Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

How are you liking the 5X over the N5? I'm still on the N4 but these new Pixel's ain't looking appealing for the price.

I went from the N5 to the 5X. It's a solid upgrade and the 5X is very high quality for its steal of a price. It'll be an enormous upgrade from an N4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

I was holding onto my Moto X 2013 developers edition hoping the Pixel would be terrific but it looks like the overall reaction is... meh?

Guess it's the 5X? What are the downsides, I hear the camera isn't great but I already have a Moto and am used to lousy cameras.

5X camera is great. It uses the same one as the 6P.

E: Never had battery issues with my 5X either. I don't push it super hard e.g. games or weird battery killers like facebook, but I use it fairly heavily throughout the day for messaging/browsing and its usually still ~50% when I go to bed. I've had it for like 6 months and I've never gotten worried that I'm going to run out of battery, and I only charge it at night, so no boosts during the day.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

LastInLine posted:

Counterpoint: The Venn diagram of people who care that much about the total user experience, people who prefer Android, people with the money to spend that a Pixel costs, and people who know that the Pixel exists is so small as to be nonexistent.

I'm not sure I agree. I know a lot of iOS users who are sick of having an iPhone and the various forms of baggage that come with it, but don't want to switch to Android cause it "feels" wrong. Obviously this is a pretty hard to pin down criticism, but touch responsiveness is a big deal that will definitely make a big subconscious difference without being easily identifiable. Other things that iOS has always done better include faster storage, massively better memory architecture, snappier higher-quality camera, and consistent performance. It sounds like these are the things that Google is starting to tackle head on.

The other obvious criticism of android as an ecosystem is that it's cheap or tacky. Cheap is obvious, there's a billion old poo poo Android devices, and I think tacky is obvious too - Samsung utterly dominates the Android market, mostly for obvious reasons. They produce fantastic hardware that's fast and durable and lasting (note7 joke here), but they load their phones with astonishing loads of bullshit. It's tacky, poorly put together, and needlessly fragmenting and confusing. This is where the tacky feeling comes from. Of course most OEM's do this but Samsung is the big player, and by far the worst offender.

If there's a true Android flagship that can take all these criticisms and fix them (Nexus devices were never true flagships), even if its sales are dwarved by Samsung, it'll properly highlight what Android is supposed to be like, and give those people on the edge of switching a reason to. I'm not sure how many people I could convince to take the huge price, but if it goes on sale for ~$500 I know several lifetime iPhone users who would be ready to switch.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mr. Powers posted:

If it goes on sale for $500, I think a lot of people complaining about it would buy one. I don't think anyone is saying it's a bad phone, and it's great that Google is starting to polish Android, but with the leaked price, I think most people were expecting something more significant than polish.

I mostly agree, but polish sounds bad in a press event and on spec sheets, but means a ton when it's in your hand. I'm not gonna say it'll be incredible because I don't know, but I expect reviews when the device is actually release to be far more positive than initial event reactions.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Y'all would have mocked iOS users for saying poo poo like "intangibles matter" in the past, and talked about the Reality Distortion Field.

I don't say that to be smug or anything, but rather to point out just how far discussion of Android seems to have shifted from where it was 7 years ago when Verizon was airing commercials trumpeting the first Droid. It's been fascinating over the years to watch the most vocal criticisms of iOS (no SD cards, no removable batteries, Walled Garden, etc.) be homogenized with (stock, at least) Android. Google doesn't care about removable batteries or SD cards, they've moved more core functionality into Play services which they own, rooting is now mocked, etc.

It's just interesting to see how priorities seem to change, keeping in mind that this thread's desires don't necessarily reflect the average consumer.

A lot of those are symptoms of just the technology progressing, though. Early smartphones were hell without SD cards and removable batteries - internal storage was tiny and there was a much greater need for storage before we have the ease of cloud access like we do today. And of course batteries are far better now - even though consumption has gone way up batteries in general have outpaced it. Your smartphone charge is gonna last a lot longer now than it did ~6 years ago. To the average user, this stuff doesn't need to be included anymore. And "intangibles" have always been important. I've been an Android user since the early days and have always preferred it, but it's silly to turn a blind eye to its weaknesses - these are issues that have plagued its acceptance and overall quality for the entirety of its life. We can safely say we like Android and strongly prefer it while still acknowledging and pointing out that it has a lot of pitfalls. And indeed that's necessary, because without criticizing them they won't get improved upon as quickly.

As for the "walled garden" stuff... eh. I've always thought it was lame to need to root or deeply customize a device to have a good experience. And as a developer I pray for more homogenization. And open platform is cool but fragmentation is a huge downside and sucks hard for developers and users alike. Massively inconsistent experiences and poo poo OEM software and slow (or non-existant) update cycles plague the platform from usability and security standpoint and have needed to be directly taken on by Google for a long time.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I might be okay with not having a notification light if ambient display wasn't hot garbage. Notification lights forever they're the best.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

5436 posted:

Does anyone elses phone get ridiculously janky after 3-6 months of use? My snapchat basically doesn't work, it is so slow and buggy now it cannot take video and lags by seconds on photos. Even scrolling websites can be unpredictable, sometimes its fine, sometimes the delay in scroll is very noticeable. I have a Nexus 6P. I know if I did a factory reset everything would be snappy but I've noticed this problem across phones. After ~6 months things just slow down.

This isn't really an answer, but Snapchat is basically the worst android app ever created and will lag the gently caress out of even the best phones because the developers have never heard of threading.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The iPhone app also does that.

jesus christ that's unbelievable. A novice developer can hook into the camera API to do custom handling on both ios and android with very little effort.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

RZA Encryption posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they did it that way so there would be considerably fewer image types they get back (Colorspace, format, etc.), as it would be handled consistently by the OS.

On Android at least, you can always get back a bitmap which is just a raw image. You can do whatever the gently caress you want with on literally any android device including the very oldest ones that existed. There really is no excuse for that.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

withoutclass posted:

Eh, when you start to factor in all the different hardware like dual cameras, different supported resolutions, ability to not blow up having a big rear end bitmap in memory, etc, it was probably a lot faster for them to poo poo out a screenshot app than to spend money on doing it right.

My very first week of Android development I built an app that can take pictures and works on every device. That's not a humblebrag, it's really really not hard at all.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

You can buy it unlocked from Google, and it'll work with any carrier. Will work on Fi as well.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

HolyDukeNukem posted:

They've designed a processor before specifically for AI. Plus, Android exclusively uses ARM architecture, so it's not particularly difficult to design hardware around the architecture.

My hope is that Google's long term goals involve two major things:
1) Andromeda forces all manufacturers onto the same operating system. When manufacturers create new hardware they make drivers for it and it gets mainlined into the operating system. It makes pushing out security updates and upgrades to the operating system much, much easier. Plus, none of the companies have shown any kind of competency in making operating system level software. It still allows hardware companies to innovate too, they just need it mainlined into software.

2) Google starts manufacturing processors and offers longer lines of support. The fact is is Google can't guarantee support for their phones until Qualcomm shows they are willing and capable of supporting their chipsets for longer than 2 years. All the manufacturers are basically stuck with this issue because Qualcomm is really the only high end chipset manufacturer in the market (outside of Apple). Having a legitimate competitor in the market that supports their hardware for longer will force Qualcomm to do the same in order to keep customers.

It sounds really stupid to ask Google to act more like Apple, but the fact is is neither group has been shown to be competent at supporting the ecosystem and an external force has to push them in order to make Android/Andromeda a more competitive force.

Easier said than done. Even Intel has failed to break into the mobile market in any big way and processors are practically all they do.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Bobulus posted:

My 2013 Nexus 5 spontaneously died today. For the last week, it's been having microphone problems, and today it keeps losing picture. Something's probably loose, because if I reboot it, I'll have picture for a few minutes until I tip the phone oddly or something and then it'll die again.

Anyway, love nexus phones, haven't looked at them since 2014, see they're called Pixel now, and that we're like two weeks away from a release. Anyone have any rough estimate on how much the 6P will drop in price when the new Pixels come out? Money is pretty tight right now, and I can't decide between a slight upgrade or a major upgrade.

Going from the 5 to the 5X is a solid upgrade. If you don't want to drop $650 on a phone I'd go for that.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's basically equivalent to WhatsApp, which we didn't need or want.

WhatsApp has web and desktop clients and has for years. Allo is objectively worse than every other major messaging platform (including hangouts). Its only perk is assistant, which... you'll be able to get without Allo soon.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

We will never need more than 128k32gb

I know you're making a joke, but I've never needed more than 16GB on a phone. The cloud is a thing. What do you need 128GB for if not photos and videos? Apps don't need that much.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

peepsalot posted:

I'm on a nexus 5x which recently updated to 7.0.

It seems like its much pickier now about swiping away these notifications from the lock screen. Like the swipe has to cover 99% the width of the phone and can't be too slow or it ignores it. I don't remember having this much trouble dismissing notifications before. Am i crazy or did this change? Is there some way to set the sensitivity for it?

If you do a small swipe it'll open a settings button now. But it's a really minor change and notifications still swipe away easily for me.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Android Police and Ars Technica are good. They review stuff honestly without chortling balls constantly, like the Verge and others.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just tried to switch 3 different friends to Allo from Hangouts. All of them said the same thing in different ways once I tried to explain Allo, "gently caress that until SMS integration and a web app" :sigh: Google, why do you make this as hard as possible?

I mean this in the most genuine non-snarky way possible - why would you try to switch anyone to Allo? What does it have that you don't get from any other platform?

Use Telegram and Whatsapp like every else, because they're actually good platforms that work and have core features and users.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

No one here uses WhatsApp. Not trying to humblebrag here or anything so please don't take it as that, but I have a lot of friends in many varied social groups, and no one uses WhatsApp. Everyone uses SMS, iMessage, or a small number use Hangouts. I would experience the same difficulty trying to get people to move to Telegram or WhatsApp that I do trying to get people onto Allo. It's honestly easier just to use SMS.

I consider myself super flexible as far as messaging apps go but I can't expect that of other people, and it needs to be as easy and seamless as possible. It's not at all, unfortuntaely.

Also for reviews, I usually like Technobuffalo a lot too, Jon Rettinger is a cool and smart dude:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKClp0RRM_U

That's fine and understandable, messaging fragmentation sucks and most of the people I know ultimately end up using SMS. But if I was going to try to convert them to something it would be hangouts since everyone has the necessary account already or Telegram because it's fantastic. I wouldn't even consider Allo. I didn't even bother installing it on any device because it's so dreadfully lacking even the most basic features of a messaging platform. Why bother?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mr. Powers posted:

I get this mentality. At work, sometimes we favor chucking a codebase in the trash rather than trying to upgrade it because it just took on so much that it wasn't initially designed to handle. At the same time, though, our user interface remains mostly unchanged, just with new features. We scrap the internals but keep the customer facing part the same.

That's the correct way of doing it, and every big software product has to go through this cycle at a certain point. Google's way is just scrapping everything and coming up with a new product lacking all the important features. Over and over again.

Only this time you can make the text small

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mister Macys posted:

If they leave documentation, it's easier to fire and replace them.

That's why the trick is to document nothing so you're invaluable :getin:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Did you order from Verizon or the Google store? (guessing Verizon since it's FedEx)

Google store only uses FedEx. In my area at least. I know quite well because most of my FedEx packages get stolen because they are so incredibly lazy with shipping.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I cannot believe that people are arguing about how one phone looks too much like another. Almost every phone looks like almost every other phone barring minor insignificant differences. Doubly so when it's a metal unibody. Who cares.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Skarsnik posted:

Oh that's disappointing, what's the point then ?

The point is to keep your texts when you switch phones or reset them.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Another nice feature the Pixel has is Direct Boot. Normally when you enter a pin, the phone halts in the boot process until you enter it. With the Pixel, it boots but keeps user data locked and encrypted until you supply the PIN. That way, things like alarms can still fire off and you can get incoming notifications, even incoming calls. If your phone reboots for some reason when you aren't paying attention to it (or sleeping) you still won't miss calls or your alarm due to it sitting at a PIN screen.

So, that, combined with the full SoC acceleration of encryption and fast fingerprint sensor basically means encryption and pin locking of your phone really adds zero overhead.

Isn't android already like this on any other phone? I've never has a situation where my phone was on and missed notifications or alarms because I hadn't unlocked it yet. This includes tablets that see very little daily use and often shut down due to being dead. If the device was on, I've never missed alerts that I needed.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

bull3964 posted:

But were the devices encrypted? That's the key piece. The pin provides the encryption key to unlock the storage upon boot.

Ah, no. Never felt a need to do that.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Desk Lamp posted:

HTC must be pretty annoyed at not only Google downplaying their involvement in the making of the phone

These things are 100% cemented in a contract way way before a product is released. HTC agreed to it up front and they are fine with it. If they were not they would be suing.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

Is the 5x an option? Because if so, you should get the 5x.

Seconded. It's the best phone of its size by a lot, unless you wanna pay pixel prices.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I know nothing about the Home. How do you activate it? Tell me it's not "okay google". I already accidentally trigger my phone every time I try to talk to my watch.

They fixed that with the Home, allegedly. Any other devices nearby won't respond if the Home picks you up.

Which apparently can be a problem. http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/11/google-home-review-a-step-forward-for-hotwords-a-step-backward-in-capability/

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mogomra posted:

Maybe. I don't know about Samsung, but people were up in arms about the Pixel's price, weren't they?

Only because it was way more expensive than most of the Nexus phones. It is on par with new Samsung phones and iPhones.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

Just to break up the Pixel chat, I ordered the Axon 7 today. It'll be here in a week. I won't post any updates on shipping

Are you sure? I think we need to know where it's stopping and what the daily ETA is.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

couldcareless posted:

I noticed this started happening recently too with my Nexus 6. I really like it, especially since my wife will always have struggles with killing casts that she kicks off with her iphone from time to time.

It's really nice. Some apps are really bad about keeping the notification alive, or even being able to disconnect/reconnect at all (netflix is the worst), and having controls there is nifty.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

Also, am I just seeing things? Some of my youtube videos on the Pixel seem to be running at 60FPS, and I didn't notice that happening on my Note 7 or Note 3. Is there some setting that I had to set to make that happen, or was there an update I missed or something?

Probably just the wrong videos. 60fps content is still pretty rare. Definitely works on my 5X.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

Scalping isn't against the law, and in fact there's nothing wrong with it as long as you're not ethically retarded. No one is forcing you to pay a scalper. If you don't like it, wake up early to get in line (like they did), or wait until things are restocked.

No one "forces" you to pay a scalper, but they reduce availability to low-stock items and force you to go through unreliable second-hand sellers to get something in high-demand. It's not illegal, but it's scummy and definitely unethical. It's very well within Google's rights to kill those peoples accounts. It's not a "digital execution", these people can just make new accounts. They probably lost a bunch of poo poo, but that's directly on them for doing something unethical and against a ToS they agreed to by purchasing a product. If you want to become a second-hand retailer for an item, go through the necessary steps to do so legitimately.

I'm not going to shed a tear for lovely scalpers.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

There have been people here in SA who were the first to get a Nexus or Oculus Rift or something similar on pre-order, and realized "hey, these are selling for a lot, I could use the money more than the gadget right now". Some sell them back on SA Mart at-cost because they have buyer's remorse or are just being altruistic. Some mark it up $50 bucks for their trouble. Some head to eBay for a bigger profit. Some flip it right away and some wait a week or a month. Is Google being transparent about how they define a scalper? Maybe they banned 100 accounts and hit one innocent bystander. Is he going to get his day in court? Nope, Google has some Judge Dredd motherfuckers, and they're coming for you one day. Sorry you didn't opt-out of your arbitration clause, now spread your cheeks.

Edit: OK, Google has now reversed their bans, all is right in the world: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/98444

I would say that's still a pretty lame thing to do but not unethical. But it sounded to me like the bans were only for people who bought a shitload of them and sold them en masse. Banning those people is completely okay with me.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

I switched back to my old nexus 5 after my 5x bricked. Is it just me or does the 5 actually have way better performance than the 5x? Everything feels so much less laggy.

Your 5x was probably just bogged down. It's quite a lot faster.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Blue Train posted:

huge phones are good and you get used to the size in a day or two

Disagree. I've had my 5X for nearly a year and its size still bothers me often, and it's not even that big. It's nice occasionally to watch a video or something but normal browsing/texting usages can be annoying. 5" is the best size.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Fi gets VVM integrated into the phone app as well.

On the 5X, at the very least. I assume it's the same for other phones.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Processors get very very hot. I mean the standard desktop CPU is like 30x30x5mm but heatsinks are easily 50x that size just to keep it from burning itself up. Most modern laptops use the entire metal body as a heat spreader. Phones have very little volume to spread the heat around, and no fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Yes, metal phones running a far more efficient architecture comparatively to x86 have had no thermal engineering taken into account by the makers of the phone nor the makers of the CPU. They certainly don't take into account thermal testing during development, and the CPU manufacture doesn't have a TRM nor any information about minimum or maximum temperature ratings of their product.

If only they had done ANY of that before smearing solder blindly onto a bga, doing 0 testing, and releasing it to market. Thank you internet forums user Taffer for bringing this problem to light. I shall inform the phone manufactures post haste of this startling revelation that you, and only you have had the good insight and intelligence to think about.

Nice zinger! The point is that running a phone's CPU and GPU at max for an extended period is gonna generate a ton of heat the most phones weren't designed to handle. As the weird-rear end recommendations like putting an ice pack on your phone point out very clearly.