Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I've gotta say that requiring both control and support will be pretty much impossible for the empire, as it is for pretty much any COIN faction. That's too many plates to spin, and kinda pointless if you need control to adjust levels of support.

Did the empire care about who liked them? I feel like control would be enough. Just tossing that out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm looking to fill out a CSI order. Anyone have words for Thunder Alley?

I have a million words, all of them positive. Scales smoothly from 2-7 without much added playtime. Really cool maps, fun unexpected racing depending on the track. Some luck, lots of strategy, sells the theme (never watched NASCAR, still love the game) and is super easy to pick up. I definitely recommend it. (It's a table hog though)

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Brian Train is doing a current Iraq game, so expect an ISIS faction. Probably coalition, government, ISIS and Kurds.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

COIN designer Volko Runkhe is a CIA Analyst, so don't be surprised if his stuff ends up at the naval war college and the like.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

My seven year old niece kicked my rear end twice in Dominion yesterday.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

There's also eclipse, twilight struggle, and patchwork

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Most played is Command and Colors Ancients, sitting at 51 logged plays. Favorite game is probably twilight struggle with 45 logged. Many more on the app though.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Trey Chambers of Commerce.

I'll see myself out.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Kashuno posted:

Oh gotcha, that makes more sense. Also, Asmodee Digital is doing beta testing for Carcassone Digital on steam and while there are only a few people online atm, it looks gorgeous and play is decently smooth. The AI has some issues though.

They've had Carcassonne apps across all platforms for about four years now, I can't imagine converting the AI logic tree can be that hard.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

There's a soviet dawn expansion?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

https://www.victorypointgames.com/soviet-dawn-exp-kit-687.html

It looks like all the States of Siege games have one of these, adding a few extra cards and some variant rules.

I've gotta wonder how well this would mash into the c3i version. I feel like it might already be in there? The rules sound familiar.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I have some dragonshield four compartment boxes. The base game fits in a single box, unsleeved, and an expansion takes half a box. they stack real nice too.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

My biggest problem with ADP is counting uncontrolled population to make sure the marker is in the right place. COIN control is pretty easy, but I always end up double counting some provinces for uncontrolled.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

This sounds like yooper euchre, where there's a ton of extra house rules that are complete bullshit, aren't explained, and screw You over when when you're sitting on a loner.

(To be fair, euchre is like the dumb little brother of trick taking games. Called trumps are fun though.)

Here's a "did you know": jacks were added to playing card decks because of the game of euchre and didn't exist before it's popularity in England. Trick taking games go back a good long while and are excellent.

Out of pinochle, euchre, bridge, spades & hearts, which is your favorite? I've had the most experience with euchre, but that's solely a location thing. Great Lakes/Midwest has a love affair with euchre and pinochle.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Oh totally, I didn't mean to make a complete list of trick taking games. I'd especially like to hear from someone who prefers a non-standard deck version of the game. I've heard ghost stories about two deck pinochle, but those must be fairy tales.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

silvergoose posted:

Oh I forgot one! There's a game played with tarot cards in france, usually played 5p and the winner of the bidding auction gets a partner and the major arcana are trump and it's really trippy but pretty good.

What. Is. This.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

terebikun posted:

I wonder if dumb Midwestern house rules are why I didn't really like playing Euchre as taught to me by my Midwestern girlfriend. Actually, has anyone played the game Grit? I played a bunch of it while traveling years ago, all you need is a normal deck of cards, most of which you don't use. I remember liking it a lot, even if it's a little annoying to set up.

Also I played Cthulhu Wars for the first time, and liked it a lot. I think it might be a good game you guys.

Yeah, probably. Call no house rules except "screw the dealer" (dealer must call trump if no one else does) and you've got a decent game.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

homullus posted:

Euchre is a pretty dumbed-down (or, if you like it, distilled) trick-taking game to begin with.

It trades bids for called suit. I like called suits. It's still a half game due to half deck.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

pandemic: reign of Cthulhu's is actually pretty solid. Everything Arkham Horror should have been. No further review, I'm quite drunk. I liked it.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

PRADA SLUT posted:

Recommend a game I can play with six people, all medium board game people, with the following caveats:

No Codenames, Monikers, Resistance, Secret Hitler, or other overly party-esque games.
Should be playable in two hours or so.
No turbo-euros.
Reasonably easy to learn.
Teams are fine, but not necessary.

Right now I just have 7 Wonders that fits this description.

Bonus if it's something that people can all play 'together'. I was thinking something like Diamant but I can't find it.

Play Thunder Alley. It even plays 2-7!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Is there an iOS dominion app anymore? I don't see it in the App Store.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

PerniciousKnid posted:

Like General Mills?

Voted 5. Please close thread.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

COOL CORN posted:

How is Ogre? You can get the 6th edition with the reinforcements pack for like $30 which is absurd for anything even tangential to wargames.

I'd recommend grabbing the $2 bagged version and giving it a try. It's.... ok. But not amazing by any sense.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I do the "one in, one out" system with a single bookshelf. Works well. Once gloomhaven gets here I might have a few strays, just given the size.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I bought a dragon shield four compartment divider for dominion. I printed labeled dividers. It fits sleeved cards, if that's your thing. The base set fits in one, expansions fit in half of one. So base and two expansions fit in two of em.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Mr. Squishy posted:

If you ever find yourself playing someone who picks fights to have a 1/20th of a chance to score a point, stand not on the order of your going but go immediately.
It's like Charterstone lacking a next player rule: it will never come up, but it's a neat thing to point to to sum up why the game's hosed.

The point isn't that they could score a point, but that the high roller now literally sets the rules. Since this rule is codified, it allows a player to challenge every rule and fundamentally change the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ravendas posted:

Protip: Don't play with people like that.

Protip: don't play Xia. It has poo poo rules.