Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Terraforming Mars is an okayish game but the components and translations are of such abysmal quality for the price that it felt insulting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Some Numbers posted:

Broom Service is a good choice, it's like Kiki's Delivery Service made into a game.

I need this

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Do people here enjoy playing new angeles? I'm looking for a new brinksmanship/deal-making game and love the Android universe.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Did we already forget what happened, like, a page ago when we discovered that a panda vomiting a rainbow was actually a reference to an ancient D&D meme?

how does this make it better

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I still don't know when to ignore the starting job card in affo and when to go for it with all my power.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Pookas own

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
7 wonders duel has something like that as well, except some of the cards you unlock by buying other cards start off in a face down position. All in all I really dislike single market row games: RNG is alright, but it's just gutting to hesitantly buy a card that's not too awful only to see your opponent get a mindblowingly good one

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I can't wait to get my copy. My backer rewards for dark souls... A little less so.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Dark souls is okay at best. A few of my friends really enjoy it, but definitely not for the initial hour of 'grinding' weak throwaway monsters. The problem with a boss rush mode is that it's not balanced for something like that and ends up either too easy or too hard extremely quickly. And if you accidentally underpowered your team, the boss just creams you.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I bet he made decent money on it but I also bet regular board game margins are huge, almost as huge as the Gloomhaven box

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The Gloomhaven box aside, his Founders of Gloomhaven game had an absurdly low price point as well. 50 bucks, free shipping to anywhere EU/Americas, and it supposedly was a very decently sized box with lots of components. Nothing compared to Gloomhaven's 22lbs, but still.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
that's politics for you

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Dancer posted:

Choosing one player that you really hate and sacrificing your victory to block them would be weird in, say, Machi Koro, but I feel that games such as TI, GoT can be played in a way that embraces this.

and it saves a lot of time, think of all the board game nights you'd be invited to before pulling this move

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Mage knight can be bad if you never have three hours for a game

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Probably had my best board gaming experience with Oath this weekend even though we were drunk and played slowly

The people calling it a narrative generator were right

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Triskelli posted:

You can’t just leave it at that!! What happened?

My people were forever-prohibited from ever obtaining citizenry, but I found napalm (if you win, kill all enemy forces instead of half) and a witch's cauldron (killed enemy forces turn into warbands for you), so I went on a rampage burning everything down while the other Exile captured places all around the map. I think at least 4 temporary alliances were made before I took my revenge by stabbing the Emperor in the back and stealing his scepter, which I immediately used to make myself a citizen in order to win through Succession.

Great game, impossible to play unless you've got 2 or more other people who are really into board games. This is not a game for normal people.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Ok I've been out of touch with board games and board gaming for like over 6-7 years now and my wife keeps asking me for Xmas ideas so I walked to the local game store and I have no idea wtf I'm even looking at anymore. Can anybody give me a few recommendations that aren't like $200 limited edition kickstarter games or whatever?

Some games I've liked:
Dungeon Lords (Vlaada games in general I tend to really like)
Codenames
Pandemic
Flashpoint (i like coop games in general usually)
Battlestar Galactica
Chaos in the Old World
Dominion (wife loves it)
Love Letter

Games I liked in theory but hardly ever played even back then due to length and complexity. Also I have two kids now so lol at ever playing a full game of TI ever again.
Twilight Imperium (3rd edition I belive)
War of the Ring (1st)
Mage Knight
Archipelago (loved the idea and flow... hated the terrible and incomplete instructions)

Popular games at the time I hated:
Caverna
Arkham Horror
Puerto Rico

If your wife loves the engine building aspect of Dominion, she might be into Wingspan, which is a game that caters to casual board gamers more than grogs and features a competitive and a 'peaceful' game mode. Also if you like Vlaada games, check out Dungeon Petz. Check out quick overview videos of those games, I'm too hungover to type much (also I cut my index finger)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

KingKapalone posted:

Was thinking about getting a lighter game my wife might like and was thinking Wingspan. I played once and it was fun, but I think I remember it was getting some hate. Was that real or not? It's well reviewed on all the big sites at least.

I've seen some posts comparing Everdell to it, so maybe that's worth exploring?

On the other end of the spectrum, I'm just hearing about Oath since I haven't been following boardgames recently. My group played through Gloomhaven, KDM, and Pandemic Legacies so maybe this is a good choice. Not as much campaign, but I see the persistent mechanics. I would just hope they get into it as much since it's not co-op.

Oath isn’t co-op but losing doesn’t feel bad because even if you don’t win you likely impacted the next game, and probably had a lot of clutch moments before being just short of victory. It’s very hard to be stomped completely in that game.

Wingspan is fun and pretty but it’s a game that’s almost designed to be played with non board game enthusiasts. After a handful of games you’re probably through it

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Wingspan is a perfectly fine game you can actually play with normal people instead of the other poo poo I’ve got in my game closet

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
My group always just unboxes and learns how to play on the same day, we did that with oath and it worked just fine. Never ever do this to a non-boardgamer though

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I think Oath with a victory point track would be a far worse game. With a track like that you can build victory points in different ways one after the other, which would make the game not work, unless you lose points for losing board state as well, which just turns the VP track into a piece of bookkeeping that distracts from the actual board. It’d be like having a VP track in chess

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Holy poo poo dudes, my preorder of food chain magnate just got shipped

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

FulsomFrank posted:

Enjoy! It's one of my top 10 games of all time. The digital implementation on boardgamecore is so good though that it makes me think twice at times playing it in person. I feel similarly about some 18xx too :(

Nothing beats in-person though. If you can get at least three people together you're in for a treat.

I can get three people, not sure about three people excited about a 3 hour game featuring building a fast food empire though

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Oh wow a big box kickstarter game filled with plastic garbage can’t wait to jump in!

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Broken Mind posted:

Are there any plans to do another print run or what have you of Root? It doesn't seem super available these days, but I might just be bad at looking.

Edit: Hmm, nevermind, I seem to be an idiot and the designer's website has it. Ignore me.

Buy the neoprene maps too, they’re amazing. So smooth and cool.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Cosmic encounter

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Publishers can force stuff into the game as well. Less of a thing with kickstarters/self published games of course.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
It’s just worse gloomhaven, what’s the appeal

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Normal game stores don’t allow KDM players because they all suck, sorry KDM players who post ITT but you’re the board game equivalent of the warhammer players who give their armies german names and nobody likes you

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
They can start enjoying games when they give back our goddamn bikes

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Because, OP, the killer is a bad guy and you have to catch him. The game isn’t a morose slog in which you’re repeatedly told how much rape is happening, because the designers accurately guessed that normal people just need a few pointers that create a backdrop for the game. If you actually think the games are comparable in the themes they evoke you might be an alien

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Stop hitting yourself

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Cosmic encounter

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Kickstarter runs on fomo, but if something is good you can just get it later + extras for cheap

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Threadban prada slut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit