Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Ok what's the best Legacy Boardgame? Whatever it is I want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

DogCop posted:

: Jaws of the Lion

Might get that one since it's less expensive.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out.

I might be able to rope my family into trying Pandemic Legacy so that would be fun.

Edit: How's 7th Continent?

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 17, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Knightsoul posted:

The best for me is "Vampire the Masquerade : Heritage"

I bought it a few months ago, and finally tried it without the legacy mechanics recently. Liked it and now I'm trying to set a group together to do the full campaign.

I was asking for other options because that game made me think about them. :)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Rockman Reserve posted:

Crossposting from the main chat thread:

I should note I've also got Gloomhaven and JotL and am kind of burnt out on them solo.

Wait you can solo Gloomhaven?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I wish I could get a copy of Pax Pamir.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

FulsomFrank posted:

We had a Pax weekend and got to play Pax Viking, Ren (2nd), Pamir (2nd) and I mostly enjoyed all these games, some way more than others.

Pax Viking held up on our second play with 3p and we all had a great time. It felt way easier and simpler than the first time we played and aside from one or two clarifications here and there, it flowed super smoothly and played like a mix of a standard worker placement euro and the Pax series. My only concern is that moving forward I don't know how much attention the market row of cards/sagas/circles are going to get but that remains to be seen. I'm happy we all had a good time because one of our group had played it separately and hated it but I think the bad rulebook combined with fatigue exacerbated his issues.

Next up was Pax Renaissance, second edition. I had never played it but one of the guys has played it about a dozen times or so and the other guy had played it once online. The teaching was maddening and extremely complicated with borderline parody-tier edge cases and exceptions and specifications for every rule. We finally got going and I really had no clue what I was doing but just tried to suss out the mechanics and understand things. The second edition apparently has changed a few things but is mostly the same. One of my main issues is that the cards are very busy and I wish they had a clearer/more simplified way to quickly scan them and keep an eye on what you and your opponents are capable of pulling off. Still enjoyed it but I think it will be tricky to get on the table outside of a very narrow group.

Last up was two games of Pax Pamir: Rug the next day with just me and the GF. She was very skeptical going in and the first game ended after the very first dominance check because for some reason she switched allegiance without understanding the repercussions. Very so so game overall. The second game was something else and might have been one of the best I've ever played. Went right to the end, tons of assassinations, overthrows, allegiance switching, and general strategy/fuckery. She adeptly triggered the final dominance check before I could establish sufficient support to unseat her and boom, won the game. She loved it and said that she had been worried it was too complicated previously but now regards it as fairly simple all things considered. And wants to play it again.

Wait there's more Pax games? Are any of them actually possible to find? Because I really want Pax Pamir but it was a one-time run and it's impossible to find now.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

FulsomFrank posted:

There are tons. Some more complicated than others. A lot have similar beats but play differently. Pick your theme and go.

I thought Pax Pamir: 2nd edition had a couple of print runs? https://www.boardgamebliss.com/products/pax-pamir-second-edition?_pos=1&_sid=067f94bd1&_ss=r

Looks like it'll be back in stock imminently. Treat yourself and get the metal rupees though, they rock.

Nice!

I'm bad with money, I ordered Pax Renaissance and Pax Viking from my local game store since those were the two they had in stock.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

You might want to look into noted covid denier, climate change denier, minsogynst, and racist Phil Eklund before you buy any of his games. The first edition of Pax Pamir was even infected by his garbage because he included a ridiculous essay (and didn't allow Cole to publish his counter essay) since he was the publisher.

If you're coming to the Pax games for mechanical reasons, check out Oath. Same designer as Pamir, but set in a fantasy world and really feels like an evolution on the Pax games with a built in campaign like system that alters the deck and world map between games. If you're here for the historical settings, there's a ton of options we can probably help point you to.

Ouch. Too late now, but next time I'll know.

I played a few games of Oath, it was fun. And I'd be interested in the options uggested: I'm all for fun boardgame times.

Is there like a good TTS group or something?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

How's Charterstone? I see it's available on switch/steam/ios, in descending order of price.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Got my copies of Pax Renaissance and Pax Viking. Beautiful games. I might try the solitaire versions tonight.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

No one said you can't, but a prominent figure in both the board gaming hobby and this thread asked us not to out of good taste and I agree 100%. We all draw the line for supporting a garbage person where we feel comfortable, but folks here would rather not hear about him or his games anymore other than to warn others about his awful beliefs and agendas that he tries to spread through them.

Yeah I wouldn't have bought Pax Ren if I'd know beforehand. But I got it now, so I'll file it next to my Marion Zimmer Bradley books.

On the other hand, he doesn't appear to be the designer for Pax Viking, so that one should be okay? It's the one my friends wanna try next Sunday anyway, after we go see the Kaamelott movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Fate Accomplice posted:

can we gather a list of the games/designers who we shouldn't talk about?

Jordan Draper - all of the "Tokyo X" games
Phil Eklund - most of the Pax games
Sandy Petersen - anything Cthulhu Wars/Glorantha/bunch of others
Daniele Toscini - bunch of euros

once we have a complete list maybe add it to the OP?

Glorantha was Greg Stafford's creation, no?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Glorantha was definitely created by Greg Stafford, an anthropologist and shaman. Never heard anything bad about the guy.

I guess Petersen did a board game based on it, looking on google, but it’s very much not his thing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

CHanging track to not talk about the horrible guy anymore (jesus that spoiler), I remember years ago playing Age of Renaissance with friends, an old version not in perfect condition. Did that get remade?

Any other cool Renaissance games not designed by horrible people?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I like boardgames and I hate racists.

That's my stance on this issue.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

This is the game I was talking about : https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/26/age-renaissance

Doesn't look like there was a second edition. Long out of print but I might be able to get a cheap used copy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Mayveena posted:

For us it was a weakened Advanced Civ so we played it a couple of times (there's also something broken in it as well, but forgot what that was) and I sold it.

Yeah, that's why I was hoping for a second edition.

I'm open to suggestions for cool similar games too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm still looking for cool Renaissance/History themed board games. I gave a look at the category on BoardGame Geeks and there's so many I don't know where to start!

And I don't wanna unknowingly give money to a chud again. If only I'd waited a day or two more before my impulse purchase... :smith:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

That's a pretty broad category, what kind of mechanics are you looking for? Historical stuff will often lean towards war gaming, and Renaissance will lean very pasted on theme Euro game style.

I have broad tastes, haha. But more seriously I'm willing to try a lot of different stuff, but I like co-op games (with or without traitors) and I really liked Pax Pamir and Root and similar games.

Triskelli posted:

My recommendations are:

Condotierre
Navegador
Age of Empires 3, aka Empires: Age of Discovery
Endeavor: Age of Sail

DogCop posted:

History overall as a theme covers probably half of all board games but here are some good ones near the Renaissance period:

Field of the Cloth of Gold
In the Shadow of the Emperor
Lorenzo il Magnifico
Princes of Florence
Princes of the Renaissance

If you want to get REALLY serious about historical simulation you can check out Here I Stand or Virgin Queen.

RabidWeasel posted:

I literally just mentioned Troyes and it's Medieval rather than Rennaisance but the art is absolutely lovely and makes what would otherwise be a fairly dry Euro game feel more immersive (the cards all being titled in French helps).

Thanks, I'll check those out when I got the time/money! :)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Well you clearly like Cole's designs, so look into John Company (2nd edition KS delivering next year) and An Infamous Traffic. Both are fascinating historical simulation games.

Adding them to the Big List (tm).

Triskelli posted:

Very true, but do we get to call the 1700s “The Renaissance”?

No, but I also accept broadly historic suggestions. :)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I love Race for the Galaxy, so that MoO game sounds good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Man, I remembered this cool Roman-themed board game I used to play with friends 10-15 years ago. It was called Tribune. I wonder if I can find a copy anywhere?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

silvergoose posted:

There's a new version that's out, not sure how hard it would be to get a copy since it was kickstarter and is it even fulfilling yet?

But yeah that's your best bet.

I'm sad I missed that but glad it's back.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

silvergoose posted:

A couple somewhat prominent boardgame podcasts have people who adore the game, fwiw, it's definitely not one that's been lost to time.

No but it's lost to online sellers for sure.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

So how's Scythe? I got the steam version in a random sale but never actually tried it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm gonna get Pandemic Legacy to play with my brother and sister. I'm guessing Season 1 is where to start, but there's two versions: red and blue. Any differences?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyYexTcyY2A

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jewmanji posted:

Just paid a really silly amount for Pax Pamir 2E. Gonna just tell myself that this game is going to be worth it. Just gotta find someone who wants to play lol :(

WHERE!?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Dammit.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

FulsomFrank posted:

I thought Cole said in his most recent email the reprinted copies will be hitting the streets soon so I wouldn't stress about getting a copy from a scalper if you can hold off for a few months. The game is really good though...

That's my plan.

I just don't want to miss that too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

How's Shasn? It got a big kickstarter recently.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

So the Gloomhaven campaign is finally out in the videogame version!

Now do I try solo or try to find some people for co-op?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/warriorwithapen/daimyo-senso-a-relaunch?ref=section-games-projectcollection-15-category

This game looks right up my alley. Should I back?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Anyone know if the Darkest Dungeon boardgame is good?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ogdred Weary posted:

I remember a reviewer saying it replicated the gameplay of the video game in an accurate but very dull way

Hmm, and it's certainly very expansive.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ojetor posted:

Just got Anno 1800 to the table for the first time, really enjoyed it.

Huge pain to set up, tho. Anyone have a good storage solution? I might end up doing a custom foamcore which I haven't done in a bit.

I got on sale on impulse, having never played the computer game, and I have no clue when I'll ever get to play it.

How is it?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

One day I'll get Pax Pamir.

One day.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Which Dune boardgame? There's now a bunch of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

First game of Pandemic Legacy with the family went well!

We lost the first game thanks to bad draws, but won the second thanks to misreading a rule. Going by the book we get less funds next month to compensate. Also, the bonus card got ripped a bit when we tried to scratch it. Any place online where I can look up the text?