Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Speaking of, I got Colonial Twilight in the mail. Slowly working through the rulebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I find it criminal when games with little standie-screens to hide your hand or whatever don't just automatically print a player aid on the back of them. Our family played a shitload of Modern Art over Christmas and having to pass the rulebook around to remind ourselves of what each auction was seemed bad when it could just be printed right there for me to look at.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

We have the CMON edition, which doesn't.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

M a x posted:

The only digital Mahjong worth playing is Judgment because nothing else has cut scenes like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST_cGG2uInc

I legit got into the Yakuza games just so I could have a nice Mahjong simulation.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Snooze Cruise posted:

i am terminally online and love social deduction, i do not understand the statement

Same

Max
Nov 30, 2002

There’s always one player in the game who is resource starved and probably having a poo poo time for the entirety of the game.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Jordan Draper just released his own mod for Tsukiji Market on TTS.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I like Watergate a lot, our games at home usually end with one person winning just a hair before the other player would have.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I hate playing feast on TTS, personally. Too many small components to track.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Railroad ink is good and they have a kickstarter going for the new editions they are making.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Panzeh posted:

I'm waiting for 1817/USA to get a kickstarter. 18USA is the bomb.

1817 won't get a kickstarter, since it was produced in the same batch as 18Ches, at least not any time soon. AAG still has a bunch available to buy right this second, and I can tell you that given the components of 18Ches, it's going to be really good quality.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

18Ches is currently available to play on 18xx.games with permission from the designer, and is a very good entrypoint now for 18XX games of the 1830 style.

Edit: Beaten by Spiggy.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

A note for anyone looking to buy a physical copy of an 18XX game, 18Ches comes with paper money but all other published 18XX games require you to have poker chips, which are superior in every way to paper money anyway.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

CommonShore posted:

Don't play with the paper money

True, anything that you can grab off a shelf will maybe have money, but from experience, paper money for these games is bad. Poker chips stack on charters a lot better.

Are just go all the way and use a computer spreadsheet and remove any need for physical money I suppose.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

There's a pretty good repository of spreadsheets that automate things pretty well, I've gotten used to it. It's helpful to see at a glance what your actual total valuation is based on the value of your stocks.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

PMush Perfect posted:

FCM is a little crunchy for an entry-level game. It's also very prone to games ending with Bad Feels for the losing side.

Yes, FCM is incredibly vicious. There is an online version if you want to experience that. http://play.boardgamecore.net/

(With blessings from Splotter)

Max fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 15, 2020

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Feast is good at two or three players. The play time goes up by a lot at four, so five seems bad to me.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

FulsomFrank posted:

Has anyone taken a crack at Imperial Struggle yet that can weigh in? Discriminating Gamer had a good video about it but I'm worried the game almost has too much going on and is losing the fairly simple yet Elegant™ mechanics that made TS so intriguing.

They're still shipping out the P500's, though the Vassal mod is available now.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

FulsomFrank posted:

Ah, thought it was available in the States already. I think the retailers up North are getting it at the end of June.

They focused on international orders first, and are doing the US orders now.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Spiggy posted:

That's about 450 dollars for effectively custom stickers, and that's being generous with buying the extra sleeves and shipping costs. AAG it's getting good games but should reevaluate their chip business.

To be clear, he's selling those at cost. I don't think anyone wanted them.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Also today is the last 24 hours on the 1822 kickstarter that AAG is running. It's going to get the same quality treatment that 18Ches got.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Sekigahara is a solid two player game that isn't too crunchy and also if you get it for free you are denying the designer money, maybe.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

CaptainApathyUK posted:

When Chad Jensen died and they received a load of money from "a benefactor" to put all the Combat Commander stuff back in print without waiting, would that have been Calkins?

I mean, that kind of outlay would have been pennies to him, but at the same time nobody becomes a billionaire by giving away money.

Yeah it was Calkins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Did a run through of the playbook scenario for Imperial Struggle. The game looks daunting but after running through it and seeing how scoring works it isn't so bad.