Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Lorini posted:

I think we do a far better job of recommending games for people than BGG does. Their top 10 games are nearly useless. We on the other hand do better analysis and framing for the situation requested.

Yeah, thanks to this thread I bought:

- Hanabi
- Bohnanza
- Keyflower
- Cuba Libre
- Fire in the Lake
- Tash Kalar
- Love Letter
- Puerto Rico

I played mostly ameritrash games like Doom, WoW or Descent 1st and so were my friends. But I just wanted to try something new and I got my ideas here.

I got most of the above mentionned games on the table and all of them were hits.

So yeah, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Any opinions on Warriors and Traders? It looks and sounds interesting and I can get a new copy for around 40 bucks.

So is it any good?

I like strategy games with very few luck factors and no hidden information. So should I get it?

And I read that the game has a co-op mode. How does it play?

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 20, 2015

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

CW was ok when I played it.

The minitures are good looking but I found them to be kind of distracting.

The spell book mechanic was kind of neat and trying to get them and which one to take when you could choose one was fun.

Blue seemed a bit to strong when he used his units right.

But the greatest problem for me was the combat. Every figure having just 1 hitpoint didn't feel right and I found it kind of boring. That's my biggest complain with the game.

I would play it again so I don't think it's horrible or bad.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

What are some good solo compatible games that use mostly cards?

There is the lotr ccg and I have death angel.

I really like the cards combat aspect of mage knight and was wondering if there is a similar cards only game.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Has anyone played 51st State?

I'm looking for a game with a post apocalyptic theme and I don't want a minitures game.

So, is it any good?

Any other post apocalypse games that don't use minitures?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

How is Dawn of the Zeds?

It looks like a good solitaire game and seems to be one of the better Zombie themed games.

Is it worth getting the 2nd Edition and the directors cut add on?

Or should I wait for the 3rd Edition?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

It took me like 6 tries to beat Friday on easy mode... And I drew some of the easier pirates...

Managing your hitpoints is sooooo important. I try to loose all of my negative Cards in the green stage of the danger cards and I worked out pretty well.

Also try to tackle the Cards like wild animals and cannibals in the green stage if possible. Helped me a lot in my games.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

I got my wife into playing board games with me thanks to Pandemic and Agricola:ACBAS.

She also likes Pillars of the Earth and Keyflower.

So after looking for a 2-player game with a similar theme I stumbled upon Fields of Arle.

Could this be something for us? Or could it possibly be too complex?

She loves the farming aspect of ACBAS and I thought about just getting the Gric but I read many times that it can be a very punishing game. And that could be a turn off for her.

So how forgiving is Fields of Arle?

And is it any good?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Sounds good to me.

Seems like I will be ordering this today.

Thanks

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

So anyone in Germany who wants to get Pictomania:

The revised edition is on sale for 13,5 € at https://www.spiele-offensive.de/Spiel/Pictomania-Revised-Edition-1011778.html

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Deathlove posted:

What's different in the Revised edition? The rules on BGG look the same to me.

I has higher quality components like sponges instead of rags and plastic card holders.

I think thats it, no new rules or anything like that.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

I played it with just my wife a few times and it works just fine.

The game scales really well. And I haven't had any AP related problems with any Player.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

I'm really tempted to try out some foamcore and make my on inserts.

I'm just not the best when it comes to crafting stuff.

How much of a hassle is working with foamcore?

And is it worth it or should I just stay with ziplock bags?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Dirk the Average posted:

I've found it pretty easy so far, but I'm an engineer with access to drafting tools, so I can cut perfect right angles with them. You need a way to cut right angles well.

Care to explain why it is so important?

As I said, I'm not really good a crafting to it might be a super simple reason.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

quote:

Lots and lots of foamcore tips

Thanks a bunch.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

What are some good games that are using mostly dice for set collection or worker placement (or other placement mechanisms) that have some depth to them?

I'm not really interested in Castles of Burgundy and Pandemic: The Cure and Roll for the Galaxy are way to expensive here in Germany for my taste.

Any recommendations?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

I see...

Yeah, I think I have enough point salad games atm to Bora Bora is out.

Alien frontiers is also like 60 bucks here so that is not an option right now.

So in Kingsburg low rolls are bad and you can't really compensate for that? Meh...

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Yeah, maybe the description was a bit narrow...

How about games that use mostly dice and use them in a creative way. And have some depth.

I would really like to try Rollftg but it's around 75 bucks... It sounds really really good.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Thanks for the suggestions.

Troyes is pretty hard to get atm and a new copy costs 115 bucks :-(

Quantum looks pretty nice but again, 70 bucks. These games don't seem to have been picked up by a German Publisher yet so that would explain the steep prices...

So it looks like i have to wait for my next salary...

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Both Praetor and Marco Polo look really nice.

I have to look into them a bit more.

Thanks

snuff posted:

RoFTG is worth the wait.

I hope it gets picked up my a German Publisher.

Edit: The more I look at Marco Polo the more I like it. Any negative things I should be aware of?

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 17, 2015

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

snuff posted:

RoFTG for £34.94 + £1.99 for shipping to Germany

http://www.shop4world.com/dice-games/roll-for-the-galaxy?awc=5779_1437139544_de683772b9a25dfd8ecbb18ed60fdd01

Seems like a pretty decent price if you don't care about localization.

Wow, thanks for the link. That price is indeed pretty nice.

Undead Hippo posted:

I've only played it one time, and that was last night. Everyone really enjoyed it. As far as criticisms go, I think it's a bit generic in its core gameplay. There are two big "innovations" it makes, which are the dice placement aspect and the extremely distinct characters, the rest of the gameplay is the same style of resource management euro gameplay that you've probably seen in a lot of games before. I like that sort of thing, so I thought it was good, and its more distinctive features were adding to the enjoyment rather than getting in the way.

Seems alright.

Thanks

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Lorini posted:

The Voyages of Marco Polo is excellent in that space.

Great. It looks like I found my next purchase.

Thanks

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

So The Voyages of Marco Polo should be in the mail today and I hope I get to play it this week.

I watched some playthroughs and people were complaining about the characters. Mainly that some of them were too strong and imbalanced.

Could that be a concern when introducing that game to other players? Or are the characters balanced and the folks were just exaggerating?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Lorini posted:

The awesome thing about Marco is that your choice of character is a strategy just like any other strategy. When you are playing with all new people, they will tell you who gets which character depending on player order. However that in fact can lead to an unbalanced game depending on what cards are dealt on the various sites you can visit. So yes, if you have no clue about game design, you'll panic over your first play and go around screaming unbalanced. However if you actually look at the characters and the cards and the board, you'll realize that certain characters are better for certain situations and certain characters are not as good. You also need to adapt your strategy to your character. If you have the guy who gets bonus points for traveling everywhere then you'd best focus on travel instead of trying to pick up 2 contracts every round.

What's fun is to see people's faces when you give them (as the new player) the character that lets you set your dice to whatever you'd like, while the rest of the players roll. This seems overpowered on its face, but it certainly forces your strategy in a way that optimizes die rolls instead of perhaps getting other benefits. No one that I know who has played Marco several times has any issue with the balance of the characters.

That's great to hear.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Why would anybody ever kicktart something like this?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scandalous/scandalous-the-naughty-drawing-game/

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/459648706/i-see-what-you-did-there-18/

It can't be that hard to come up with "naughty" games by yourself. Why pay for such things?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Stan Taylor posted:

Maybe I'll get Pictomania? Tad pricey for an impulse buy though.

Get it. It's awesome-

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Is Nations - the dice game any good?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Bummer... It looks kinda neat...

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

medchem posted:

I tried it out a couple of months ago at Origins. For 4 of us, it took less than an hour to learn and finish a game, so it was at least quick. The gameplay was a bit simple, so I can imagine non-gamers getting it fairly quickly. The one play I had was ok, but I don't know if it has a great replay value since you pretty much go through 80% of the cards in one game. The MSRP was $50, which we all thought was way too high. With the replay value being questionable, I'd say it's a pass. Two of the other players had Nations btw, and they both preferred that game to the dice version.

Thanks. I guess I'll pass on that game then.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

What are some good low stress solo games that have a puzzle feel to theme?

I love Mage Knight and Fields of Arle but I'm looking for something a bit shorter and less space demanding.

I already have Pandemic, Death Angel, Friday and Onirim.

So just something I can set up quickly and play for maybe an hour.

I heard some good things about "At the gates of Loyang". Could this want I'm looking for?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Stickman posted:

I haven't tried Loyang, but I've also heard good things about it. Depending on your personality, most single-player / coop games might not be low stress because thy tend to be hard as balls! If you don't mind that, though, Infection: Humanity's Last Gasp is a very puzzly solo game with a pretty small footprint. You're trying to draw compounds to create an antibody for an ever-changing virus while the death toll rises and your team falls apart because Bob ate someone else's stuff out of the fridge again (may be misremembering details of the last one). I think there's an app version now, if you want to try before you buy. Compounded has a similar feel and the new expansion has a solitaire variant, but I haven't tried that.

If your looking for something much less stressful, I've yet to lose a game of Sentinels of the Multiverse. There's not much meat to it, however. Your'e much much better playing on Steam or iPad, where games last 15 minutes and you can easily control multiple characters. And at that point, there are much better chill games.

I'm also personally liking the unofficial solo variant for Patchwork, though it might be a bit too light.

Comedy Space Alert option!

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Hard as balls is not a problem as long as it's fair. How fair is Infection?

Edit:

Rutibex posted:

Barbarian Prince is pretty fun, and doesn't take up much space.

That's print and Play, right? How much work does it take to assemble it?

What I like about Arle is that the game is never putting pressure on you and you just try to make as many points as you can.

i was thinking about getting another Rosenberg game but the theme of Le Havre doesn't interest me and Agricola can be a bit punishing. That's why I was looking at Loyang.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Rutibex posted:

Not hard at all, most of it is just a booklet, you only need arts and crafts skills if you want a nice board. There are no tokens or anything, I just use a dime for my character.

Achmed Jones posted:

Good luck finding a physical copy, but at least the print and play is free!

Gonna give it a try then.

Thanks

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

So I looked closer at "Gates of Loayang" and came across "Merkator".

Has anyone played that one?

How does it Play solo?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Thinking about getting Samurai Spirit and SOS Titanic.

Any reason not to buy these?

Edit: Oh, and is Fleet any good?

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Sep 3, 2015

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

MonkeyMaker posted:

Samurai Spirit is decent but a bit overly-long with more than 2 players. There aren't a lot of choices to make on each turn. It doesn't seem super-prone to quarterbacking, either. I'd probably recommend Ghost Stories, by the same designer, over Samurai Spirit unless you really need more than 4 players.

Thanks

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Ghost Stories is a bit hard to get here atm...

Maybe SS as an easier alternative?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

That is one of the reasons I stopped playing Descent (both Editions).

Being the overlord is just not that much fun to me anymore. If you are too mean 4 other People aren't having any fun. If you are too easy on them it is boring for the overlord.

I only play it when my group really really really wants to play it.

And then I treat it more like a rpg session with me as the DM.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Rutibex posted:

If you are essentially the DM, then you shouldn't feel so bad if you lose all the time to the players. Thats your job, as DM you are supposed to lose (but in a way that looks like you didn't do it intentionally).

That's why I choose to play it this way. I don't care if I loose as the overlord.

So my group can have fun with the game although I'm not really into it anymore. Most of the time I'm doing them a favour.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Went to Spiel yesterday:

Played Viceroy. It was ok. It felt kind of shallow tactics wise but maybe it will get better after some more plays. (A friend bought it)

Got Codenames and the new Tash Kalar deck and hope I get to play with it a bit next week.

Got W1815 as an entry level kinda wargame. Hope my wife will try that one with me and likes it. Next stop then Cuba Libre and Fire in the Lake.

Got Inhabite the Earth after talking with the designer and watching some people play it. Looks really nice and I don't have a racing game in my collection yet. Should be able to play that one on Sunday I hope. Also got last years Keyflower promo tiles.

Overall it was a great day and I'm a bit sad that I don't have time for another visit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Lichtenstein posted:

Has there been a reprint at last? Or did you just kill somebody and raid his home?

Maybe? UGG (a German Distributor for GMT and other wargame publishers) had some copies. And there were at least 1 other booth that had more copies.

And it was just 24 €. I guess that would be to cheap for an OOP wargame.