Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I don't usually agree with RZA, but his complaint is not unreasonable. I use the WugFresh toolkit for a really easy experience installing updates and drivers. Why do I need to rely on the "WugFresh toolkit" for something like that?

Answering the orientation question: just tried it, and the phone can read fingerprints upside down. You can also add more fingers in the settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Notes on 5X battery:

My N5 was 2 years old and had a mediocre battery on day 1. Near the end, I would need to charge it 1-2 times with my high capacity car charger to make it from 6AM-10PM with moderate use.

The 5X is new of course, but yesterday it made it the whole day without being charged, with the same usage pattern. Then I accidentally didn't plug it in all the way (goddamn I want wireless charging). Woke up today, and it was still at 24%.

So, the Doze feature that didn't really do poo poo to my N5 battery seems to really work well on the 5X. Plus the battery is pretty decent anyway.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I loved Qi on my N5.

The fingerprint reader on the 5X is so fast and accurate that it might be a fair trade. Not to mention I was somewhat recently forced into encrypted email/PIN lock, so the fingerprint reader saves me significant time every time I unlock.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Speaking of which. What was the go-to for exchange server sandboxing? Touchdown? I thought there was something better now.

I haven't used it, but IIRC it was Nine.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Obviously this will be one of the typical tech problems: if someone can figure out how to do it so that it's 1) easy, and 2) seamless, we'll all be talking about it. Even though I have a fast laptop with an SSD -- boots up in 7 or 8 seconds -- I reach for my phone for short emails, because it's on instantly. I'm imagining this: I set my phone down next to a monitor and keyboard, and I instantly see my email on the larger screen, and start typing on the full-size keyboard. I can easily imagine doing this *if* it woks easily and seamlessly.

Of course, given how tech goes, maybe somebody invents something better and we skip right over this part.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

First off, as far as I'm aware, iOS/OS X already does this (of course a Mac boots a hell of a lot faster than 7 seconds). Handoff is instant.

Secondly, so does everything else. I start typing an email on my phone and guess what? It's right there in my GMail tab in Chrome. If I'm browsing a website and want to view on the other device, it's already there in the recents list. Google searches I make in one location are at the top of the search bar in the other. Changes made in Google Docs and Sheets are reflected instantly. What things are you wanting to do that don't already do this because I can't think of anything I can't instantly resume on a secondary device.

As far as I can I tell there are more options for doing this than there use cases for wanting to.

I think my point is: why isn't everyone doing it, then? My guess is that it's either not easy/fast enough, or there are hiccups. I'm a typical forums user, insofar as I don't know dick about computers but every grandma thinks I'm a tech wizard, and I don't find myself often starting something on my phone and finishing it on my laptop.

Not to mention, I think we're talking more about real-time instant mirroring on a separate device, rather than what amounts to instant saving of work. While something like Google Docs is awesome, I'm also saying I'd find it useful to have a wireless dock that instantly mirrors my phone so that I could use a keyboard. Maybe we could argue that this is not really a useful feature, but it would eliminate the need for laptops/desktops for a lot of people.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

Sorry, by case I meant the chassis of the phone (my Diztronic case won't be here for a couple more days).

The vibration is really loud compared to my Nexus 5. I'm just wondering if anyone else who also owned a 5 is noticing a considerably louder vibrate motor on the 5X.

My 5X has a vibration motor so strong that when I first used it I thought there was a touchscreen sound enabled. I'm a bit more used to it now.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
My N5 wasn't getting MMS on T-Mobile when I upgraded to Marshmallow, and I fixed it. Then my 5X wasn't getting MMS right away, and I did the same fix.

Settings > More > Cellular Networks > Access Point Names > click on whatever default is selected to edit > click Username and change from "Not set" to "None"

Doing that worked both times.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

xcore posted:

My 5x arrived today. I haven't done much with it yet but I like it so far.

One thing though. Why is the analogue clock not centered and how do I fix this? It's the official "Clock" app and not some third party thing I installed isn't it?

Long press, widen it

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
A few weeks ago, one of my rewards surveys was about owning a Nexus device. The survey asked whether the $50 Play Store credit had anything to do with my purchase (no), and then some questions that tried to determine how much I discount Play Store credit.

Now, the honest truth is that I don't buy much on the Play Store, so $50 in credit is not worth much to me. It's interesting to think about, but one of the questions was "Would you prefer $50 in store credit, or $20 off the cost of the device?" The clear answer for me was $20 off. I have always had similar feelings about included ear buds/cases/wrist straps/whateverthefuck -- I would literally prefer to not have them and save $1, as they are never ones that I would buy myself.

I think this survey was part of a larger experiment by Google, as they seem to be playing with cutting the prices on the phones. Discounting is an interesting behavioral concept, as it applies to many of our decisions (would you prefer $10 today, or $50 in one year?). I know they'll never release their data on this, but I'm guessing their strategy going forward will imply the result.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
This weekend I took a video in a dark theater, 100% zoom. I was pleasantly surprised -- the drat thing is watchable. The only thing that I didn't like is that it was slightly shaky. This is the first time I really felt the lack of OIS.

(Nexus 5X btw)

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Brb gonna collect my MPAA anti piracy reward.

Luke dies, nerd

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Can someone report me to the MPAA already, I want to see how they react to a video of a child's holiday dance recital

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

ErIog posted:

Is it possible to order an international Nexus 5x from the Google Play store in the US? I live in Japan, but will be home for Christmas. Nexus 5x is stupid expensive here so I was thinking I'd pick one up while I was in the US. The American version of the 5x doesn't have great compatibility with Japanese frequency bands so I wanted to get the international version. The Google Play shopping cart doesn't give me any indication of exactly which model number I'm ordering and there was no option for it when hitting the Buy Now button on the Google Play store. It just had options for color, internal memory, and whether or not I wanted a warranty.

Is there some cool guy way to get what I want?

http://www.willmyphonework.net/

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
You should track down a Blackberry Storm, the entire screen is clicky

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

Devil's advocate: who takes a five and a half hour long 4k video. Timelapse video? But that's a super specific case that would really be better served by an actual camera.

I think the reason most people would want a 128GB sd card is to carry around all of their chinese cartoons to watch at a moment's notice. Which I can appreciate.

Tangerine, available on Netflix instant, is quite a good feature-length film; it was shot entirely on an iPhone 5 (and doesn't look like it).

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

My condo got compact fluorescent lights recently :grin:

Why are you encouraging condochat with a known condo-dweller

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I read that earlier today and is about what I was expecting. Pretty disappointing that it seems like for many people you get out of the 5x about what the stereotype of Android devices is...jank.

I think a sub-$400 phone that occasionally has some lag is acceptable. Unless there is a phone out there that beats the 5X at the same price point, in which case, I will buy it.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Cozmosis posted:

It isn't really occasional though. Its relatively frequent.

I have one and that's not how I feel about it. I came from an N5 though.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

vyst posted:

So will I be able to remove my battery this cycle?

Rumor is, yes for the G5.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Zom Aur posted:

Also, there are apps like llama or probably tasker that can control your wireless for you, like automatically disabling it when you leave certain networks and enabling it when you get back. Seems much simpler than loving around with the WiFi toggle everyday.

Don't turn stuff on and off because it can actually decrease battery life. There are edge cases, like where your phone connects/drops a weak WiFi signal over and over, but otherwise don't bother.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

Nexus devices have all sorts of hardware issues and compromises (no SD slot, battery is difficult to replace, 5X is a laggy piece of poo poo, 6P is too big) even though the software is good, and Samsung phones are the other way around. It's just a matter of priorities, and, again, who gives a poo poo

Tangent: if a phone is a bit slower to get security updates, uh, so? It's not like Russia is trying to steal your hacker secrets. You're way more vulnerable to actually physically losing your phone, which is an issue no matter what phone you have.

My laptop has an integrated battery and no SD slot. I also expect it to get software security updates...

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Seems like Samsung actually is great at software, so I'd appreciate it if the thread could point me to a Tizen phone. Thanks in advance.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Smythe posted:

I fixed my poo poo mostly by janitoring contacts.google.com so that everything was right. Merging emails with their contacts and stuff. I was surprised that I had to manually clean it up instead of Google realizing that the contact for John Smith with his email, and the John Smith with his phone number were the same person and merging them for me. Once you get it sorted it works alright but IMO it's something that the backend should do automatically.

Google can merge and unmerge, and I know this because it merged my stepmom into my dad and I couldn't find her phone number. I have had to unmerge it several times.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Hi guys, how retarded?
"Real retarded."
Y'all are retarded.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

On Terra Firma posted:

I think there are solar powered phone chargers out there.

Ok true, sure, but the poster would really like to harness some JO motions please.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
My N5X started giving me new Google Now cards the other day. One had gas prices. That's cool, I thought, I'll use this information. Then I realize that it's not a location I recognize. I refresh -- it's giving me price per liters now. It's literally jumping from Canada, to London, to places I don't recognize, every time I refresh. Then it mysteriously goes away. It was also doing the same thing with FourSquare cards, naming weird businesses (I don't have the FourSquare app).

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Things I liked so much that I thought I'd never buy another phone without:
-keyboard
-Qi charging
-WebOS
-hardware nav buttons
-hardware shutter button

New things I can't live without:
-fingerprint reader
-USB-C

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

TollTheHounds posted:

Well I'm not exactly expecting N to hit this thing, but I'll be happy when Marshmallow does since it seems imminent, all the reviews I've read of beta testers ( you can apply to be a beta tester ) have been overwhelmingly positive in the same ways as everyone else going from Lollipop ( basically the same but more refined/better, better battery life etc ), so I don't expect much of a delay. In terms of security updates Blackberry releases them even before Google does to the Nexus lines ( by a day or 1 FWIW ) so I'm not concerned about that angle.

The 2 mid-rangers they're going to offer are going to be around the $4-500 mark, 1 with dedicated keyboard and 1 just a slab ( ala Z30 ), both with a fingerprint reader.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/blackberry-plans-to-launch-two-mid-range-android-phones-this-year-says-ceo/

Hopefully not too little too late at this point, but honestly I was sure they were going to tank 2 years ago, so hopefully in 2017 I'll be able to buy a Priv 2. :unsmith:

Priv is on slickdeals today for $440, I'm sure they'll have a hit on their hands with those $4-500 mid-range phones.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for. I can't think of any not-poo poo phones that have screen on times that aren't long enough for my usage. It's like when I buy a car...the size of the gas tank doesn't even enter my consciousness when figuring out what to buy because they're all big enough for everything I will conceivably use it for.

Maybe if Honda had cars that you had to fill up every night of the week, I'd reconsider buying American.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I still don't have the updated keyboard on any of my devices.

thanks a lot, Sundar

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I keep thinking I should just switch to WhatsApp, but I held out with Hangouts, waiting for a native replacement. Now finally Google comes out with...Allo. Based merely on the list of features I'm not really enthused, though I guess I don't know what I was hoping for.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
After I/O, Google made it easy to enroll in the N Beta program, and insisted it was stable. I signed up and installed the OTA on my 5X. My experience after about a week:

-No show stopping bugs. The phone has not spontaneously rebooted, and I have only had one or two apps crash. No crazy battery drain -- lasts about the same as usual.
-Bluetooth in my car seems to be slightly worse, it occasionally disconnects and reconnects when I'm not using it.
-Some apps work slightly better, and the phone is slightly faster.
-Everything works normally, even my very mediocre banking app. No phone/texting issues.
-Split screen works fine, though it always warns that it won't. I have yet to really use it; I feel like the use case is for slightly larger screens.
-The appearance of notifications is slightly nicer, in a more Material Design way, with a flat white look.
-The granularity of the notifications is better, as I can now have an app show a notification without vibration or sound -- I am pretty sure this is new.
-Editing the notification shade is whatever. The new settings menu is whatever. Some of the minor changes I don't care that much about.

Overall, I think I'd actually have been pretty happy with this as a final release, at least as of this moment.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

This has been my experience as well on the Nexus 6. It just works and works better than Marshmallow. I'm happy with it, honestly.

I did have issues with the camera being slow, but I've ALWAYS had issues with the camera deciding to take its sweet time opening. I'll probably just pick up a 2016 Nexus anyway so this shouldn't be too bad. Sick of missing the moment with the camera though.

The camera does have manual exposure control in the N preview, but I haven't touched it yet because I don't really know anything about it.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

My Nexus 5 has hit the 30 month self obsolescence limit. Bluetooth drains the battery to zero in a few hours, even when not actively in use. The wireless charging coil seems to be failing because it won't charge unless I squish my phone a few times just right before putting it down.

The 6p/5x didn't really impress me, so I've been trying to hobble to the 5xx/6px out whatever shows up this year, but I'll be damned if this phone isn't trying it's hardest to make me replace it sooner.

FWIW, the 5X is basically a better 5. Better camera, mainly.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Installed Duo. Now I just need to know a single person in the real world that plans on installing it...

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It's more secure than your pattern... I've been able to "hack" into phones by looking at the smudges on the screen.
I'm not saying that I don't believe it's possible, but I'm saying I don't believe that this particular poster on the Something Awful forums has people in his life who let him touch their phones.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

SB35 posted:

But, there's already a pixel... That doesn't make any sense. Goddammit Google.

You mean the Chromebook Pixel I think

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Rumors are that there will be some kind of financing option through google that does not require a Fi plan. If the phone is really good, and if there is a 0% financing option, then it's definitely a more compelling option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

I downloaded it. Pretty sure I won't use it.