Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

suddenlyissoon posted:

Does anyone know if the Fire Phone has an IR blaster? It's on sale for 189 at Amazon with a free year of prime. I was thinking of picking it up if it could be used as a Harmony replacement.

I'm holding one right now. It does not have a visible IR blaster that I can see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

snipermonkey posted:

I think the moto G 4G is the upgraded version, unless you are thinking of another phone. Looking at the specs of both moto G:s they are pretty much the same, except the newer one has a card slot, LTE and is slightly more expensive. Reason why i'm leaning towards Moto G is because it's more than 100 euros less expensive than S4 and M7 and pretty much stock Android.

EDIT: Also SD card slot

This actually isn't true. The Moto G LTE is a variant of the first generation Moto G. The second generation (and all first generations except when specifically labelled LTE) doesn't have LTE. The good news is that the second gen just made the screen bigger, and almost all of the internals are otherwise the same. Assuming you're in an LTE area, the Moto G LTE is still a fine phone.

It isn't going to be as fast as a current gen flagship phone, but it isn't terrible or anything. I'd get it over an S4 for sure, even at the same price (although there's some stock android bias there), and I'd save the 100 moon dollars over the M7 (though I'd probably get the M7 if they were the same price. Probably.).

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Very annoyed...My Note 4 appears to have a defect on the inner lens assembly on the camera which shows up as a small dark spot on photos. I thought it was just dust on the outer lens, but its not, and then i thought it was maybe dust on the inner lens, and it isn't. I used a microscope to look at it and It appears that the lens coating has spiderwebbed at this little spot in the center, and I suppose its big enough to be resolved. Its so minor that I didn't notice it for the last 4 months but its there, and now that I noticed it I wont be able to un-notice it.

Of course I didn't buy the insurance when I got the phone because I'm a dumbass...anyone ever seen replacement phones working out for some sort of manufacturing defect without insurance?

Do you think it was it there when you got it? If so, it's a warranty issue, and you could probably get it fixed by Samsung. You'd have to ship your phone in though.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

hooah posted:

My phone didn't ask me how to open the Google+ link, and Firefox just loaded a blank page. What's the context?

Russell Holly on G+ posted:

Samsung's lock screen is updated to Lollipop, unless you have the S-View case on. With the S-View case on you get a pair of clocks that tell you the same time, and a pedometer that stays on the screen even when you disable the feature.

VVV THAT'S RIGHT!!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

hooah posted:

Does anyone else have a problem with the Play Store's "Update All" button not actually, y'know, updating all? It will work properly maybe half the time, but often I'll have to hit it two or three times because one or two apps will get updated, then it'll just stop.

Are you in any beta app programs? This happens to me every time when the beta app I'm using updates.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Incorrect. On all my devices, mine were set to auto backup with no restrictions (I'm on unlimited, I don't give a gently caress.) I still got the notice on all of them.

Did you look at the exact text of the notification? I have my settings the same as yours, and I got a different notification, just reminding me my backup was still on.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

Anyone have experience dealing with LG for out of warranty repair or replacement? Nexus 5 that I bought in December 2013 is shutting itself off or dying or something. Super frustrating not being able to use my phone unless its plugged in. Would have loved to have it last longer than a gear and some change.

It's annoying and slow, but it works. Just submit an RMA and ship it back.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Reading that anandtech review, it seems like most of the M9 issues come down to the 810 not being a great phone SoC. Seems like unless you need a phone, sitting this out and waiting for Qualcomm's custom architected stuff next generation might be the right move.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

I sent my out of warranty Nexus 5 in with an LG RA thingy but I don't know if they actually fixed it or if they are just sending it straight back. Nothing on their tracking site indicated to me that they looked at it at all. It just said "RA closed - return shipping" which is cool I guess. I've been looking around in case I need to buy a new phone and this One Plus thingy looks good but also weird and maybe unreliable. Never heard of these guys before and I'm hesitant to buy a possibly shoddily made phone after a pretty trash experience with my Nexus dying just out of warranty. What are the other off contract cheap but not poo poo phones out there now that the N5 is gone?

LG does that when they RMA their phones. It'll probably be fixed. Don't buy a One Plus.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

What's the drawback of the One Plus, for curiosity's sake? The tech review sites seemed to love it, but they also love smartphone watches and to line up outside of stores.

Quality control issues (RMAs being sold as new, devices with obvious flaws being shipped), buggy software, horrible customer support. Some people here like them, and maybe some of these issues from around launch have been worked out, but I'd rather not support a company that thought those kind of practices were ok, even if they're fixed now.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

calandryll posted:

Hopefully someone can explain what is going on with my phone. I have a HTC M7 and recently it's been going crazy with my battery. I'll look at my phone and it'll say 30% left and then it turns off. I just tried taking a picture, the flash went off and my phone completely shutoff saying there was no charge left. Phone hosed? Or try factory reset, etc and hopefully it's some kind of software problem?

This happened to both my Brother's and my Girlfriend's M7. They were only able to fix it by getting it replaced. It is very likely a bad battery.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Flashed M on my Dev n5. First impression: a lot like lollipop. Seems stable enough, but again, this is a Dev device with no software besides my company's app.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Sure it won't turn off if you hold the power button down? Like, for a while

Yeah, holding the power button down for 10+ seconds overrides the software and forces it to turn off immediately. If that doesn't work, your phone is seriously internally damaged and will have to be replaced. It would be the equivalent of a battery pull, then not being able to turn the phone back on.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

So it's been a few days.... how's that M preview working out for those brave souls?

With the caveat that it is one of my dev phones and not my daily driver, no issues.

Eejit posted:

Haha what? It has an extra gig of ram, higher pixel density on a larger display, and better camera.

RVP covered most of the things I wanted to say, so I'll just add that I could not be happier with my G2 since the Lollipop update. I don't expect it to get any more updates, certainly not M, and that's a real problem if someone were buying the phone now to use for 2+ years, but the current state of the G2 is very good. If you can really get it for ~$200, that's an excellent deal. All of the annoying LG software issues (bigger default font, menu button instead of multitask, tons of junk cluttering the notification shade, popups when you plug the headphones/charging cord in) have all been fixed. The phone still gets 2 days of battery life with light-moderate usage. The camera and screen are still really good. I definitely would not get a G3 over a G2.

I really love stock Lollipop. In my opinion stock is still better than skinned, but the G2's build is way better than Samsung's Lollipop (at least on the S5, I don't have an S6), and I like it better than the M8's lollipop too (don't have an M9). It's not as good as Motorola's near stock experience (and I don't have a Sony phone to compare it with), but I'm not on Verizon and I needed a bigger battery than any of their non-Turbo phones had (same reason I didn't go with a N5), and it's close enough that I don't regret it.

Kitkat on the G2 had a lot of LG caused software issues. The trade off of crappy software for a bigger battery was very noticeable. The G2 on Lollipop is still a trade off, but it is small enough that I don't notice it day to day anymore.

LG's warranty support does still suck though.

EDIT: Oh! There is still 1 stupid LG software thing, and it is new. When you use swipe to unlock, and have a notification on the lock screen, if you tap the notification, you then have to swipe to unlock. Stock lollipop unlocks if you double tap the notification, and that makes way more sense.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 1, 2015

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

iajanus posted:

Thanks! So much better! Wonder how many people prefer it the new way, it seems so hamfisted and useless.

I think it is fine. The only thing I'd change is to bring back the swipe left or right on the address bar to change tabs. I'm not sure I prefer it this way though.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/06/reuters-blackberry-may-launch-android-device-with-a-hardware-keyboard/

Hardware keyboard die hards rejoice? Maybe?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

^^ EFB

Fat_Cow posted:

Does that go by some sort of minutes plan or something? I simply want to text.

Google Voice is exactly what you want. You sign up with your google account, pick out a new phone number, install the app, and then you have free unlimited SMS (they use data to send/receive) on your existing phone, using the app instead of whatever app you use for your texts. You could set it up to forward to your normal number, but for your purposes, I wouldn't. Just use 2 numbers on your current phone.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

Is the 32GB Fire Phone for $165 a good deal? My Nexus 4's screen is broken and it'd be nice to have a replacement while I wait for the Nexus 5.2 or 2015 Moto X to come out.

I know the Fire Phone was terrible when it came out at $649, but apparently you can put the Google Play Store and Services on now, and a lot of the reviewers' complaints stemmed from not having that (and the price).

Edit: apparently there's a beta of Cyanogenmod 11 available for it as of July 4.

"Learn" is not in RIM's vocabulary.

I've said it before, but my work purchased a fire phone, and I have used it extensively. $159 is still too much. It is a phone exclusively designed for watching/listening stuff from Amazon, nothing more. That's fine for a tablet, bad for a phone.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

I forgot to mention: apparently it comes with a year of Amazon Prime, too (which usually costs $99).

I personally still wouldn't buy it even at $60, but I'm willing to concede that at that point maybe it would be worth it for someone who isn't me.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, I guess so much for me treating a phone like an appliance :sigh:. Down the rabbit hole with another thing to sperg about, I'm going to be customizing every single thing about the phone before long.

Are the wrinkles ironed out with the G2 on Lollipop? I've got the option to update it, but the most recent article I can find is from April, about there being problems with 5.0.2. onthe G2s and G3s.

There are still some software issues on the G2 on Lollipop, but it is so so so much better than it was on KitKat. Definitely update.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Does anyone have the M preview 2, and use the NJT app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.njtransit.njtapp&hl=en)

I can't get it to log in with the preview.

Yeah, just tell me your username and password. I'll tell you if I can get it to work. Also, I hope you like Newark, because you're about to get 500 bus tickets there.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

If there was one thing I'd love, it would be to exclude loving ibtimes from Google now

Yeah, better control (or just better filtering) over where it pulls its news from would be great. I've pretty much stopped clicking on any news stories it pulls up, because it usually gets topics I enjoy, but stories from the worst places on the internet.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

I think that article might be a bit premature. Lets wait and see what Qualcomm's next gen 64 bit chip looks like. If that's bad, I'll start to believe it. The 810 was always going to be bad, because Apple surprised chipmakers with a 64 bit chip. Then, because marketing, everyone needed to have one, so Qualcomm slapped one together with basically off the shelf parts. The reason the 800/801/805 (and some previous qualcomm chips) were so good was because they were designed in house by Qualcomm. Once they have a chance to do that again (i.e. next generation), my guess is they will start to get some market share back.

The core problems of Samsung wanting to use Exynos and Mediatek encroaching from the low end will continue to be issues, but they were issues in the 800 generation too, the 800 was just better. Intel will eventually have a mobile part that makes sense, but we've been saying that for what feels like 5 years now.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

MC Hawking posted:

Out of curiosity are there any real viable solutions to making your desktop a 'cloud storage server'? I've been wanting to move off dropbox for a while due to unreasonable :tinfoil:-edness, but I haven't really heard much about easily configurable solutions.

Use SpiderOak. You control your own ssh keys, so no one, including them, can access your data. There's a referral thread around here somewhere for extra space.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Not to suggest that there isn't a problem here, because there is, but that 2.6% number is definitely too low. All that is is the number of devices on 5.1 from the Android dashboard. I think it is safe to say that those phones will be updated. In addition, LG announced they're releasing a fix for their flagships back to the G2. The G2 is on 5.0.x. Sony is updating back to the z2. Samsung has announced back to the s5, but I wouldn't be surprised if they go back farther, at least to the s4, since the s4 has a lollipop build.

I think a more realistic number would be around 15% of phones will be updated. That's still bad, and it is still a problem, but 15% >>> 2%, and I don't think the author does himself any favors by being hyperbolic. The point of the story would still be the same if he had used 15%.

As an aside, and speaking of being hyperbolic: "Drake called [the bug] the worst in Android's history". There isn't a :bahgawd: big enough to capture my reaction to that. It's bad that the bug can be triggered without any user action required, but until someone shows a way to get through google's memory randomization, it's just a bug, not an attack vector. The worst reasonable thing to consider is that it will overwrite some important memory and crash. Now if his blackhat talk is him showing how to weaponize this bug, I'll have to eat my words, but I doubt he'll be able to do that.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Has anyone seen really poor GPS performance on a Nexus 5 recently?

My fiancee's GPS as of a couple of weeks ago has had huge delays in updating where she is (i.e. she opened Maps just now and it is showing her at a location she was at on Sunday evening). We use G+ location sharing pretty regularly, so we know it worked well up until a couple of weeks ago. It's probably a coincidence, but it started happening when we were at a location with terrible service for a couple of days. Obviously I wouldn't expect location to be precise while there, but it has remained awful ever since. I'm having her download GPS status and clear GPS data like that, but if that doesn't work, does she have to do a full wipe? Is this a known issue?

EDIT: If she opens Maps and sits there for a long time, it usually (but not always) eventually updates to the right place, but it is much longer than the usual GPS lock acquire time (several minutes, even on a very clear day). Background location services seem universally awful though, unless she actually triggers a manual update.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 25, 2015

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Isn't this two cycles in a row that LG has been the fastest updaters? I don't remember any complaints about problems the upgrade either.

What's the world coming to?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I have a strong suspicion that we won't be waiting long for any of this year's flagships to get marshmallow. Strong.

Bull can't say it, so I will. Bull is in a soak test.

Fake edit: I assume. I don't know him or anything.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Hmm, did see this on their FAQ:

We do not charge any fees if you leave Project Fi. If you buy a new device when you sign up for Project Fi and choose to pay for your device over time, the remaining monthly payments on your device are due if you leave Project Fi.

I think people might be misinterpreting this as a way to finance a device without activating service (but I might just be misreading posts). Just in case there is confusion, a better way for Google to have worded this was "the remaining monthly payments on your device come due when you leave Project Fi." Basically, if you're not using Fi, you have to pay off your phone right away.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

In that case, pro buy. Other than nostalgia propping up my irrational love of the ye olde Nexus One the Moto N6 is the best phone I've owned in terms of quality.

I've also heard marshmallow did wonders for the battery life.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I haven't used the G4, but this is a hilarious statement in a world where the Fire Phone exists.

No one SHOULD be even thinking about the fire phone. It is Android in name only.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

the nicker posted:

no you're not, assuming you're going from android to android.

Well, Nexus to Nexus anyway.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

SnakePlissken posted:

Question, I want to have more of my computer's functionality on my Android phone. Like something more resembling a computer keyboard and specifically an undo and redo button for text editing, and maybe a better way of copy/pasting. Any suggestions?

I don't know why you'd want those things, but Hacker's Keyboard is a full computer keyboard on your phone, including a CTRL button for copy/pasting.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

yeah well it's like people want their phones to do different things. What the gently caress is the use of the first swipe only showing you what you already know from the notification bar?

Basically I want to be able to do with one finger what you can currently do with two. Is there a way?

You have strange opinions about what you want to do with your notification bar (you know, the thing you interact with notifications with). That said, if you two finger swipe down from the top bar, it will do what you want it to do.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

Still a very easy thing to do when it's expanded? Everything important is always near the top anyway. I guess I don't keep a thousand goddamn things in my notifications like most soccer moms with their phones do.

yes thank you

I guess there's no way to do it, so, eh.

I was in too big of a hurry to insult you to properly read your post.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

n.. posted:

Heh, I drop my phone about once every two weeks on average. Usually from chest height onto concrete. I dropped my n5 (with diztronic case) probably 50 times. The worst was when it came out of pocket on my scooter at 45mph. It never got a scratch.

Although I much prefer the ringke slim case on my 5x to the diztronic. Much slimmer and nicer feeling but protects just as well.

I always wonder why people use cases. I don't wonder anymore.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

n.. posted:

The fact that I always use a case and know they work well makes me more careless when holding in. The size is also a huge factor, I drop my phones more the bigger they get. I always have it in my hand when getting up or getting out of the car since it's too big to comfortably keep in my pocket sitting down.

I wasn't being critical. You're clearly using the product (the case) for it's intended purpose.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

When resuming play on Bluetooth with Google Music, does it start at the beginning of a song, or where you paused it? I usually use a different music player, but I'm seeing it start at the beginning of a song instead of where I paused it and that's annoying.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

vyst posted:

Only turbo nerds get really salty about touch wiz. It's perfectly serviceable and now as of my galaxy s6 edge the only unmodifiable part of it is the lock screen.

My major problems with it are that it adds a bunch of non-removable stuff to the notification drawer and that it majorly slows down updates. I do think those 2 things matter. I agree with your general point though, it has gotten way better over the years.

Speaking of, how is Samsung doing keeping up with the security updates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

go3 posted:

looks like I'll be rocking my HTC One M7 until the battery dies

My friend managed to replace the battery in his without damaging the body apart from some minor scratches. Pretty impressive, but he's handy and loves the m7.