Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

taser rates posted:

Short game is pretty much purely for learning, I imagine for a new group it would run 1 - 2 hours. Once you get yourselves acquainted with the rules, you should go straight to medium/long games for the real stuff.

Yeah, I figured the real meat would be in a long/medium. Thanks!

A new barcade opened up in town, and they have a host of board games, including Archipelago (which has always been one of my most-wanteds). Only problem is that there's only a good 5 or so large tables (as in, large enough for a group to play a full-sized game), and other small three-person tables with stools, but they didn't really think enough to get a shitload of small games - they had Love Letter and The Resistance at least, but I didn't see stuff like Coup, Skull, etc., which you think would be perfect candidates for a bar atmosphere. Might shoot them a suggestion. At least now I know how much time to put aside if I wind up going with a group, being able to get one of the big tables, and wanting to dive in.

Played Machi Koro for the first time on one of the stool-tables, which was pretty cramped. Very light. It was enjoyable to hurl around some dice and build a basic dice-rolling machine and felt like it didn't drag on, but I can't say I'd really buy it for myself instead of some other game.

edit: vvv cheers!

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Man, I need more board games.

And another bookcase.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
So it's a card-driven game with a single shared deck? Pass.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I got Ticket To Ride from my parents for Christmas. They really really enjoyed it (as did my girlfriend), so now we all own the app so we can also play over long distance. I made sure that my girlfriend and I got the digital 1910 version too (she likes mega game though :argh:).

My girlfriend's sister also plays it with her partner. Girlfriend told me last night that her sister complained that their games can go for 2 hours or more between the two of them which is utterly horrifying :psyduck: We were knocking out physical 4-player games in 45 minutes, which made playing TTR pretty tolerable.

How does someone stare at the TTR board for 10 minutes at a time, thinking about how drawing two off the top or just taking the two green ones might affect their long-term strategy

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 17, 2017

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Group of 5 next to me at the barcade about to play Betrayal at house on the Hill. Only one person's played it and is attempting to teach. RIP

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
gently caress, I should've offered to play The Resistance or something while I had the chance

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Recaffeinated posted:

Not really designed for it, but I've been meaning to try galaxy trucker with teams of two building the same ship. Not entirely sure how it would work but probably something like you switch builders every time the timer flips.

In the spirit of Galaxy Trucker, cut the ship-building board in half, have both teammates building their half of the ship simultaneously (no communicating or looking at the other teammate's half) then smush it together afterward.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Speaking of real-time team games that you'll never get the chance to play, I'm picking up Captain Sonar this afternoon!

My girlfriend also sent me that Onion article. Which reminds me that when I first unpacked Ticket to Ride my mother exclaimed "oh, this looks complicated, I'll never learn this"... this is the same mother that learned and played Dominant Species with me (probably didn't hugely enjoy it but she at least had a handle on strategy and I think won our first game). My mother especially bases "complicated" and "difficult" on board size, number of components (even if they're just little trains), and anything with a map. Of course, my family managed to take to TtR immediately and will probably end up getting it for themselves.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 28, 2017

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Bezier Games is teasing a (One Night Ultimate) Werewolf + Codenames combo of some sort for Feb 13 on their Facebook page.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What would the 4 factions be? 🤔

E: it would also be pretty amusing if FFG rethemes Chaos in the Old World with Cthulhu stuff

Imperial, Rebels, Scum, and uhhh Hutts?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

I know this has come up before, but I wasn't able to find the recommendations. My wife and I met another couple who are interested in board games, but are also very new to them. They've only played playing card games and Ticket to Ride. The problem is that their english isn't super so I was looking for games with little to no language dependency.

I thought of Splendor (not a fan personally) and Acquire. What are some other light-medium 4 player games with little to no reading necessary?

Fresco?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Have played two 2-player games of Keyflower in the last two days, doubling my previous playcount since I got the game a year or so ago. Game's good y'all! I seem to recall not 'getting' the game to start with (as far as seeing the winter tiles first-up so you can adapt your strategy from there, buying the tiles you *really* need for that strategy so you're not constantly bleeding keyples, etc). I've won both games 55-45 and 78-36 - my gaming partner hasn't been as into the game as I have so she's slower off the mark to really get a gameplan going.

edit: I also finally took my new copy of Captain Sonar for a spin the other day, I'll just cross-post my after-action report/thoughts on it from another thread:

The Narrator posted:

We got real-time two games in. Because we were at 7 players, I took on the combined captain-first mate role in game 1, my friend who had a decent grasp of the game took on that role in game 2 (I played as Radio Operator).

As I explained the rules, I noticed a couple of the players start to look worried - but saying "hey, you really only need to remember how one system works" helped.

Something that I hadn't really conceptualised before we played is how... clunky it is? But that clunkiness is part of the design. I mean in terms of mishearing or having to ask someone to repeat that, quite a few "STOP!"s that immediately had to be cancelled because the engineer popped up and said "we can't do anything, what are you doing," and overtalk that makes it difficult for the radio operator.

It has great contrast of embarrassing failures and triumphant successes. There's the aforementioned "STOP!"s that end up just breaking up the flow of the game, there's the radio operator exclaiming "I have no idea..." or "gently caress, I've completely lost them *erases line*" (as I did at least once) and funny exchanges of

Engineer: Can you head west? that way i can repair this circuit.
Captain: Uhh... Head north! ...we gotta go north before we can go west.

Both games ended via one submarine blowing the other up, rather than self-destructions, and the second game in particular had a super-exciting sequence of both subs circling each other as they charged up systems and tried to land a killing blow. Getting a direct hit is great for morale! And also helps the enemy radio operator nail down where you are...

I think my biggest quibble with the game is navigating that clunkiness - in particular, making sure that the captains both follow very particular wordings for stopping the game and for how systems are activated, because it got mildly tedious having exchanges of "STOP! doing this action . . . ok, resume!" followed immediately by "STOP! . . ." and so on. Also making sure that everyone understood their system and how it worked - at least once we actually had to pause the game because someone needed to clarify how a particular system worked (in particular, a first mate player mistakenly believed that Silence movement allowed him to charge systems). A minor complaint, too, is that it feels like the First Mate role is slightly underdeveloped, or at least feels a bit trivial compared to the other three. Perhaps that's just based on our beginner's lack of strategy though.

Additionally, it's a stressful game - at one point after we finished a round, someone exclaimed that they hadn't really been prepared to come straight from work into this sort of game (that player had just finished a round as the captain, and I think they simply felt overwhelmed by three other crew members barking information at them).

I think most of the group had fun in the sense that they appreciated what the game is. I can't wait to play it again (maybe giving turn-based a try at some point), but it depends on getting numbers and being in the mood. We followed up Captain Sonar with Click-Clack Lumberjack and Camel Up to decompress.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 11, 2017

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
We had a similar experience with "stop," where it would be followed by an immediate little discussion among the ship to make the final call. I might just say for the next game that no-one else can speak until the person who called "stop" makes their call. Agree that there's a huge ambiguity in how the rules are enforced which can negatively impact the game because suddenly you all have to make an arbitrary ruling.

I think it's definitely a game that will be better with a consistent core of players (as it should be for my group, I think) who understand how the game works, agree on how certain things should be resolved, can get right into playing, and are confident enough to constantly talk, send information back-and-forth, etc. I also recognise that it's a highly situational game - being real-time doesn't leave any room for casual conversation as you play, the stress of constant information will put some people off, etc. It seems like a game for Type A personalities, in that as soon as you have someone who clams up or buckles under pressure (rather than working through that pressure) the whole crew is affected and the game becomes less enjoyable for it.

I want to get another few plays in before I make a definitive call on the game, including turn-based - though I suspect a lot of the roles/interaction would be made fairly trivial without the real-time pressure.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Didn't they reduce the quality of the components in the most recent reprint of Splendor?

:lol: They better have reduced the price as well because "it has really nice components" was the only thing that made that game stand out.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

terebikun posted:

Maybe Viticulture or Galaxy Trucker? Viticulture's not the lightest worker placement out there, but the theme makes everything click. I've never played with anyone who disliked either game.

Just a disclaimer that if someone likes building stuff, they *may* not appreciate Galaxy Trucker being a game about having all your poo poo blown up. The real-time pressure can also put some people off. It's still a great game, but it can seem unfair (and it kind of is, but that's the fun of it). Especially if you're an experienced player who's teaching the game and can put together a decent ship.

Maybe Machi Koro? Super light and not especially deep, but it has a great loop of "what can I buy now?" and just acquiring more.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 13, 2017

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I remember one from SU&SD, talking about an RPG storygame about colonialism called (I think) Dog Eat Dog. The richest person playing plays the role of the colonisers. The specifics of "richest" are left unspecified. It's intended to make everyone uncomfortable and establish the theme of power in the game.

Is it Small World that has "player with the pointiest ears"?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Any takes on M.U.L.E.?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
And 1) that story about/review of World in Flames or something recounting the poster's months-long journey to play it, and 2) that review of chess

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
The chess reviews in general are either people taking (analysis of) the game too seriously or people doing that satirically. This chess review is the one I had in mind, though this one is okay too, for BGG-level humour. Made funnier by the people in the comments not realising something like this

quote:

Many people complain than chess is kind of a boring two player solitaire game. To them chess is basically a race game with a simple auction mechanism for key spaces on the board. The general consensus is that chess has appeal to players who like economic efficiency games but has little appeal to player who prefer a lot of player interaction.

Is not to be taken seriously.

I don't remember where I saw it, but I also recall seeing a post complaining about Chess being ruined by the First Player Advantage being unfairly imbalanced.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 12, 2017

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Founders of Gloomhaven looks really appealing, and it's a pretty surprising genre change from the creator too. I just wish there was a different theme; a high fantasy theme doesn't hook me as much as a historical or other real-world setting. Still super tempted to back it though.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Azran posted:

It's alright, Rahdo was the creative director for Brink.

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,76249/

this man plays board games for the internet

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Mister Sinewave posted:

Btw Jack box is fun but the level of the room always seems to settle on potty humor whenever I've played.

That's frustrating, when everyone rises to the occasion Quiplash is a great rapid-fire comedy tournament. Fibbage works OK as a Balderdash substitute and Drawful is a funny exercise in trying to make sense of bizarre scribbles, so they're at least a little less dependent on your friends' humour. That requires them to want to win and not just make dumb jokes though, which doesn't always happen even in my experience.

Bottom Liner posted:

Someone on Reddit made a pretty in-depth listing of the best games at each player count, sorted by genre and sub-genre according to BGG rankings. It's pretty respectable, with a few naggles here and there, but could be useful since it's a topic we talk about a lot here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/6ni9h2/top_boardgames_for_each_player_counts_and_genre/

and here is a really long BGG list sorted by player count and weight

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/224746/how-many-players-play-2017-edition

Going to bookmark this, looks like a great resource. Tekopo can you put this in the OP, even?

Seems crazy not to have Tash-Kalar as a best two-player abstract, but whatever.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 16, 2017

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
But when are we getting the 92,000 year anniversary edition of Dominant Species???

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Got Patchwork as an early birthday present last night. I mostly play board games with my girlfriend, so a custom-built two-player game works great (we've played it before, but it's such a handy game to have in a collection). I won our first game by a great margin, I think on the back of getting a good income early. Neither of us ended up earning the 7x7 card, though I didn't really need it.

It's a great, pretty light game, the simple mechanic of arranging shapes is tactile and satisfying. Makes me awful keen to try out A Feast for Odin and see how Rosenberg builds on the concept as one part of a big beefy experience.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

homullus posted:

A Feast for Odin is not very much like Patchwork.

No, but you can draw a line from Rosenberg designing Patchwork and then deciding to use the shape-arranging mechanic in in Feast for Odin. I know they're very different games, I'm just interested in seeing the evolution from "this is a neat little concept" to the concept being used as one part of a bigger game.

edit: for instance, in AFFO you're incentivised to leave gaps in some places so you can get free resources, there's some pieces that decidedly are not allowed to be in contact with each other, etc.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 19, 2017

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I'm about 98% certain he started with a feast for odin and then as he worked through it he made the other games.

Ah, I had no idea. Mea culpa.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

homullus posted:

I don't mean to discourage you, A Feast for Odin is a good game, as is Patchwork, and they are indeed connected (the other way around, as was mentioned). In fact, the spatial puzzley bit in A Feast for Odin is much less developed than Patchwork, which is what makes them not very much alike, even leaving aside all the rest of A Feast for Odin. You alluded to the leaving things blank and the things not touching, and that's . . . pretty much it. You get tons of 1x1s and most of the pieces are quadrilaterals. It's only if you do the raiding or the blacksmithing(?) that you get any odd-shaped pieces at all.

Fair enough, I understand your response now. I'm probably just looking for an excuse that justifies getting AFfO, in any case, though it's not at the top of my wishlist at the moment.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Aggro posted:

Anyone have tips on how to teach Tash Kalar? I tried to go by the guide written by Vlaada, but I found it difficult to explain to my wife the difference between standard moves and combat moves and why Heroic pieces are much more beneficial than basic pieces. She also struggled with the concept of Flares, but I think she finally got the hang of those after she spent a few turns demolishing my pieces...and then I picked up a 3 point task to win the game.

I just try and demonstrate it as I do my rules summary. Maybe try and teach according to the first game rules, as well, or play a couple games like that if there's still trouble.

I start with the bottom up of "we're going to be placing pieces on the board, using those pieces to summon beings, and doing all of this to earn objectives that score points." Explain two actions per turn which involve placing pieces or summoning beings.

Explain how the pieces you place start as "common pieces" [show one sword], but the beings you summon will tend to be "heroic pieces" [show a heroic being card, point out the two swords]. Heroic pieces are stronger than common pieces and can destroy common pieces more easily. Some objectives [show an "upgraded pieces on red squares objective or something] require you to have "upgraded pieces," which are [for our purposes] heroic pieces.

Standard moves are onto pieces that are of a lower level [move a heroic piece moving onto a common piece] or onto an empty space. Combat moves are like standard moves, but you can also move them onto a piece of the same level [move a heroic piece onto a heroic piece]. They're moves that let the piece fight pieces its own size. You can also see how heroic pieces are stronger than common pieces - they can destroy common pieces even with a standard move. Bigger pieces can just walk over smaller ones. Common pieces need a combat move even to fight something their own size.

I also explicitly say "flares are a catchup mechanic. If you fall behind, you can use your flair to do some stuff for free." Explain how you can activate the top part of the flair, the bottom part of the flair, or both at once - sometimes you'll want to wait to do both, but sometimes you only need to (or only can) do one. They don't cost an action and you can do them before, between, or after your actions. Using your flair, you can quickly set up a being or objective.

Sorry if this stuff is obvious, I just find that Tash-Kalar really benefits from demonstration in a rules introduction. Similarly, a lot of rules or concepts in the game only really start clicking when a player sees them in action.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 19, 2017

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Oh yeah, agreed. Moves are just as useful for hitting objectives and setting up more formations as they are for destroying pieces depending on the objectives out there

Edit: while we're on TK, i have little dumb questions i just want to check. If i summon a heroic piece on top of my opponent's common piece, that counts as a destroyed piece, right?

Also, if an enemy takes control of one of my pieces and uses it to destroy some of my other pieces, does that count for them having destroyed my pieces on their turn for an objective? I suspect so but just want to make sure.

Edit: vvv thanks. I felt like they were implied, but just wanted to be sure. TK is generally a great use of keywords, so i just wanted to be sure i wasn't reading too much into the rules.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 19, 2017

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
If the disease theme is uncomfortable, maybe Pandemic: Reign of Cthulu?

How about Mysterium or Flash Point: Fire Rescue?

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 20, 2017

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Minus1Minus1 posted:

We play 3-6, with 3-4 being most reliable.

The Forbidden games are well-liked and get a lot of play. Actually all of the recommendations so far are on my wanted list.

What I'm looking for with this recommendation I think is something very story-driven or episodic. I want everyone to be thinking "what's going to happen tonight?" when we get together.

If it's a one-shot experience like an escape room in a box, that's fine, but in that case I'd want something with a few scenarios in one box.

This one might be stretching the definition a bit, but maybe one of the Consulting Detective games? Depends how much "game" you want for your group.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I can't believe you'd just give away Keyflower, what a great game

I'm joking, I'm glad you could have such a great group and I hope you find some new people to play games with in your new place

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Order for Inis has been placed. I was going to pick up the combo of Diamant and Flamme Rouge as lighter options, but everywhere in Australia appears to have sold out of the latter for now, so it's time for Inis instead :getin:

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
You have to buy a red copy and a blue copy. Your first decision is which copy to play. Destroy the other copy.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Turtlicious posted:

Man I have never heard a good story about the GoT game, and quite frankly, I don't think there are any fun games where Player Elimination is a thing.

The exception imo is stuff like Skull, Coup or Love Letter, where an individual round or game is fairly quick so it's OK to sit out for between 2-5 minutes. But that's obviously a radically different context.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
drat, now that I think about it, a galaxy truck-themed cake that has the pieces "break off" (people cut pieces out) would be an awesome cake gimmick for a fan.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Wait... the Statue of Liberty...?

Edit: oh my god... it was Earth all along...

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Got our first play of Inis in the other day. 3-player game using the recommended "discovery" setup (starting with cove/valley/plains and with certain territories put toward the bottom half of the stack). Some observations:

Not much passing. I have heard/suspect that passing is important for getting your timing right (especially stuff like drawing out Geis). I needed to emphasise the importance/utility of passing more in my rules explanation.

I think one of our players learned the hard way that absolutely flooding a territory with clans is a waste of time (at one point he had about 6 clans in the one territory), because if everyone else leaves they're just dead weight (which is what happened when he'd killed everyone there). I suspect he was expecting the game to be far more about conquest than it turned out to be (memories of Risk, maybe).

Players were in general aggressive, normally choosing to attack in clashes rather than withdraw, to everyone's detriment. People were also (I think) too willing to discard actions rather than remove clans (our third player especially was super averse to losing clans, so she ended up having very action-poor rounds). Again, I think this is because players went in with a sense that beating up other people was going to be how you got yourself into a winning position.

Epic tales are very powerful/useful! The player who eventually won was the only one who made extensive use of them, and they let him chain together some vicious plays (such as starting a clash in a festival territory and designating me the instigator, forcing me to immediately lose a clan).

Our third player (my girlfriend, who is my main game partner) really does not like "dudes on the map" games, I think because she doesn't like 1) the feeling of being attacked in a more-than-two-players scenario (we do Tash-Kalar high form and 2p Dominant Species fine), and 2) is averse to losing her dudes/clans. So she wasn't really keen on the game, but I think that's also in part because we were still trying to get a feel for how to play and how the draft connects to the season phase; i.e., any action you didn't draft is probably going to get used by someone else.

Our second player recognised early on that I was going for a dispersed win (having clans in six territories) and quickly dug me out of some of those territories. He eventually won just with a Chieftain victory after some expensive clashes. I was out of actions to stop him, and the third player didn't have enough actions on their cards to dig him out by the end of the season. I love the thought behind the game, though I wish we'd played another one right away so we could get a better handle on how it plays.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 4, 2017

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Ravendas posted:

See, I did this, and posted about it on BGG. The designer said that no, that doesn't work!

Because it affects the instigator, which is the person starting the combat, which is the person playing the card. The first player in the fight is the initiator in this case, not the instigator.

Or some poo poo.

Basically, the word instigator/initiator is basically synonymous in this game, except in this exactly one situation where it differs. Here's the thread. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1726833/festival-and-morrigan-interaction

That seems... odd. Not only because it's a poor use of keywords, but also because that would seem to be one of the emergent tactics available to you with Morrigan... and in almost all cases the 'instigator' and 'initiator' are the same person, so creating that exception feels clunky. Uh, alright, I'll have to remember it for the next one we play.

So what's the use for Morrigan, then? You can start a clash even when you don't have clash cards? Can start a clash in a territory you're not present in and hope that someone is looking for the opportunity? Or start a clash while making another player the instigator so you get first dibs on running into the citadel? Odd.

edit: oh, and i was a little disappointed that my minis were a bit bent. Not a big deal, just a letdown to see such nice designs stuck doing the Michael Jackson lean

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

al-azad posted:

Good stuff

Hey, thanks for this! I think Ravendas' and my issue is just the similarity/loose language/bad reading comp in distinguishing initiator and instigator; "phasing player or something equally distinct would have cleared that up, but it's not a huge deal now that we've caught that.

I did mention deeds, but looking back on our first game's result it's clear that deeds are a strong get and their importance should be hammered home.

Hopefully I can get it to the table again soon and see how we do once we're not just fumbling.