Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Kiranamos posted:

Holy poo poo, this is some galaxy brain DIY

https://youtu.be/aXqi5PULMqg
I wanted to make a copy of Patchwork from actual scraps of cloth/leather for maximum comfy, but got stuck on the labels (and didn't wanna just write/paint on the cloth).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

bobvonunheil posted:

Little notes attached with safety pins are a nice thematic way to do it
Tried that, it looks ugly and is way to fiddly because the labels get in the way all the time.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
So, the only winner is the corporation that sells this poo poo to idiots who buy it for "ironic" gifts?

While we're at rebranded versions of bad games, it's been brought to my attention that Kingdom Hearts Talisman exists. And Batman Talisman. I wonder how long until there's a Monopoly Talisman or Talisman Monopoly (with the possible addition of Munchkin for maximum monstrosity).

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Dec 30, 2019

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Aramoro posted:

Board gamers, and especially ones that play at game stores (Because no one will invite them to their houses), are garbage people and you should not associate with them.
get out of this thread you garbage person

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 8, 2020

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

Said it before, say it again: Pictures is solely an expansion to regular Codenames or Duet. You use it in the 5x5 mixed pictures and words variant, to get the players to forcibly juggle their visual and linguistic processing centers back and forth until they're dizzy. That's it.
Sounds fun. I'm totally stealing that idea.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Kiranamos posted:

Who wants to add like 4 extra layers of mentally parsing clues in a party game
Not me. I'd like more.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Casnorf posted:

Spirit Island also is one of the few games I've ever seen to integrate the theme into the components, and for that I will love it forever and ever. It's so clever and straightforward it's no wonder I'd never seen it before. Got me thinkin', it did.

Elaborate? I've never played SI but I'm a sucker for that kind of thing.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Morpheus posted:

All the tokens related to the island, like spirit presence and dahan, are made of wood. All the invader pieces are white plastic, and blight is grey plastic.
As in a metaphor for lovely unpainted plastic invading "our comfy home of wooden meeples"? I noticed that one and loved it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I can't imagine someone telling me the best moves, newbie or not, unless this is specifically a teaching game. They'd get one polite warning, one impolite admonition, and then I'd just get up and leave since they want to play my side too anyway.

Lampsacus posted:

In line with the current discussion of players verbally coercing others to do their bidding, the absolute worst I've come across was a friend who wouldn't shut up. He wouldn't stop telling you that your move is suboptimal and then goad you with "NO. You must tell me why this move is better than the move I propose and then the game can continue." He would move players pieces back if he thought there was a better move. He would cite forum posts on boardgamegeek and demand everybody min/max according to his understanding of the game. Even in social deduction games like resistance he kept saying stuff like "actually statistically you should vote this. all feelings don't count, only voting records track." oh yeah he would record everybody's vote for sending ppl on missions. What's worse is he'd bring along a friend who was very similar and would agree with him. I guess they're off somewhere now, playing chess with AI aids and having aneurysms.

...I'll just say thank gently caress I never played with that guy.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Redundant posted:

I remember that people like that exist and it blows my mind every time.
I'm still convinced such extreme assholes don't exist and those posts are made up for attention.

Either I'm abnormally lucky with my gaming partner selection, or those people have working survival instincts.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

We are about 45 sessions in, and same. I look forward to it every time we bring it to the table.

So far, from the new class previews, it seems to be a mix of the first and third, with more emphasis on the first. They look solid, but also definitely fiddlier than the basic GH classes like Brute, Scoundrel, etc. It's definitely aiming for a more 'advanced' experience than the basic box, and it seems like improving your settlement and collecting resources will be a high-priority undertaking. I haven't seen much sign that the increased complexity will be 'needless' as opposed to 'giving experienced players some new buttons to press' but time, as always, will tell.

Gloomhaven with settlement building? Welp, time to make some more space in my collection.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Afriscipio posted:

Recent replays of Archipelago have left me with the nagging suspicion that colonial themes in games might be bad. If felt like I needed several plays of Spirit Island afterwards to cleanse my guilt.

Send me your copy of Archipelago and I promise to reuse it in an environmentally-friendly manner. I won't pay you anything because that would be capitalist exploitation :v:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 24, 2020

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Clash of Cultures big box coming late this year. I know some folks here are big fans

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/...ZdTn8mK1J14pQq0
I'm suddenly feeling better about having bought the expansion recently. Gotta get rid of the spare copy though.

I mean, I'd be all over it if it's good, but Wizkids is a strong contender in the "I expected nothing good and was still disappointed" category.

Closet colonialist :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Redundant posted:

Maybe I will console myself and just pick up Resistance Avalon instead.
You should do this anyway.