Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Those teardown videos are at the very least interesting to see how the devices are laid out internally and to see how to disassemble/repair something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Paranoid Peanut posted:

my pixel 2 xl screen cracked.. should i get a pixel 4 xl or another pixel 2 xl?

Pixel 3a XL or wait a few months for the 4a if you can deal with the crack. Alternatively, replace the screen?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Literally just what the above poster said. I have a 4 XL and like it, but I'd love it if it was the price of a 3a.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I wasn't aware the carriers could delay Pixel updates. I thought the whole point of the Pixel was to avoid having to deal with the carrier bullshit kind of like with an iPhone where an update just simply gets pushed out.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

LastInLine posted:

So what you'd prefer is that they push out the broken update to AT&T phones rather than, um, not do that?

No, I was just under the impression that the carriers couldn't delay the updates is all.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

space marine todd posted:

I'll have to check next time but I'm at around 30-40% after a day of work (9am-5pm) and I use it primarily just for a few hours of Spotify to my Bluetooth headphones during that time. I didn't have this issue with battery life with my Pixel 2 XL.

I work 8am-4pm, device is fully charged when I get to work and then charges some on my commute home, but I still get like 5+ hours of screen-on time. Could it be better? Absolutely, but I don't think it's "bad."

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

BonoMan posted:

Excluding a micro SD slot is inexcusable to me. Want it to be limited to 64 gigs fine, but even cheap rear end phones have expandable storage.

It's entirely possible I'm just an outlier, but 64GB of storage had always been more than enough for me. Are you (not you specifically, this is a general "you") installing more large games, or downloading movies/shows to the phone or something? I've just never run into anything where the base configuration was feeling cramped other than a 16GB iPhone on the last year those were available.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

So I just received the new Samsung S20 galaxy and it comes with a preinstalled screen protector. I used it for around 24 hours and today I noticed that there's a faint scratch on either the screen protector or the glass itself. I'm worried it's on the physical display but I don't want to remove the screen protector. Are these preinstalled screen protectors pretty weak to begin with? Maybe it got scratched?

The pre-installed screen protectors are super flimsy plastic garbage that get scratched really easily. If you want a screen protector you're better off removing that and putting on a glass one.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Yeah there isn't really any OnePlus stuff I can think of that would be confusing for a Pixel user. Samsung having two or three versions of every app confuses even me sometimes.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.droid-life.com/2020/03/13/pixel-5-lineup-might-not-be-the-high-end-phones-youd-expect/

Looks like the Pixel 5 and 5 XL will be bramble and redfin. This means they'd use the mid-range Snapdragon 765G and will both possibly have telephoto lenses.

Blogs are already starting to doom say about this and how disappointed they are that the Pixel 5 won't be a "true flagship" device. Tbh, I think it would be better for Google to go back to a more Nexus device mindset and make phones that a great all-rounders instead of having to make weird comprises to try to compete at the very top end.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Khablam posted:

It's dogshit, and no anecdotes about how it "works for me" should counter the physical reality of it being 2/3 the capacity of other offerings.

Considering how the 4 XL's battery life is with my usage, I know for a fact the regular one would run out of power long before the end of my work day.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

To be fair, AC has had a bizarre hate boner for the Pixel phones for a while now.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Agreed. I missed the Pixel fingerprint unlock before (despite not having an issue with face ID) but I miss it even more now. I expect to have to wear a mask for airplanes too, so I'll have to get used to the PIN again I guess.

As a CPAP user, I've had to get used to entering my PIN ever since face unlock became the only thing some phones support. It really is annoying to be truthful.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/04/20/android-stability-flaw-is-causing-some-phones-mostly-pixels-to-freeze-up-completely/

Android Police is having their (starting to become annual) issue with Android phones slowing down. This time it's their Pixels but others are chiming in saying it's happening on other devices too from Motorola to Samsung's Galaxy S 10. Apparently it happens on Android 10 but also on Android 11?

It seems to be coming from a recent update to the Pixel launcher and phones that may be using it, officially or not.

I've had the UI freezing issue a occasionally, but I just chalked it up to whatever app it was causing it and not Android as a platform or my device specifically.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Khablam posted:

He posts first.
That's entirely why anyone watches him.

He's a dumbass piece of poo poo who told people to go buy the "Escobar folding phone" (as a paid sponsor) despite the review sample he was given literally being a Galaxy fold with stickers over the Samsung labels.
No, not joking.

I'm assuming Lew is Unbox Therapy, so I'll add to it that he looks and acts like a massive dickhead.

Anyway, my brother says his OP7 Pro is having intermittent issues with his calls cutting out. Anyone know if they've released an update that might have fixed that, and if not what the best non-super expensive Android phone on T-Mobile is?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Am I the only person who finds earbuds to be largely uncomfortable? I've tried different tips and stabilizer things, and they still always either eventually slip out of are too big to fit into my ears. Would be nice to get a decent wireless over ears pair of headphones.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

isndl posted:

I'm the same way and eventually found bone-conducting headsets. Sits over the ear, doesn't block outside sound (pro or con depending on your intended usage), good sized battery, and can be combined with foam earplugs for usage on airplanes. They are pricier than ordinary earbuds though.

Got any specific recommendations?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Rexxed posted:

Don't micromanage your battery too much. If you leave it plugged in 24/7 for a few years your phone will grow up big and strong.

:staredog:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

codo27 posted:

This is one of the wildest things I've ever read on here. Phones are personal, explicitly portable devices. I mean they're also all flimsy garbage so it doesn't hurt to have a backup kicking around, but to be actively using it as a secondary in addition to your main seems crazy.

Updated Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood where he copies his data to a new phone when he enters the house and then again to his other phone when he leaves at the end of the show.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I got an email from OnePlus with a code for a “private sale event” to use at checkout.

OP10 Pro 8GB+128GB for $549 ($250 off)
OP10 Pro 12GB+256GB for $649 ($220 off)
OP10T 8GB+128GB $399 ($250 off)
OP Nord Buds 2 $53.10 ($5.90 off)

I have no interest in any of them, but if someone here wants one I’ll send you the sale code.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Sure am glad tech tubers complained so much about bezels that it seeped into the average consumer’s list of poo poo to care about and now having something to use to hold your phone is now an eyesore or whatever.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Why can't I just have iOS on a device that looks like it was made for an adult? iPhone design peaked with the iPhone 4/4S because they were intentionally going for "what would it look like if Sony made it?" and the Xperia 1 III/IV/V are exactly what an evolved iPhone 4/4S would probably look like. I hate being weirdly drawn to Xperia devices every year only to have to remind myself that every Android device I've ever used has ended up having some deal-breaking issue or compromise that sends me back to iOS where the devices have a different set of compromises I'm more "okay" with. :negative:

Anyway, see y'all after I've spent $1400 on another loving cell phone that I have buyers remorse over and probably end up returning.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Chikimiki posted:

Can confirm, I tried a Sony Xperia a few years ago and I had that experience. Battery life was also meh. Went Pixel Gang and didn't look back :v:

I tried the Xperia 1 III and the 5 IV. I, personally, quite liked the camera options and thought I was able to take pretty good pictures, albeit almost entirely of my cats. I think Sony’s phones are the only devices currently on the market that are genuinely aesthetically pleasing to me. iPhones have giant camera bumps that are almost as thick on their own as the phones they’re attached to. Samsung makes decent looking devices, but they either have the same curve radius at the corners of the device & screen or rounded off sides with a curved screen. I really don’t like the design concept of any Pixel since the 5/5a. LG is gone, HTC is gone, Motorola doesn’t really compete in the high end market anymore afaik, OnePlus is OnePlus.

This is the first time I’ve actually thought about it, but smartphones these days just all aesthetically look awful to me. Except for the Sony devices. Which I guess is honestly a pretty dumb metric by which to measure desirability of a consumer electronic. I should probably talk to a therapist about that.

All that said, the issues with the 1 III was abysmal battery life, the dimmest screen I’ve seen in years, and zero 5G support. The issues with the 5 IV was the omission of several 5G bands and SD8G1 overheating.

The 1 V has all the 5G bands, aside from mmWave, that Verizon uses. Has a screen roughly as bright as the iPhone 14 Pro. Has much better battery life than the 1 III. SD8G2 runs cooler and Sony says they’ve done better with thermal management in general. It seems like it should be a home run for me, personally. However, something tells me there is going to be some showstopper issue crop up that torpedoes using the device long term. And while it’s not a necessity, the lack of eSIM support for North American variants of their devices is odd to me, and would make using it alongside my eSIM only iPhone 14 Pro a pain in the rear end (which is more Apple’s fault, their lock-in scheme with eSIM only and other devices that require an iPhone works remarkably well).

E: Jesus Christ that was a lot of :words: about why I hate smartphones…

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 16, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

hooah posted:

As to the SIM, how would I even test that? I do have AccuBattery installed, but it always complains that it's getting killed in the background, even after I've gone through all the troubleshooting related to that.

How long have you had that SIM card and how many times has it been inserted & removed from devices? The cards can wear out with age or frequent swapping around.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

hooah posted:

Hmm. Maybe a couple of years? But it's only been removed two or three times.

Do you know if it's a "5G SIM card" or not? I had an issue with Verizon where I was getting 5G on my phone but it was spotty and inconsistent until they replaced it with one that has the 5G logo thing on it. I don't know if there is actually any difference, sometimes I think companies just put branding on things so they can charge for it, but it fixed the issue entirely.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Kinda wish Sony would sell the Xperia 10 series in the US. I know some folks who would be into them.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Fairly certain most of the boneheaded decisions OEMs make are the result of very vocal tech reviewers demanding “more advanced” ways of doing things over “old” methods that just worked better. Having any kind of a bezel on a screen is derided, they want in-screen fingerprint readers, everything needs a ton of cameras, anything less than a 120 Hz display is treated as garbage or something only for poor people phones, folding devices and in-screen cameras are the next things that are being demanded. As far as I can tell this is entirely driven by the youtube tech enthusiast reviwer crowd, because if something is a truly iterative update or just fixes some design issues with the previous model, it’s seen as resting on their laurels and stagnation.

IMO we don’t need annual revisions to devices, and definitely don’t need annual major updates to operating systems, but if they don’t then they get blasted by reviewers which filters out to the more general public.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Yeah the camera stuff is ported over from the Sony Alpha camera team, and changing the OS on the device wipes all of that out leaving you with either just a basic-rear end camera, or no camera at all (I don't remember if it axes access entirely or not). Xperias also carry a hefty Sony Tax and end up being more expensive than comparable devices from other OEMs, but if you want a headphone jack, microSD expansion, the top of the line SoC and poo poo and don't mind the 21:9 aspect ratio of the devices they're pretty nice. Each of the current series of phones has rectified issues from the previous models, and the 1 V is looking to be a pretty badass device, so long as you can stomach paying $1400 for it when the S23 Ultra is $1200 or less due to sales.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

I don't know how you make a waterproof/dustproof phone with a battery that's user replaceable without tools.

It’s a lower rating, but the Galaxy S5 was IP67 rated and had a removable back panel with access to the battery.

https://www.tomshardware.com/review...2030%20minutes.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

bull3964 posted:

It's just one anecdotal bit of evidence vs another though. It's not hard data either way and either of us claiming to have it would be a lie.

At the risk of coming off as confrontational, most people don’t swap and trade between phones as often as you do by a long shot. These are singular devices that are being used day in and day out. They have more use hours out on them than yours do, which increases the chance of them running into problems. Some people just have poo poo luck and others have spectacular luck, but I think the amount of use these failed devices have on them is something that should be considered as well.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

If someone, for some reason, is looking to buy a OnePlus device from their website between now and the 20th I have a 5% off code I got for doing their Genshin Impact promo thing. It generated a code so I don’t think it’s tied to my account.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I swear to god I heard one youtuber said the Xperia 1 V has "chunky bezels," because it has symmetrical top and bottom bezels to avoid a hole punch camera and to house front firing speakers. These bezels are barely there. Curved screens and front glass that flows into the sides of devices suck too.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The Xperia 1 V is the first phone I've used since the iPhone 5S that I felt like I didn't need a case on it. Its amazing how the textured back and the ridged side rails make it feel so much sturdier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Screama posted:

This phone checks a lot of boxes for me except price. I'm keeping an eye out for sales. Is there anything you dislike about it?

Honestly the price is the biggest issue when you consider a few omissions that some cheaper devices have like a variable refresh screen. Curious what the Xperia 5 V will retail for, since it will keep almost all of the stuff the 1 V has, but be a little smaller with a 1080p screen (instead of a 4K screen that switches to 1080p in most situations) and looks like it'll lack the physical telephoto camera and instead use super resolution with the new Exmor T sensor. Haven't hit any deal breakers or major issues yet, but I've also only had it since Sunday. If some weird poo poo arises I'll talk about it in here.