Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

It would tickle me if they made all the pieces solid-colored plastic miniatures of bull-men and pot-people, and found a way to stick some dials on the board as score trackers.

But I hope they don't because I might actually want to own T&E some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Rexides posted:

Ok, I'll bite. What's wrong with Pandemic?
Mostly quarterbacking and getting outclassed in excitement by Space Alert.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Myrmidongs posted:

Someone make me some suggestions that are in the vein of Castles of Burgundy.
What do you like about Castles of Burgundy? Dice-related stuff, passive aggression, building an estate on your game board?

Might give Troyes a look if you want more dice-placement.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Myrmidongs posted:

Building the estate, and passive aggression are mostly what I'm looking for. I've played agricola but it kind of put me to sleep. I'm mostly just a bit worried there isn't enough aggression in Burgundy.
You should check out Dungeon Lords and maybe Archipelago.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I assumed CGE were going to start reprinting stuff like Dungeon Lords and Petz themselves next year, since they had the falling out with Z-Man.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

echoMateria posted:

I wonder if anyone even saw my Spyfall question between the oh so useful Munchkin flood. Someone should open a Munchkin thread so we can send people there to discuss its merits and flaws endlessly...
I'm 100% in favor of the Munchkin/fun argument ghetto.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

The least Indie Boards & Cards could have done was named them 'M3rl1n.'

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

jivjov posted:

I'm not familiar with the game in question, but is a slight color variance going to really be that noticeable in play? I mean, if you've got someone at your table whose carefully inspecting every card, sure it'll get caught, but if you're just sitting down with non-rear end in a top hat players...
Yes.

And the difference is probably more evident in real life than in the picture.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

T-Bone posted:

What's the best Dominion expansion to get if/when we like it and want to move to 5+ players. Intrigue?
Definitely get Intrigue, but don't play 5+, it's a mess and takes too way long.

Intrigue will give you an extra set of treasures and victory cards, though, so you can split games off and play simultaneously.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Dungeon Petz also has a nice little hidden auction mechanic to it.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

T-Bone posted:

What's the reprint cycle on something like Dungeon Lords -- I know they just did an anniversary kickstarter, but will the actual game be like impossible to find at a decent price for a while?
You can pre-order it on CSI for $44 currently.

Broken Loose posted:

gently caress poo poo GUYS WHY THE gently caress ISN'T EVERYBODY EXPLODING ABOUT THIS??

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/...aid=17aPfDgMspI

:frogsiren: :siren: PICTOMANIA PREORDERS ARE LIVE, GAME COMES OUT IN MARCH :siren: :frogsiren:
Thank Christ, that only took, what, three or four years?

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Got to bring out old pal Space Alert tonight after too long an absence and taught three newbies the whole thing, who were all into it by the time we beat our first standard mission. Game's too good, gimme five people every game night.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Azran posted:

While we're on the topic, what are the best deckbuilding games out there right now? I've never played Dominion, but I have played Ascension and Star Realms I think it was called. I've heard about the complaints levered towards Ascension, but the main thing keeping me away from Dominion is the theme.

Broken Loose posted:

gently caress theme. Play Dominion. You're welcome.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

jivjov posted:

I mean...I know its the core cards that are going to get the most handling...but everything else is going to get picked up from time to time, and (critically) shuffled every couple minutes. Thankfully nobody in my group is dumb enough to riffle and bridge shuffle my games...but I would think that everything is gonna start picking up pretty substantial edge wear, and then some wonky corners from being peeled up off the table.
I've had Dominion and most of the expansions for quite some time, getting pretty regular play, and the base victory cards and treasures are still the only cards showing any sort of wear.

Bobby The Rookie fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 12, 2015

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

What the gently caress just happened in this thread?
TheCosmicMuffet has an alt, I guess?

S.J. posted:

Cosmic Muffet? Is that you? You need to see a loving doctor, man.
Oh come on!

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Azran posted:

Hey guys, for a 10 player game of Resistance, which roles should we avoid/not use because they aren't fun?
Percival and Morgana (or whatever the Resistance equivalents are) are undoubtedly great at that number, as well as Mordred- Lady of the Lake is basically required if you're playing above 8. I probably wouldn't use any of the other ones at that number, maybe Oberon if you guys feel like making the game ridiculous.

Can't speak of the new modules, unfortunately.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

People should just get Caylus and then swap out the pieces with Game of Thrones miniatures or something and make up a bunch of 'thematic' rules so they'll be able to play a cool game.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

"Oh no, watch out, Tyrion is moving the provost- er, I mean white walker in front of Littlefinger's whorehouse!"

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

S.J.'s runaround is basically what happened to me when I got my copy of Dominion Dark Ages from CSI, where 1/3rd of the set was mistakenly repeated and missing the 1/3rd it replaced. CSI refused a return or exchange and told me I had to take it up with Rio Grande Games, who luckily were cooperative and sent me the right cards.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Broken Loose posted:

sigh

I can't even muster the words, really. Nothing can appropriate express my despondence that I will never reach a level of success as some shithead who scribbles clickbait of fat people rolling in poo poo and screaming.
I'd say something inspirational about dignity, self respect, and a duty to a higher standard, but we'd pretty much all pick the money in a second if we'd done it first.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

The End posted:

The little bean people fleeing in terror? All the independent passion projects on kickstarter being bulldozed by this cynical cash grab.
So this is actually a huge prank and all the backers are going to pull their funding out at the last minute, right?

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

How long do games usually take? I'd like to learn Terra Mystica at some point.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

That part of the review always confused me, I've taught Castles of Burgundy to total board game newbies who grasped it easily and enjoyed it as well. Like, they'd certainly played and recommended more taxing and heavier games up to that point, it's really odd.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Broken Loose posted:

None that are out yet. I have a kickstarter for a game called Final Attack! that should hopefully be live by the end of next week. The cat is now officially out of the bag.
The final attack is a cute mechanic, sounds like a blast. I mean, it's no exploding cat game or anything, but it'll be pretty fun, I'd wager.

Is the soundtrack going to be app-based, or are you going to be throwing the tracks on a CD? How many potential combinations for the final attack exist?

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Countblanc posted:

The thing I'm most excited for with BL's kickstarter is watching people come out of the woodwork and be like "wow this is great, but oh man do I hate cartoons from eastern countries"
At least one person is going to say they would have backed it if it had an elder god theme instead.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I'm concerned that those who don't know and love you like we do might have difficulty coming to grips with your sense of humor.

I genuinely laughed.

Broken Loose: I'm assuming the enemy cards will have variable difficulty, ala Space Alert? You say it's not explicitly a hard game so much as it's weird, but could it be modified to crush my balls (weirdly)?

Countblanc posted:

As a more serious comment, I like the idea of playing with dialogue and language in a board game, especially a realtime one. It's difficult to enforce, and requires specific groups, but I think designers see those two issues and instantly shut off instead of accepting them (or trying to solve them in some way) and making such a game anyway. So again, good luck.
Same. Very intriguing stuff, I'm interested in seeing how it all fits together. Looking forward to the campaign.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I'll drop a loving Caylus on the gateway and all the middling games it tries to protect.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Bubble-T posted:

In Archipelago's case you really are supposed to threaten the leader with sinking the game or force them to pay all the crisis poo poo etc.. that's the game's catchup mechanism.
I've actually never played a game of Archipelago where someone who wasn't the Sympathizer was intentionally trying to sink the game, the communal incentive not to lose is enough to keep people playing in the spirit of the game. Though I would love to see somebody strong-arm putting in for the crises like that, like some crazy island mafia.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Megasabin posted:

Dominant species questions. A lot of the reviews I've read mention it is a very swingy chaotic game. In particular people mention that it is common for who is winning to change from turn to turn. Does this affect its strategic depth? Is it possible to actually plan ahead, have a strategy, etc... Does the better player usually win?

Also how many players does the game work best with? I know it goes up to 6. What's realistic though. Are 3 players or 6 players actually fun?
I probably wouldn't play with less than four, with three or fewer I think you have to start controlling multiple species and the game already burns your brain enough controlling just one.

Dominant Species is 'swingy' in the sense that there can be big power plays that shift the tide considerably and net you a lot of points all at once, but it's all pretty cumulative. You're trying to set up those big plays and hinder your direct opponents from doing so simultaneously, you have to be planning in the long term and be able to adapt in the short term if someone manages to subvert your plans. So yeah, it's pretty strategic and the better players tend to dominate.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I'm somehow flabbergasted Tom Vasel is still riding his own moronic misconception about Dungeon Lords' title as genuine criticism, and how vehement and petty he is about it. I don't think Dungeon Lords is even that overrated in the realm of board games, but I could be wrong.

Quinns didn't like Dungeon Lords either.

Broken Loose posted:

Final Attack!
I just slammed the 'pledge' button with a spiteful vengeance on Tom Vasel and his otherkin.

Good luck.

Bobby The Rookie fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 10, 2015

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

zandert33 posted:

I will pray every day that Broken Loose's Kickstarter is running that it will be successful so that a copy can get into Vasal's hands so he can review it, and this thread can have a meltdown.
Looking forward to him trashing the game for being called 'Final Attack' when you only get to do the final attack once per game.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

All right board game thread, what are some good, and if possible inexpensive and easy to transport 2 player board games? Actually I'll expand that to "2 or 3 player" for some flexibility, assume we already have a store copy of Dominion on hand but I'd like some variety rather than "sounds like everyone's upstairs doing whatever the gently caress, time to play Dominion again." I know, I know, it's tradgoon heresy but Dominion gets old after a while.

edit; okay, so tell me about Love Letter then. Or anything really, gently caress it.
Tash-Kalar tossed into a gallon ziplock bag.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I'm gonna draft up your PNP of Final Attack today BrokenLoose, I'll get back with my impressions of the solo play and see if I can get some folks at a meetup to give it a shot on Monday.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

I just won at dungeon lords for the first time ever online. What this makes me realise is what I've been told all along but not wanted to believe - that the all-evil highly aggressive strategy is a really good way to get your head kicked in. Playing conservatively is way more likely to lead to actually winning.

It's a little disappointing D:

Where or what did you use to play it online?

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Is FitL a good 2-player game? I want something well-designed and wargamey to play with my friend who's a fan of Twilight Struggle.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Mega64 posted:

Rules are up for Dominion Adventures, including all the cards in the set.

e: Looks like tokens on piles still work if the pile is empty (and you can place tokens on already-empty piles), which is pretty good to know.
lolling at the peasant card art.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

EvilChameleon posted:

^^^ Should I be getting the currently existing expansion, or will it be being updated, or is there another one coming, or basically tell me all about Tash-Kalar please. :allears:
The latest update on Tash-Kalar is there's a new expansion being playtested which may or may not get published- demon faction which uses crazy hell portals. No real news on any new versions that include the Frost expansion, so just buy that and the CGE version of the game if you want everything current.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Split the difference and stream your reply.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Persona 4's not really my thing but that's pretty rad and more or less fitting, sans the time travel aspect of Traglooper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Magnetic North posted:

Well, I was going to throw your game in the garbage, but there is no physical copy because it didn't get printed.
:lol:
And the DoW poo poo talking finally comes to an explosive head.