent the reveal and discard of Tribute.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Crackbone posted:

Seriously? Your first post in this thread is to pimp your lame rear end unboxing livestream?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just finished my first game of Final Attack, and I really enjoyed it. In each round, I was messing up what I had planned to do in the previous impact phase, but I still managed to come through almost unscathed. I only ended up getting hit at the end of the last impact phase. I needed a barrier, but deactivated one system that I could have used, and overlooked the second because of its needs.

Before playing I was worried that shouting the final attack would be a letdown after the last impact phase, but I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

It was a blast, and I need to play with fewer events (I used 8) so that I have a reason to start buzzing incessantly. I also need to rope some of my friends into playing.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

ashez2ashes posted:

Playing Boss Monster a few nights back. It was a fun game, but I can see it not standing up for the long term. The package is really cute.

I played it a couple weeks ago, and felt it was basically a less bad Munchkin. Less bad in that it ends in a shorter time, but still too long.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I arrived late to Tabletop Day at mt FLGS. I got in a game of Hanabi, BatHotH, took over for someone in Paperback, Race for the Galaxy, and Final Attack! I had a good time all around, in spite of BatHotH.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I assume people were thinking cash-you.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bubble-T posted:

Ascension and Star Realms were designed by literal champion MTG players so yeah, it's basically some guys going "Dominion is cool but it's really lacking some of MTG's flaws"

How does that compare to someone wanting to setup Dominion in the style of Splendor, using a three tier market, and card reservation (use a buy to reserve a card and get a coin token).

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bubble-T posted:

The static market is important to dominion because it opens up ludicrous amounts of design space. There's a reason it's supported so many expansions so well. You can make cards with very specific effects, cards that only make sense when some other effect is in the market, cards that actually make your deck worse if bought randomly and so on, because nobody is ever stuck with a market full of scouts and potions.

By contrast, look at the card design in market deckbuilders and you'll see that there's basically no cards that could be useless or detrimental. You pretty much never make your deck worse by buying something, just worse relative to your opponents. Valley of the Kings takes this to extremes with every single card in the deck (including starter cards) having a gold value, an ability, and potential VP. Most of these games remove restrictions on buying and actions for similar reasons - the designers have so little control over the game that they have to sand off basically all the edges to keep the thing playable.

Dominion with a Splendor setup makes no sense because Splendor game has near-identical cards, it's pretty much the opposite of Dominion. The tiering is just to ensure that purchasing 'engine' cards is always possible, but functionally there's almost no difference between any one card and another. You might as well be planning to turn set up Puerto Rico using a Monopoly board.

Oh, trust me, I know exactly how bad it is, I was facetiously asking because there was an idiot on reddit who though it would be interesting. Beyond all the problems you mentioned, the base cards would need to be separate due to how other cards interact with them, and the game would be who lucks into big money the fastest. Never mind how broken a 2/5 opening would be with a gold in your first cycle.

EDIT:

Bubble-T posted:

Keyflower, if you can find it. 7 Wonders would work as well but I don't like it much with 2 players.

I agree on both counts.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Some Numbers posted:

I haven't yet, but I've been meaning to. I'd use Magic sleeves and get some really high quality ones.

Yeah, magic sleeves work just fine.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

Does anyone else love Hive as much as I do? It's really fantastic and everyone I've shown it to has immediately had fun, from kids to older adults. It's also the perfect quick game or game to play by a campfire (I have the pocket edition).

One question though, it seems like the person that goes first has a major advantage. Am I right or just seeing things on too small a scale?

EDIT: according to BGG, it has about a 6% win-rate advantage to white, which is smaller than the white side advantage in chess (11-12%), so not so bad.

Here's something I've heard of to combat the first turn advantage that could work as a house rule.

A plays a first move as white. B can decide whether or not they wants to take that move. If they do, B becomes the white player, and A plays as black starting with placing the first black piece, otherwise play continues with B playing as black.

I don't know if there's a name for this kind of game start.

EDIT:

EvilChameleon posted:

Have you tried this one? https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/94246/1812-invasion-canada I'm not sure it is in the same sort of genre of colonization, but one player gets to play the First Nations Canadian dudes and try to take out America.

Isn't that the one that's a deck builder where trashing is an unbeatable strategy?

unpronounceable fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 25, 2015

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Shadow225 posted:

I really wish I didn't know about the existence of Big Money in Dominion. The game went from building a Rude Goldberg machine to buying like, 2 action cards total and racing Big Money. Maybe it's a symptom of playing the AI in Androminion that improves with live competition, but it did kill the magic for me.

I've found myself doing the same thing, so in the last few games I've played, I've gone back to just experimenting with cards. I haven't done that well, partly because I don't know what to look for, and partly because I'm simultaneously exploring new expansions. Still, the exploration part of Dominion is great, and I still really like the game.

On the weekend I got to play Glory to Rome and Race for the Galaxy with one expansion, but I don't remember which one. I liked both of them, but I want to play another game of G2R before making any conclusions. It was a really degenerate game with virtually nobody taking the merchant. I misjudged how long the game would be, and ended up not getting anything done after building 3 buildings. I was planning to start merchanting things into my vault afterwards, but with 5 players, I ran out of time.

RftG went much better than my first game. Knowing how important the scoring developments and planets were, and not getting any good consumer planets, I scoured the deck for military planets, while my opponent got a produce consume engine going. It ended up pretty close with me losing 50 to 47.

I like the hand management better in G2R over RftG, and how there aren't as many unique cards. I think I like the way they do role selection more or less equally though. I'm curious how people compare these two with Eminent Domain (+ expansion) as role selection games. One of my friends got rid of Eminent Domain after playing a couple games of G2R, but I don't know if he tried with the expansion.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

NuclearPotato posted:

Play Space Alert, the hype is there for a reason. I would've, but tonight I got to "enjoy" a nice game of Quelf instead. I'd describe playing it, but I think the description I linked speaks for itself.

BGG posted:

Quelf is the unpredictable party game that gives Random a new name!

So, how bad is it compared to Fluxx?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Eminent Domain plus expansion when you want to try another deck builder after dominion

I think it got missed when I asked before, but how do people feel about Eminent Domain compared to other role selection games, like Race, or Glory to Rome? I can appreciate how it does something completely different to Dominion for deck building, but does the deckbuilding add much to role selection over strict hand management/tableau building?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

GrandpaPants posted:

Rodney's Watch It Played is pretty solid if you need to learn how to play a game. He talks pretty slow, though.

Uvulabob we miss you :(

He hasn't made many videos, but ephfive's Scrappy Reviews are about as close to him coming back as I've seen.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

Just scored a sealed copy of Keyflower for $60! How heavy is this learning curve of this game compared to say Agricola? Hopefully get to take it to game night tomorrow.

It's easier. The iconography is pretty good for what all the actions are, and you can explain what the summer boats/fall scoring tiles do if they show up. You'll probably want to pass the manual around for the winter scoring tiles though.

A few things I would mention is that the spring and summer tiles are primarily focused on resource generation, whereas the fall and especially winter tiles are for scoring. In particular, there are no resource generating tiles after summer.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

al-azad posted:

Card Modified: As seen in Kemet. I have full control over my attack but to my opponent it's practically equivalent to me rolling randomly since they're uncertain what I'll play. Bonus points if everyone's cards are the same so while the result is uncertain you can at least make guesses to what it'll be.

I don't think symmetrical cards are necessarily preferable for me. Battlecon, though the players use the same bases, has character specific asymmetrical cards that work well. The important thing here is knowing what options the opponent has. For Eclipse, I could see combat cards being yet another difference between the races.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Big McHuge posted:

I'm on the other side of this. I feel that Tsuro is a quick, elegant little game that scales well and can be learned by the widest variety of people. Tsuro of the Seas is a dumb luckfest that needlessly complicates the original, better, concept.

Can't you just play Tsuro of the Seas without all the extra crap, effectively making it the original?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

I generally leave a couple games in my bag at any given time, so the shelf is usually just big enough. In the deck boxes on the end are Dominion, and the cards/drive keys for Final Attack. The rest is with the poker chips.

Looking at my collection, I need a good party game, and a big heavy game, so I think I'm gonna get Pictomania for the former, and I'm contemplating Dominant Species for the latter.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

QnoisX posted:

Maybe next time. I'm big on the owner of the game at least reading the rulebook before we try to learn it.

I don't understand people who will bring games, expecting to play them, without having gone through a practice explanation or at least the drat rule book beforehand. Even if you're with people you like playing games with, it makes for a slow and unpleasant experience.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

EBag posted:

Not many deep strategy games that go up to 6. The best I can think of is Keyflower, or if you want a long conflict heavy strategy game then Dominant Species.

I've actually been thinking about getting something for a big, heavy game, and Dominant Species was on my short list. I thought about Eclipse because I think I'd really like the exploration and economy building, but I also think I'd just be frustrated at the combat. I'd consider an 18xx game, but I don't think I'd be able to convince anyone in my group to play it with me. Someone in my group has Cuba Libre, and I think has ordered Fire in the Lake, so I'd want to try one of those before getting a COIN game.

Does anyone have other suggestions for me to look into? I generally prefer games that are more Euro than wargame or Ameritrash.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Poopy Palpy posted:

poo poo, you don't even need the board against you for your objective to be harder: the person next to you might have an objective that's a proper subset of yours. Apparently they thought "there's no way to make the objectives equally difficult, so why bother even pretending to try?"

There are also objectives that can be stupidly easy to complete. One of them is to exile a betrayer if there is one, which means means you have a ~50% chance of not needing to do anything for it.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

EvilChameleon posted:

This is the first time I have ever said this: thanks goons for encouraging me to hold onto my money.

Has Russian Railroads been talked about on here? I was talking to a local guy and he said he thought the game was too "solve-able" for his likes, but otherwise all the reviews seem to be pretty good? I'm trying to tick off the list of the top 100-200 games on BGG since that seems like a good a place as any to check for stuff.

I only played a 4 player game of it once, but I wasn't too fond of it. I found that there were always enough things to do that getting blocked never stung at all. I think the only real exception to that was purchasing the engineers, or whatever those extra space tiles were. For other things, there were usually enough other options to easily make contingency plans. I can see how it would feel solveable, since there's very little randomness. I don't think it's like Terra Mystica, where the random round tiles can drastically change your strategy. The engineers seem like they offer small variations from game to game, but nothing big enough to change your main strategies.

I'd be open to trying it again, but it's not something I'd request to play with my group.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm a mega sperg and so I bought a DGT pyramid timer thing as an experiment and I think it's helped! Basically, strict turn timers piss everyone I play with off and even the faster players will have a turn or two where they go over time. For us, while the time to take any individual turn is important, it's more about the total time to play the game. It's ok or even important to have a really long turn here and there if you overall play quickly. The DGT timer has a couple modes that work better than normal turn timers for this type of situation: a mode where you can carry over time saved in former turns to future turns as "credit" and a mode where it just accumulates each player's time overall. The former is good when we have a general idea of how many turns a game will take and how long we want to spend playing it, and the latter is good for figuring that out and as a passive aggressive reminder when someone is just dragging rear end.

There is also a count down timer that tracks each player, so if we decide we want to play some game in 2 hours or less, and there is 4 of us, just give everyone 30 minutes and then try to be away of how long we've been taking and how far we are in the game.

Basically, the timer doesn't strictly enforce fast play, but it makes it clear why it took longer and that's useful. The people I play with who are slow-ish can take too long to perform their turns but it's not out of a desire to prolong a game.

This sounds really cool. I'd really enjoy playing with one, but I don't think my group would go for it. I'd buy one anyway for when I have people over, but amazon.ca has the cube for $128 :(

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Triple-Kan posted:

"We should play Game X with EVERY EXPANSION one day" is not a strange thing to hear in board game circles.

At least with Dominion, you could do that, and have it be reasonable. Just choose one card from each set.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Countblanc posted:

People who pick up a game for the first time, play poorly, and then condemn a game for being badly balanced are my number one GamerBane. I hate that poo poo and I hear it all the time.

In my group, there are some people who will poo poo on me for winning my first game of something, and deciding that I didn't like it too much. I tried Pillars of the Earth a couple weeks ago, and I wasn't too fond of the draw bag for your worker placement because it means the only thing you can consistently do is avoid getting taxed. After the game, I thanked the owner for teaching and said it wasn't for me, and then he started giving me grief for it. :sigh:

Today I got to try a 3 player game of Euphoria. It took me a few rounds to get a handle on the economy, but I enjoyed it. I felt like it was too easy to build the markets, though I don't know if that's because we were three, or because my opponents were playing poorly. We used a house rule where we needed to use the top two resource spaces to build (i.e. a gold and ore instead of two ore), and I managed to get in on all of them. My first recruit let me get extra food if I used the highest die at the farm, so I used that and bliss to get a majority of my resources. I definitely want to try with 4 players; it felt a little lacking with 3.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I am guilty of teaching a game I opened at one of my meetups. The main reason it wasn't terrible is that I read the rule book before actually teaching it, and it was a very good rule book at that (Tash Kalar).

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Lorini posted:

I think I'm good with my Kingdom Builder expansions, I don't need anymore. I have the last two.

How are the expansions? I'm not particularly in anything that adds complexity, I think the game doesn't need it. I'd basically just want more power tiles, maps, and scoring objectives.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

fozzy fosbourne posted:

That's pretty much what they are, yep. They add some basic mechanics based on whether the expansion maps are in your game or not, but nothing that radically changes the skeleton of the game. Like Dominion expansions. We literally learned how to play the expansions in between wrapping up a base game and it was no problem.

I remembered seeing some pictures, and seeing a bunch of new pieces, and some extra cards in addition to the three you play with, and was a bit concerned that they were adding too much. If it's just more of the same, I might pick one up at some point.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Tekopo posted:

Just got my copy of Pictomania. Should have bought it earlier but yeah, glad I finally made the purchase. Such a good game.

I'm getting mine tomorrow. I'm gonna have to pay a big FLGS premium, but they let my group use the store each week, so they deserve some :20bux:.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I played my first game of Eclipse today with 5 other, slow players. It took too long, but I had a good time. With my first explore, I lucked into the discovery tile with the +3 computer, so from that my aim was to load up with plasma missiles on my cruisers. I made a bunch of strategic mistakes, but in the end, I ended up winning with 33 points. It felt a bit too claustrophobic with 6 players, so I'd like to try it with 4, but I definitely want to play again.

I'm gonna have to bring out a game timer for the next time we play though. It took way too loving long.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm gonna have a chance to try either Kanban or Panamax on Saturday. Does anyone have opinions on them? If I only get to try one of them, which should I go for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I got to play London today with 3 other new players. Only one person managed to keep their poverty down at the end of the game, and consequently won by a landslide. For my part, I was far too concerned with running my city optimally, and didn't buy enough boroughs. How much poverty and how much in loans do people usually end the game with? At the end, I had 3 loans, one of which I could pay off, and 16 poverty or so.