Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Bodanarko posted:

Playing tutorial of Imperial Assault now. This learn to play guide and rule reference book make me want to kill myself. Very basic things just go unexplained or dropped into a single sentence in a random section. I’ve been interested in FFG stuff before but based on this it’s going to be a hard pass on everything in the future.

The hilarious thing is that IA came from the era when they were actually starting to get their poo poo together. The predecessor to IA had something like 40 pages of errata for a twenty page rulebook. Teaching first edition descent was a nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Triskelli posted:

Arborec and Nekro Virus.

I can't remember Arborec but Nekro are batting 100% at our table for making whoever takes them sad. They look so cool but in practice it never seems to work out.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

I just picked up Descent 2e on a whim because I heard it was fun with the app. Most of the reviews I'm seeing are pretty negative, weirdly.

I played through the Goblin tutorial mission and it was pretty fun :shrug: What's the goonsensus on it? And especially, on the expansions?

Is it possible to play the overlord version with two people where person plays a hero + the overlord? Or would it be like D&D where the DM just has too much info? It's a shame to let the campaign in the box go to waste.

Basically stick with the co op mode, even if you go to two people. It is far and away the best thing about descent. If you go for expansions, buy only those you need for co op campaigns.

The vs mode fails for a lot of reasons. It isn't super balanced and it leads to lots of "gamey" plays if either player really wants to play to win (players run by monsters without fighting and both players can have incentives to lose the first of two part scenarios or do weird stalling plays). The rules are also very vaguely laid out in general with some very specific edge cases that lead to rules lawyering. It works if people play it like a silly dungeon crawl but crumples the second someone really tries to win.

In Co op you can play goofy or munchkin it up and it holds up really well. I'd call it an A- game with the app and I would walk way from the table rather than play the oppositional mode.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 16, 2019

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
Anyone have any experience with Street Masters? The reviews seem almost overwhelmingly positive, but I ran in to one that raised two issues that had me a little concerned.

One was that the game ended up being pretty easy. Any thoughts on that regard?

The other was that the modular style led to the game breaking down at times. So in some scenarios baddies would lurch towards the heroes only to be pulled right back by the environment deck in an endless loop. I never saw any complaints about this save for in one review and was curious how common it actually is.

Also if anyone who has played it has also tried Spirit Island, any thoughts about one vs the other for a good 4 player co-op? I know SI is absolutely beloved in general, but suspect SM would be an easier sell for my group.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Minus1Minus1 posted:

I’m thinking something like Mansions of Madness, Journeys in Middle Earth, or Imperial Assault might be up out alley.

Anything to watch out for with these? Anything else out there I should be considering?

I'll cast a vote against Journeys in Middle Earth. I had a post about it a while back if you check my history, but the short version is that it's an FFG app game where they botched the design something fierce. The app holds all the meaningful information and the board is this weird basically vestigial thing, which leads to everyone staring at a computer screen. There are also very few interesting decisions to make.

I loved the Descent 2e app though, and from what I understand the Imp Assault app is basically the same thing.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Aramoro posted:

Not a rules blunder but the best one I've ever seen in a game was in a game of Resistance where someone forgot they were a traitor and played it as if they were loyal.

I did better than that. Somehow my brain decided that since I knew who the baddies were, I must be Merlin. I played the whole game as Merlin and sat there at the end terrified I was going to get stabbed when someone said "hang on shouldn't there be one more bad guy?"

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
Edit: I read good

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 6, 2020

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Morpheus posted:

If you play a game in which you build buildings on empty land, the game supports colonialism and so you do hth.

Those of you disposing of your copies of Power Grid because playing it is a celebration of global warming can PM for my address so I can destroy them in an ecologically sound way.

Gimme an hour and I'll write indictments of the top 100 on BGG and we can really get this ball rolling.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Reynold posted:

Cool, cool, now talk about how Zombicide is racist

gently caress off buddy, I want people to send me good games.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Krazyface posted:

Been playing a lot of Through the Ages (Steam version) lately. Man, the combo of Michelangelo, the Sistine Chapel, and a decent church card is just unbeatable.

It's unbeatable until someone figures out how military in age 2 works. Micky turns you into a culture pinata if you aren't careful.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

homullus posted:

Small World was one of my entry points into modern board games. Looks really attractive, easy to learn and teach, a bit of strategy and tactics as you "price" the game's people/descriptor combos and try to force your opponents to put their people into decline suboptimally. Now, I would rather spend an equivalent amount of time in a featureless white room (as long as there is a chair or mattress) than play it.

I feel the same way, but I haven't tried the new versions and I wonder if they've improved things. It just needs a little more depth or to be sped up just a bit. Either one and I think I'd love it. It sounds like they've changed things a little but I don't know if it's enough.

It looks so drat cool though.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Stelas posted:

Hello,

It may be a good time to mention there is a Board Game Thread discord at https://discord.gg/kVwZpaf we are quite chill and relaxed. This is not the TG discord as a whole, this is board game thread specific, but personally speaking if you want to talk about shoes in there that's okay too.

Thanks for posting that. Check GBS if you're wondering why people are sharing discord links and maybe hit up your favorite threads today.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

radlum posted:

If I've enjoyed Descent and Mansions of Madness, would Journeys in Middle-Earth be a good choice? I've been meaning to get a LOTR themed game (besides the LCG) and I've seen it on my FLGS's online catalog.

Nooooooo.

Check my post history in this thread for way too many words on the subject.

Edit: (God there were even more words than I remember)

"Someone asked earlier about FFG's Journeys in Middle Earth and I've finally played enough to give a bit of a review.

I think it's a swing and a miss.

For those that don't know, it's another FFG app-driven adventure game. While the pieces make it look like Descent 3.0 it's actually much more of an adventure game than a dungeon crawler. 90% of the game is going to be wandering around and interacting with tokens on the board and combat is more of a speed bump than the heart of the game.

The fundamental mechanic is a deck each character gets that's built from basic cards, class cards and character cards (So Legolas the Hunter gets a slightly different deck from Legolas the Burglar which is very different from Bilbo the Guardian) and the deck slowly expands as your character gets experience. The deck is made of tiny cards, some of which have success markers on them or inspiration markers which can become success cards if you spend a limited resource to make them so. Every time you interact with anything on the board you'll test a skill and flip that many cards over looking for successes. So if Legolas tests agility, he'll flip 4 cards. If he tests his spirit he might only flip two. Some tests might need only one success while others will tally your successes in the app and give you different results depending on how you do. Both attacking and defending are tests just like anything else.

The twist on all of this is that each turn you get to look at 2-3 cards from your deck, put one face down in front of you and put the rest on the top or bottom of your deck as you choose. So you get to stack your deck a little bit, and the cards you pull out grant you abilities like stronger attacks, boosts on tests or extra moves. In theory this allows you to prune your deck as well and offers some choices. If you prepare that strong card with a success marker on it, you'll get a cool ability but are less likely to succeed at the things you do. If you prepare the card without a success icon you get better at every thing you test at, but will have a pretty mediocre boost. It sounds interesting on paper and a little Gloomhaveny.

Unfortunately it doesn't live up to its potential.

For one, the app is utterly dominant. And yes, I know people have been whining since the Descent app came out that they should just be playing a computer game, but at least Descent and Imperial Assault had a board with tactical elements and things to track. When I played those games, everyone looked at the board trying to figure out their plans and the app just ran the baddies. Those games worked because everything people needed to know was on the board. In this game the board is nearly pointless. There are markers on the board to tell you where] you can interact with things, but there's no indication of what they mean. To get hints as to what skills might be needed or what they represent, you have to click on the tokens on the app. If you want to know what the monsters do you have to check the app. Want to know a monster's health? Check the app. Want to attack a monster? Click on the app. The board and the figures feel like a nifty illustration of the real game, which is on a computer. App-driven Descent, for all its faults, never felt like that. This is a game where every player is going to spend all their time staring at the computer screen because the information you need to play the game is not displayed on the board.

The next problem is that while the deck mechanic described above sounds like it would add an element of player agency that would beat the old "roll dice and see what happens" FFG approach,, there just isn't actually much agency. You get to see 2 cards of your 15 card deck a turn and it's usually obvious which one you should prepare and whether the other one should go on the top or bottom of your deck. It's almost always a choice without an actual choice. After that you're just flipping cards from a deck, and while it sounds like you could manipulate that deck by preparing certain types of cards, it takes several turns to have any impact on the composition of your deck and as mentioned above, you don't really get all that much agency regarding what you're preparing. So what sounds like a cool mechanic just ends up being another random number generator. It's very clear they took some inspiration from Gloomhaven, but unfortunately that inspiration seems to have been "everyone needs a deck of cards."

Add to that it's an adventure game with FFG's usual writing quality. So if you thought world building and storytelling might give it a boost, think again. If Gloomhaven's storytelling was a C-, this a D.

So really, I'm not sure I'd recommend it to anyone. People looking for an adventure are going to be disappointed by the writing and Gloomhaven/Descent players are going to be disappointed by the lack of agency or interesting combat. Old school board gamers are going to hate the app being the center of the game. It isn't so terrible it isn't worth playing and I'll certainly finish the campaign but I'll probably sell my copy after that.

It's a shame because there's a cool idea here with apps intersecting with board games, but I much preferred the style of limited app involvement a la Descent or Imperial Assault than I do this approach."

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 9, 2020

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

Can someone tell me anything about the Massive Darkness 2 campaign?

The game looks interesting, but one of the chief complaints I have about a game like Gloomhaven is the amount of administrative overhead the game has (get all the minis, put them in stands, shuffle six different decks, the decks, put the card in the little sleeve, etc). Is this going to have a similar overhead?

The first Massive Darkness was by most accounts pretty terrible and I'm surprised it's getting a sequel. They had giant stacks of them at multiple stores around here for forever.

It doesn't mean they haven't changed things for the better, but the general rule for CMON games is you're paying for miniatures for your D&D campaign or frostgrave or wharever. There will be a game attached, but it probably has a 1/4 chance of being any fun.

Edit: Ask about it in the Kickstarter thread. Plenty of folks there have been happy and or burned by CMON and can give you their views.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Mayveena posted:

Geezus folks, they aren’t going to keel over after one play of Catan. OP, be nice and play what she wants to play. You’ll probably enjoy your first plays even.

No, the lessers must be firmly instructed in the hobby or they'll do it wrong.

Yes my gaming groups keep ghosting me, how did you know?

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

A+ Presentation, D+ Gameplay

Nailed it. We loved the pieces and the rulebook was very 90s fantasy, but we never made it past the second scenario because it was just so interminably dull. Throw a rock at a game store and you'll hit two better dungeon crawlers.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Sure, but question for you, simple:

How many of those don't use modular dungeon tiles? That's a big deal for me.

Altar Quest (which I don't think is actually out yet).

Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion.

Maybe Folklore the Affliction if you stretch your definition a bit.

Uh... That's all I've got. Basically everyone loves modular tiles these days, sorry.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Crackbone posted:

That’s a pretty huge jump in complexity.

Yeah, I like Terra Mystica but it's incredibly painful to learn and teach and isn't helped by having multiple factions being huge traps. If you're gonna play a game with Catan like pieces to draw people into the hobby, gotta vote for Concordia.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

armorer posted:

Oh I was just posting it for the question above about whether or not it was a crapload of minis to justify their $175 asking price.

Not remotely. It has something like fifty little dudes. For comparison, CMON games tend to run $1/mini with some huge stuff thrown in. Even Games Workshop WH Quest games offer a better minis:dollars ratio. Let the mind recoil in horror from that idea.

This looks incomprehensibly poorly thought out.

It's also ferociously ugly. I was one hundred percent on board with this but the reveal is basically an ad for gloomhaven.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 23, 2020

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Mayveena posted:

Exactly. Some countries are smarter than others and don’t have the issues we have in the US.

Edit: Also I think we can assume people here are adults and don’t need to be talked down to. Provide a link if you just can’t help yourself but the judging has no place here in my opinion.

Eh, America would be in much better shape if our approach to a pandemic wasn't "hey let's not offend or inconvenience anyone." We're basically a walking example of how people can't remotely be trusted to be responsible adults.

If they're gaming in a responsible country, that's totally cool. If they're doing that in Wisconsin or whatever...

A bunch of us in this thread work in health care and anything that means one less admission is cool by me.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

What's the best version of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective to start with?

The original one is pretty good actually. There's one awful case where it isn't clear if you're supposed to believe in hypnotism or not (you are), but my wife and I have really enjoyed it.

And in regards to the negative review, they really aren't games in the usual sense. I think we checked our score on the first case and never did so again. I'm sure you could make an investigative game with stronger mechanisms, but really the fun is arguing over which leads to follow up on and having to rethink the case as things pop up that throw you for a loop. There's a lot of cool atmosphere and great components.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Terminally Bored posted:

Just scored a really cheap copy of Talon w/ Talon 1000 expansion. :stoked:

If you want to post a write up after you get to play it, I'd love to hear your thoughts. It looks like the kind of thing that would either be amazing or so insanely fiddly as to be maddening and I can't figure out which.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Codenames Duet for 2P coop.

This is phenomenal and the best version of codenames. You will kinda hate your partner though.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

spiderbot posted:

I'm looking to get a scenario/ story type game that I can learn with my partner and hopefully play with a few more friends once we're out of lockdown! I'd like something on a tactical/ skirmish scale with miniatures that are interesting to paint. Not Gloomhaven, as one of my friends already has that. At the moment I'm looking at either Conan or Mice and Mystics, is there anything else I should be looking at?

Imperial Assault if you're one of the eight people on the planet left who aren't sick of star wars. Just either play it co-op with the app or understand that the role of the bad guy is to lose in an entertaining manner rather than game the system to crush the players.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

jarofpiss posted:

going through the contents hopefully no red flags pop up...

...oh there it is lol

That's an amazing find. I would love to sit down with whoever felt 40k needed more bondage gear and nazi imagery.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Look Sir Droids posted:

I pulled the trigger on Jaws of the Lion. Spirit Island a close second, but I think it would be a harder sell to my group.

I went to Barnes & Noble to peruse what was in store. They had a JotL box, so I got to lay hands on it. They also had a Lord of the Rings game. Is it any good? Box said it requires an app, which is borderline hard no for me.

Avoid the LoTR game unless you want to spend 80% of your board game session staring at a computer screen. It's bad in general, and if you dislike apps, its absolutely awful.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
Our experience was that the drunkest person was the best captain because mostly they just need to be loud and decisive. A drunk engineer will kill the whole team, the radar operator requires concentration and first mates have to be attentive to everything. Having wasted people steering the ships is just one more minigame for the other players.

I love captain sonar. It's hilarious chaos and losing is as fun as winning.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
Did anyone ever get a chance to play the Vampire the Masquerade Vendetta card game? It kickstarted a while back but releases soon and I think it had online versions available to try.

Any thoughts?

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

!Klams posted:

Oh wow, ok, that's much less than I was expecting, that's great!

From the reviews I've seen, it sounds like it can actually be quite chill, in as much as, being nice to each other is a totally valid strategy, and you don't HAVE to go all Gordon Gekko on each other? Would that be fair to say?

My group, as I've mentioned, is terminally scared of a lot of things, mostly any kind of pressure. I think if the only pressure is each other though, I think they'll be ok, because they'll just take deep breaths together.

What do you reckon, if they bounced off Space Alert and Captain Sonar making GBS threads their pants and almost crying, could they deal with this? I'm leaning more towards yes, but it would be tough to drop another 40 quid on a game that I play once, LOVE, and then never get to play again because they're all off having a cup of tea and a lie down.

It sounds like it may not be a great fit to be honest. Sidereal is great, but it's a high pressure frenzy.

I love it, but it delights in providing you with information overload and then forcing you to quickly make decisions because spending the time making one perfectly equitable trade means everyone else got to make 3 non-equitable but profitable trades while you were comparing balance sheets.

And one of my friends cannot loving handle this. Dude loves his euro cube/VP optimizing, and watching cubes fly around the table faster than he can process kills him. He can handle Captain Sonar and Space Alert with ease, but Sidereal breaks his brain. Another friend finds it overwhelming but tolerable and my two shouty friends think it's great.

If your group has bounced off of Sonar of all things, I'd pass on Sidereal. Sonar is maybe a 2/10 for stress. Sidereal is a 9/10.

I love it and gave it away because we couldn't play it.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Atillo posted:

Has anyone here heard anything about the "The Witcher: Old World" kickstarter. I'm wary of licenced game with minis front and centre but my wife would love the theme so we'd probably get a lot of play if the game is even half decent.

The usual rule for these things is you back for the miniatures, paint them and use them in whatever indie skirmish wargame or RPG you use that has actual cool gameplay. Assume the game is unplayable garbage unless they do a gloomhaven and release a playable demo.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Magnetic North posted:

Yo, I consider myself to be a card-carrying Leperflesh apologist around these parts, but after backpedaling twice, you still elect to take yet another passive-aggressive swipe? I believe you can be better than that.

If you want "my righteous anger justifies me being a huge rear end in a top hat" posting we have whole subforums for that.

Plenty of people shut down the misinfo perfectly reasonably and well. She's not shilling horse paste or being antivax and we didn't need that raging word salad calling her an abusive lib propagandist. That was weird and bad.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Feeling like the 1 Vs Many component was probably the most interesting thing about Descent and stripping it out in favour for an app was the worst decision.

The app they released for 2nd edition was really solid and made the game co-op. It was minimalist in a way they haven't managed to pull off again and let the core game play remain on the board with all necessary information easily in view of all players.

I feel like every time they iterate on their app games they take all the wrong lessons. I keep saying it doesn't have to suck but drat does FFG insist on providing evidence to the contrary.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So, who does the job of playing a game to determine that the developer isn't living in a bubble and their game is actually fun?

From personal experience, your friend dragoons you into playing his prototype over and over.

It is kinda fun to play a game explicitly to break it but I wouldn't want it to be my full time job.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
I vote for Cthulhu Death May Die, but understand it's nothing like the others. It's a dungeon crawler that answers the question of what would happen if Rasputin teamed up with Indiana Jones to fight Hastur and treats that with all the gravitas necessary.

It's basically a Cthulhu game for people who are sick of Cthulhu games.

It's also shockingly sound mechanically both for CMOM and for Cthulhu games.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

Are there any variants that can smooth the beginning out? Like, if you're adjacent to five ancient ships after your second turn you can delete one, or something?

The solution is actually in the rules - you do not have to place a tile you draw. You can chuck it.

New players never do it because they think they're wasting an explore action, but throwing down a bad tile and putting a token on it is way, way worse than fishing for what you need. You often need to throw down the first tier 1 tile you draw to prevent getting locked out of the center, but your tier 2 tile is placed so that you can easily take a few shots at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Llyranor posted:

Euro designers treat other religions like it's Smash Bros

Let's be honest, Smash Bros: World Religions would be absolutely amazing to play.