Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Hello thread, I have a question regarding my current phone:
I have a Nexus5x that I bought around 2015 or so (with the company 250$ cash back program and even then I believe I overspent). Lately I have observed a number of anomalies in its behaviour:
Spotify every now and then simply crashes. If I start Spotify and Google Maps, odds are very high that one of them would crash if not the entire phone reboots. If KDEConnect app is running, sometimes not even Google Maps is starting.

My question is: Are those apps that bloated nowadays that a Nexus5x phone is too small for them as it is and it completely brings it to its knees when 2 or more are running? Are those apps simply lovely and therefore them crashing left and right would be expected? Or is there something wrong with my device and maybe I should factory reset it? What's the most likely scenario here?

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

LG had to settle a class action lawsuit over the Nexus 5x, I'm surprised your phone hasn't already bricked itself. Replace it as soon as possible. Nokia 6.1 is the current mid-range king.

Oh, holy crap. WTF google, really? How can I buy a Pixel nowadays if that's the crap they pull on their own phones?

Mister Facetious posted:

Factory reset it, especially if you've never done it after a letter OS upgrade (L to M, M to N, etc.).
For comparison, the SD 625 and 660 are roughly equivalent to the 801 and 821, respectively. They're still generally fine for anything that doesn't need the GPU.

If it has less than 4gb ram, you should probably replace it anyway, cause it's going to kick stuff out repeatedly.

I've never done it. I suppose it can't hurt and then i can take it from there. Thanks.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Trip report of my Nexus 5X saga:

So I factory-reset it last Friday. Everything went fine and it did indeed feel a bit snappier for certain things. Spotify + Google maps in the car still a hit or miss. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Today however it rebooted out of the blue while playing music in the car. When I got home I saw that it was stuck in the dreaded infinite boot loop.

I followed online articles how to reset it and patch it with updated images. At the moment I'm looking at the drat thing trying to boot for the last 30 minutes (the animated shapes). So, I guess I'm in the market now for a new phone. I hate them all.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Switch to Spotify. It's what I did years ago and it's been almost great, no more google music garbage.

I switched to Spotify ever since I got a big enough data plan to cover whatever I would listen in the car during my commute. My problem with them has always been that after the selected playlist is over they simply do not know what to do and put same music on rotation. Regardless of what category I choose (Death metal, or Metal Classics, or plain old rock) after whatever is in there is done, they continue with pretty much the same songs. Great songs, but holy hell if I have to listen one more time to Manowar Kings of Metal I'll punch somebody in the face.
I do not know what's better and I do not have the space on my phone to put all my mp3's, but Spotify, to me, is just ugh, I guess I have to because the local radio stations are worse (I love Rush, but after listening to Tom Sawyer for 1 milion times, I really got sick of it).
I used to have the paid plan for Spotify for about a year, but I just gave up. The difference seems to be the commercials and I'll put up with them for $10/month.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

This setting should fix that:

That is on, the problem is with what they put. The same thing over and over again. Regardless of what I listen to (it's all in the rock, metal and up) , after that's done they're just, "hey for you we have these 100 songs, we know you like them, so we're just gonna put them for you over and over and over again". And it's just, ugh. Even when I go to the "discover weekly" or something, that's a 20-ish songs playlist with whatever is new around, when that's done, hey, here are those 100 songs we know you like.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's a lot more than that

Sure, but that's irrelevant if they put the same music over and over again. The features that they offer in the premium plan are of no value to me. Ad free is cool, but I put up with it for those $10. Unlimited skips does not interest me, 6 is usually fine. Listen offline ... If I'd had the space I wouldn't be using them now would I? Their entire value is on the streaming part. "Play any track" I have no idea what that is, I thought I can play any track in free mode as well, maybe I was wrong. "High quality audio" ... eh, I only use them in the car. It's fine, as the phone plans in canada are not that good for high quality. Yet.

explosivo posted:

I notice this too and wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong or what. Every time I do a shuffle on a band or song it repeats after not that many songs.

Maybe both of us are just holding it wrong.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I mean, okay, you seem pretty firm in your opinion, I don't feel the same. Good luck in finding the right service for you then. Also, my Canadian plan is unlimited data, throttled to 512kbps after 20GB. It's pretty good, so I'm not sure what plan threshold you need. With the ability to pin music offline, I hardly use any data for spotify streaming.

My canadian plan is 4GB of data, probably capped to $50 max overcharge if I remember correctly, but I am not sure about that. I use it fine and it fulfills all my needs, but I don't think that it would be able to support high quality music though. My beef with them is not about the payment thing. The paid features simply do not offer any value to me, so I don't pay. My beef with them is about the music they put after the playlist is over and that is not fixed on either premium or free. If it would be, I would certainly reconsider my subscription.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 16, 2020

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Can it save/restore during a factory reset?

It displays a QR code that supposedly one can use to transfer codes between devices. So I presume one can print that picture to restore codes between the same device.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I was browsing SA on the computer, like I usually do with my Pixel 3a on the desk. Everything was fine, the phone was charged as far as I could tell, nothing out of the ordinary. Yet, for some very very weird reason, rebooted and now it doesn't seem to be able to come back. I'm looking at the white screen with Google's logo and ... that's that. It's just a year and a half old phone, wtf? It has Android 11 now, if software is the issue.

edit: After I forcefully reset it, it came back alive. For now at least. Sigh, after the Nexus 5x boot-loop experience, this poo poo gives me the shivers, even if it's just a software bug.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 3, 2020

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Just got my new Pixel 5 (you guys with your excitement are to blame). Migrated from the other Pixel 3a, google authenticator imported just fine and other than a couple of apps that did not remember my account information (as far as I can tell some of them did) everything seems to be running smoothly. The only "issue" is that the notification "Pixel setup is in progress" doesn't wanna go away. Taping on it basically does nothing. Presumably a reboot would fix it.
The gestures, without the bottom buttons bar will require some getting used to, but for now I'm marching on.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
First "issue" with the new Pixel 5: My old magnetic cables do not work with Android Auto.
Had for over a year now a set of magnetic cables that I used for development (connected to my computer), Android Auto (in the car) and other places, without the need to pull out and plug in cables. Worked perfectly with Pixel 3a. With this one, on the computer works fine, transfers data, charges, all is good. But when plugged in the car ... silence. Connected a normal A to C cable, everything worked (paired it with the car and all).
Are there any magnetic cables that you guys know to work with Pixel 5 and with Android Auto?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

LastInLine posted:

They didn't do it for protection, they did it for notch/camera accommodation and rationalized that backward to clutter reduction. I agree in principle though.

Obviously correct, though the correct Googlely thing to do would be to have every device specify the amount of room it has and for the limit to adjust based on that while also taking into account the device status icons. It shouldn't be that hard.

And the Pixel Stand display does not. It will display at least six. Exactly what I'd expect from Google.

While I'm sure it's the cable somehow it's strange because the audio itself comes via Bluetooth when connected to AA.

What I meant by "silence" was: the phone doesn't even know that is connected, that is charging. Like the cable would not be attached. Android auto doesn't even start.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Ah. I'd at least swap the cable with the computer one that does work since you know it can work with the phone under the right circumstances. Either that cable type works or it doesn't, right?

Oh yes, that's what I ended up doing. But now I cannot use my magnetic cables, and that's a bummer. Plugging and unplugging poo poo like a peasant.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I have trouble on my fairly new Pixel 5 with the fingerprint scanner. It's been less than 6 months now and it sometimes (not all the time) just simply doesn't recognize it anymore. I'll have to try these suggestions to see if anything improves. Never had this problem on the Pixel 3 with over 2 years of use.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I think google broke their apps. I have a Pixel 5 with their latest and greatest OS, and for about few days now (less than a week), "Discover" won't refresh anymore. If I manually refresh it tells me that it cannot refresh right now. I cleared the cache and data of Google App and Google Play services and now it tells me that it cannot login into my account. If I change the account Discover is using it works fine. I can use the email just fine, I can backup (which by the way it just told me that it hasn't backed up anything in 6 days, most likely because it cannot log in, but I re-set it up and now it works), I can use GDrive, so it can login into my account, but discover is just broken. Maybe everything would work if I factory-reset but I hope I don't have to do that.

Anything else I can try before going medieval on it?

edit: So I reset the phone and the little poo poo still cannot connect with Discover. What a waste of time and bits.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 1, 2021

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Who sets, on a phone, the phone's timezone? The cellular network or the local NTP server? I'm asking because today, with DST, I saw that on my Android phone the clock didn't update, it was 1 hour behind. It is set to use network time, but it was also set to "Use network-provided timezone". Which was erroneously providing GMT-5 instead of the correct GMT-4. Setting it manually it's fine, it corrected the clock itself, but I wouldn't wanna have to do this again come November.
Is it a problem I need to fix on my network or is it the cell provider's issue?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I saw a bunch of people on the Pixel subreddit mentioning theirs didn't update. Mine did just fine, wonder what caused that?

Heh, so it was from Google itself. Just like my account not updating Discover, only to start working fine a week after (and after I factory reset the phone) or the maps in Android Auto not always displaying the route ... it is all just buggy software. I wonder if the fingerprint sensor working only sometimes could be just a software issue as well. Resetting it kinda made it better but not quite.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Speaking of Pixel repair: I think I finally fixed the fingerprint scanner on my phone. I have a Pixel 5 and the fingerprint scanner was always flaky. I followed the advice on this thread to re-calibrate it, I even factory-reset it once, it's just simply poo poo (either the sensor or the drivers or both). I found a reddit post where one guy suggested to put a transparent adhesive tape over it, and what do you know, for a couple of days now it's working flawlessly. Just like it did on my old pixel 3. I'll see if it lasts, but at least so far it behaves better than before after a few days. It can even recognize a sweaty finger, which it absolutely couldn't do before.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Security is overrated unless you're going onto sketchy sites and downloading random .apks or whatever.

The vast majority of phone usage is now under specific apps and unless you're clicking on random unsolicited facebook/whatsapp/instagram/whatever links you'll probably be fine holding onto an S9 for a few more years.

Not wrong, but also don't ever give payment (bank, CC, whatever money) information to your phone. Why risk it, why bother?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Ryuga Death posted:

I mainly just stick to the awful app and dedicated apps that are downloaded from the play store for stuff. I'll use the mobile browser to google basic things or read wiki articles.

Does this mean I shouldn't be using bank or payment (paypal, venmo etc) apps or do you mean like buying stuff on a website through the phone?

It doesn't mean anything. You do what you want. Personally, I definitely do not and never will add the bank app (and they email me about it every month), cc to the play store (it will be a cold day in hell when I'll spend a $ in there) or anything even remotely having to do with money. However, I am only an dumb developer, not a security expert. I do not value the convenience that any of those apps provide.

"But, how do you pay for X?" If X only allows payment through the phone, then I do not use X.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 15, 2022

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

butt dickus posted:

alternatively, gently caress any company who creates extra e-waste, plastics, shipping materials and consequently spends more on shipping to include a charging brick that nearly no one needs. a brick can be ordered with the phone or purchased at countless locations if you're one of the few people who doesn't already have one

You know, I'd agree with this if these companies would also come and say: We don't include a charger anymore, the phone is therefore $5 cheaper.
You know what? That is perfect. Instead, they say: "The price of the phone increased by $100, and now you don't have a charger (it's $50), because gently caress you, our CEO needs another yacht".

And that's why I personally dislike the move. Principle. Not that I would need a charger. Same thing with product shrinking over the years. Same (or higher) price, smaller box, less stuff.

But, alas, that ship has sailed so ...

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

butt dickus posted:

the phone in question (pixel 6) is $100 cheaper than the phone it replaced, try again

Touché. And to this I say: good for them. Regardless how much (if anything) the charger removal had to do with the price decrease, a lower price is always welcomed. If others who do this follow suit with a lower price too, then good for them too.
The company who originally started this was Apple (if i'm not mistaken) and there was no price reduction. The reason given (waste reduction, pollution, bla bla) it's all bullshit, they don't give a crap about that.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I got weary of googling random poo poo on my phone as it won't shut up about it. Once I wanted to find out if Brad Pitt won any Oscars. The "news" list just wouldn't stop telling me whenever Brad Pitt did ... anything. I just wanted, once, to find out something. I do not care what he wears, who he broke up with or what he ate for breakfast. Really. It got really weird.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

BabyFur Denny posted:

it takes two taps to tell google you are not interested in Brad Pitt.

Yes, but then it follows with other celebrities. It's not like it runs out of them. And sometimes I clicked by mistake on some item and bam, here we go again with some other "poo poo i may be interested in". Then I disabled some settings that I believed were causing it to give me personalized stuff. But then it just gave 3 important news and the rest were basically gossip. Celebrities and sports. The most inconsequential poo poo ever, so after few months I just turned on the personalized stuff again since it was just stupid.

It's ... ugh, whatever, I gave up.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

codo27 posted:

Its utterly tragic that something as ubiquitous as phones has no truly great options like virtually all other consumer electronic mediums. You can go into the HDTV thread and get recommended a consensus TV for your use case easily. Speakers, computers. Phones? You cant get poo poo, especially for a decent price because the dumb public thinks the slave labor produced iphone is a premium status symbol and other manufacturers dare not deviate from their example if they've any hope to capture any sort of worthwhile market share.

Now of course there was Huawei who made great phones in our experience so they had to be singled out and removed from the western market as if literally every single internet connected device we use isn't actively and aggressively documenting every digital move we make.

I long for the day where phones, smart phones, are basically disposable devices. Not status symbols. Not even relevant in one's accessory list, just something that one has for communication while on the go. Then again, I also wish I wouldn't have to have a smart phone, but that ship has sailed 15 years ago and in today's world is pretty much a mandatory piece of equipment.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CordlessPen posted:

Outside of high school, I can't imagine anyone caring about phones as a status symbol. Maybe techies would care about a foldable, but I'm thoroughly middle-class and everyone around me has an iPhone or equally-priced flagship and nobody cares.

Ironically, I think (and I may very well be wrong) that the iPhone lost its status symbol as it became better. I remember the first gen having a lovely camera, no 3G and no app store so you really were showing off that you could afford to blow 500$ on something that did the same thing as a Razr and a cheaper iPod. Now iPhones are great phones, but they're so great that everyone has to have one, and everyone does.

Well, not everyone does. And mainly because, as far as I know, in order to fully be able to use an iPhone one would kinda need a Mac as they really integrate well within that ecosystem. And, one absolutely needs a Mac to write a program for said phone as well. And I am not buying a Mac since I had to use one for work and that UI was created by UX designers on crack. Dunno who likes that ugly monstrosity, but I refuse to use that junk. The OS is fine, the UI is what kills it.

And since, as far as I know, there's no way to connect an iPhone to a linux computer to transfer files (pictures for example), that makes it a non-starter. I am lucky that my son (who is a teenager now) lost his apple appetite around age 10 when an iPod that he had just refused to function one day and seems to be happy with the android phones he had so far so he didn't ask for Apple stuff.

edit: I would, however, buy him an Apple phone if he wanted to and he knows this as I told him. I wouldn't want him to feel marginalized in his peer group if everyone is using them, however dumb that may be.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 21, 2022

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

sourdough posted:

You don't need a Mac to use an iPhone and you don't need to plug your phone into a computer for anything

How do you transfer files to a computer from the phone? Just out of curiosity. And how do you write a program for it without a Mac? Do they have linux SDK?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

what do you think is the percentage of people buying phones based on their ability to write programs for

I'm not quite sure how is that relevant. I'm just stating my reasons. For me that's extremely important.

5TonsOfFlax posted:

I imagine one of the many cloud services/backups would work to transfer files. Not iCloud though, obviously that's Apple only.

Ah, so people without Macs basically do not connect their phones to the computer then at all? And transfer files ... some other way (if at all)?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Hold up, are you the one from the iPhone thread a few months ago that had this exact same conversation? And caused many of us to not understand why you didn’t understand cloud services?

Since I don't use an iPhone I do not frequent iphone threads. So no. I understand cloud services, but I prefer to store the files from the phone on the computer. Just because google offers to back them up in its cloud doesn't mean that I don't want them on my computer too. They can rescind that offer any time they wake up on the wrong side of the bed. I do back them up on B2 though, so no, there not just on my computer (in addition to google's service).

But if you people say that you don't (and nobody does) well ... that's that I guess. Good for you. For me is an important function of a smart phone, the computer connectivity. I guess since nobody else wants it is why Apple never bothered with it, and that's fine for them.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 21, 2022

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

For the record, if I connect my work iPhone to a computer I can transfer files, too, so AFAICT it's not a problem there, either.

So why did people say that you can't? Can you connect it to a linux machine and copy files to and from? If it's possible then my understanding was wrong.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Well, it works on Windows, but I just tried connecting it to my Linux desktop and the iPhone just shows up as a camera and I can't do anything with it. I'm not going to troubleshoot any farther, though, because I have no reason to transfer files to or from my work iPhone, and if for some reason I did then I'd just use Windows. The only reason I use an iPhone at all is because that's what I was supplied with from work. My own phones are Android for a reason.

Oh, still an advancement. Many years ago they had that stupid software that one had to use even on Windows to access files. That was quite a terrible program.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

BabyFur Denny posted:

Why does anyone still need to transfer files to and from their phone? Photos and videos are on Google photos. Documents on Google drive. Music on Spotify. I'm ready for phones with no holes at all.

Because I download a file. It's on my computer. 2GB in size. And I need it on my phone (to watch it later, maybe when I'm in a place that doesn't have wifi and because I'm not willing to consume my data plan for that). Now, I have two options:

1. Open up the browser, sign in into google, go to google drive and upload said file there only to download it again on my phone
2. Plug the usb cable into the phone and copy it over. 5 seconds flat.

I mean, even if option #2 wouldn't be faster (which it is), it's the freaking principle of it. To send it to all the way to google's servers just to get it back only to delete it from google's servers afterwards it's just silly. To put it mildly.
So yes, that's why some people (there's dozens of us) need to transfer files between their phones and their computer. If you don't ... more power to you. For me that's a dealbreaker when it comes to a phone brand. I need it to be quick, painless and to work with my existing computers.

Saukkis posted:

Just because you use cloud doesn't require completely relying on the companies. For ages my method for the phone pictures has been to let Dropbox sync them from the phone to the cloud and then have the Dropbox app sync them from the cloud to my computer. It causes some delay from the syncs, but unless I need the picture immediately they are already on my computer.

Some of these days I'll setup a Nextcloud service on my home server and skip the middle man. Any day now. I promise.

For ages my method was to copy the images/videos from the phone to the computer, to the NAS and from there a cron job copies them to B2. Why? Because they're easily accessible from the NAS and my wife wants to look at them every now and then.
Now, you may ask: But why didn't you install tool X or Y or Z and then have who knows what benefit? Because opening up a file manager in Windows or Linux and navigating to a folder to look at some pictures it's as easy as it gets and I have no interest in making it any more complicated. To put it simply: It works for me and my family and I have no desire to change that. B2 costs cents per month.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 22, 2022

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

BabyFur Denny posted:

Eh you don't need to use the browser, just move the file from the download directory to the Google drive directory on your computer. Definitely way faster than looking for your phone and plugging it in and copying it over.

I did not setup the fuse gdrive mount on my computer since I never felt the need to. Still, the same concept applies: uploading to gdrive to download to the phone to delete from gdrive vs simple copy over usb. Not only it's faster, just the wastefulness of such a process makes me shudder. Traffic for traffic's sake. Time wasted for no reason at all.

Now that I'm thinking about it, as it looks like most people do not care for such a capability, they may even come in the future with the usb port removed completely: wireless charger, upload to cloud if you want files, etc. And oh, buy a development kit if you want to make programs for the device, like consoles do. And it may work, since nobody will give a poo poo. Sad day for everyone, even for the most die hard fans since it will inevitably mean an even higher entry barrier for developers.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Quixzlizx posted:

You can wirelessly connect your phone to your computer without using cloud services.

Yes, I already do that with KDE Connect. Still faster to transfer files over a cable. I mean ... the only reason to not use an USB cable that I can see is stubbornness . Which is why this is so baffling. There is a simple and fast solution, but folks have figured out the most convoluted and round-about poo poo to not do it. But, whatever, you do you.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Quixzlizx posted:

To me, it's more convoluted to move my phone next to a computer and plug a cable into both than it is to just transfer the files wirelessly.

My phone is always on the desk where my computer is, since that's where I am all the time. The cables are also on the desk since I need a bunch of them for various crap that I have to plug in (little projects that I have on the go all the time, from arduino to all kinds of boards) and work on. It'd be quite the hassle to do it any other way.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I will not be sad at all when this day comes.

While I do not know the future, my expectation would be for when that day comes that lone developers for the platform will pretty much cease to exist at that point. All there'll be left would be the studios, and big corporations. While the lone developers do make a lot of crap, there are always gems to be found, applications that otherwise would not exist if the entry barrier would be higher. And you'll have less choice. And all the games (for example) will be like this one . And I think you will indeed be sad. In time.

Or, who knows, maybe then another platform will appear that will be more open and standardized that will eat the lunch of the big boys.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Quixzlizx posted:

My point is that your nerdy use case is in the small minority, so your befuddled condescension is amusing.

It may be the small minority, but it is my use case. And that means that I will not be using a phone that makes this use case impossible. If that means that in 5 years I cannot use the latest and greatest gadget then that'd be perfectly fine. And this is also why I am not and have not ever considered an iPhone. I am not condescending anyone, it all started with the ... "but iPhone" discussion, to which I only stated my reasons for not using one. You, and others, seem to be surprised that someone is still using USB cables in TYOOL 2022, and how dare they not take the round about path.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Why does this thread attract such weirdos

These are the android users (there's dozens of us). I am not even remotely curious on the weirdos that are crawling the iPhone thread, if there's one.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I live in Canada where our cell plan prices are insane. Highway robbery. So no, I am not using my data plan to watch a movie that I can put on the phone. Doesn't matter how I got that movie, streaming while not on wifi is not an option.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Plex lets you pin/save movies and stuff locally, no internet connection required. Just like Netflix, Prime, etc. No one anywhere expects you to watch a movie streamed over cellular internet.

Sure. Or you know .. copy them on the phone and never bother with any other service/plex install.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

BabyFur Denny posted:

you can do that but I don't think you can convince anyone else to follow your archaic ways

Not even trying to. Just saying what I do. VLC works amazingly well on android, but hey, you don't have to use it. If you like plex/netflix/whatever and absolutely hate touching a cable with a 10 foot pole, well then, who am I to judge? I'm just a weirdo on a comedy forum (full of very nice and level headed people).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

BabyFur Denny posted:

Those goalposts moved a lot from "it will be a sad day for everyone"

Well now, would you mind going back and actually reading what I wrote? Let me repeat it for you: It will be a sad day for everyone when the phone makers will only allow people to develop for their devices via specially made development kits, as it will raise the entry barrier for a developer and basically limit the development of new applications to studios and big corporations. And you, the user, will have to suffer since there will be fewer and shittier applications to choose from. Look at what the mighty Activision+Blizzard are offering today. On mobile. Imagine a world where that's all that will be.

Now, I never said what you should be using. It was simply a reply to the mod of these forums who said that it will be a great day when no device will even have a usb port. At all. (they do have wifi-only development on android, but it sucks donkey balls)

No idea why i bothered to type this, since you didn't read the original post and obviously won't read this either.