Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

TollTheHounds posted:

I almost joined the Beta program so you can get OTA updates of beta releases ( OS & App ), so right now it's all about the Marshmallow update, but right as I was about to enable logging and proceed with letting them in, I asked on the beta forums what exactly is going to be logged. Not sure if this is breaking an NDA but The answer is literally "everything", they will "try" to "scrub all personal data, and access is restricted anyway" but to me that means if you use banking apps or anything you would consider sensitive, your usage of it will be sent to their Beta team. :tinfoil: So I changed my mind, but not sure if that's :spergin: leves of :tinfoil: or what. I guess they have no other way of doing it, they want detailed logs/bug tracking, but considering it'll be out of beta in a few weeks anyway I'll just wait.

They might be able to see what apps you open and whatever is being logged out to the system but unless you bank is doing some hilariously insecure poo poo already you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Combat Pretzel posted:

Not much on the phone yet, anyway. Setting up 2FA again and again is annoying, tho.

It used to be, but now you can do auto text message verification.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Luchadork posted:

The problem with the battery life discussion also comes down to how much you use the phone. The 5x battery is perfectly fine for me, but 1.5 to 2 hours of SOT is my norm. I'm not on my phone constantly. The battery is Good (especially considering the price paid for the device).

If you're on your phone to the point that you're working up to 5 hours of SOT then, obviously, the 5x would have a bad battery to you, and so you should spend a hundred or two extra to get a phone with a bigger battery.

Alternatively, there are ever increasingly larger capacity and smaller form factor portable battery packs for cheap.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Destroyed my Nexus 6 last night :rip:, discovered to my surprise that the Project Fi discount on Nexus devices applies to existing customers as well. Nexus 5x inbound :woop:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Sell both and buy a 5x for $200 bucks.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

galahan posted:

So if I want to wait for the new nexus, but my phones screen is shattered, battery degraded, and power button is jammed....

And I want to go google fi, I should take the $150 discount on the 5x and then flip it when the new nexus comes out, if the reviews are good?

The 6p seems nice but the new model drops in a few months right?

It seems a crazy good deal to have a $200 phone that rivals my HTC one m8 I paid almost $700 for.

Edit: sorry I read all the nexus talk earlier and the thread, but I didn't know I'd shatter my screen...

Just did this exact thing. Dropping $250 on a phone with a smaller form factor to replace my shattered Nexus 6 seems like a steal when the replacement glass and digitizer costs nearly $200.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Worked fine for me yesterday. It took a couple hours though for about 100 apps.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Been rocking this error the last couple days, Sundar be praised.

Ordered a new Fi SIM so hopefully that fixes it.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Googles 5x case is super rad. It has fabric on the back and is very nice quality.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
After having worked on an app that uses Bluetooth last year I'm surprised that Bluetooth applications work consistently at all.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Leaving your phone out in public while you sleep is inviting it to be taken. Hell, having your phone out while walking around, depending on where you live, is inviting it to be taken.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

AT&T finally pushed Marshmallow to the Note 5. Only 4 months behind everyone else!

Marshmallows killing my battery, anything I should look at first?

I'd take a look at a Nexus 6P, should solve your issues.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

hotsauce posted:

May have something to do with the fact that there are 24,000 unique Android devices in the world.

Compare that to the number of iOS devices and I think you are off to a good start with understanding the fragmentation.

I'm certain it's more complicated/intricate than this, but Android must be a nightmare to develop for, given this. The SDK probably makes it easier now, but the past must have been a disaster.

It's actually a lot nicer than iOS most of the time. There are special snowflake scenarios typically involving Samsung loving around with how Android works, but usually not so bad.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Hangouts

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

peepsalot posted:

OK. Does messenger not work at all under project Fi? OK had it set to be the default app for SMS on my prev phone

AFAIK if you have hangouts integration enabled, you gotta use the hangouts app. If you disable hangouts integration and then also set messenger as default SMS then messenger should work.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Oh good, it's back, it's annoying having to run a crappy screen overlay app.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Got Nougat on my 5X; didn't fix the bug where I can't send a text message with Google Now voice commands, which is the one thing I was hoping for.

Works pretty well on my 5x on M and N. Hth

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

MMD3 posted:

Any way to remedy this easily?

Unregister your number from iMessage.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Thermopyle posted:

Anybody here used any of these dbrand skins?

Looking at their site/videos I feel like they'd start peeling off pretty quickly from taking the phone in and out of your pocket...

They are legit.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Try talking for two seconds on an NJT quiet car. You'll get some khaki wearing polo shirts middle aged white guy to yell at you before you finish one sentence. Once a packed train with no room a poor lady with a kid got stuck standing in the isle on a quiet car and the kid started fussing. After no less that five seconds some guy started yelling at her to get the kid off the quiet car. I was standing between her and the guy, who was sitting down, and asked him to please calm down and leave her alone, the train was packed, and she was doing the best she could, there was no where for her to go. The guy got a little irate and yelled at her more, ignoring me, so I got in the guys face and told him to leave her alone or I'd shut him up. He looked at me, and I said, "you piece of garbage I hope that awful kid didn't ruin your commute" He kept his fat gob shut for the rest of the ride.

That dude for sure is just hoping he gets to yell at some Note 7 haver. It's all he has in life.

Have you lived in Chicago and is this you? https://youtu.be/tzq8bfOgihA

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

spincube posted:

[e] I'm currently using Twilight to save my eyes at night, but wasn't Nougat supposed to include a Night Mode toggle?

It was, and does, but they hid it for some reason. You can use Night Mode Enabler to get it to show back up. Took a lot of fiddling with the app and settings before I got it working.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I'm hype as gently caress over the Pixel and it's going to own oowee. Bbbut it's $250 more than the mid range phone of last year :qq:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Taffer posted:

On Android at least, you can always get back a bitmap which is just a raw image. You can do whatever the gently caress you want with on literally any android device including the very oldest ones that existed. There really is no excuse for that.

Eh, when you start to factor in all the different hardware like dual cameras, different supported resolutions, ability to not blow up having a big rear end bitmap in memory, etc, it was probably a lot faster for them to poo poo out a screenshot app than to spend money on doing it right.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I remember the slow to update part, I just didn't remember the hardware part. Probably because I didn't give a poo poo at the time if I was aware of it

Iirc it was before the Nexus line had all radios included. I can't recall if it was because of licensing or what.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

These are the pictures they took on it for the press conference.

https://goo.gl/photos/jVLTGpuvD8ezDWU2A

Looks like a good number of them were processed with Snapseed and VSCO http://phandroid.com/2016/10/04/google-pixel-photo-samples/

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

CLAM DOWN posted:

They still look amazing, even with Snapseed you need a good starting shot. I really want Pixel full reviews to come in, I'm really wondering about battery life for one.

I'm with you, mostly just posted it for full disclosure. My order changed to pending today :bubblewoop:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Thermopyle posted:

Does anyone else find scanning barcodes with the 6P to be super frustrating? It's so hard to get it to focus on the barcode.

Are you holding the barcode close to the phone? I don't have a 6P but a lot of phones struggle auto focusing on stuff that's too close, and will have no issue reading a barcode from 2 feet away.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Its required to unlock if you want to flash factory images straight from Google.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Zero VGS posted:

Google made a prepaid phone service leveraging Tmobile and Sprint.

It also utilizes US Cellular.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I couldn't really recommend anything other than a Nexus 5x in that price range.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I can only assume the extra system partition on the Pixel will take up a good chunk of that 32gb, which was my main concern.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nova Launcher is really good but I really like having Google Now on the far left home screen.

This drove me mad until I set my 2nd home button action to show Google Now.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

FunOne posted:

Agreed. I haven't had a case on my phones and this 6P is the first one I've really dropped and dinged. Just a dented corner is the most damage I've suffered.

That being said, I went ahead and opted for the 5$/mo protection plan on Fi for the Pixel. I'll run it as a business expense and probably never use it, but given that the price has gone from 500 to shy of a 1000 for replacement, the impact of an issue has gotten larger.

Did you find that the $5/month was a better option for you than the $99 Google Protection?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
At about 12gb free on my 32GB 5x, I don't really see 32GB being super viable on the Pixel. 4k video, pictures, double system partition size, and caching music and podcasts due to Fi. The extra $100 is worth not having to worry about storage at all in the future, given I have no idea what new cool poo poo will be out in the next 2-3 years.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
"Is that the new iPhone?"
"Nah man this is a good phone :smuggo:"

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

RZA Encryption posted:

Has anyone used the wired phone-to-phone migration tool?

Worked great 5x -> Pixel. Much faster using a cable to copy over data.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Watching 5x prices go down on Swappa. Wtb 2x 32gb 5x $400 freedom dollars

I've got one, PM if you desire.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Zohn posted:

My question is, as someone who has only ever bought cheap phones outright, how is Google's payment plan? Is it as straightforward as it seems?

You apply for financing through Synchrony Bank. If approved you make your monthly interest free payments to them. If you're an automatic bill pay kinda guy it should be pretty painless.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

monster on a stick posted:

The battery screen says I'm at 70% with two hours left.

Sounds about right for a Galaxy Nexus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
It's all in the post processing. Buddy of mine did some raw comparisons and iPhone7/Pixel raws are hilariously noisy compared to a good quality Nikon. Yet if you let the phone do it's thing in auto mode, it's incredible how good the mobile phone pictures end up compared to the Nikon.