Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
So, is Qualcomm's 808 that much of an improvement over the 805? The biggest differences seems to be the modem and 64-bit vs. 32-bit architecture.

Because aside from the N5X's sensor (I don't care), the Nexus 6 is stupid cheap affordable right now.

And the N5X doesn't even have Gorilla Glass 4.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

How truthful is the battery drain statistics?

Because I swear that since Lollipop, Chrome has just been this horrific piece of poo poo battery drainer, even if it never showed it in the stats.

Force closing it and using Opera instead has (so far) solved any issue I've had with mysterious battery drains on my N5.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

What are some recommended apps for customizing the lock screen?

I want it to show the temperature, as well as the current time.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 9, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

AP did a 6P camera vs S7 camera thingy. http://goo.gl/juexXC

spoiler: 6P better photos (but really they're both pretty great), but S7 better software...particularly in how fast you can get a picture taken.

The Android App thread.

Whoops! :tipshat:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

Weird, have had nothing but good battery life off my Nexus 6p, but something happened today to drive it crazy. The battery is draining faster than usb slow charge can charge it. The only thing I was running was Awful App, Chrome, and Gmail. Have rebooted it to hopefully fix whatever death cycle was going on there, anyone else run into something similar?

I find that Force Closing the Chrome and Camera apps solves all battery drain problems not caused by a gaming app.

Had to do it to the FB messenger app once too.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

JayKay posted:

So with the 6P and 5X on sale with B&H, Amazon, and Google Play, how far do you think they'll drop when the 2016's drop?

Not going to lie, very tempted to pick up a 6P, but I know prices will come down even further the closer we get.

Edit: Did the previous generation get the price cuts this early?

Also interested in this, though I'm worried the white 6P will be impossible to find anywhere outside Google's store. :ohdear:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

LastInLine posted:

None of my chargers have any wires at all. :negative:

My wireless charger was the best thing I bought for my N5. :hfive:

waitaminute...

Also, I don't care if it is slower, gently caress Google for removing Qi charging for the new models.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Vagrancy posted:

I dismissed it at the time, but given AP's recreation/render of the 2016 phones omits the Nexus logo altogether and despite everything else, they still don't know what it's called:

https://twitter.com/RDR0b11/status/759111426061414401

Their code names are Sailfish and Marlin, so obviously they'll be called the Nexus S&M. :whip:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Zorilla pretty much explained it perfectly but I guess I'd add that the relationship just feels perfectly one-to-one with a Mac trackpad. Combined with macOS's heavy usage of gestures (three and four finger swipes, spreads, pinches) and it's just this perfect, seamless interface that you don't have to ever consider.

If I were trying to explain it to someone who hadn't used one on the reg I'd say that it's so good it makes using a mouse feel slow and inaccurate.

Apple's trackpad is so good, I stopped using a mouse with my Mini.
Best couch peripheral ever made.

The 64gb 6P and ZTE Axon 7 are nearly the same price right now at USD $400-425. Wouldn't mind an SD820 and 4gb ram, but Nexii have regular Google updates...
Any rumors on the prices of the Nexuses S&M yet?

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 10, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Genuinely, you'll probably get a quite noticeable battery life boost from going to the Facebook web interface or a wrapper like Metal. Facebook's horrible app has been experimentally demonstrated to massively eat background power.

Dude, just turn off notifications for every single post and update. Check the FB app manually.
It's nowhere near a significant drain on my phone (1% per full charge), and I use a N5 running bluetooth headphones the entire workday (Audible/Digitally Imported/Pocketcasts).

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 15, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Woo, including those, it's four percent! Major battery eater! :monocle:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

You say you listen to stuff all day like that helps your case...it doesn't. Think about how percentages work. If you add a major battery drain will the percentage of battery drained by other apps go up or down?

:lol: Are you serious; it's the percentage of the battery total, not a percentage of what you've used.

I used 4% of the battery, (including Android OS/Services) not 4% of the battery that I used (which would've been 2% of the battery's total the day I posted).

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 16, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

:vince:

ErikTheRed posted:

If anyone is curious about it I picked up a ZTE Axon 7 (the grey color).
Seems like a pretty good pick at the $400 level. It's fast, the screen looks great and battery life seems incredibly good compared to my 2014 Moto X. I like the size
ZTE's skin is alright (it's not wildly different from stock Android), though it's really stupid you can't disable the notification bell on the lock screen. The camera takes very nice photos with good light, but as reviews have stated the low-light performance is not very good.
It's sounds like the phone should get Nougat pretty soon so that's nice as well.
It's great that $400 off contact now nets you an awesome phone.

What's your opinion on the capacitive buttons? I've heard they're quite close together, and not backlit. Also, are they really just dots, as youtube reviews seem to indicate?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Dunno how ya'll feel about rumors, but here's the alleged prices of the HTCs S&M:

32gb Sailfish - $449
32gb Marlin - A 2006 PS3 (USD $599)

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Google-Nexus-Marlin-and-Nexus-Sailfish-prices-reportedly-leaked_id84627

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Humerus posted:

They're definitely moving towards a unified experience. Could be great, if they stick with it. And since this is Google, that is a big, big "if."

Yeah, because that's been working soo well for Microsoft...

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 6, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Have they announced a price for the LG V20 yet?
Given that the price of the HTC S&M is going to be near Samsung territory, I want to know if I should bother, or just wait for a sale on a S7/Edge.
The dust resistance is actually relevant to my job.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Contactless payment works great for me in the US so I'm not sure what you two are going on about. What a strange position to launch an "America sucks" argument from.

To be fair, when one's country votes en masse that it's totally cool with the idea of isolationism, and nullifying a decades long, international economic agreement that had generally been in their favour, you grasp whatever straws you can to feel good.

See: Canadian envy of even American internet/phone plans, while holding high their healthcare system. :canada:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 8, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I don't understand why Samsung hasn't been forced to issue a recall by now.

Actually, they did a (voluntary) recall- in ten countries, amounting to 2.5 million devices.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/samsung-galaxy-note-7-canada-recall-1.3750978

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You guys really need to shoot deregulators. Just sayin'.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Think of having a Note 7 this way: You're Ethan Hunt with amnesia and any message could be your next mission assignment.

You should make this an app before someone steals the idea.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

uPen posted:

This is going to be like that chipotle thing where we have random reports of people getting sick/phones blowing up for the next 6 months.

I expect a lot of insurance claims on assets (cars/mortgaged homes) burning down. :tinfoil:

Since Apple is proving the adage that the S model is still the only one worth getting out of their products, does anyone know if the Pixels will have water and dust resistance?
It's actually applicable to my job, where I'm allowed to use my phone to listen to my own music all day.
I haven't quite psyched myself up for a Sarnsung'ing yet.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 16, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

That'll be what- ~$850 for a 128 XL? Might as well get a 128gb 7 Plus/Pinto 7 for that. At least then it'll have water resistance, Gorilla Glass 5, flash storage that isn't ice age slow, and a not-poo poo camera.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I asked him if, as an engineer; he cared to speculate what tradeoffs Apple made to iMessenger to allow multi-device support. :ironicat:

I'll let you know when I get blocked a reply.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Toshimo posted:

drat. What's the cool and good phone for a fat rear end battery and bigass screen, then?

HP Elite x3 :q:

6" screen
4100 mAh battery

Oh wait, you said cool. Nevermind. (It's a Windows phone :lol: )

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Android Police shits on Asus basically every podcast. Make of that what you will.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

anakha posted:

HTC, Sony = :lol:

Is there a "dumpster fire" smiley for BBRY?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Kinda glad my N5 isn't getting it then. :haw:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

My S5 is doing a bang up job right now and I can't see why I'd upgrade for a considerable time. It's up to date and will get N, so why not get an S5 if money is tight?

It will get security updates, but it won't be getting N. The chipset needs to support the Vulkan api for Nougat, and the SD800/801 explicitly won't.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You want him to pay adult prices for a child's size phone? :rolleyes:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mental Hospitality posted:

Unfortunately, it seems the headphone jack is defective. This is my 4th Motorola phone but apparently Lenovo fired the engineers responsible for correctly implementing a working 3.5mm jack. I only have audio in the right channel. I made sure to check that my headphones were seated completely (they snap in with a noticeable click) and have tried rebooting the phone (in safe mode as well). So far, no luck.

Have you tried a new pair of headphones to be sure? Headphone plugs wear out with repeated insertion and removal cycles, even if they otherwise look fine.
Speaking as someone who's job allows them to wear all day, every day; it's the single biggest reason I went to Bluetooth, and I genuinely (no bullshit) hope everyone follows Apple in getting rid of it.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 28, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mental Hospitality posted:

The headphones work fine in my laptops and my old phone. They're Sony XB90 IEMs and I've only had them for a year. I'm hesitant to going to Bluetooth because a can cram these in my pocket at a whim, never have to worry about recharging them, and I enjoy how bass heavy they are (16mm drivers).

Fair enough. The Bluetooth ones I use have 12 hour battery life (about 3 hours for a thirty minute charge), but only 8mm drivers.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Tizen/Touchwiz is just so powerful, no one machine can handle this much psycho power solutions to everyday living.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Lots of people, actually. Go read the TV thread and see how often people come in I DON'T WANT SMART TV THEY'RE SLOW AND BAD.

If you want a grown-up size TV, it's going to have a Smart UI. No one's saying you have to use it.

Shocker, I know.

My plasma :awesomelon: is still very needs suiting. Never need the Smart features because my PS4 already does that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mostly needs suiting, I have to agree.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I'm hoping that just having two storage options (32gb and 128gb) and having the same specs just with different sizes (barring resolution and battery which is due to the size) means that the price delta between phones will be very small.

I can stomach $650 for a 32gb Pixel if the 128gb Pixel is only $700-$720.

I'm also curious to see if the 700 mah increase in battery for the XL actually translates to anything in the real world due to the increased screen size and resolution. That's about the only thing that would make me consider the XL over the smaller one. I like my Moto X Pure, but going back to a smaller size is tempting. I could have a phone that fit into the phone slot the center console of my car again.

AP speculation is an alternating price scheme.

Pixel 32 - $649
Pixel 128 - $749
Pixel XL 32 - $699
Pixel XL 128 - $799

Give or take another twenty-to-thirty bucks.

No GPU upgrade, no Gorilla Glass 5, no sub-f/2.0 camera, no dual front speakers, no dual lens, and no IP68? For premium prices? Fuuuck that.
I think I'll take a chance on an unlocked Sarnsung next year, before paying a $300 premium just for two years of OS upgrades.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 3, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Why is waterproofing such a big deal in phones all the sudden? It's not new. Is it really even useful?

Also, who is paying extra for the 128gb? How could you max out 32? Google photos clears out space as needed without losing access, and Google music intelligently caches. What are people doing with their phones that they need 128 gd gb?

Dust resistance is actually relevant to my job, and honestly; if Apple, Sony, and Samsung can do it, among others- what's stopping Google? Why should I pay $300 more than an OP3/Axon 7 and not get it?
As for why 128gb is needed, it's simple; most of the music I like simply isn't available via streaming, and HD video recording eats up memory lickety-split.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Pixel phones are made by htc, and don't even come with grip tape. :argh:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

With how bad and underwhelming these look, the only way I can see them being a remote success is yeah, if the prices are massively lower than what's been leaked. If it's higher than $600 Canadian loonies based on what we've seen, there's no way it'll sell.

If you want a sliver of hope, Jaime Rivera from PocketNow said it was the 128 XL that was USD $649, though it was probably an accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

I have a shockproof waterproof camera that is comparable in size to other cameras in its class. I know it's not totally valid to compare, but given that an iPhone has flattened by 5 mm in its life, I think a lot of people would give that back to get a phone that will survive a good drop.

No, they won't, because they can afford Apple Care. The only extra weight they want in their phone is more battery. That's all that the vast majority of phone owners want.
Nobody wants a half-pound piece of poo poo in their pants where the added weight will never, ever, ever matter for 99.999% of the lifetime of the phone.

Battery life on the other hand, is something that is actually relevant 100% of the time a phone exists.

Buy an Otterbox and suck it up.

That being said, I actually spotted a guy with a CAT(erpiller) S50 at The Beer Store™ last month.
They're chunky as gently caress. http://www.catphones.com/en-ca/phones/s60-smartphone

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 4, 2016