Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Pvt. Parts posted:

Roll for the Galaxy is a good suggestion I'll also throw in Race for the Galaxy its cousin.

Seconding both, and New Frontiers, its boardgamey cousin, is also fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Bottom Liner posted:

It's not a Lehman design, so I don't think it's in the family.

It... doesn't look like anyone designed it at all.

:wtc:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

That seems like an insult to Ian O'Toole, who knows what a circle is.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

tuyop posted:

Hi! I’m looking for a recommendation for a complicated co-op board game. Like something between Gloomhaven and Pandemic, for 2 players mainly. We like engine building games and automata modes as well.

I guess I also found in various lists these games:

Forbidden Island
Robinson Crusoe
TIME stories
The Captain is Dead
Under Falling Skies (not sure how this is co-op but people say it’s fun)

Any of those that are particularly complex and interesting?

TIME Stories is modular (white arc: one story comes with the base game, more are extra; blue arc: each is standalone, I think) and is more or less a CYOA.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

PRADA SLUT posted:

How many scenarios does a typical Gloomhaven game run? I’ve finished about 25 of them but Kingdom Death is getting delivered Wednesday and I need to know if this situation is poopsockable.

There's a handy flowchart on BGG that lets you take the critical path. 25 is, if I remember correctly, more than needed.

e: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/143772/scenario-flowchart

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I need to know whether they binged Gloomhaven or not.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Tragedy Looper, a good game despite what it looks like and the company involved is called, is getting new expansion(s?) for its 10th anniversary.

https://main-bakafire.ssl-lolipop.jp/rooper/10th/rei.html

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

jarofpiss posted:

theres more anime in this game than i realized

It's entirely a vehicle to sell tiddy miniatures for thousands of dollars.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

!Klams posted:

I backed this game on Kickstarter called Townsfolk Tussle that has a really really similar aesthetic to cuphead, because I thought the game itself looked neat, and then all the reviews were like "it's KDM, but as a Tex Avery cartoon!". Having never played KDM I obviously have no idea, but it seems like there's a bunch of people like the play style of KDM but don't necessarily want to spend thousands on mutilated titty minis?

This looks :krad:, thanks for the pointer.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

That sounds interesting but, uh, the creators' résumé is... a little... worrying.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

nonathlon posted:

Does anyone have any other examples of good tactical games?

Hybrid, the old Rackham game, is pretty good there but it's 1v1.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Graphic design on this one by a good friend of mine who's also redesigned a number of other 18XXs.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Mr. Squishy posted:

Expensive games have a placebo effect where your brain tricks you into thinking it must be good too.

The sunk cost fallacy, probably. Or choice-supportive bias/post-purchase rationalization.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Fat Samurai posted:

I’m going to revise this in light of recent posts and say that it was way worse than I remembered/saw on TTS holy poo poo.

It’s a drat pity, because the “build a settlement to equip your D&D party” is a cool idea, but instead of a cool, unique game we got this.

Primal and the previously mentioned Townsfolk Tussle sidestep all this garbage.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Well I'm convinced.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Infinitum posted:

What do German Warhammers call their armies then? :thunk:

"Republicans" and "Qanon". Not sure about the difference.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Eraflure posted:

Looked up a review of KDM, found this picture

10/10

This specifically informed me about the quality of Kingdom Tits.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Slimy Hog posted:

Or what games you got yourself for the holidays?

My BGG Secret Santa got me Tawantinsuyu. I'm giving myself Boonlake and giving Draftosaurus and Tiny Towns to family.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I backed whatever the last Kickstarter was before it all came to light :negative:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Kevin Wilson also used to be an employee of FFG, but he's one of the good guys.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Magnetic North posted:

I welcome you to shower that fascist rocket man with all of your bitcoins.

Eklund: the Musk of board games?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

silvergoose posted:

I suspect they meant Kickstarter

jfc I almost died of rage

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Townsfolk Tussle...is there any sort of ETA on when people can buy copies for that game? Looks like it was released in September this year but I'm not seeing any for sale anywhere

I asked them directly - if they have anything left it'll be announced by newsletter/Discord, and they're planning a second Kickstarter with a reprint of the base game plus ???.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

KDM also has a store, it's not KS exclusive.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

HampHamp posted:

I got Beyond the Sun and Sleeping Gods for Christmas! We've played a few games of Beyond the Sun and it seems fun (If a little dry), no idea what sleeping gods is like. Anyone have any opinions on it?

It's kind of a roguelike adventure game? You travel to places and read the story book as you do in the other Laukat games, but you have a limited time to achieve your goal, and reset the game when you run out. Then, you can use permanently unlocked cards and copious notes to save a lot of time or change what you were doing ("I know the answer to this puzzle so don't need to visit these 7 locations again", "Oh this was where we made the bad choice, let's do another one this time", ...).

Combat is puzzly and interesting; there is a fair bit of randomness in the events. Everyone can control any character per session, with joint use of the captain, so you're not locked into one character, but no matter how many people, you always have to play all of them.

I've not played far but at some point I presume you'll be able to fulfil the main victory condition for the best ending (whatever that is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Bohrer is a petty, spiteful, nasty piece of garbage, and his fawning, toxic BGG fan club (clearclaw, Bruce et al) are no better.