Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Should I trade in my Sony Xperia Z for an LG G3? T-Mobile is running a deal on their refurb LG G3. Is it worth an extra $7 a month to upgrade to it? Mainly I've been disappointed withe the camera of the Xperia Z. I have a baby and pictures are important, and I haven't been too impressed with the Z.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

We have a camera already, but it's just more convenient having a decent camera phone.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

pandaK posted:

Just got my Note 4, are the built in apps for camera, music, and etc good or should I get something else? Also how do I set more than one alarm with just one widget?

If it's the same music player as the S5, then use it! The only thing I miss from my S5 is the music player.

Variable_H posted:

E: check this out, it'll let you compare the cameras between devices and really let you know if it's worth it.

Thanks! Since it sounds like you own it, how's the front facing camera? The Z is abysmal.

END OF AN ERROR fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 10, 2015

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

pandaK posted:

Do I use the generic named "Music player" or google play's music player? What's the difference?

Generic music player is what I used. Google Play Music can stream music off of the cloud that you uploading, while the music player just plays local files.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Variable_H posted:

Frankly I could take it or leave it. I don't use front facing cameras often, so it's not a big deal to me.

Back camera in low light

Front camera in low light

Thanks again. What's your job?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Nierbo posted:

Anyone know what I can get for my unlocked mint cond nexus 5 on ebay? A hundred bucks?

Is your internet broken that you can't check? They go for $225+

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

What's a good, small, budget android? I love my Alcatel Idol 3 4.7 but I've had two of them now, and they both have a screen issue where certain spots are brighter than the rest, it looks like an internal component is pushing on the backside of the screen.

I tried the new Moto G, but it felt way too thick and bulky compared to the Idol. And the camera was garbage. I really like my Idol except for this screen issue.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

Economy, design, specs, camera. Choose three.

I don't care about specs as long as it takes pictures quickly, and they logo decent.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

I like the cameras on my Idol. So basically I should keep getting replacements from amazon for my idol until I find a good one, since it sounds like it's the phone for me.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Daily Forecast posted:

I got the plastic. I don't care what LG says about it being premium cow leather or whatever: thin, small leather items made in China are almost always, always made of cat or dog skin. I don't like the idea of dead cat on my phone. :(

You can't use most cases with the leather anyway.

I had a leather G4 for about a week and the corners of the leather case were already showing wear. And the phone does nothing but go in and out of a pocket all day. Premium.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Just got an invite for the OnePlus Two and totally don't have an extra $400 laying around :(

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

SpitefulHammer posted:

Yeah, I think I will. There doesn't seem to be many Moto X Play owners and reaction seems to be a little mixed so will probably go with the G.

I tried going from the z3c to the moto g and hated it. Enjoy your ridiculously bulky phone! I think the g is the thickest phone made in the last year.

END OF AN ERROR fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 21, 2015

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

I like being able to downloading mp3s and not buying songs via iTunes. And not using iTunes at all. And not being one of those people who instead of saying "my phone" I have to say "my iPhone". Like, instead of saying "hey, can you grab my phone for me?", every single iPhone user will say "hey, can you grab my iPhone for me?" And that drives me insane.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Why would a new phone not auto download my apps onto it? I just activated an Idol 3 for a work phone and usually when I first put my Google account info it will auto download all the stuff I have on my old phone, but it isn't doing that with the Idol. Any idea how to make it?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Except you know, I find large phones uncomfortable to use. But yeah, it's silly to be irritated that devices have become less comfortable for me. :rolleyes:

Yep. I'm making the jump to iPhone. I don't want to, but the only way to get a good camera in android is to have a huge phone, and I want a small 4.7" screen. All androids with that size are dumbed down crap versions of the giant phone.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

All true. Just keep in mind display size is not the same as phone size, and an iPhone 6S will be closer to a 5" Android phone size. Doesn't change that that'll be the best camera in that size phone, though.

E: No idea how the camera is, but the Sony Z5 Compact, which is 4.6" screen, is much smaller than the iPhone and every other Android phone: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/Apple-iPhone-6s,Google-Nexus-5,Sony-Xperia-Z5-Compact/phones/9501,8148,9611

I had a z3 compact and really liked it, but the big deal here is that I can make payments through T-Mobile for the iPhone, but can't for the z5. I can't justify dropping $500+ on a phone, but spread it out over 2 years and I'm OK with it

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Busy Bee posted:

Going from Nexus 5 to Nexus 6P - Micro SIM to Nano SIM. What's the best way to get a new SIM? I saw a device on Amazon that will cut down your Micro SIM card for you but wanted another opinion. Should I just go to an AT&T store and ask for a new nano SIM card?

Yeah they'll just give you one

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

The rear end Stooge posted:

I don't think I've ever gotten a pair of headphones with an electronic device that weren't total pieces of poo poo. I'm just gonna keep using the nice headphones that I already have, so why would I want yet another crummy dollar store pair to throw in a drawer and forget about?

Coincidentally, the cheapest phone I've ever owned, the Alcatel Idol 3, came with the best set of headphones, an actually nice pair of JBL that I use constantly.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

So for the past two days I have been trying an iPhone 6s because I wanted a not huge phone with a great camera. This phone is for literal babies. Every single icon on the home screen because pressing a menu button would be too confusing. Widgets? Lol no way too confusing. Except for adding music. That you have to be a master of iTunes to get music on your phone. Because a simple drag and drop into a drive on your computer would be so ineffective.

So in closing, are there any smaller in size android phones with really good cameras I should look at besides the Galaxy S6?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

bronin posted:

This is the sad state of android phones we're in when nowadays a thing like the Nexus 5X is considered small.

This. The 5x is a huge phone. The z5c is a good choice but I had the z3c and didn't think it was worth the hefty price tag attached to it. Plus I can't finance it through a carrier like I can the s6.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

So is there any app that can do what iPhones do with their Live Photos? I'm using an iPhone 6s right now and that feature is the coolest thing I've ever used on a phone. I have a one year old, so every picture makes me smile a little more seeing her moving and laughing. I don't want an iPhone though, so I'd rather find an android app that does it.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Which phone do you think would have the better camera?

LG G4 or ZTE Axon 7 Mini

Also, are there any android apps that can compete with Live Photos on the iPhone? The lease on my iPhone is almost up and I want to switch back to android but I really enjoy Live Photos

END OF AN ERROR fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 13, 2017

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

redreader posted:

I've got a moto x 2013 (bought end 2014, so I've only had it 2.5 years), and was looking at the moto g5 plus, and comparing the processors in both (when I thought it was the qualcomm 817, but apparnetly it's the 825, which nobody knows anything about?). It looks like yeah, it is an improvement, but the 817 at least is not anything special. I was looking at the qualcomm 835 though and that looks like it would be a massive improvement. So I suppose I'm waiting for the pixel 2.

I want to get the same phone for my wife and I so that we can have the same problems/fixes. Also gently caress rooting phones, I don't want to do it any more. It took my pokemon go away from me. Also, my phone can't use the new Fire Emblem app for some reason. Those aren't really big enough reasons to upgrade. I don't watch movies on my phone, and normally sit at a computer. It's good for waze, phone calls, messaging while in work meetings, and facebook. I suppose for now I'll just wait and see what's announced.

Ok sounds good

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

TMobile currently has the Galaxy S7 Edge for sale for $360. Is there any reason not to get it at this price point?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Why not just move everything on your furthest left screen one screen to the right? Boom, blank screen in the left.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

terre packet posted:

What are basic troubleshooting steps for a Galaxy S7 with a speaker that stopped working? It pumps audio out just phone over the headphone jack. I've tried the usual muting, unmuting, safe mode, checking different apps with no luck. Any other ideas?

My wife's iPhone 6s was doing this today. Always said there were headphones plugged in even when there wasn't. Looking online a ton of people recommended cutting down the cotton on the end of a q tip til it fits in the headphone jack, then insert it repeatedly while spinning it around and stuff (awwww yeaaahhhh). It eventually fixed it. So there's a place to start I guess?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Is there a way to get a Google now card that will show updates on my Amazon orders? Just switched from an iPhone and I miss having the Amazon widget thing that showed me my order statuses.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

dont be mean to me posted:

Like CLAM DOWN's posts imply, Google Now will automatically generate order and shipment reports for at least Amazon and probably other services if they're set to your Gmail address.

I don't use my gmail for my Amazon account so that explains it.

Also Galaxy S7 Edge, is there a way to make the screen turn on when you pick up the phone? I really miss that on my iPhone.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

nimper posted:

The always-on display kinda takes care of that, no?

Eh not really. If I see I have a notification I still have to press the button to bring up the lock screen. I like having the lock screen appear just bypicking up my phone. But I found an app that does it so I'm good.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

So can Android not play music over USB in vehicles? I have a 2015 Focus with the big navigation radio. My iPhone plugged in and played music no problem, displaying album art and everything. Plugged in my S7 Edge today and the radio didn't even recognize it was plugged in. It charged, but when I chose USB input it said no device detected.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Blue Train posted:

The head unit has to support android, the phone is capable of doing it

So a high end radio made a year ago only supports iPhone over USB and not android? That doesn't seem right.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Well that's a bummer 😢

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

incogneato posted:

Does your car have Bluetooth? Or did the USB functionality do something that Bluetooth doesn't?

It has Bluetooth but doesn't show album art or song information. The USB did that as well as voice control.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Ok so it wasn't asking me anything when I plugged in the USB cable. So I tried another USB cable and it actually asked if I wanted to change that setting.

So I did and it will now play the Samsung song that came in the phone, but I can't get it to play Amazon Prime music at all, only that one preloaded song.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

God I can't wait to get rid of this car.

Thanks for the help everyone.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Eventually the impurities in the water that got inside of the phone will start to cause corrosion, and will then cause solder points to fail.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Anyone know when the Moto G5+ is due out in the USA and what the price will be? Trouble finding definitive answers via google.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Got to play with a Moto G5 today in a Best Buy mobile store. Very nice looking phone. Premium feeling, and very quick. Didn't feel like I was holding a sub $300 phone by any means.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Isn't that it for flagships?

Google Pixel 2
Samsung S8
LG G6
HTC U
Moto Whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Man you guys cannot accept that a single Samsung thing might possibly be good, can you?

I can post more about Knox and why it's good when I get to work and not on my phone, if you're actually genuinely interested.

Things I have learned from this thread:

The only good phones in existence are the Pixel and the Moto G.