Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
I love the new thread smell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

KingKapalone posted:

Since the 7 Wonders discussion continued after my post about my decision between it, Agricola, Chaos in the Old World, or Kemet, maybe I can get more advice.

If I have Eclipse, should I not go with the latter two since I also don't have a worker placement game? The Chaos theme wouldn't bother the people I would probably play with, and in fact they would probably embrace it. It's random if the group would be 3, 4, or 5 (possibly more, but rare).

I've played Agricola once and I'd definitely like it. I also believe it's on the longer side though and with Eldritch Horror being my other newest game, maybe one of the other shorter ones would be better.

Agricola is probably the most well-rounded worker placement game out there. Caylus may be better, but it is dry as all hell. Lords of Waterdeep is a lot more accessible, but is aggressively mediocre. It also has tons of replayability with the multiple decks included in the box. Finally, there's a family mode that is simpler if complexity is an issue.

Chaos in the Old World and Kemet fill approximately the same niche of aggressive area control. Kemet scales much better to different numbers of players, but Chaos is one of my top games, so I'm a bit biased on this choice.

7 Wonders scales better than any game I know that isn't Tsuro, but it doesn't sound like that's too much of an issue. It's a good game, but has nowhere near the staying power of the other three games.

If length is a concern, stick to Kemet or 7 Wonders. If your players are concerned about complexity (how popular is Eclipse?), go with 7 Wonders.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

I got to play Temporum tonight. Played it twice, and I won both times. First 5 player, then 4 player.

This game is weird. It's a resource management game... except it's not. It's also an area control game... except it's not.

A thing that struck me as odd is that you only need 30 "points" to win. When you're scoring between 4~8 points every time you score, that's not nearly as many turns as you think you might get. The game seems to have all the moving parts of a much longer or complex game, yet it's short and simple. I think I might be in love.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Morpheus posted:

So my workplace had a gift exchange. I am mentioning this because I got a copy of Monopoly. Vanilla-rear end monopoly. This is the first time I've ever owned the game in my entire life and I've never wanted to play it less.

Hooray! Yuletide kindling!

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

My #1 tip is: Resist the temptation to go for the easy wins on early loops. It's very tempting to just go "Incident A triggers, you lose" on like day 2, but that just means your easiest path to victory has already been spent as the players will now be extremely wary of letting the same conditions happen again. The first loop is when the mastermind has the most space in which to setup a complicated scenario where it's not clear what's important and what isn't. Use that space. Sow confusion. Do irrelevant things. Win as late as possible.

Pull that easy win out on the last loop and you might blindside the players entirely.

Please don't do this for a teaching game. This is FANTASTIC once everyone knows what they're doing, but do not do this against newbies. You will never play this game with them again.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Do most players scoff at randomness? I was under the impression most people here favored it in most cases, assuming that it determines your options, rather than determining your success.

How do Ascension and Innovation fall on that divide?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

And I say this as someone who doesn't like Galaxy Trucker.

There's something wrong with you... but I'll forgive you if you're ok or better with Space Alert.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

I think all of Vlaada's games are really well-designed and well-put together. However, for me, personally, most of them aren't fun.

Hahaha. This sounds like me with Princes of Florence. That game is elegant, simple, and well-designed, but I refuse to play it again.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

I'm not trying to say there's anything wrong with any game that Vlaada has made and you guys don't need to bristle. I just don't enjoy Galaxy Trucker.

I think people are jumping on a perceived generalization. It looks to me that you don't like Galaxy Trucker (and possibly Space Alert), and that's fine! But it also seems people are responding as if you said "Vlaada sucks! All his games should burn!"

So... yeah. Galaxy Trucker is one of my favorite games, and I absolutely love Space Alert, but I totally understand they're not for everyone. They are definitely not usual fare.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

I stand by my statement that Ad Astra is a "fixed" Catan... minus a couple of the stupid artifacts.

VVVVVVVVV It is, and I am very upset about it. I truly feel that it is everything Catan should have been.

OmegaGoo fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 23, 2014

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Malloreon posted:

I just learned Temporum and played a couple turns single player.

I have zero idea what I'm doing. There's no cohesion to it. Gonna play an actual game tonight

There's a LOT of cohesion... once you get past the initial "I have no idea what's going on" phase. Because this game smacks you in the face during that phase.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Just played three fantastic 2-player games of Dominion and one dud. It was bad enough that we played 6 turns and called it, and I also started a list of "bad" boards.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Impermanent posted:

For science, what was the dud board?

Butcher
Cache
City
Inn
Market Square
Merchant Ship
Secret Chamber
Soothsayer
Vault
Workshop

As far as my friend and I could tell, there was one deck there and whoever got it first won.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Alright folks, it's New Year's Eve and I have been tasked with picking up games for 8-10 people.

I already have the following:

Dixit
The Resistance: Avalon
An extra table for a second game.

Any other recommendations that aren't Print 'n' Plays or CAH?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Panic on Wall Street if the group is down with being shouty

Oh yeah, I need to make a mention of that.

A member of the group has a disorder that prevents him from being able to hear anyone (or possibly even think properly) if multiple people are talking. So yeah, as much as I personally love Panic on Wall Street, that's out.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I dunno man but I figured putting a tiny, incredibly lovely quality picture of the internet troll man next to it would convey some level of insincerity (the joke, by the by, is that the manual says it supports up to 8 players despite that being a miserable play experience).

I believe the Intrigue manual has variant rules for up to 6 players. They're terrible. (Add four more Provinces and use the treasure cards from both base sets you have.)

S.J. posted:

Coup with the expansion plays up to 10.

... why would you do this?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

So far the following sound good:

One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Say Anything
Telestrations

Since I'm the one buying and my tastes are a tad... discerning, I think I'm less likely to get the first one than the other two.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

I just bought one of the giant Ultra Pro deck boxes to put Temporum in. I am very happy that I will have Temporum in the palm of my hand.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

What are some good games with an auction mechanic?

Princes of Florence is a very interesting one. It is very elegantly designed game with an interesting balance between scoring and income that is quite unique.

I also hate the game, but there's a reason I'm recommending it to you. Trust me on this one.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Does the thread have any strong opinions on Seasons?

I found the the base game to be bad. As in, I felt that after the initial draft of cards, the game was done, and the remaining hour~hour and a half was a waste of time. The expansions did wonders to fix that for me, and now I enjoy the game.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

S.J. posted:

Could you elaborate a bit on that? I also played the base game and was pretty turned off on it but never got the chance to try the expansions.

To be honest, not really.

The expansions add a number of cards that actually give you something to do on your turn and special powers that actually give you some tactical choices during the game. I just feel that with JUST the basic cards, it's really just an engine game with no set up time. There's a reason games like Dominion and Agricola tend to end about the time engines get going; setting up the engine is most of the fun, rather than playing it out. The expansions to Seasons add cards that allow you that sense of discovery and creation during the game, rather than being done after drafting.

I feel like I'm spouting nonsense here. It's a distinct possibility that if you didn't enjoy the base game, the expansions won't fix anything. I liked the concept of Seasons, but the base game's execution felt lacking to me.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

I'm quite certain those are from The Resistance.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

Coup. It's simple to learn and you will feel emotions while playing, unlike TTR.

Coup only works if everyone is at the same skill level. If you know how to play "properly" and you're teaching new people, the game is just awful.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Sloober posted:

I didn't feel like Crossfire was so much a deckbuilding game as it was a cooperative game wherein you and your friends have to waste a shitload of cards trying to save the low health elf or whatever it was called from the threat that can one or two shot them, and in exchange you get like two dollars which isn't enough to buy a new card for your deck since A) the game is short and B) you cycle your decks very slowly unless you get the rare cards that let you draw more, and even then you have to be lucky enough to draw them in the maybe one shuffle you got the first playthrough. It really felt like it was missing like, draw +1 card on round two or whatever, because threats would take upwards of 3-5 cards just to do one point of damage to them, and you can't do partial damage. Difficulty was all over the place and completely dependent on draw luck for threats - I think it would be better if they had varying piles for threat difficulty and you drew based off round etc.

So when you buy a card in Shadowrun: Crossfire, it goes to your hand.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Toshimo posted:

I'm gonna bite the bullet on this one, but for a more casual crowd, I've found that Nightfall hits a lot of the right notes for people. It's a werewolf/vampire/hunter deckbuilder with the key element being that you have a lot of interaction going on other players' turns. This has worked great for us as people get less distracted/fidgety if there's always stuff to do. Sure, it has some glaring balance issues and the occasional nonsense rule, but I've had success with it and really hope someone refines some of the better ideas in it into whatever the Dominion-killer turns out to be.

Nightfall is a combo-oriented, directly competitive, political as gently caress deckbuilder. While I enjoy the game, it is not a good game.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Broken Loose, in the interest of teaching Eminent Domain, should one teach without the expansion, or WITH the expansion? Are they different enough that we can skip straight to the better stuff?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

xopods posted:

So it turns out that the new Ascension expansion has some pretty good combos.

You'd think they'd catch something like that in playtesting. That's disgusting.

Edit:

VVVVVVVV Yeah, I know, but one can hope, can't I?

OmegaGoo fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 16, 2015

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Gutter Owl posted:

First, there is no rule preventing you from summoning and resummoning the same figure multiple times. If you want to spend your entire round hopping a single Bloodletter around the board, you're welcome to.

Oh thank goodness. For a second there I thought my favorite stalling tactic with Nurgle was against the rules.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

A friend of mine ran into me on my first week of college and dragged me to the student org fair. One of the organizations there was a board game group, and I decided to check it out. Played some intro games, but wasn't too interested in buying my own... yet. I then played some more at that group, and also went to a meetup at one of the FLGS here.

My first purchase was Catan, and two friends and I played 9 games of it in a row for 13 hours that night (I remember the number because I'm silly like that). I followed that up with Munchkin... then I ended up buying a bunch of other, better games. I have a reputation for being a snob, now. Oops.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

jmzero posted:

Also, any thoughts on Concept? The premise sounds clear enough, but I can't really picture how it actually plays and whether that makes for a fun game. Thoughts?

Concept is enjoyable, but the scoring system should be thrown out. To be honest, it feels like a more limited Pictionary. That's not necessarily a bad thing, since I find this more enjoyable since artistic skill is irrelevant, but you have to be even more creative to get a concept (haha) across. Of course, if the likes of Pictionary or Charades doesn't appeal to you, stay the hell away.

The more creative you're willing to be, the more fun you'll have. I once used one of the players as a sub-concept.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Apparently no one has played Pressure Cooker or have an opinion lol

OmegaGoo posted:

Do you like Galaxy Trucker?

Do you play with people who enjoy the physical aspect of Galaxy Trucker but can't seem to wrap their heads around building a good ship?

Do you play with people who are good at multitasking but suck at engineering?

Do you play with people who don't enjoy the schadenfreude but just want to do well at a game?

Then have I got a game for you!

Pressure Cooker is basically Galaxy Trucker without the "drive your ship" phase. Sure, there's a resolution round, but it's a much shorter scoring round. I personally believe Pressure Cooker is much more accessible than Galaxy Trucker for a similar gameplay experience. Galaxy Trucker, however, is the much better game.

That said, Pressure Cooker could have a place in a collection along with Galaxy Trucker if your players want a slightly more laid back experience. My only major issue with the game is that peppers can't go on a hamburger, but mixed vegetables can. Yup.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Doh hope i didn't just completely miss this post. Thanks!
We do own Galaxy trucker but think this might find a spot in our rotation.

So far my short list of games is:
Imperial Assault
Pressure Cooker

Possibly Zombie 15. Need another "light" game that plays pretty quick. Kicking around ideas

Nah, that was from the previous thread. I was just hoping someone with more experience with the game would post.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Dominion may be very good, even when played with two players, but the thing that soured me on it is the setup time. Yes, it's not very long, but with two experienced players, the setup and tear down feel just as long as playing the game, and I personally don't think that's worth it.

It's still fantastic, though. Can't really recommend it enough.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Megasabin posted:

Holy poo poo. Glory to Rome is 90 dollars? Some random board game shop owner convinced me to buy it on a whim 3 years ago for 15 bucks since he said it was his go to game. Since it wasn't the game I purposefully purchases, I forgot about it, and It's been sitting on my shelf unplayed since. Is it actually good?

It is my favorite game. It will seem random at first, and everything and it's mother is broken*, but the game is absolutely fantastic.

*GtR is one of the most balanced games I've played. Since everything is ridiculous, it merely levels the playing field at a very high level.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

ChiTownEddie posted:

Since someone mentioned it above, what is Camel Up like?

Hilarious, light, and super casual. The entire game you are at the whim of the dice, but you're betting on a race, so it doesn't feel bad. There is a modicum of strategy, but nothing more than push-your-luck. Still, you could do much worse for a casual game.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Bubble-T posted:

I've thankfully never had to sit through Munchkin or CE but my main group had similar experiences with Catan and Citadels. We also quickly outgrew Small World but that's just because it's boring as gently caress, at least it doesn't leave one person doing nothing for an hour and a half.

I still see Citadels regularly recommended on reddit as a game that plays lots of people and it boggles my mind. Who the gently caress thinks that game is fun with 8 people? Are they telling others to buy it as some sort of sick joke?

On a related note, I played Lost Temple for the first time on Friday (same designer as Citadels). It was atrocious. The only things I got out of it was "Wow, there are lot of excellently designed patches for such a lovely design."

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, Splendor really unimpressed me on its first showing. Seemed like every time I dare to buy a card, the guy after me in order got exactly what he needed and there was nothing anyone could do about it.

Splendor is literally my baseline; it is so thoroughly mediocre that any game better than it has to be decent, and any game worse than it is decidedly not worth playing.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Tippis posted:

Pretty much, although there's some minor (situational) advantage to being 4 in that one person is always free to do something else than be involved in the storytelling. Even with 3, it can be a long game, and having that pause to make a quick dash for the fridge/wc/whatever can be helpful. At the same time, the pause won't be long enough to make people lose interest completely.

The person to your right has to read the "reaction matrix"... something that can easily be handled by the person on your left as well if the person to your right REALLY needs to use the bathroom. 3 is really the ideal number.

VVVV I'm not entirely sure that I've seen someone embrace their reputation so thoroughly.

OmegaGoo fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 27, 2015

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

jmzero posted:

We sold Domain before the expansion, so I can't comment on that, but the base game certainly felt "not quite there". There's a lot of good ideas in the game, but it would have felt a lot more "finished" if there had been more varieties of viable strategy, if more of the "focus on X" strategies worked. After we were basically competent, I played 4 or 5 games in a row trying to make a "produce/trade" focused strategy work. In a couple of the games, things went pretty well for me (in terms of maximizing my efficiency), but I still finished far behind people who did the normal varied/tech-heavy build. Even with more than one person going heavy trade to try to rush an end, the traders never got a win (and often finished far back). Similarly, trying to flip a ton of planets seems like something that should have been viable, but it doesn't have enough point support.

In the end, there's some choice in what specific stuff you get, but the viable strategies all seem to have a similar flavor - and, worse, "what works" doesn't change from game to game, because there isn't enough variety to the opening positions. That's not to say there isn't strategy to playing Domain, but there isn't much room to successfully explore really different plans.

The expansion (+ mini planet expansion, which comes with the full version) addresses almost everything you've complained about here: the planets are better and more interesting, the scenario cards are literally one of the best things I have ever seen, and military DOES something. Seriously, get the expansion, it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

I just bought Mage Wars.

I regret nothing.