Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Did I zone out, or haven't they announced price and availability yet?
Nope, nothing yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Pixel 2 64GB $649, 128GB $749
Pixel 2 XL 64GB $849, 128GB $949

datajosh
May 3, 2002

baka kaba posted:

Well I mean more like a lip sync issue, the kind you can adjust for on home theatre receivers because your TV might be adding some latency. Basically is the tech fast enough to eliminate that or is there still a bit going on
I've noticed sync issues using my Bluetooth earphones with my PC but not with my phone.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Bob NewSCART posted:

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions as far as cases go with the S8 or is it just the type of thing where you have to deal with it and just be very careful not to drop your phone? I always try my best anyways but sometimes poo poo just happens and i don't wanna be a grand out of pocket if it does.
Diztronic is usually good and I've had good experiences with Tudia for my S8+ and Note 8. I'd love to go caseless but the glass backs on these things are too slippery for my taste.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

sleepwalkers posted:

I think there's probably a good bit of variation from panel to panel. For instance, mine didn't have any major streaking/grittiness or uneven color that I could tell.
For the most part, I think the blue tint and low brightness performance is gonna be a judgement thing. Bothered me, but won't bother everyone.

Definitely. OLED panel variation has been a thing for years. They've generally gotten better but outside of Samsung's flagships, you're likely to see issues. (Not that they're immune, the panel on my Note 8 is noiceability warmer versus my Wife's on the same settings.)

datajosh
May 3, 2002

hotsauce posted:

And lol at the developer guidance for the "Sleep As Android" alarm app. He reminds us why Samsung sucks at writing software. I must have Stockholm Syndrome because I actually like it.

I use Sleep As Android on my Note 8 and haven't done that and haven't missed any alarms ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I generally like the feature too, except the notifications. I got tired of being informed that an app was draining my battery, then tapping it and finding out that putting said app to sleep would give me a whole extra 1 minute of battery life.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Mental Hospitality posted:

I like small bezels, but I'm more apprehensive of the 18:9 ratio, especially with OLEDs and most videos still being 16:9. My phone is a pretty vital media consumption tool when I'm at work or on the road, I like my 6in bigphone for that reason.
The only thing I really hate about having an 18.5:9 phone is the goddamn Netflix app zooming videos to fill the screen. It has an button that goes back to the original aspect ratio, but it resets when you play the next video or even pause the one you're watching.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Coxswain Balls posted:

Does that mean that the preferred care warranty is now three years?
It appears the answer is no:

quote:

We also want to add some clarification on the 2 year warranty and preferred care.

If you already purchased your Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL from the Google Store or an authorized retailer, your warranty will be extended to 2 years.

The length of the preferred care program remains the same. If you have a mechanical breakdown issue in the second year, you will no longer have to pay a deductible. Accidental damage is still subject to a deductible. If you bought Preferred Care and want a refund you can get a full refund on your purchase of preferred care for up to 30 days, or a pro-rated refund anytime after that.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

ilkhan posted:

To be fair it sounds like theres an oreo beta in progress and I *HATE* the way my oreo turns my phone into a brick unless I'm actively using it. So Sticking with N and getting security updates would be my ideal.
The Oreo beta is for the S8/S8+, nothing on the Note 8 yet

datajosh
May 3, 2002

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

I bought a 2016 Pixel and if this thing couldn't be more slippery if were a bar of soap. I'm looking for a cover that will make it grippy without adding bulk. I don't care about protective qualities, if the phone doesn't pop out of my hand or slip out of my pocket (twice today), it'll be fine. TPU seems like a common material but it's supposed to be pretty smooth so I'm guessing that's not an option. What else is there, silicone and maybe leather? Something akin to a screen protector only for the rest of the phone and not smooth? Amazon wasn't much help, searches are stymied by half the products declaring themselves to be made of several different materials.
grip tape

Honestly, TPU will probably be fine. I've never had a TPU case that I thought was too slippery.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

Every kickstarter I've seen involves the product never even coming into existence... I'd say these guys are doing better than most.

Edit: Jeez they're still working on Barkley 2: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/talesofgames/barkley-2-an-rpg-sequel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam
SpaceVenture from the Space Quest guys was supposed to be out even earlier than that one and there's still no release date. First and last Kickstarter for me.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

wandler20 posted:

I was watching WWE tonight and a couple wrestlers theme songs popped up which I thought was strange they'd be on a list.
HHH always goes over

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

Somewhere yesterday I saw an app for mimicking the iphone X notch on your Android phone.

wtf
There's a few of them. You can get the Essential notch too.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

KingKapalone posted:

Ok but can't just double tap on the lockscreen?
I don't think so

datajosh
May 3, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'll likely bite the bullet and get this for my Note 8 and I'll let you all know if it's good.
Thank you for your sacrifice :911:

I want to get one of these for my wife but at $50 and no reviews yet, it's gonna have to wait

datajosh
May 3, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Another round of the Google news feed being wonky, apparently every tv show is now on The CW. I just now was told there was a new episode of 'The Mick' tonight on The CW. Yesterday, 'The Gifted' was on The CW.
Same here, the first time it happened I thought it was notifying me of a rerun

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Spacewolf posted:

B. Why the hell is nothing seeing my SMS messages except Samsung's app?
Are these messages with other T-Mobile users? They could be RCS messages, which apparently are not stored in the same place as your SMS messages. According to a T-Mobile forum post I found, an app called SMS Share 2 is supposed to be able to read them and export/backup the messages.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

OhFunny posted:

I tried Textra, but some of the emoticons I'd send would show up as blank boxes to the recipient.
If I had to guess, you're probably sending a newer emoji that the recipient's phone doesn't recognize yet. That would be an issue regardless of which app you use.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

sourdough posted:

I'm not 100% sure, but fairly confident Verizon postpaid won't let you use it
Pretty sure that's still accurate, you have to have a Verizon prepaid phone active on a prepaid account for however many months before they'll let you use it on a postpaid account.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Nalin posted:

Samsung's backup also backs up full app APKs, settings, and data, unlike Google, which relies on the app developers themselves to properly write their own backup data. It isn't unique to only Sony and LG.

Samsung also backs up call logs, clocks and alarms, home screen layouts, etc. Google only does a small amount.
They removed the app and app data backup from Samsung Cloud earlier this year. It can still be done with the Samsung Smart Switch desktop app though.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Anyone have any recommendations for a company (or companies) that make good, basic TPU cases like Diztronic used to make? The Araree A Fit case was a decent enough replacement for my Galaxy S10e but it's about to be upgrade time and they seem to have fallen off the map too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Helter Skelter posted:

I'm pretty happy with the Caseology Vault I ended up buying for my 4a.

Rakeris posted:

I bought the Spigen hybrid for my 4a and and I'm very pleased with it, way nicer than I was expecting for 12$ the button cutouts are probably some of the best I have ever used on a case

Thanks guys! The Vault series looks just about perfect for what I'm looking for, just no Note 20 versions yet (my wife refuses to get another phone without a S-Pen), and the Spigen Hybrids look like a good option as well. Diztronic was the only thing we used for the longest time but they seem to have disappeared over the past two? years.