Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
So, Google Now is being kind of a dick. Recently I moved house. In Google Maps, I was able to edit my 'Home' address, and it accepted the new address fine. When I say 'navigate home' to Google Now, it correctly navigates to my new place. However, also in Google Now, I constantly have a 'x minutes to Home' card, but showing directions to my *old* house, and underneath the prompt 'Set this place as home for travel info?' and the options 'Set' or 'Edit'. If I choose 'Edit', I get a small dialogue pop up to edit it, with my old address pre-filled. In that screen, you have to type your new address, and as you do, it populates a list below of possible matches. My new address doesn't show up in that list, so I can't choose it, and so I'm stuck with Google Now thinking my old address is my home address, even though Google Maps correctly knows my new home address.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Also, is this the right Android thread for this question or is there a better one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
So, recently the Google Search bar on my home screen (on a OnePlus One) has turned into a mini preview of one of the Now cards instead of the little search box looking thing it used to be. Like for instance it's currently showing a mini version of the weather card. That's cool, but when I press it, it either opens Google Now and scrolls down to the weather card, meaning I have to scroll back up again if I want to actually do a search, or, if I press over to the right, it starts a voice search. There doesn't seem to be a way to start a google text search with a single press any more.

Was this a general change to the widget? If so, it's loving stupid. Anyone know how I can get the ability to search from a single press back?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
So. Here's an annoying this. There's two WiFi networks in my office - <companyname> and <companyname>-guest. I use my OnePlus One on <companyname>-guest. It has never been on <companyname>. But every Monday morning when I come into the office I see a little error symbol next to my WiFi icon, and when I go to my network list I see that it has tried to connect to <companyname> and failed, and is showing 'Authentication Problem'. As soon as I long press on it and choose 'forget network', it successfully connects to <companyname>-guest. I had to do this every loving week, and it's driving me mental. Does anyone have any idea why it might be?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Tunga posted:

I'll do this so we can get it out of the way:

But seriously, I would consider that to be a bug in the OS. I have never had an Android phone connect to a network without me having previously connected to it, and Forget will always stop it connecting automatically in future.

Yeah, I guess it could be it. I figured out a pattern now - it's whenever the phone has been restarted that it tries to connect again. I guess I may have tried to connect to that network once, I don't remember, but that doesn't explain why Forget Network doesn't work. I wonder if perhaps it's syncing something from Google account on restart from the one connection attempt I (may have) made?

Require More Fire posted:

Can someone explain Google's 2FA to me?

Like, I get 2FA. I use it on Steam, I use it with Mint.com, and it makes sense. When I log in from an unknown PC/browser, I get a code emailed to me. I enter that in, and then I can sign in from that device normally from now on.

But with Google there's all this talk of multiple codes for each Google service and it's got to go to an app and there's codes to scan and ahhhhhhh. Is there a way to just get one code emailed to me once for all Google services per-device?

I'm not sure what you mean. I've got the Authenticator app installed on my phone, which I had to set up by scanning a QR code one time. I believe you can choose to have codes emailed or SMSed instead if you wish. But there's not multiple codes per service. It generates a code for me that I can use to sign to any service with my Google account.

chippy fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 27, 2016

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
quote != edit

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I just got a Nexus 6P after drowning my OnePlus One. While I was doing all the initial setting up and fiddling about, I swiped into Google Now and at the bottom of my cards it said something like 'know what's going on around you with local info' (or events? something like that). There was a link that said either 'learn more' or 'get started', I forget which, but when I pressed it the message disappeared and nothing happened. I think I probably have it turned on anyway but just in case I don't, does anyone know what settings/features this was referring to?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

enojy posted:

Location services for Google Now, basically. I haven't been on Android for a minute but IIRC it'll add cards to Google Now specific to your location and :tinfoil:search history:tinfoil: -- nearby restaurants/attractions, upcoming local events, where you parked your car, etc. It's basically what makes Google Now really cool and handy, instead of just being a news aggregate of sorts.

I figured it was probably that stuff. I always had it turned on on my old phone, so I presumed the preference would be saved to my google acount. I can't see anything specific in the Google Now settings that says 'suggest stuff based on my location' - does anyone know which settings I need to make sure are on?

It's showing a card for my parking location, so I guess location stuff must be on to at least some extent.

e: Ah don't worry, I got it. It's in 'Customize', not 'Settings'.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
You guys laugh, but, apparently that actually is a thing.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/information/new-phone-app-computes-calories-by-taking-a-picture-of-your-meal.htm

I have no idea how well it works though, and it's iOS only.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Any recommendations for the Nexus 6P? I was going to go with my usual Diztronic TPU (or similar) + tempered glass combo, but the one on the Play Store actually looks quite nice (https://store.google.com/product/adopted_case_n6p). Does anyone have it? My only concern is that it might not be all that protective.

e:Oh, there's this one as well. https://store.google.com/product/adopted_protective_case_n6p And this. https://store.google.com/product/speck_candyshell_grip_case_n6p And it's cheaper. Anyone able to compare them?

chippy fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 6, 2016

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

I have the Diztronic case for my 6P, and it's even nicer than my previous Diztronic cases. The button covers are a lot nicer than previous models (they are partially cut out, I guess it helps them move easier with button presses). The edges on it are more squared off too, which I think gives it a nicer look and feel.

Also, dirt cheap.

Thanks. I actually just went for the Spigen rugged armor + tempered galss in the end as it was even cheaper than the Diztronic and had decent reviews, and carrying this thing around naked is making me nervous, but if I don't like it I'll probably grab a Diztronic, the one I had on my OnePlus One was spot on.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
So here's a question - can removing a tempered glass screen protector damage or strip the original oleophobic coating on a screen? I'm always in 2 minds whether to put one on on a new device. Not wanting to spoil the aesthetics of the device, and the fact that I find they seem to add a bit of reflectivity, but aware of the fact that I've cracked multiple phone screens and the coating on my OnePlus One had a big gouge in it within a week of me owning it. I always end up using new phones 'naked' for a few days but being really nervous about doing so. I'm tempted to just put the case on my Nexus and not worry about the screen protector but I know I'll probably end up scratching it and regretting it within a month.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
The Android Thread: This poo poo Again

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Kytrarewn posted:

Beyond that, even if they are storing wifi passwords server-side, in plain text, that doesn't explain why it would likewise transfer over unsecured wifi access points, nor why it would connect to a similarly-named access point somewhere I have never before been, unless it only imports SSID and key, and not MAC address or any other identifiers.

It's just weird.

I'm pretty sure I've changed devices in the past and had my WiFi passwords restored from my Google account along with other settings, my Nexus 6P didn't do this though so I don't know if it's maybe a manufacturer specific thing.

I've known Android to do dickish annoying stuff with WiFi. For example, at work we have two SSIDs, <company-name> and <company-name>-guest. Everyone used the guest one, but I once tried to connect to <company-name> by accident. From that day on, every time the phone had been restarted, it would try and fail to connect to <company-name> even though it didn't know the credentials, and never had done. I would press on 'Forget network' and it would stop and use the guest network instead, but the next time I restarted it, it would be back to connecting to the wrong one again. Going back a bit further, I had a problem with a different network where every time the phone was restarted I'd get an authentication failure and have to re-enter the password to get it to work. Every time. Presumably it kept reverting to an older, incorrect password.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
What's the best cardboard viewer for the Nexus 6P? Something that works with/can be worn over glasses might be good, but not essential.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Unless I'm getting my models confused, this article says that it does have a notification light, but it can get turned off and there's no setting for it, but there is a widget:

http://www.androidcentral.com/how-fix-moto-g-notification-led

e: No, apparently I am getting my models confused.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
If there's media playing at the time you press then, then the buttons do adjust the volume of that, don't they?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
P.s. One thing I am missing in Marshmallow coming from Cyanogen is the ability to skip tracks when the screen is off by long pressing the volume buttons. Is there any way to make that happen? It's super useful when driving.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Cable posted:

RE: Volume talk

While I'm happy with the behaviour in M (volume buttons controlling media volume while spotify or pocketcasts is open), I would to love to see the ability to control the volume of specific apps, or at least to create groups of apps that would show their own slider in the volume control panel.

I know this is a niche situation but there are games like Downwell which volume you can't turn off in-app, and I can't play it while listening to music/a podcast since the OS regulates the game volume within media volume.

There are some apps that can do this, I haven't tried any of them out so can't vouch for any of them. I presume that they don't add sliders to the volume panel though.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

BoyBlunder posted:

I have a 6p and use Nexus Imprint. I get prompted for my pattern backup easily multiple times a day

Me too, and I don't. Maybe try re-training it?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I could swear I've not even been getting it ever 3 days, but I guess maybe I just haven't noticed it.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

LastInLine posted:

ilkhan is right, it's the network denying you access not a problem with the phone but it should be noted that you cannot receive SMS over data, they must come over the cellular voice connection. It's integral to the protocol that they do and you can't receive them in any other way.

Not 100% true. Other than Fi which has already been mentioned, I'm on EE in the UK which has WiFi calling which is natively supported by Android (I'm guessing this is what Fi uses too?) and when I have it turned on I can get both calls and SMS over it.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Ataxerxes posted:

Thanks. I have heard good things about Oneplus series and a local carrier offers either Oneplus 2 or Oneplus X for a semi-reasonable package deal. Are either any good?

They get a lot of hate in this thread, but I had a OnePlus One for nearly 2 years and was perfectly happy with it until I dropped it down the toilet. The build quality was very good, (other than the fact that the screen had a slight yellow tint at one end, but then so does my Nexus 6P, and apparently a lot of them do, and even if you return it, it's a lottery as to whether you'll get a better one), I never had any issues with CyanogenMod and in fact it has some nice additions over stock Android. The camera wasn't amazing in low light but was otherwise pretty decent, all in all for the price, it was a great phone. So unless the Oneplus X/2 are a significant departure from that I would think that they're probably ok. I have a couple of friends that are still very happy with the OPO's with no plans to get rid of them.

I would say that apparently if you do have to return your phone it can be a real ball ache, though.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yeah my 6P only updated a couple of days ago.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Any recommendation for good power banks (UK)? Looking for as high a capacity as possible, USB C support would be a bonus but not a deal breaker as I can just use a USB-A-C cable. Are Anker good? Is there a better thread I could be asking this on?

e:

I'm looking at these 2. I'd rather get the bigger one but it says it requires 2A minimum to charge, which is a bit annoying, whereas the other one is OK from 1A upwards.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Compact-20...nker+power+bank

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Upgraded-C...nker+power+bank - requires 2A

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I don't know what the situation is like in the US, but I worked in various test-related roles in mobile telecomms for about 10 years, for various mobile manufacturers and carriers (thank gently caress I'm out of that game, I don't miss it in the slightest), starting in fact around the time that MMS was commercially introduced, and it just seems like its been plagued with various issues that whole time. The settings are confusing, people often don't have them set up right unless they got a carrier branded phone, and the interop issues are a nightmare. Different networks have different size limits and cross-network delivery is flakey as gently caress.

For example, I'm on EE, and I CANNOT receive an MMS from someone on O2 (or Giff Gaff, which shares O2). Any other network and it's fine, but if it's from O2 I get the message but the attachment fails to download. The issue has persisted across multiple handset and SIM replacements (without changing the number), from different senders on different phones, the only common factor is that the originating network is O2. I can only assume that it's got something to do with the fact that once upon a time my number belonged to O2 and I ported it away, and something is hosed up with the routing or something. I've spoken to customer services on multiple occasions and all they ever do is talk me through my settings (which are correct) and then admit that they are stumped, or blame the sender.

Obviously this is an edge case but I've encountered multiple examples like this where it just doesn't work as well as it should, so people give up on it. it's just never really been fit for purpose. Something like Whatsapp that just relies on a data connection and a single delivery mechanism just works better. especially given the prices that a lot of networks charge for MMS.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm torn between getting an Anker 26000mAh power bank for £34, or 20000mAh one but with USB-C for £38. I'm trying to work out whether the faster charging speed will be worth the slight extra cost and lower capacity. Does anyone know how big the speed difference will be? Since even the non-USB-C bank can deliver 2.4A on a port, I'm wondering if there will be that big a difference. Since my use case is likely to include quick pit-stops to charge up the phone on camping trips as well as just putting it on to charge overnight, that extra speed might be really useful if it's significantly faster.

I asked before, but is there a power bank thread?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
So, I managed to either leave the torch on on my Nexus 6P all night, or possible turned it on by accident while snoozing my alarm. If the former, could I have done it any damage? I remember years ago the LED on my HTC Desire went a yellowish colour after a while, which I presumed was from using it as a torch. I'm guessing these days there's some sort of built in protection, a heat-sink, or something to turn it off if it gets too hot? I'm looking at it now and I've sorted of convinced myself it looks a bit yellowy, but I'm not sure because it's quite a warm white anyway.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
e: nvm

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah, using your phone instead of a card will always be more awkward. It's like using your phone instead of a light switch. It's not better. There's no benefit.

Dunno man. I use a budgeting tool on my phone to log all my transactions so it's a lot easier for me to have one thing in my hand that I'm going to both pay and log the payment with, than it is to juggle my phone and wallet and whatever I just bought at the checkout. More often than not I just stuff the receipt in my wallet so I can do it later which sometimes leads to me forgetting to do it. So all in all I'd much rather pay with my phone.

Now I just have to figure out how to get my phone to call up the YNAB payment screen after I pay for something with Android Pay. Anyone know how I might be able to do that? Tasker, or ITTT, or something?

chippy fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 25, 2016

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Are band cards with contactless (NFC) payments a thing in the US yet, or not? I'm guessing not since you're only just starting to get chip and PIN.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Re: SIMs/IMEIs, and all that business, I don't know how US networks operate but I can tell you that in the UK this is automated. The first time (or any time) the network sees a new SIM/IMEI combination log onto the the network it can check the device's capabilities in a database, provision the SIM appropriately if needed and send the right settings to the device. There's no need for anyone in a shop to have the phone or enter the IMEI or anything like that.

chippy fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 26, 2016

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Keyser S0ze posted:

I'm using the same one I bought for my MotoXP 15, I'll let my 6p get down to 50% and see if I get the "charging quickly" message. I'm guessing I won't.

I also think I read that the phone has to be below 60% to enable the quick charging right? That's the only time I see it using the google wall chargers.

I'm pretty sure I put mine on at 60-something earlier and it was charging rapidly. This was with an Anker PowerPort.

e: Just got it at 82%.

chippy fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 27, 2016

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
What's the best way to train ok Google voice recognition? Is there any particular intonation that should be used? Should you try and say it three different ways, or the same each time? Mine seems to stop working every few weeks and prompts me to retrain it.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I get this great one where I say OK Google and the phone wakes up, ignores me for a few seconds and then googles the word 'google'.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
It used to be the case that certain commands only worked when it was set to US English (ok Google detection being one of them), I think, but it is no longer.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Those praising/complaining the voice recognition, are you talking about the actual recognition of what you're saying once it's activated, or the 'OK google' activation? Becausefor me, if I can get it activated and listening, it's really great at recognising what I say, and I can speak very naturally. But the actual voice activation is flakey as gently caress. Works about half the time, stops working completely and demands retraining every few weeks. Often activates and then instantly says it doesn't understand but without giving you a chance to say anything (as another goon mentioned). Sometimes doesn't listen to you and just searches the word 'Google' instead. I find all of these problems are worse when you're waking the phone from screen off with you voice. I'm English and have a very neutral accent, before you all start telling me I talk weird.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

MikeJF posted:

This is basically my experience too. It recognises me fine, but then it fucks off and does a google web search for what I wanted most of the time or half-completes what you'd think would be a straightforward instruction.

No, that's not the issue I'm describing. If I can get it listening it generally understands me, and executes my commands. That said, very occasionally I do get the thing where it searches the phrase 'navigate to X' instead of actually navigating there. Weird that it should only happen rarely. My issue is that it either fails to recognise 'OK Google' or, even stranger, does recognise it but then doesn't listen to anything I say afterwards.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Thermopyle posted:

I believe voice activation is hardware-based...at the very least if the screen is off. This is probably greatly dependent upon mic, CPU/voice-recognition-hardware, and environment. This method uses much simpler pattern matching to recognize the key phrase.

In other words, Google isn't involved.

Not that this info helps, really...but it's an explanation.

I'd say that's probably the case for the times when it just doesn't register it all. But there are times when it immediately reacts to the command, beeps, wakes up, and displays the little voice command panel, so the voice activation has clearly worked, but then when you speak you can tell it's not listening because the little bars that react to your voice aren't moving. Then, after a few seconds, it'll either tell you it didn't catch what you said, or it'll search for the word Google. Those are by far the most annoying times, and that appears to be software to me. I could be wrong though.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Endless Mike posted:

Gruber posted about that, and naturally got tons of tweets from people who it worked fine for. I tried and it works for me, so who knows:
https://twitter.com/rt_licious/status/733391277002227712/photo/1

Is the difference here perhaps the fact that they specified 'jersey number' and not just 'number'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yeah it is pretty good at that stuff generally. I frequently use stuff like "OK google, remind me to X at work tomorrow" and the reminder will pop up literally as I walk through the door the next morning.