Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

nimper posted:

Edgy as gently caress. Got any more hot takes?

I've heard the Oneplus phones have terrible support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I even have T-Mobile problems on I-5 - more rural sections but still, it's the drat interstate, and THE north-south corridor on the west coast.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
One week into Pixel ownership:
* This is a really, really nice phone, everything is so smooth and whenever I think "gee, it would be nice if Google built X into the phone" it seems to be there already.
* I got the 32GB, and sometimes wish I would have coughed up for the 128GB, but on the other hand it forced me to clean up all the podcasts I had downloaded and would probably not listen to.
* That being said, the Moto G4 Play has some magic battery life poo poo going on.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Crampy Grampaw posted:

Is there a phone out there that's pretty much the Moto X first generation but better? I've been holding out for the past 3 years but it's starting to feel its limits. Most important in order would be small size, at least the same battery life, and active display.

The Pixel isn't that much bigger. Otherwise the only people making phones similar in size would be Sony's Xperia Compact line.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Incessant Excess posted:

I just looked at the list again and the Moto G series isn't even on it, how come the G5+ is so highly recommended in spite of that? Security updates simply not the be all end all?

I think the idea of buying the G series is that it's a disposable phone. My G4 Play (bought late last year) had security updates from... July? Then in April I think they updated to the February security patch, and that's been it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Has anyone had problems with their Pixel being very flaky when it comes to connecting to WiFi, even access points that you've told it to connect to in the past?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

hooah posted:

Started noticing this yesterday with my work's wifi.

I talked to Google Support and they are offering a replacement device after I tried a bunch of steps to fix it, but with Moto the replacements were typically rejects that someone else sent back, and I am wary of getting one of those (this device is only two weeks old.) Is that fear unfounded?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Vice President posted:

Welp, this probably answers my question. Came here to ask whether I should buy a friend's 5X, which is a brand new (I assume refurb) replacement for a 5X that bootlooped. Is $150 a good deal on a phone that even though is "new" will probably inevitably break and lead me to grabbing a G5+ while I wait for a new Pixel?

It's probably not new, everything I've read about the 5X is that they only made the initial production run a year and a half ago, so while maybe it's been sitting in a warehouse more likely it's someone else's lovely 5X made to work just long enough for the customer.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm shoehorning this in as I'm not sure where else to ask, so here we go...

A friend of mine has used my last 2 handed-down phones, the 2013 Moto G and Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. He's a clumsy, accident-prone half-wit and has smashed the Moto G beyond use. The Z3 has been dropped in such a manner that the top of the screen no longer responds to touch, and the headphone jack apparently is sending sound to only one channel.

So, right now he needs another way to play music on-the-go. He's a man of little means, so getting a good replacement like a Moto G5+ isn't an option. The phone part of the Z3 still works (for now), so can anyone recommend any portable music player instead? I don't know what his budget would be so I'm open to suggestions.

Moto G4 Play? Still $100 on Amazon if you get the ad-supported version, just stick in an SD card and he can carry around all the music he wants.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

WeAreTheRomans posted:

How the gently caress can waiving statutory rights be an opt-out clause. I can't imagine this would be legal in the EU

Opt-out is standard in class action suits. The idea being that if you are someone who isn't even aware of the lawsuit, you are automatically in, meaning you will be part of the suit and will receive your share of the settlement.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ola posted:

Do you get less bezel for more money? Measuring side to side, they're about the same as the new iPhone 7. :shrug:

Pay more or maybe look at the iPhone SE.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Woot just put up refurbished Pixels for $400-$450.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I want to hear Google announce that the Pixel 3 will be made by OnePlus.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ola posted:

God dammit, just read that the Pixel 3 will be made by OnePlus. It's going to suck.

You can't say that yet. You have to wait for the phone to come out and for everyone to get bootloops or the screen displayed upside down or whatever before saying the phone is going to suck.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, people shouldn't be using Google for QR scanning, they should be using this:

I can't remember where now, but in some app or some page Google even recommends this app.

Why does it need to know who my contacts are?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
FYI the Samsung Browser has a built-in QR code scanner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

RZA Encryption posted:

, but bluetooth

https://www.amazon.com/ION-Audio-Cassette-Adapter-Bluetooth/

Done :smugdog: