Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Vinlaen posted:

What are the current feelings on the OnePlus One?

I ordered one on impulse the other day, and was planning to cancel it for a Note 4 (maybe) but I forgot and the OPO just shipped. (I'm using an iPhone 6+ but thinking about going back to Android instead of iOS)

Never Settle for the One Plus One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Massasoit posted:

Any recommendations for a Bluetooth keyboard to use with a nexus 5? Is like to be able to take notes during meetings without lugging around a10 lbs laptop.

How about getting a lighter laptop?

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Skeezy posted:

Why the gently caress do they not just sell the phone outright at this point lol.

Because NEVER SETTLE for the status quo, maaaaaaan.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Samsung ditched microSDs for the S6, and Sandisk just announced a 200 GB microSD card.

Man, if only there were purposes for micro SD cards other than phones.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

This post has solidified the choice that I am NOT going to buy a Nexus 5 and shall pick up a 6. :v:

So are we talking Nexus S with Jellybean levels of bad?

I wouldn't say it's Nexus S levels.

I don't have nearly some of the extreme issues people have been describing, but there's enough people with similar issues that I won't dismiss them. My main complaints are just with battery life, it's just inexplicably bad sometimes. While some of it I can chalk up to being on T-Mobile inside brick buildings most of the day, it's bad even when I put it into airplane mode and turn on wifi. But when I'm at home, it's just fine.

I've also had some process go crazy and ramp the processor to max when I charge it, leaving me with only 50 or 60% on the battery when I wake up.

It's just enough of a bother to me to make me consider getting either the One M9 or S6 when they come out. I'm willing to deal with it as a backup device.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Removed in the sense that you can do it to repair or replace the battery.

I still wouldn't be surprised to find in a year that there's a some :spergin: who takes that way too far and is swapping batteries daily, or they made a cover that can be removed more easily.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

AT&T has HD Voice, but it's only available in "select markets." It might work with AT&T's implementation, but their coverage is nowhere near as complete as T-Mobile's or Verizon's.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Any predictions on when this will be pushed OTA? Much as I like to complain about the absolutely poo poo battery life, I'm still not hosed flashing the ROM.

It's already going out now, it's just that Google's staged rollout process means only a small number of people get it the first few days, with the number increasing until it hits a point of general availability for all.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

enojy posted:

The Galaxy s6 comes out in June, if you can wait, and don't mind the better-but-still-garish TouchWiz.

Oh man, will you be in for a surprise come this time next month.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

MC Hawking posted:

My nexus is developing some screen issues so I'm thinking about contracting in for a sgs6. Any word on pricing?

Nothing official on pricing in the US, but you can make some assumptions on the retail prices based on how much Canadian carriers are charging: $700-$750 for the S6 32GB and $800-$850 for the S6 Edge 32GB, with $100 for each step up in storage.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

You can just make a contact that you dump all the numbers you want to go straight to voicemail into, and you go to the overflow menu while in the edit contact screen you can check an option for "All calls to voicemail."

This is with default dialer and contacts from Google.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Barring any hidden screws under the feet they put on it, it looks like it separates along the ridge that you can see above the micro USB port, that runs along it on all sides.. You'll need a small flat object to wedge in there and pop it open - like a small flat-head screwdriver. Typically they use clips that snap in, so you have to be careful, or else you'll snap them off, and it doesn't close back up as tightly.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

actionjackson posted:

Yeah I already had installed it. The initial replies were just "look at the stupid icon." Anyway it may be worthless but I wanted to see for myself.

There wasn't any alternative suggestions given anyway. Just let it use too much battery life?

I would rather have my phone use too much battery life than install something that it's only purpose is to serve me advertising and tell me to do something that cripples the functionality of my phone (which you don't need the application to do in the first place!)

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

MC Hawking posted:

Take everything written in this thread with a gigantic grain of salt as most of the regular posters are in a never ending arms race to troll the poo poo out of each other with increasingly stupid word strings.

Go to a store. Fiddle with phones. Find whichever phone you like the best. Buy said phone.

But where's the part about defending your purchase on the Internet?

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Captain Yossarian posted:

Are you now or have you ever been a Cricket Wireless member? ;) Or have you searched for Cricket Wireless? That's why the Cricket cards kept coming up for me.

Yeah, they came up a lot for me when I was on Cricket Wireless, and continued for a while after I switched over to T-Mobile.

I just considered it their punishment for leaving.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

I just tried swiping "gently caress" and it put it right in.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Apparently the HTC One M8 is $300 from Best Buy.

I'm kind of tempted to get it, my Nexus 5 has been hard locking every other day, usually while I'm watching videos on the bus, and it's starting to piss me off. I've already tried a factory reset, and I feel I shouldn't have to unlock, root, and run some other ROM just to have my phone work.

How well has the One M8 held up after a year? It seems like an acceptable "sidegrade" to hold me over.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Cozmosis posted:

Still a very good phone except the camera - but still better than the Nexus 5 by far. Great battery life, quick, decent interface.

It is a long phone, but very well built and a good screen. And those speakers...

Yeah, I ended up ordering one. I figure at worst, I'll have a very solid backup phone for a very good price.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who's never had any problems with Android drivers on Windows.

I'd like to say 99% of the time I usually don't have issues.

That other 1% of the time? Makes me want to fastball the drat device against the wall.

Then again, the last time I had one of those cases was my Verizon Galaxy Nexus that had been traded around a few family members coming back to me for support. I was really close to just telling them "gently caress it, you're getting a Moto E on me."

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

this_is_hard posted:

:allears:

the turbo owner forums on Motorola's sites are going nuts, same with the turbo subreddit.

the 2013 moto x will get 5.1 before the Turbo does

As an outside observer, I just find it all hilarious.

I can only recall one fast release from Motorola (4.4 for the 2013 Moto X,) and now everybody expects it to be the norm. Did everyone forget the days of MotoBlur?

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

hooah posted:

Since this seems to be the go-to thread for Google things, is it no longer possible to view a panorama/photosphere in that mode at the photos website?

I think you can still use Google+ to view photospheres, but one I took last week I ended up posting to Google Maps Views to share publicly. This requires you to submit it to be potentially publicly viewable on Google Maps at a location with your name associated with it. I didn't care about that, since it was at Niagara Falls, but if you care about privacy for a photosphere, that is not the route to go.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Of course, at the price, the only ones left are the Windows Phone versions.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

At that price bracket, 2nd generation Moto E.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

this_is_hard posted:

Apparently the Turbo 5.1 update allows you to unlock the bootloader in dev options lol

That doesn't unlock the bootloader.

It needs to be checked before being able to run the fastboot oem unlock command. I imagine on a device like the Turbo, the bootloader is still quite locked.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

ilkhan posted:

Last I heard rumors say no new Nexus tablet this year.
Which really loving sucks as the last good Nexus tablet was the 2013 N7 and thats getting OOOLLLLDDDD.

Honestly, if they never made another tablet, I don't think I would even care. I think any direction Android had towards being a tablet-capable platform in Honeycomb/ICS was wiped out in Jellybean and Kit Kat, and is effectively dead on Lollipop.

I mean, I bought an Asus Transformer with Windows 8.1, and I think it works better as a tablet than my Nexus 7 ever did.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

Does the Nexus 6 have a magnetic cover sensor? I placed my N6 on top of my tablet for a second and the screen turned off.

The only thing I can think of is the magnets in the case...

I think so, there was a flip case available in the Google Store for a little bit, and it would be weird to have flip case that doesn't turn the screen on when you open it (though this is Google.)

r0ck0 posted:

Is the nexus 5 2015 going to have the 810 processor or something else?

Current rumors show it having an 808.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

grack posted:

If I may, I would like to sum up your post:

"I dropped my phone a ton of times and now it's not working and I don't know why."

This, you just want to blame some other factor other than yourself. A system update (the original Moto X went directly from 4.4.4 to 5.1, just so you know,) is just coincidental timing, and convenient for biases.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

grack posted:

Another phone related tragedy that could've been avoided with the judicious use of grip tape. WHEN WILL PEOPLE LEARN

We thought hotsauce was insane, but he was truly ahead of his time

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Mogomra posted:

Have fingerprint sensors gotten better all of a sudden? Every time I see them on a laptop or something, they're extremely poo poo. They seem to keep coming back every couple years, but they're always poo poo.

Yes, the fingerprint sensors on the iPhone and Galaxy S6 and Note 5 are good. No swiping garbage, just press your finger to it and it works.

If the Nexus uses that type of reader, it will be good.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

I just read that the Moto X Pure doesn't have an AMOLED screen. Doesn't that make Moto Display suck up battery life? Way to gently caress that one up, Lenovo.

Except most people with it will tell you it doesn't.

While the original concept of Moto Display took advantage of AMOLED screens, that wasn't all they did to ensure minimal battery impact.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

I must have the absolute latest version of Android on my phone and it is critical that I do because

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Shut up about sd cards.

The real issue with the Nexus line is non removable batteries.

I disagree, I think it's the lack of a hardware keyboard that is really holding the line back.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I just learned that, apparently, Marshmallow has support for visual voicemail.

I'm on AT&T with a Nexus 6P running Marshmallow. I do not see a visual voicemail tab in the dialer -- how do I enable it?

Now if only I could teach my parents to text me instead of leaving voicemails...

If you go into the dialer settings and go to Calls > Voicemail, there's a toggle for visual voicemail.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Rastor posted:

For those who felt the Priv didn't embrace the physical keyboard enough.

Because now it looks like there are physical navigation buttons :wtc:

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Captain Yossarian posted:

The source of this whole stupid rear end argument is basically "I heard..." AFAIK

Yeah, it started from a post that is an otherwise unverified iPhone rumor - something we won't have any real evidence of it happening until later next year.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Harik posted:

This is just awful.

I don't have a screenshot from my S3 since it got factory wiped, but it wasn't that bad. There needs to be a solution for things users actually want - for instance, if I want to get rid of that pinned notification the severe weather notifications are blocked too. I want to know if a tornado is coming! There's gotta be a better way.

Google Now will notify you of severe weather alerts. It will also give you weather information! And it doesn't look awful in your notifications.

Why are you duplicating existing functionality?

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Harik posted:

Because now does basically nothing I want in a weather app? I use it to pull up forecasts and hour-by-hour rain chances. Google now doesn't even put weather in any of my cards. Yes, I checked, weather updates are enabled, but I've never seen one in it.

It turns out that people who leave their basement care about the weather more than "is a storm going to knock out power later? I should heat up my poptarts now."

You mean forecasts like this?

Maybe if you look into enabling it some more, you'll be as productive as that stawman you made.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

peepsalot posted:

Any Nexus 5X users have a windshield phone mount they would recommend?

I just upgraded from a nexus 5 to 5x. I had been using this mount which worked great on the 5 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JRGOKQ8
But with the 5X the grip squeezes the volume button.

I got this mount last month and have been pretty happy with it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01780KZMW

It uses a magnet that you slip inside your case, and then you can just stick your phone to it. It's nice and convenient, though bumpy rides can cause it to get crooked.

If you don't have a case for your phone, they make one that comes with holder with a magnet on it that you can put your phone in: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K04C216/

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Syrinxx posted:

Don't worry I'm sure they will retire the 2 that are good and then remove features from the remaining one

Don't forget adding three more that offer varying coverage of features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

XIII posted:

No, he's right. I should just stop talking to the vast majority of people I know, simply because SMS/MMS are by far the most widely used messaging protocols in my country and, despite all of their issues, work well enough that most people don't see any reason to install another app.

I'm sure your friends are normal enough and use Facebook.