Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

bobvonunheil posted:

Though some may want to houserule it (hah!) that you do get to keep playing as a new character.
Houserule: If the owner of Talisman draws this card, he must throw the game into a trash compactor; it counts as one of his possessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Played my first game of Kemet yesterday. 2 hours for a 2 player game, from rules explanation to packing poo poo up and discussing the game a bit, I guess a little less of 90 minutes of real gameplay. Explaining the rules was a little more convoluted that I expected (we went through every power tile), and I was quite surprised at how fast events developed after we both picked up some steam. I think the entire game lasted 4 or 5 night phases tops.

How do you usually explain Kemet? Everything is so tied together that I felt the need of jumping from one topic to another. "So you win VPs by winning battles and occupying temples. Oh, and having level 4 pyramids. And you get to level 4 pyramids by using an order and pay PPs. PPs you get from occupying temples and..."

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I've resigned myself to the idea that I'll never play Yomi with real people. Is the web version a good way to play it, or is it more of a trial version?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

And you need to add somewhat more complex ship tiles that come with the expansion. The base game doesn't have enough ship pieces to play 5.

So it increases the complexity a bit.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Ongoing. They are yours forever and no one else can have them.

EDIT: VP tiles are only worth 1VP, you don't get extra on following turns. That would be stretching the definition of "ongoing", but just in case.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Good luck with this, BL, it looks great.

The $5.000 tier reward made me laugh hard.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

EDIT: Regarding Space Hulk, you edited while I was typing.

It checks on the setup time/space needed areas, and there are interesting decisions to make each turn. It also nails the feeling of surviving against a horde and the need of thinning the enemy in order to have a chance.

That said, it's not a game that will hold your attention, as all the games end up feeling pretty samey after a while (there are little variety in locations and squads) and the difficulty comes mostly from the dice loving you over. It's pretty easy for the game to start snowballing and overwhelm your teams with a couple of bad rolls from an apparently easy position.

I ended up playing it maybe once every two weeks and enjoying it, but it's not a game that will hold your attention for long periods. I also find the co-op part lackluster, it's designed to play solo and have control over all your dudes.

Haven't played Onirim.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Any tips about Print&Play? Just print the cards in normal A4 paper, cut and sleeve them with a Magic Land card?

This chat about Yomi reminded me I wanted to try it, but I'm not paying 60$ in shipping and tariffs for 4 characters.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Going to teach Galaxy Trucker to two new players tonight, and it's been a while since I've played without the expansions. Here's my pitch:

• Hide the box, because it's loving humongous and it may scare players. Hand the plastic ships and astronauts and keep the green pearls around, because they are adorable and tactile.
  • We are trying to make a ship from spare construction parts, held it together with spit and prayers and race each other to the finishing line while trying not to blow up.
  • This is a simple connector, this is a double connector, these are universal and fit everywhere.
  • This is a cabin to carry people, this is a storage area to carry goods. You want as many as possible of both. This is an engine, you want as many as possible, this is a laser, you want as many as possible, these are DOUBLE lasers and engines, you need batteries, which are these bits. As many as possible of course.
  • The batteries also power shields, which are these pieces. No, you don't want as many as possible. You want only two. Pay attention, please.
  • Running out of space on your ship yet?
  • Have I mentioned we do this in real time yet?

Explain when you lose are forced to give up: No people in the ship and no engines in open space. Then make them build a ship and go through the tutorial run. Explain the cards as we go through them. Important bits: Exposed connectors, special rules for lasers pointing to the sides.

Start again and introduce the timer and looking at the card stacks while building. Explain aliens and how they interact with guns and engines. Everything attack based is purple and everything engine based is brown. Everything energy related is green.

Laugh as poo poo blows up.

Anything I'm missing?

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 6, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks, those are the kind of things I knew I'd forget because they are obvious once you have a couple of games under your belt.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I actually managed to get Space Alert to the table this weekend. It's only been 6 months since I got it. Fun was had, confusion happened and we died horribly. Working as intended.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

You don't have to agree with my assessment of it being just a starter game but that is how we treat it. It does what it does well.
The reason I enjoy this hobby is because of the wide variety of games i can play. I don't like being stuck playing any one game repeatedly in a night outside of maybe carcassonne when beer is involved

So Dominion is a starter game because you only play it with people new to the hobby. Got it.

But there is a good point in here. Most groups I've been part of have Dominion but don't play Dominion. My experience is that they will get Dominion as a good introduction to boardgames and then either play it to death (leading to buying other games after they burn out) or get so much into the hobby that they start buying other stuff, and shiny and new games are always more attractive.

Once in a while we'll play it while waiting for someone to arrive, either 2p or 3p, and it's still great, but as soon as we have 4 players no one will say "let's play 2 games of Dominion.“

Lord Frisk posted:

I don't like dominion. Too much shuffling.

I can get behind this. Maybe starting my boardgame career with Pathfinder made me loathe shuffling.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What do goons think of Eklund games like Pax Porfiriana

I've played two games of Pax, one run by Tekopo in the forums, another in person. IIRC, the second game ended up with three people in a row having their hands forced in order to prevent some other guy from winning, and me playing literal kingmaker in the end. I don't know if this is common, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. Pity because I liked the mechanics and the theme up to that point, and it didn't happen in the PbP, so maybe it doesn't happen often.

Manual is horribly, horribly written, BTW. There is a living rulebook in BGG that is much better.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Wait, should I not get the Horned Rat expansion for Chaos in the Old World? I just assumed it would own, like the rest of the game.

I agree with the Rat in CitOW being the least interesting god in terms of interactions, but I think it's mainly because the other four gods are so fine tuned that any outside influence would mess up with the balancing. The Rat just does its own thing, does not place Corruption tokens and doesn't mess with other players. All it's powers are self contained and only influence their own troops (buffs, moving their own troops, placing new Skaven Tokens in the board, etc...).

It's not going to ruin the experience, but it doesn't add anything, either. If you like CitOW and want five players, go ahead.

Do not use the new cards, though.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

KiloVictorDongs posted:

Kemet or Cyclades? I'm leaning toward Cyclades, because I don't have any games with auction mechanics currently and my friends tend to not be too aggressive (they usually apologize when attacking another player in Risk), but is Kemet so great a game that it can make lions out of lambs?

Throw them into the deep end. Buy Kemet. :unsmigghh:

Actually don't because it can backfire hilariously.

Elyv posted:

How different is the Dune board game from Rex? I know Rex was heavily inspired by it, but what are the differences?

"Lifted wholesale" may be a better term here than "inspired". There are a few differences, though: Rex is shorter (6 or 8 turns to something like a dozen, IIRC). In Dune there were useless Treachery cards, it ain't so in Rex. Also, the cards themselves may be different, I don't remember. You cannot give spice away in Rex, while in Dune you can bribe people by promising payment. And the map is different.

There may be something else, it's been a while since I've played either.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I'm having surprising amounts of fun with Legendary Encounters, considering I didn't like the Marvel one.

The scenarios feel pretty different based on the events and the interaction between harder or easier Aliens and the skills you can buy, and, more importantly, they feel appropriate for the film they are based on. For example, in the first scenario most of the cards give you utility rather than raw alien killing power (moving the aliens around, scanning the complex, drawing cards…), and I'm under the impression that the aliens are weaker than usual. The second scenario is a turf war between Aliens and Marines, as it should be. I've only played the remaining scenario* once and barely remember the movie, so no opinion there, but the cards feel once again different enough to give a different experience.

The art is pretty uneven and generally bad, there is often an obvious move and the hour I spent unpacking the classifying the cards was ridiculous, but in general I'm happy with my purchase. It's a game carried by theme, and surprisingly it works for me.

*There was no Aliens 4. Shut up.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, you are right, there isn't an Aliens 4. It's called Alien Resurrection :v:

Yeah, right, next you'll tell me they've done a new Indiana Jones movie.

Content: I've been playing Tash Kalar on BGA the last couple of days (game ends up being physically tiring if you have no banter going on and focus on optimizing your moves, by the way). I was wondering if it's possible to guess at your opponent moves and end up disrupting it's summons. Even if you know the deck perfectly well, with 2 moves, 3 possible summons (plus legendary cards) and flares, guessing you opponent moves requires Rainman-like skill.

So far sniping recently moved pieces and keeping Heroic pieces from touching is my only strategy, but I was wondering if I should make a conscious effort to see enemy shapes.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

Speaking of Pandemic products, they also have a Legacy game coming out toward the end of the year. I really like the concept of permanently altering my game as I play it, but if it's not resettable at the end due to adding stickers and destroying cards I'd feel sort of ripped off if I were never able to play from the start again. Also I don't always have the same people so it'd be difficult to pull off like 15 progressive games. It's probably not for me if it's anything like Risk Legacy. What are people's thoughts on those types of games?

Disclaimer: I know absolutely nothing about the mechanics behind Pandemic: Legacy. If the game is boring, no amount of doodling of the board will make it enjoyable.

That said, adding a narrative is never a bad thing and can increase the enjoyment of the game. Based on my experiences with Risk: Legacy, leaving your mark on the board and remembering the story behind every scar makes a game more interesting by making yourself more involved. Things get personal when fighting over the city of FatSamuraiLand.

I think the "only 15 games" complaint is kinda silly, too. First of all, I'm pretty sure only 2 games in my entire library have more than 15 plays, but YMMV. Second, and most important, it's not as if you have to burn the board after playing the last game. You end up with a perfectly viable game, it's just that it doesn't evolve anymore. You know, just like every other boardgame ever.

And the most important thing: There is decadent pleasure to be had in destroying game components. Spoilers for Risk: Legacy, requires archives.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Randalor posted:

What good solo games are there? Either ones designed for solo-play or have solo gameplay as an option in the rules?

Fields of Fire. :colbert:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

BTW I got to play Tash-Kalar last Thursday and it was a blast. It's basically Reversal of Fortune: The Game.

It is possible (and in fact, the trick of the game as I can see it) to keep someone low enough on pieces to press an advantage but close enough to prevent flares. Bulldozing through the opponent pieces without a plan is probably a bad idea, moving them away so they are ineffectual but still count against your opponent is great.

I love that positions become either critical or worthless, and that any piece that is not working for you RIGHT NOW is actively detrimental. I've seen several people overextend in order to get a Diagonal Line objective just to have his pieces moved out of position by a Hypnotist.

Disclaimer: I'm not a good player, so maybe I'm missing the point completely and keeping your opponent at two pieces is the way to go, flares be damned.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

BonHair posted:

No. That's a thing you forgot. You forgot plenty of other stuff too, trust me. For instance, it's Ice Block that's effective against Fire Attack.

Everyone brings this up, but it's a rule you'll never miss once it's pointed out to you because you know there is something weird going on. I'm much more likely to forget adding gold mana after finishing my turn in a Glade, for example.

In other news, someone stole my messenger bag the other day. Given that it was laptop-sized, I'm enjoying some schadenfreude imagining the face of the thief when he noticed that I was only carrying a foreign language copy of Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective.

Anyway, I was going to give the game away, having finished all the cases (with all the deductive prowess of a stunned magpie), so now I’m kinda bummed. Would anyone be interested in a PbP game, as a way of sucking up to karma or something? I was thinking 3 players per case, either rotating the crew or soldiering on if the interest keeps up.

EDIT: Holy poo poo each time I read this I find new spelling/grammar errors.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 19, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Just made a thread for a PbP game of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, if anyone is interested in trying it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Played Midgard yesterday. Is an area control game by the designer of Chaos in the Old World. Players place their meeples in order to control regions by simple majority at the end of the turn. Each region belongs to one of three provinces, and scoring more regions in a single province gives more points than scoring several regions in different provinces but spreadings your ddes around gives you more varied tokens at the scoring phase, and sets of these give you points at the end. Random regions each turn give you more points but remove your people from the board. There is a draft phase at the start of each of the three turns, where you choose the actions that you'll have available during the turn (place dudes, place less dudes but remove opposing ones and some special actions, like scoring a region, getting tokens or extra actions)

It plays pretty fast (I'd say an hour with 4 players), and there is less kingmaking than in other games because you pick which actions you have available before you see the board develop. The winner was trailing the entire game and managed to pull ahead on the final count via tokens, taking over other two players that had been doubling his score by the end of the second turn.

The board is as ugly as it can be, though. Compare the cool Viking on the box to the dry components (picture not mine):

I ended up with the impression that it's a better version of Smallworld. Rules light, very tactically focused (although less than Smallworld, due to the draft), quick. It really misses in the first impression,though. Is nowere nearly as colourful and attractive as Smallworld, and the theme equally nerdy, but it's the wrong kind of nerdy.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

djfooboo posted:

Buy Pictomania now!

I have too many games already! Stop tempting me! :argh:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Pics of a game for elitist pricks:

Not even poker chips can make a 1.8XX game look interesting. I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy the game if I played, but that's an ugly board.

How many players were there?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Supposed to be 4 of us but there were 3. Also, there are uglier looking 18XX than that one.

I was trying to make sense of the table setup, because the player on the left has three Monopoly property cards and I'm not sure whether there are 1 or two players on the right.

FAKE EDIT: Bah, whatever, I'm reading the rules. I was a huge fan of Railroad Tycoon 3 and I'm curious.

FAKE EDIT EDIT: Wikipedia lists 56 18XX and 18XX-like games. Help?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

1830 rules posted:

Lay out the board and choose a player to be Banker. He should sit at the "south" side of the board and will need space for the Bank funds to be laid out in addition to his own money and possessions. He will also need space for a pencil and paper. A calculator is very useful.

Also, about 70% of the manual has to do with the stock market, and then goes "oh, and there are trains, too, I guess." I think I'm in love. :stare:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Tekopo posted:

We can run a PBEM game of 1830 for newbie so that I can crush them so you can learn how to play if you want?

I'd be up for it, sure. It's not as if I'm not already playing three PbPs on the forums where I have no idea of what I'm doing. :v:

Looking forward to bankrupting a company or two.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Tzeentch finally clicked for me in Chaos in the Old World yesterday. I can do OK with the other three gods, but I was unable to get my head around the magic guy.

Being a dick, running away with my cultists while taking my toys with me, always having PPs and having 2-3 moves to play with after everyone was empty was great. I'm usually the kind of guy who feels bad when I'm antagonizing other people in games, but this time I positively gloated.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Bubble-T posted:

Won't happen officially, the Herbert estate is a shambles and his son loves nothing more than making GBS threads on his legacy.

On a lark, I picked up the last book after watching the movie in all its 80s Sting glory..

:smith:

Speaking of movie-themed games that don't suck, I'm enjoying Legendary: Encounters much more than I should, given that I disliked Marvel Legendary.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Exactly. The Rumda train was fun.

Rutibex posted:

Are the systems similar enough that you can make the Xmen fight Aliens if you have both?

Yes, you can have Ripley in a loader suit fighting magneto. There are some terminology swaps (Ambush=Reveal, for example), but that's it.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 27, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

I've only played the two games, but it really seems that this is a game that's all about aggression. It seems pretty much pointless to protect individual pieces. It's sort of possible, kinda. But it seems that a better strategy is to set yourself up so that you'll make some sort of gain no matter what your opponent does.

Steamrolling through enemy pieces (unless you're the barbarians, who can mow down enemy pieces consistently) isn't really worth it because you give a chance for flares. Keeping your opponent 2 or 3 pieces behind is the sweet spot where flares won't hurt you much, but you still have board superiority. An intelligent opponent with 4-5 well placed pieces and a good flare can score a objective a turn.

Rather than killing stuff just for the sake of it, try to keep your opponent pieces apart. A piece that is 3 spaces away from friendlies is (mostly) useless and still counts against your opponent regarding flares. Keep in mind important and easily recognizable formations (for example, the legendary units and the units that can kill them) and disrupt you opponent's attempt at building them. If you're good at pattern recognition, 4-5 games will be enough to recognize some of them, and you'll start to see an assassin or an infantry captain coming, especially if your opponent keeps trying to build the same stuff turn after turn.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Are there any Spanish/editable player aids for Kemet around? The ones I've found on bgg are either just text (so not really helpful to understand the tiles) or .pdfs, so I can't translate them without starting from scratch.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I like the mechanic of the Hero. Are there any other cards that do something similar outside the expansion? I assume that the other cards in the series (Page, Treasure Hunter, Warrior, Hero, Champion) are coming in this expansion as well.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

The guy I played with yesterday said tokens go from common to heroic if they kill something on their turn (during a combat move or leap, for example) in addition to if a card says so.
No they don't. They upgrade if a card tells you so. That's it.

EDIT: Minor rules point that I missed the first time I played: You cannot play a lower ranked token on top of a higher ranked one during a summon. That means you cannot kill heroic pieces with common summons.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I think I've hit the 90 minute mark after 4 or so games with the same group (4 players). It's basically impossible unless everyone has internalized the upgrade tiles and goes into the game with a plan.

Rutibex posted:

You think that's bad try getting a game of Mage Wars going :smithicide:

A friend of mine was about to buy this last week, but saner heads (his girlfriend) prevailed. As much as I'd like to gesticulate and shout spell names like a madman, I was feeling too guilty to press him into buying the game because no one would play with him more than once, .

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
I don't care whats in the box I want more Mage Knight gimmie!

I had just packed the first expansion into the base game box :negative:

On the other hand, more Mage Knight :woop:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Tekopo posted:

What I did on my holidays

Tekopo, what do you think of Greenland as a solo game (I think there is a solo variant)? I've been interested in getting it for a while, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to rope anyone into playing Man vs. Wild with cubes, 1.200 AD edition.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Single Tight Female posted:

Thanks board game thread for the recent resurgence of Dominion chat, that basic client linked a while back got me to finally try it out; within an hour I'd ordered the base set, within 2 days I'd ordered Intrigue and Hinterlands (Intrigue because I frequently play with 5+ people and the same site had Hinterlands cheap) and within the week I had 4 friends who only wanted to play Dominion for the rest of their lives.

Dominion Dominion Dominion.

edit: It's just a shame the base set and Intrigue are both the Hasbro reprints, the quality difference is legitimately noticeable. Time for 3000 sleeves.

For the love of God, don't play 5+ Dominion. Play two games with 2 different Kingdoms and then swap. You have the base cards for it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Tekopo posted:

I don't think it would work well as a solo game, it kind of thrives on the direct competition aspect of it. It works better than PaxPo though.

Thanks. I saw a solo playthrough using the cooperative variant and it seemed interesting, but if the tension comes from other people dicking you over that's a dealbreaker.

Money saved for the MK expansion, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Aston posted:

That's the one I had found, but I can't see any claim that it's costing them $15 million to fulfil all the pledges.

They say they will print "slightly less than 1MM decks" and that "it will cost around $14 to $15 to create and ship each deck." Either each pledger (220m) bought 5 decks or they are creating a huge stock to sell later. Or the article is wrong*. Or they are just sandbagging.

What I mean to say is that you should take economical analysis of a project on the Internet with a grain of salt.

*The guy interviewing Temik should have zoomed in on those wildly different numbers he's flinging around, I have no idea on where the 420m copies figure comes from.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 9, 2015