Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Tash-Kalar is excellent for 4 players if you play the partnership mode. Easily one of the best board game experiences out there.

Lunsku posted:

I started checking Catan's direct contemporaries from 1995 just for shits and giggles, mostly to see how the other games from that time stand up, and was really surprised to see El Grande there on the list. Mentally I had placed it somewhere closer to the turn of the century with the big flood of solid euros.

Man I could play some El Grande right now.

That's true, it's held up better than Catan too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

al-azad posted:

I can't stop thinking about loving peaches and clams.

New thread title

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Talas posted:

One did 103 and the other did 101, they never fought once while I made the mistake of attacking the other newbie early for an encounter token, I was Polania. I didn't expect she would put all her power into that fight but she did and I lost. I guess that was it for us.

Unless you were completely unaware that combat was impactful in the game it seems odd to question why this resulted in you and her losing hard.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I really like All Creatures Big And Small, though I'm a bit odd in that the only big Rosenberg game I really enjoy is Le Havre.

ACBAS is about as much pure worker placement as I can typically stand in a neat little package, I'd rather play a few games of it than one game of Agricola.
You definitely need one of the building expansions after playing it a bit though, lets you do a variable setup every game.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know Mage Knight is amazing when people sandwich it in to a list of really bad co-ops.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Except BGG both lists a definition similar to the one you found on wikipedia but ALSO lists backgammon as an abstract strategy game.

You sure didn't make it up, but it's also not objectively correct, it's subjective like ameritrash and poo poo like that.

I hate to agree with Rutibex but BGG's categorisation system only has 8 options and are as much about broadly classifying the audience as about the characteristics of the game (which is why 3 of the categories are "Family", "Children" and "Party"). Poker is listed as a strategy game, Blackjack a party game.

There's an argument for the term "Abstract" applying broadly to games with little theme but Rutibex said that Backgammon is not an Abstract Strategy game, which is IMO correct - it's a far more specific term.

Backgammon is better classified as a race game or game of chance (gambling game). I'd describe games like Caylus, Pathwork or even Terra Mystica as abstract strategy games before Backgammon, but then I don't see theme as that important to the classification - Chess with Lord of the Rings themed pieces is still Chess, Backgammon without dice is not Backgammon.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

http://imgur.com/gallery/Svj6E

Riot Games is making a board game. SUSD posted it on their site and then took it down, apparently Quinns was a consultant of some sort of the project.
I'm not holding my breath for quality gameplay here but it looks pretty.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Ojetor posted:

Here's an article that talks a bit about Quinns' consultancy. He was apparently the one to suggest adding a legacy campaign and modular boards, making them delay the release for over a year and a half to add those things.

Legacy is whatever but modular boards are such an obvious and good idea I'm kind of surprised they didn't have them already.

Also this quote is loving amazing:

quote:

"We had Tom come out first," Cantrell said. "At the end he said, ‘I don’t know why you’re worried. I think you’ve got a great game!’ We were doing high-fives. And I remember somebody even asking, ‘Well, do we still even want Quintin to come out?’ But he already had his flight, so we might as well.

"Quintin came and he played it, and he said, ‘I’ll be honest. I loved it. ... But frankly I don’t think I’d ever play it again.’" Smith declined to be interviewed for this article.

itsjustfun.gif

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I don't think I've ever soured on a game as fast as Power Grid when the last round hit. There's lots of clever stuff in it but that last turn is SO unsatisfying and vulnerable to kingmaking.

Broom Service has a similar problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Mechs vs Minions looks like it might actually be good, and there's not many other programming co-op games out there. There's an interview with the lead [here](http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/19/12949698/league-of-legends-board-game-mechs-vs-minions-launch-date-price), guy owns 1000+ board games. One of the designers on Reddit confirmed that they play and love Space Alert, on the whole I think their team actually knows what they're doing.

I also think Quinn's "It's great but you won't hear that from me!" thing is fair enough given that it's obviously the kind of thing he'd love but his consultation work was on the level of "spend another 18 months redesigning it".