Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I still don't understand who the Pixel is for exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
32GB on a $1000 laptop sounds pretty dicey

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
In KK it's swipe a circle in whatever direction

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
The wrist flick was something I thought I'd never ever use, and now I love it.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Please don't post about all this Lollipop negativity, it's important that everyone gets all of those important Lollipop features asap

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

bull3964 posted:

Mmmm, that M9 gets TOASTY.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/16/you-may-need-to-buy-oven-mitts-with-your-htc-one-m9/

Benchmark peaked it out at 130 F. On the outside...

Holy poo poo

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Hadlock posted:

How do I turn off the "message from X, say ok to listen" on my Moto X 2013. For a specific person. This new person sends a text every 90 seconds and I'm going crazy.

That's the driving thing from Moto Assist, try turning that off?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

SB35 posted:

This buy one, get a free one deal is neat and all but what am I gonna do with two phones? It's not exactly useful.

A backup phone/phone for a friend or family member?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

nerve posted:

Turbo charging is life changing and loving owns and I never want to own a phone without it

But qi charging!!

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

BonoMan posted:

I'm gonna make the jump to Android from Windows Phone (I gave it the ole college try since Windows 7 - it's just not cutting it). What's the best unlocked phone under $300? I'm not expecting miracles, but something that can run Lollipop and has a "not total poo poo" camera would be great.

Depends on what you mean by "not total poo poo" camera but best thing you'll find is the 2013 Moto X

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Tunga posted:

Nope, Google decided that you shouldn't be able to see that information for reasons.

Project Volta is too powerful for human eyes

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
It doesn't help that a lot of apps are based around Lollipop's Material Aesthetic in contrast to Kitkat's aesthetic.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

LastInLine posted:

I could see it maybe if you were talking the best iPhone right when it came out. You know it will get long term support and have the oomph to make it at least three though that last one or two years (out of five) might get rough.

On a flagship Android phone? Maybe, maybe three years.

On a budget Android phone? The reason the Moto G costs what it does is because it's disposable. Dispose of it and get a new one in a year (or whenever they update the SoC I guess).

Lol

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

thebushcommander posted:

I guess the question is, which do I want more out of the two. On one hand the edge is gimmicky even though the contact edge looks neat and if you look at the phone horizontally from the bottom it looks cool, but it it worth $100 dollars. Battery life across 4 different reviews all seem to indicate similar results, so it's not just The Verge at the moment, but as long as it last as longer than my m7 I'll be happy and considering I have 3 drat Tylt Vu's purchased at random times when they were on sale even though I don't have a phone capable of wireless charging I should have power available anywhere I need it the most!

Apparently the Edge is awkward to hold without always prodding the screen with your palm, so you might want to consider that

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Hey alright, that's nice to hear

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y7tPczbOec

have some tech analysis everyone

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Gobbeldygook posted:

Lollipop came to my LG G2 a few days ago and I hate it. It has dramatically reduced the performance of my phone (apps take much longer to open/close, it's seriously sluggish at all times, etc), apps freeze up for a while occasionally, etc. I never rooted it. Is there any way to get rid of this bullshit and go back to the nice phone I used to have?

Please just understand that while there might be some hiccups, that Lollipop is objectively superior to whatever experience you had before with you phone.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

actionjackson posted:

I don't know about customized, but the default back is pretty slippery. Since I have a case is not an issue though. I would imagine some sort of wood backing would be even worse.

Unless you have sweaty hands or something I really wouldn't call it slippery, it grips my hand pretty well.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

bull3964 posted:

2nd gen G only has a larger screen. That literally the only spec difference. It still has the same SoC as the 2013 G and still only has 1gb of RAM.

It also has a better camera and better speakers :eng101:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

b0nes posted:

This exactly. I'm pretty hard on my phone. I haven't found a phone yet that will get me through an entire work day.

How do you net 5+ hours of SOT in a single work day?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

kitten smoothie posted:

You guys are like the people still running Windows XP in 2015 because your boss's kid nephew "IT guy" said never update.

Agreed, Vista was dope.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

IuniusBrutus posted:

Installing 5.1 on my developer GSM 2013 Moto x right now.

Gimmie a trip report please, still kinda nervous after the way my N7 turned out

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Lollipop on my moto x 2013 has been awesome so far, I was expecting it to maybe be a little bit slower but I think it's even faster now!

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

mugrim posted:

Antutu seems to confirm the speed is faster on the newest Moto E. Moto X 1st Gen scores at 19k while the brand new 2nd Gen Moto E scores at almost 23k. With the same apps, side by side, I was opening programs and flipping around on the E faster than the X (Got bored on my lunch break right after I switched). I don't do a lot of apps, and almost all of them are simple.

Now to be fair, my X still has kitkat while the E has lollipop. I also don't use any intense apps.

The only part that seems slower is the large transfer of data, but then again I've never transferred over 10gb to my moto X because it's space was pretty limited.

Moto X 2013 is always going to suffer in mutlithreaded benchmarks since it's only a dual core, but SD600 still happily outpaces SD410 in single-threaded operations which matters more imo

e: also the Moto E has pretty poor random read apparently, which wouldn't help either.

Hace fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 22, 2015

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Basically the same but it's a slightly lower clock

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Endless Mike posted:

I dunno, it's like 1/7 the cost of his phone and he gets to use it forever. Seems like kind of a lot!

this is a good way to think about spending money

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I still can't believe how smooth 5.1 is on my 2013 Moto X, especially relative to my N7, it's awesome.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Don Lapre posted:

Maybe someone should tell them that 5.1.1 is latest

Does it event specify 5.1.1 in the update page? It was just 5.1 on my N7.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

kri kri posted:

So I am "supposed" to use moto display if I can use this ambient display setting?

Ambient display doesn't use any of motos special hardware sooooo

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="447232902"]
Why does the Youtube app have 3 buttons that do the exact same thing? Play a video, make it full screen, then press either (1) the back button, (2) the top left caret icon, or (3) the >< icon in the bottom right. Every time it makes the video tiny and puts it in the bottom right corner of the screen. Why doesn't one of those things make the player go back to being in portrait with the related videos and comments underneath? How hard is this?

Pretty sure the >< icon does just that?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="447245147"]
Have you tried it? It does what I said.

Ha, you're right! It didn't used to do that though, guess it's just a recent bug.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Can someone explain the new battery statistics, because they all seem random

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

revmoo posted:

So just throw it on the charger every six hours then?

So what is your average SOT btw

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Are there any good ~5.0 flagships coming out?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Also the N5's SoC is wayyyy faster than the Moto G's

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Just make sure you get the model with 2GB RAM!

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Moto X 1st Gen w/ 5.1 is okay

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
New Moto G has a camera that seems to be praised though???

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I think charging faster is a good thing, with literally 0 downsides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Logikv9 posted:

This current generation of phones is just awful because it's either a consistent poo poo sandwich (Samsung), a laughable hype-train device that is impossible to actually obtain (Oneplus), not out yet (Nexus), somehow worse than touchwiz (LG), a portable stove for emergency situations (HTC), or gutted and soon to be replaced with literal malware okay device (Motorola).

I don't know what to get because everything is bad and if I wasn't sticking with GV for my old number I would be strongly considering an iphone.

Phones are better than they've ever been lmfao