Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Protocol7 posted:

The thing won't turn on or show any signs of life when plugged in, so we're just going to hope Sprint will do something about it. (Probably not, but Best Buy has used iPhones for a hundred bucks, which will do...)

I know that phones are sort of a required thing when leaving the house now, but you didn't leave it in the drying environment for very long. I've heard 2+ days is often recommended while your posts are 16 hours apart. It may just need more time before you mess with it since it really takes a while for water to get out of enclosed areas.

Sprint probably won't do anything since it's user error but if you're heading out for a new phone already I guess it's a moot point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

annapacketstormaya posted:

So I broke my N4 screen and it no longer responds to any screen input. Is there any way to get data off it through ADB if it was encrypted?

Do you have a USB OTG cable and a USB mouse spare?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BlackMK4 posted:

Is it possible to use the memory of a phone with a dead screen as the base for an Android emulator? I need to get a passcode out of an app on a phone with a screen that doesn't work at all.

edit: droid@screen works but I don't have adb access. Trying to figure out how to do that on a stock S3 with no working screen.

I'd consider getting an mhl cable and hook it up to HDMI monitor if the digitizer is still working:
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters%C2%AE-Adapter-integrated-Charging/dp/B00ESM3Q7K/

If the digitizer isn't working you might need a USB OTG cable to plug in a mouse also, although I don't know if the phone will do both mhl and usb otg at the same time, I'm sure there's information about it online.

This one apparently does MHL and OTG at the same time and seems compatible with the S3, but there may be others that are cheaper:
http://www.amazon.com/WEme-Multimedia-Charging-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B00OJX6DY6/

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 27, 2015

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Unless it's Google Voice Typing, it's not loaded by default on this thing.

Just go to the play store and grab it:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.inputmethod.latin

There's other keyboards that have had a lot of chatter in the last couple of pages as well.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

IuniusBrutus posted:

Has anyone had any bluetooth issues with a 2013 Moto X? I'm on 5.1 right now, but have had issues with 4.4.4 as well.

It mostly occurs with my Pebble Steel, but also happens with my bluetooth speaker, as well as my car head unit. Happened with my old Pebble as well. Usually requires the device to be restarted, though sometimes it requires bluetooth to be cycled on the phone as well.

Is bluetooth on Android still just totaled hosed? Or did Motorola in particular put poor hardware/drivers in their phones?

I get very occasional issues where bluetooth will just stop working until I restart the phone. It seems to happen every 2 or 3 weeks and I keep my metawatch paired to it 24/7. I'm still on 4.4.4 because of Republic Wireless.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I have a moto x that was running android 4.2 or 4.3. My fiance scanned a qr code on a co-worker's shirt and from the fact there are now a poo poo ton of pictures and videos on it plus a picture of a stupid guy fawkes mask I'm pretty sure she was hacked. Problem - shortly after she came home I could no longer turn my phone on. I thought maybe it wasn't charged or I had left it unlocked in my pocket. Holding the power button does nothing. I left it on the charger for thirty minutes and tried again - nothing. The battery of course is non user serviceable so I don't have the tools to remove it. I can use an amp-meter to see that it is drawing charge from the charger... Is there another way to reset it besides the power button?

Say the malware on her phone found it on our network and tried to remotely exploit it - could it have bricked my phone or did it just break at a coincidental time? Is there anyway to un-brick it if it were malware related?

Sounds wild because who would ever scan a QR code, ever, but maybe you got hit by this?
http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs-security-intelligence/trend-micro-discovers-vulnerability-that-renders-android-devices-silent/

Maybe ask the coworker to unfuck your phone if he's wearing a link to an android exploit on his shirt or something.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

FAUXTON posted:

Everyone shattering their old moto phones so close to the new X launch seems like moto designed phones that will just swan dive into the sidewalk as a planned obsolescence roadmap.

My 2013 Moto X is still intact for now. Unfortunately I have republic wireless so it's still on 4.4.4. I was playing around with Lollipop on my nexus 7 tablet 9 months ago. Babies are born faster than android upgrades are implemented.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SouthLAnd posted:

The Motorola Nexus 6 is $199 on Amazon right now. And I just bought one because between the current Moto X PE and Nexus 6P, I could not for the life of me choose between the two. And, wanting a big screen phone, I figured this will hold me over for 8-12 months until the next great Android comes out. Also, I'm slightly intoxicated and can't help but shop on the internet at 3am on Black Friday.

Well, I like my 2013 Moto X but now I have a hugephone on the way. Guess I better start letting out my pants pockets.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

mobby_6kl posted:

Is there any way to get a KitKat phone to shut up about updates? I recall that there used to be a way to enable/disable it or check manually but can't find the options now anywhere.

Now it just tries to download it every time I'm on wifi, then I either cancel it, it fails because of lack of space, or successfully downloads and asks to start installation. It's super annoying and ruins the battery life and traffic allowance on my company phone when I'm using it as a hotspot.

You can open up the play store and hit the menu button and in the settings there's disable updates, set it to update only on wifi, or set it to update anytime. You can also go to each app you have installed in My Apps and hit the menu button to disable automatic update checks on a per app basis. If you have something stubborn you can always go to the main phone settings -> apps and disable the google play store, but that tends to be extreme.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ilkhan posted:

6.0.1 hosed up my BT stability, I've dropped the connection to my car several times already. Sad ilkhan.

That's weird, it actually fixed it for my nexus 6, with 6.0 it would drop and reconnect every so often (maybe every 30 mintues) but 6.0.1 seems to have fixed it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That looks nice as hell and I barely count as an 80s kid, no idea what you're talking about.

He's talking about the 70s being peak "wood paneling on everything" like:

But I don't think that the phone cases are that absurd.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Depths posted:

Why are peeps here saying not to buy a oneplus phone while recommending the latest Samsung? I genuinely want to know

If people are going to make a mistake they're going to make the most expensive mistake.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Just make your own weird looking phone case with hot glue. This really one-ups the grip tape:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxjRcyfRjkg

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Which new messaging app will let me idle on IRC like I've been doing for 20 years? None? Pass.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

As long as you're cool with preinstalled spyware.

At least they put 256GB of flash and 6GB of RAM in it. You probably won't even notice all the spyware running in the background!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hadlock posted:

Blergh, my 5X just got the dreaded boot loop, about 300 miles from my airport, on vacation

I bought my phone new from Ebay, will I still qualify for the LG refund?

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/nexus-5x-lg-refunds/

More blerg: I'm on Project Fi so I can't just swap in the SIM for another phone, can I? Am I really phoneless for two weeks until I return home?

This really screws me, I depend on my phone for uber (don't own a car) and work, as an alarm clock etc etc. The 128gb Nexus 5 Pixel won't even ship until the 28th if I want it in silver, Jan 4th if I want it in black.

You can use your project fi sim in a phone with T-Mobile support, it will just be locked to only using that network and you're not "supposed" to do it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hadlock posted:

Does it need to be an unlocked tmobile phone or can it be a locked one that I pick up at best buy or something and swap in the SIM?

Going to go ahead and order a 128GB Nexus 5 Pixel (offline Netflix VR!) but won't arrive until first or second week of January :( Will need something in the mean time

Or maybe I can pick up a Moto G4 temporarily unlocked from Fry's or something? What's the best option here. Blergh, I have an old Moto G 2nd gen just sitting at home, but it's in the wrong state.

I'm honestly not sure if a locked t-mobile phone will work. I'd guess not due to sprint mnvo's not allowing their phones to be used on other sprint mnvo's, but don't know for certain since this is a similar situation but not exactly the same. An unlocked phone will probably be the best bet, and the G4 play is pretty snappy if you want to go that way..

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

nigga crab pollock posted:

i have a first gen moto X and i am all of a sudden having weird issues

it changed the lockscreen on me? kind of? if i double click on a notification and the lock pattern shows up it will unlock but if i go into system the same pattern won't let me change the pattern. and if i use the lock screen normally it also tells me it's invalid using the same pattern

it's also re-compiling all of the apps every time i turn it off and on. i did a factory reset in the (stock) bootloader but it still says i have the same number of apps so im not sure it did that right

i swear if its some sort of software dead switch im going to be upset because the spare phone i have is a 2013 moto g :negative:

It's possible that the flash storage is dying. I've killed a few cheap phones doing Perk and other earning services that seem to write data to the phone 24/7 in a year or two. Usually they exhibit weird behavior like you described for a while and if they can keep running they'll eventually have a failure on boot due to the file system corrupting.

Sometimes a factory reset will get them working normally for a while longer, but if they're about out of flash writes then the reset will make it worse or never complete.

You should definitely back up anything important because it could die anytime.

On some Moto G phones I wore out the flash on, I was able to get replacement main boards on eBay for $7. The Moto x is a little harder to work on but it's not impossible if you love the phone to find parts and swap it out. It'll be a new phone except for case, screen, battery, etc though so you should consider if it's worth the effort versus long for a replacement.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm not sure of any app to check the flash writes and lifespan. You could try shopping eBay for cracked screen phones to disassemble but you never know the full extent of the damage on those.

It's probably time to shop for a new phone. The Moto G4 play is pretty inexpensive, or the Nexus 5X. If money is no object, get a pixel.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 1, 2017

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

nigga crab pollock posted:

well it's turned back on but for some reason i don't have mobile data. weird. i double-checked the apn too and made sure my account wasn't lapsed or anything

i'm probably gonna buy a 5x off of one of my friends but i at least want like a half functional phone until i get it

it's kind of weird that it died suddenly with no prior indicators of failure though

You could try reinstalling the sim card, although I thought you'd usually have a notification if it had sim card issues. If the flash is really going then it will just act all weird and hosed up until it dies, though.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Looten Plunder posted:

Is there an easy way I can use my Nexus 10 as a nanny cam type thing and access it via my Nexus 5X while I'm out?

I've used these apps before:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pas.webcam&hl=en
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ivuu

I've only used them on my LAN so you'd have to do some port forwarding to use them remotely but I think there may be other related apps that have a cloud based access platform. Some comments in the ip webcam app reviews suggest using https://www.ivideon.com/ as cloud remote access for that app. I haven't tried it myself but there you go.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Paul MaudDib posted:

What's a good overall phone with the best camera around (particularly low-light)? Still Google Pixel?

What's the cheapest thing with tolerable performance and good battery life, unlocked?

The Pixel seems to be rated the best camera at most review sites. For tolerable performance on a budget I'd look at a Moto G4 Play for about a hundred bucks (amazon with offers unlocked).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I apologize if this is the wrong place for this but after dinner tonight I went to turn on my Nexus 6 and it was in bootloader mode. I can't imagine why as I've never fiddled with rooting or anything and haven't installed anything in weeks.

So now I just have a green "Start" in the center with the following text.

AP Fastboot Flash Mode (Secure)
BI: moto-apq8084-72.01 (....)
Baseband:
Product/Variant: shamu XT11103 32GB P3A0
Serial Number: XXXXXX
CPU: .....
eMMC: 32GB .....
DRAM: 3072MB .....
Console [NULL]: null
Battery OK (charging)
Device is UNLOCKED. Status Code: 3

If I tab over to bootlogs I get:

failed to validate boot image: ret=-1
Boot up failed

I tried reflashing to factory settings with WugFresh but I can't confirm I did the steps right. I don't care about data or settings; I just want the phone back. Any advice before I go to a repair store? Thanks in advance.

I've had that happen with phones where the flash memory gets corrupted. Usually the phone starts to act up first with normal background processes crashing and after a while rebooting will hang and eventually give that error which indicates the boot partition is corrupt. You can hope that flashing it again will fix it but usually it means that the hardware is failing or about to fail. I've killed some LG Exceeds, ZTE $10 poo poo phones and some Moto G and E's (usually after 1-2 years of continuous earning apps).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Amazon's got the Moto G5 Plus at $179.99 for Prime day with special offers. It's the 64GB model with 4GB of RAM so that seems pretty decent if you're not spending the big bucks on a pixel or saving the big bucks for a pixel 2.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Is the Essential the first phone of this company? Yes? Then wait for their second phone.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

havent heard a peep posted:

So I finally spiderweb cracked the glass screen on this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LEL8ABY/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

I'm looking for a replacement "screen & digitizer" but I'm seeing poo poo in the range of XT1650-01 : XT1650-05 between $107-140

I posted an info request on amazon.com but I'm looking for help so I can order/ fix this thing before next week.

I'm not exactly sure what you need from your post, but those prices look normal. iFixit stocks the screen and digitizer. Unfortunately they don't have a teardown or replacement guide for that phone yet:
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Parts/Moto-Z-LCD-Screen-and-Digitizer/IF368-000-1

However there is a guide on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3R8Y8Sl_-8

$100-140 bucks is normal pricing for a screen with digitizer. You'll also need a heat gun (don't blast the phone, just get it warm like in the video) and some spudgers and other cell phone repair prying tools.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Picture in picture? Wow, 1980s tv technology in my smartphone. Well, not my smartphone because the nexus 6 doesn't get it but hey. Guess I'm stuck with boring old screen splitting.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

spog posted:

So I sorted out my 1st gen Moto G with a busted screen: buying a new screen was £30+postage, so buying a used phone for £35 in shipping was a no brainer: same price and I wouldn't have to fart about swapping out a screen which is always a pain in the neck.

New phone was fine...except the battery life was shite: so, pull the good battery from my old phone and swap it into the new phone.

Except now the SIM won't work in the new phone - did I break the card when swapping it over? Nope. The pins in the new phone are now busted (no idea how)

So....today I learnt how to do a screen swap after all and have my old motherboard, the new used screen, an old new battery and a new new cover.

Yeah the first gen Moto G and Moto E are pretty easy to work on. I've killed the internal flash in a few of them using them for earning apps so buying refurbished mainboards or cracked screen phones for $5-7 and switching parts around to get a working phone is a good cost saving over buying a new prepaid phone for 20 bucks or whatever. I just swapped a Moto E battery from a smashed phone that was in good shape into one of my earning phones that was all puffed up from overcharging. I don't carry them around so I just put around 6 of the T5 screws back in when I'm done.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Why would you need a glass back for Qi charging? My Nexus 6 is on its Qi charger right now:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

That's a shame. Hopefully they'll go on sale at some point and be worthwhile at $200-250.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Flipperwaldt posted:

what the gently caress

Three thousand thousandths of an amp hour!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mr. Despair posted:

I still have a bionic and it's lapdock from that era, that thing was so painfully slow (tough as nails though).

It really confuses me when I see samsung trying to bring back this sorta poo poo, even if the phones are probably fast enough now.

The lapdock is neat for hooking up raspberry pis or whatever, but you have to get a couple of cables and adapters. Windows PCs recognize the monitor and kb/mouse.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mental Hospitality posted:

I don't know if some server in China recorded all my tweets or drunk texts, but my Mate 9 was a genuinely awesome phone that could easily stand on its own in 2018 due to it's insane battery life, fingerprint scanner speed, general lag free performance, and Bluetooth that managed to work better than my Pixel 2XL. The screen was nice and non-color shifty as well.

Post approved by Chinese government operatives.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

PerrineClostermann posted:

The eye can only see 60fps, too.

Maybe you should upgrade to 144hz or 240hz eyes, friend.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I got a refurbished Pixel 1 from woot a month or so back for $325 and it had almost no signs of wear. I am concerned about the lack of warranty support but if something breaks I'll probably just fix it myself.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SpookyLizard posted:

I wouldn't say i exactly want a flagship phone as much as something that's either inherently less bloated with the features id like (sd and battery) or something that's easy enough to flash los or another rom onto. I'm not in need of buying a new phone, so I'm gonna take time and do my research,

OnePlus is still making garbage fires, i assume? Last time i came around here i think that was the thread title.

Yep.
https://www.google.com/search?q=oneplus+security+concerns

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

My new phone comes with a ergonomic rolling charging device. Lots of power.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I looked into ICQ a few years back and it's been bought by mail.ru who wants a bunch of personal information to secure your account. RIP.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Careful Drums posted:

isn't Huawei the company that's no longer allowed to sell phones in the u.s. because the government can't be sure they're not loaded with Chinese spyware?

No, their phones are for sale. Intelligence organizations have suggested not to use them.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/14/17011246/huawei-phones-safe-us-intelligence-chief-fears

Also, they may also have sold to Iran:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/huawei-under-criminal-investigation-over-iran-sanctions-1524663728

But you can buy this forbidden fruit right now:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...ASABEgLV2PD_BwE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

mango sentinel posted:

My Moto Z battery is super hosed and I'm down to like 30 minutes max screen on time and it will just auto shut down if I try to open the camera while below 50% battery. No app seems to be draining it especially fast and trying a full drain/recharge to recalibrate the battery did nothing. The battery life was never great and I've had the phone for a while but the dropoff from being dead halfway through the day, and being dead after breakfast was incredibly quick. Am I just stuck getting the battery replaced?

Yeah. Here's how to do it if you don't mind taking apart your stuff:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Moto+Z+Battery+Replacement/103206

Otherwise I'd just find a cell phone shop that has or can get moto z batteries and have them replace it.