Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

GrandpaPants posted:

I rolled like a 2 on shields :negative:

Seriously, a range of 1-10 on random damage when even top tier ships have 14 hit points is pretty bullshit.

Xia talk:
Our first game, a friend went to the debris field to collect stuff. This location has this roll: 1-3: DEAD, no save. 4-20: Get a purple cube to sell. First roll: 2. Dead! He had a tier2 ship, so he had to miss an entire turn.

He respawns, tries this again as a quick way to make money to make up for lost time. First roll: 2. Dead. Another turn skipped.

Respawns, decides he'll explore a bit. Blind jumps into the sun. ~Dead~

Respawns, decides to do some simpler exploration nearby, through a single tile of a debris field (once again, 1-3 dead, 4-20 safe). Rolled a 1.

That's when we decided to stop the 'die and lose a turn' mechanic, replacing it with 'respawn with slight damage and slight energy loss' on the following turn.

It's pretty much a game where you can't care about winning, because the dice, which control EVERY action in the game, can really mess you up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I had the opportunity today to go to an awesome Barnes and Nobles (one that actually carries GOOD board games and x wing stuff) and I saw a bunch of stuff thats has been reccomended by the thread and I just wanted to buy up everything. The problems are

1.Storage of these things is getting tight

2. How often would I really get the chance to play half these things

3.Price, everything was $50+ dollars, nothing I'm not used to but it's alot to spend up front when im suppose to be christmas shopping.

So I settled on Memoir 44 and Pandemic: In the Lab for myself, although I will definitely be going back for the other stuff

B&N usually charges retail price. Ordering on websites can get huge discounts, with $100 usually being the bar for free shipping. Even without it, it's cheaper than stores.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

goodness posted:

Great post! I am new to board games myself, but have always been interested. I have just played Carcassone, Catan, Puerto Rico, Ticket to Ride, Munchkin. Basic stuff.

I wish there was a board game rental system.

Some parts of the world have board game cafe's / stores, with dozens to hundreds of games opened up to play on the shelves. Dollar an hour per person or so rents you a table and you can try out whatever you want.

Played tons and tons of different games to get a feel for what I like in a popular chain of stores in Taipei, Taiwan. Really, really miss it.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Thanks to the guy a few pages back that mentioned that Kemet was for cheap, my copy came today! Skimming through the rules i was very surprised it's only 8 pages (those pesky other languages making up the majority of the manual) and it didn't seem complicated to play, but how newbie friendly is it? By newbie, i mean the people i'm thinking of playing this with have played Risk so they're at least a little familiar with the concept of moving dudes on a board and attacking, but they are also the kind of people who i'd have to explain what a VP is too.

I've played Kemet once, so I'm a newbie at it. The biggest challenge at the start was having to go over all 48(?) power tiles. That's a ton of frontloading info. If you can somehow get them to at least peruse the pdf rules for it beforehand, it could make the actual sit down and teach a bit easier.

The rules themselves are easy though. It's just there are some rules that aren't written very straightforward, like that silver gem power on top of the pyramid, and certain powers affecting combat but not actually being part of combat. I've only played it once, so I don't remember their names. I know I spent a lot of time during the game flipping through the faq trying to figure out how some of these powers worked.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Gimnbo posted:

You have a reference sheet so that you don't have to go through the tiles one by one. People can grasp stuff on their own.

Isn't there only a single reference sheet?

I'm not saying he has to teach each one. I'm saying each person either reads each one, or goes 'gently caress it' and buys random things and has a bad first game.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Some Numbers posted:

Your group doesn't have a reference sheet for each player?

Corbeau, you really spoil us.

The guy that owns it wasn't much for doing anything beyond 'open box, punch tokens.'

If it were me running Kemet, after knowing what I do now, I'd definitely add extra reference sheets, and probably print the faq that better explains some poorly worded powers.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Scyther posted:

I haven't played Xia but my understanding is the game is full of dumb dumb things like rolling a die based on your engine quality to move (a crappy engine might be a d6 while a good engine might be a d10), rolling your attack, then the defender rolls shields (a crappy shield again might be a d6 and a good one might be a d10), and all sorts of other poorly thought out crap like "every time you roll a 20 on a d20 for any reason, you get a victory point, hooray!"

Basically the design reeks of "this is my first game and the only playtesters were a handful of my friends who played the game exactly as I'd envisioned it should be played so everything went fine".

I own it, backed it, and posted a ton about it on BGG.

This is pretty spot on.

You get to buy ship parts, which fit like tetris pieces in your hull. Fun! There's only 4 kinds of parts though, Engines, Shields, Blasters and Missiles. Three tiers of each, which just makes the die size bigger, and some allow more uses in a turn.

You get 4 actions in a turn, limited by the ship's parts. Engines can be used 3x, shields two or three times, blasters twice, missiles once. So if you want to go to Planet X, you use one marker on your engines, roll dX based on size, move. Not there yet? Do it again. Still not there? One more use of the engine! There's also impulse speed, which is a free movement, like 2-4 spaces.

Combat is just "roll your attack dice, they roll shields, subtract attack from shields, that's the damage." Damage is placed on the hull, possibly knocking out cargo and damaging the parts. The only problem is that blasters roll 2dX, shields tier2+ roll 3dX, making it very hard to damage people.

You can upgrade your ship, and each ship has a special power which carries over, so there's some more customization.

This is the only (non-RPG) game I have that has had more than a single houserule. I've actually got a little document on BGG just to keep track of all the little modifiers, because there's so many little broken or annoying things about it. Limiting shields, removing the 'lose a turn if you die', making exploration more spaced out so a single trade route doesn't dominate the game, fixing a few ships' broken powers... http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1254714/ravs-house-rules

So, if you hate dice, this is not for you. Combat is very random, missions are very random, mining is very random, everything has a die roll attached to it, none of which you can really modify at all. The best you can do is upgrade your ship to roll bigger dice. It has a ton of freedom of choice in the game, and is built for people to mod in their own bits, but it's begging for houserules, and can run on if people overthink things.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

ThaShaneTrain posted:

Galaxy Trucker was the next one and it's the first time I have played it, the other two guys had played the app. Had to skim over the rules to cover any gaps not learned from the app but we eventually got it all hammered out. I really like it. It has the feel of "lets plan (build) something and hope it works (survives)" like Space Alert but doesn't have the reassurance of you working with other people. One of our players got too attached to his ships and didn't like how torn to poo poo they got in the travel portion but as he played he came to terms with it, his level 3 ship losing two tiles in all really helped.

Questions: You flip the timer equal to the phase +1 correct? Also do you flip it as soon as possible or anyone can flip it anytime as long as it gets all of its flips before building is over? If the second option of the previous question is true when do you guys flip it in your games?

If it's the first round, you start the timer on Round 1's marker (the 2nd one). To flip it onto the final spot, you have to have finished making your ship and grabbed a turn marker.

For the other rounds, you start on their round marker, and you can flip it to the next lower marker once the timer runs out. You don't have to flip it right away, but if you think you're building a little better and faster than the others, flip it early. If you're doing bad or are stuck, hold off and hope no one else flips it.

My first game, I flipped it every time I could, which made the owner of the game super-pissed at me, because apparently she HAS to have a perfect ship. I just wanted some tense building, otherwise what's the point of having a timer? When the 3rd round came up, she actually took the board and timer away from the middle, and in the corner next to her so I couldn't reach it. Luckily, a guy who was sitting next to her flipped it for me every time I said "Flip".

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Big McHuge posted:

I find Gric to be boring and dry, but I absolutely love Terra Mystica and will gladly play it as often as my group will allow.

Same. I disliked gric, but I love Terra Mystica.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Morpheus posted:

Damnit game makers, accommodate my crippling need to protect and organize my poo poo.

That's one of the good things Xia did. His plastic insert spot for cards is a big cross shape. Put the cards in unsleeved one way, or sleeve them and place them in the other, slightly wider slot. Doesn't take much more room, and accommodates everyone.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Obama 2012 posted:

Over the holidays I got the chance to run a 7-player game of Eclipse and I am shocked (shocked, I say!) at how well the simultaneous turn variant managed to speed up the game without causing us problems. The galaxy setup was a bit broader than with 6-players, which may be what enabled my neighbor to block me off from the galactic center with a tier 1 tile before I could even get there. That did end up leaving me no option except to steamroll my way through him though, and by the end of the game he was in last place, down to 1 territory and no ships left on the board, so I guess there's justice in the world after all.

Has anyone had experience using alliances with 7+ players? The more experienced amongst our group had no enthusiasm for playing with them, so we left them out. The only time I ever used them was in a 4 player game, which ended with the two most powerful empires just joining together and leaving the rest of us to wither. I decided after that not to have them at all unless there were significantly more players.

We used to play Eclipse (with expansion) twice a week, usually 4 or 6 players. 4 players we left it as a standard free-for-all, but with 6 we opened up 2 person alliances. So in this way, it never ended up as half vs half, it might become 2v1v1v1v1, or 2v2v1v1. Just because they're working together doesn't mean they'll win, their scores are still averaged out. I've even seen an alliance break up late in the game when one person really tanked, and the other was huge.

Though, I once did a similar thing as your opponent did before. I blocked a person in, then said "We've got two choices. Fight the whole game, or we make an alliance, I cede this system near the middle to you, I protect most of our sector while you go and annihilate people."

She chose the 2nd, and we won. Another pair made an alliance, with the single people picking at both groups, knowing that the two large alliances were after each other mainly. Worked out better than you'd think.

Eclipse is still one of my favorite games.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I've played Space Alert a few times with another goon, and had a good time. Thinking about picking it up finally.

Should I get the expansion at the same time as well? Does it add a lot, or is it just upping the difficulty?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bad news for anyone wanting to get Kemet or Space Alert: I just ordered the last remaining copies of each from CSI.

That is all.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I was spoiled in Taipei. There's a few chains of boardgame shops, the main one being Caca City (It's Carcassonne, in Chinese, then back into English.) http://www.cacacity.tw/

Each store has a ton of games, and if one of them doesn't have one you want, they'll schlep it over from another store to your preferred store if you give them a heads up. Each store is a big open area with lots of tables, chairs, some separate rooms for a more private atmosphere, and lots of snacks and such. Each person is $1 an hour to play, and I think it caps at $6 for the day. I'm pretty sure if you're in their rewards programs, you can use the money you spent in one day towards a game you buy at the end as well. Their staff is supposed to know all the rules for all their games, so if you want to play one, they'll suggest a game and teach you how to play. It's amazing. There's also several clubs full of foreigners and locals that have regular meets multiple times a week across all the stores, so I was gaming two to three times a week, within walking distance of my apartment.

They're common enough, and in high traveled areas that you get all kinds of 20-30-somethings in there. Even groups of college aged women coming in to play some games after classes. It's really a nice and friendly atmosphere.

Now, back in America, the local shop has a Munchkin case, a Zombie/Cthulhu wall, and everything is full MSRP. No board games are opened, it's all Magic and Warhammer, and I don't think there's even any snacks for sale? Or maybe I missed it somewhere. I went in looking for a board gaming group, and the only one around says they play mostly "Munchkin, Cthulhu ____, Zombies!!!, Magic and Fluxx."

I want out of this country.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

thespaceinvader posted:

On a different note, where does the hivemind sit on Clash of Cultures? I played it for either the second or third time today after a LONG drought (this time with the expansion) and just found it... WAY too fiddly. It has the core of a good game, and I like the tech tree and more importantly, the way the tech tree is designed, the die cut holes work great. But there's just so much to learn and I feel like I have to know all of it and even when I do it's very difficult to know what I should actually be doing and what's important to get now and whether I should be getting this which makes that thing I'm doing cheaper or better or just doing that thing straight away and what you just killed me gently caress arg where did that come from poo poo.

There's too much of it to be straightforward, i think. I far prefer a relatively simple game with emergent complexity than I do a complex game with lots of complexity. It's similar to the issues I have with Civilisation (the newer version) only magnified a lot by the techs being fiddly as poo poo and having a bunch of text on them which doesn't necessarily do intuitive things and at least 7 resources to consider and remember and work out how you're getting.

I played half a game of it once, due to time constraints. I liked what I saw, but it sits in the same niche as Eclipse (2-3 hour 4X), and I love Eclipse, so I can't justify buying it.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

thespaceinvader posted:

We've tended towards Love Letter as our current fun filler though, because the components are some drat minimal. I've been meaning to invest in a copy just to keep in my bag in case I'm with a group of bored people.

Lost Legacy is the new Love Letter.

It uses the exact same setup, a set of 16 or whatever cards, numbered in the corners, hand of 1, draw 1 play 1. The only difference is that instead of winning if you survive and have the highest card, pulling the last card starts the 'investigation phase'. Because either someone has the Lost Legacy card, or it's face down in the discarded 'ruins' pile. You start counting up from 1, if someone has that card number they make a guess of where it is. Flip over the card, if it's the Lost Legacy, they win! Otherwise, continue onto the next number. It's possible no one wins if no one finds it. There's a lot of reverse psychology going on, because a lot of the cards have the 'swap/notswap' effect from Mascarade, where you take two cards, put them under the table and return one of them to wherever it came from. So if someone knew where the Lost Legacy was, now they might not be so sure. Even holding onto it isn't too safe, because it's #5. While you know where it is, you don't get to guess until potentially a few others do, and they can call your hand.

It also has two standalone expansions so far, which are just the same game with a different set of cards.

It's fun, but the card effects aren't as straightforward, so even after playing it half a dozen times, we were still reading the cards because some of them are similar and fiddly.

I like it though, it's something to switch in when you get too many games of Love Letter in. All you have to do is explain the simple investigation phase, and you're off. I'd definitely start new players on Love Letter though, it's simpler. But they're all like $6.50 on CSI, so just grab em all.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

echoMateria posted:

What is "sandbox" about it? I thought it was a straight pick up and delivery game.

I assume it is not having a bunch of different things you can do to gain victory points. Since that would make almost every odd game a sandbox.

(setting aside the excellent explanation Bubble-T mentioned just above :) )

It's sandbox because you have options to get the victory points.
-Trading, buying and selling at planets gives vp.
-Mining stuff and selling it at planets gives vp.
-Missions give vp.
-Killing other players and NPCS gives vp.
-Exploring gives vp.

The game suggests you start the game with some plan in mind, like starting with tier2 engines and tier1 shields to be an explorer and such.

I've said lots of words previously, and have like 400 posts on it in the BGG forum for it. I'm rather critical and have my own thread of houserules for it. There's a lot of good components, but the rules are janky and need some fixing.

Also, his last minute shields change made combat against players very difficult unless you have the one starting ship with an attack power. Which makes this somehow balanced for defenders of it, because "Well, if you want to be a pirate, pick that ship!" "What if two people want to be pirates, or other players want some actual chance?" "BLUHBLUHBLUH"

Basically, guns do 2dX based on tier, while shields block 3dX based on tier. 2dX - 3dX means you do fuckall damage for anyone with shields. And these shields are usable fully against every attack, so the bonus shots like "Deal 1d8 damage!" is blocked full usually by people with even tier1 shields. The only thing combat really does is waste the attackers turn, and drain a bit of energy from the defender, which is topped up for free at any of the planets that cover a third of the board.

The one ship that's rather good at combat is so because it has a power to add another die to an attack, but -1 for that attack. So you get a missile that fires a single shot, and double it. Even then, 2d20-2 (tier3 missile + ship special) vs 3d12 (tier3 shield) is about on par.

I fixed shields by just limiting their recharge to the end of each turn, not end of each shot.

I wouldn't say it's polished, or playtested at all, but if you don't mind houserules and randomness, it can be playable.

Also, get rid of the stupid loving vp for rolling a 20.

Edit: This isn't a glowing review or defense of the game. Just saying it's playable with lots of houserules to fix the various broken things, if you don't mind dicing for literally everything.

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 21, 2015

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I just went to look up the Fief rules on BGG, and apparently the publishers won't post the rules in any language on pdf? Something about "Then people will use their old version with the new rules and we'll lose money!" as well as "Certain languages are more expensive, and they'll just buy the cheaper language versions with a digital download of their language's rules!" At least, that's the gist I got from the bgg forums.

How can there be no rules posted for a new game in 2015.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I'm a fan of replacing baggies with tuckboxes when they're available on BGG.

Print them out on 110# paper, cut, fold, double sided tape and you're done. They take some time, but look nicer than baggies.

Eclipse!

Kemet!

Also, that Fief game's expansions, metal coins and plastic buildings can still be bought from the publisher's website. They look good, but are rather expensive. Any idea what the expansions really add to the base game in Fief?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I've played Epic Spell Wars a bunch. It's a light game that can go on a long time if you let it. Like said before, really just quit once you're all bored, don't force yourself to play until someone 'wins'.

It's lighthearted fun with zany voices. If your group is serious and takes forever to choose their cards, it can be boring. Play it for wacky spell names, effects and voices, not for a heavy tactical strategic experience.

Just played it again last night with my nephews, 12, 15 and 17. They all loved it, though after three rounds we moved on to other things.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

thespaceinvader posted:

Basically, rebuild it from the ground up, keeping the map and the minis, and maybe some of the cards.

You're mostly describing Xia as well, that other new fly-around-in-space game.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Poison Mushroom posted:

It really says something when "vastly improved Firefly game" is still kinda poo poo.

I meant that Xia too needed an overhaul to make it better. The pieces, tiles and figures are all nice, it's just the rules are rather unbalanced in many ways, and frustrating in others.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Played Castles of Burgundy for the first time, two players with my wife. There was no excitement, joy, frustration or any feelings besides boredom whatsoever during the game, no strategy beyond 'get mines early', no planning from round to round, and just felt unexcited and uninspired the whole time. At the end, I asked what she thought. She basically said what I was thinking, saying it was too much work for such a simple game. There wasn't any interaction between players, so we just felt like we were playing a solitaire game together. Too many counters to set up, put away and dish out round after round. 15 minutes to set it up and put it away isn't really fun when the whole game takes just 45 minutes.

Also, having to consult the book to see what half the weird yellow tiles did was annoying.

D+, would rather not play again.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Some Numbers posted:

It's Yahtzee with a coat of Lovecraft colored paint.

I played it once. The items are just various ways of rerolling, or counting rolls in different ways.

It's just "Roll X dice, match Y symbols, roll again and get the next set, yay you purged the world of evil."

It's yahtzee with icons, where you choose which sets to go for before you roll instead of after.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

The End posted:

Eclipse is god tier. Romolo O Remo is also really good.

Came to recommend Eclipse. It's in space, but fills the same niche as things like Clash of Cultures. Which is why I can't buy CoC. I love Eclipse too much to get a game that would be played instead of it.

The expansion for Eclipse (Rise of the Ancients) should be used, it adds a ton of new techs, sectors, races and discoveries seamlessly. I wish all expansions were like it.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Anybody have any experience with Fief 1429?

No, but I have a preorder for it from CSI. Read a lot about it, and it sounds great. Supposed to ship this month sometime.

Speaking of... here's a bit of weirdness. Got a preorder through them, for Fief (49.99), Takenoko ($33.99), Kill the Overlord (13.49) and two packs of sleeves (4.98 total).

102.45 subtotal, minus 2.5% means 99.89 total, still with free shipping.

I just got a partial refund on this through paypal of 57.50 for this order, with no note attached, no email from them, all the items are still available to order from the site, my order is still processing and none of the items combined add up to 57.50.

Any ideas? I'll wait until tomorrow to see if they send an email, but this is odd.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

FISHMANPET posted:

Not sure if you can get them on their own anymore, but the Viticulture metal coins are pretty good, come in 1, 2, and 5 "Lira" increments. Lira is a pretty generic currency symbol so it sort of looks like dollars and pounds and Euros all at the same time, which is nice.

I just got these last week from Meeplesource. 72 coins for $22. 36 copper 1's, 24 silver 2's, 12 gold 5's. They're big, weighty and nice, though they all have the same design on them which is a minus.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

bowmore posted:

Played Galaxy Trucker for the first time last night and found it really easy

Turns out we didn't know you lose if you get lapped, run out of people or have no engines on open space, and that there are supposed to be secret cards

Running out of people is the main way people die early on. Slavers can wipe out a ship quick. I've never seen a ship lapped yet, but those times when you lose your engines and cross your fingers for no more open spaces... the game is really fun and tense at times.

Secret cards are an optional thing from the first expansion. I've yet to use them because my other players already die on their own, we haven't had to up the difficulty much yet. Aside from a single Rough Roads card each game that is :)

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Poison Mushroom posted:

Not quite! 3/4s of the deck is public when you're building your ships, but the last fourth is put in after the build phase, so you can never be completely prepared for what the game's going to throw at you.

I thought he was talking about the extra cards from the expansion, where each player gets 4 cards, and chooses one to mix into the deck each round to mess with everyone else.

Right, three of the event stacks are viewable, the 4th isn't though. I didn't realize he meant those cards.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Jedit posted:

Orleans, Five Tribes and Deus are the only games on that list that people will maybe be talking about in five years.

Oh, and Xia, but they'll be saying how loving terrible it is.

Luckily Xia is on like 5 of the lists, so it's got hope of winning! Most Innovative, definitely!

(The designer is a friendly guy that encouraged people from the KS to visit BGG a lot, so polls have a bit of backing from them)

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Just spend the last hour reading the rules, and watching that sample video you posted BL. Why did it cut off, I wanted to see the Final Attack!

That video really helped show what it's like, though if I played it, it would be with 4 or 5 people. Would be nice to see a larger group have a go.

Liked it on Facebook, commented on one of the posts for it somewhere on BGG... Should encourage us goons to post threads and such about it on its BGG forum, and post images of it and such. Isn't that how it gets in "The Hotness" bar on the left?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm sort of surprised people keep saying that. When I watch these videos I find them fairly impenetrable, given that it's impossible to see what's going on beyond "people are fiddling with cards and chips and sometimes they get excited". Maybe I'm the only one who hasn't already memorized all the components.

After reading the book twice over and watching the video, I can follow it, but of course since we can't see exactly what cards they're using, I'm not getting every single bit of their strategy. Drive keys are used to play cards from your hand, willpower gets the keys back into your hand so you can get more out later, green tokens turn systems on, and they provide their icons (if needs are met), which is what they're fiddling with at the top with the tokens on the number line.

Each attack needs a certain icon to stop it, so they're just basically yelling out what they need to get the icon to stop it, and powering the systems needed.

Though, a slow-mo version that's more top down so we can actually see what the cards are, and what the thoughts are, would be nice. As is, it's the creator and a friend that obviously played it a million times playing it at a breakneck pace without explaining anything, so it's understandably hard to follow.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Jedit posted:

It is.

BL, if you think you're going to be getting this much feedback about your game throughout the project it might be worth starting its own thread.

On BGG even, get that Hotness going.

Then again, the PnP is supposed to be a goon secret for now it seems.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

CodfishCartographer posted:

So I picked up Kemet at my local store's sale yesterday, and quick question on the rules: the rulebook specifies that two creatures (owned by the same player) can't be within the same location - can they move through locations with a friendly creature, though? So long as they don't end movement on that space, of course.

Also, any general tips for rules or playing that we should know about before we dive in?

The faq on BGG says:
Can a troop with a creature pass through a friendly space containing another creature?
No. There can never be more than one friendly creature in a space.

So, not even passing through is fair game apparently.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Broken Loose posted:

Events function like any Attack card. Put a Chip on them when they are Held off (which happens automatically when you resolve them, and resolving all Attacks is mandatory), flip them facedown during Regeneration, flip them faceup during the next Impact's Regeneration, goto 10.

That is one question I had too. The book says in one part that they're treated like attacks, but then another part of the book doesn't mention them when talking about what to do at the end of the round. Watching the gameplay video again helped show, but the book was a little confusing on that.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bubble-T posted:

Mage Knight is the only good game in your poem

It's not quite a haiku, but it makes about as much sense as your average one.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

dishwasherlove posted:

We moved it and he had no ships at home and we considered his home system neutron bombed but I guess if combat wasn't till turn 2 it shouldn't have bombed till then? Good to know.

That's right. It moves at the end of the turn, post-combat. So whichever place is getting invaded has a chance to defend itself. Hives aren't that scary because of that, and they have a ton of planets.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Just joined the BGG group on Facebook, because it popped up in the right panel. It's a real time stream of bad opinions right in my browser!

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Surprised to see Eclipse, Mage Knight and Terra Mystica only having 500-1500 votes apparently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Whoever recommended those little square binder sheets for holding Kemet power tiles is my hero.

Huh? Link? Sounds interesting.

I made tuckboxes for Kemet, because I like tuckboxes. And Kemet. Might have posted the pics before, whatever.

And in the box:

110# paper printed at a Staples for like a buck a sheet. Also printed out the cheatsheets for what all the powers and divine inspiration cards for everyone to use. Made the game easy enough to understand that my 12 year old nephew actually did fairly well at it.