Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

XIII posted:

What do you guys think of capacitive vs on screen buttons?

My screen protector gets in the way of the capacitive buttons, luckily I'm rooted, so I can push both volume keys at the same to boot into custom recover and unmount my SDCard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Pro-tip: do not use Verizon auto-billing for FIOS. Just pay it manually every month. When you end your service and they charge you an insane number for "equipment return fees" and then promise to reimburse you when they get it back you can just say "nope, not paying that" and return the hardware prompty and be done with them. Any other process results in you having to fight them for months to get your $300 back.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

DangerZoneDelux posted:

It breaks my head to think that my Nexus 6 left China on 12/29 and was delivered this morning.

Anybody add a tempered glass to one yet? Not sure which one to order off amazon

http://slickdeals.net/f/7548698-xtremeguard-christmas-sale-screen-protectors-full-body-protectors-91-off-when-you-buy-3-free-shipping

I have these on my N5, N9, iPhone, and iPad and they are excellent. Even better at $6.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

hotsauce posted:

Once upon a time, I rooted and stripped out all the manufacturer apps from an LG G3 (system apps). As in deleted them totally (not disabled). It was smooth sailing, until I reset it to, well, sell the thing. Factory reset...results? It was totally, 100% hosed. Would not boot. Wouldn't work. I was about to give it to Goodwill until I finally found some shady LG software.exe online to re-image it. This is a photo of sausage being made.

By the grace of something, it flashed to factory defaults and a stock system image. Godspeed, sir.

Nexus 6 now, right? Did you put the Note4 in SA Mart,yet?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

peepsalot posted:

Is there a way to auto upload my phone pics to something useful like google drive instead of google plus.

What's wrong with Google Photos? I agree it's a little clunky, but I'm amazed I can search for stuff like "photos of a bookcase" and it finds pictures of bookcases I took two years ago.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

baka kaba posted:

Dunno about bulk downloads, but if you go to your pics and click in the search box you get an Auto Backup category

You can check a bunch and bulk download, is that what you want?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

SA Mart.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah, it was actually worse without the management software. :(

As for the software, it's something put out specifically for SnapDragon chips. As far as I can tell, all it does is restrict app activity depending on time of day and battery level.

Factory data reset it is.

Please link this app. If it's not from the chip manufacture directly then I'd be concerned. Also, not power management apps just prevent an app from updating, but the app still loads, wakes up the CPU and requests some data. It's the waking the CPU that sucks up the battery (the modem does too, but the CPU is more of the problem). The power management apps just prevent the data request, but don't stop the CPU request. Infact, since the app doesn't get it's data they usually wake up the CPU more often because they are confused.

If you have an app that is draining your battery, then you need to isolate and remove that app. For me, that app was the MyATT app, it kept my phone awake for hours. Removing that really helped. Also turning off the "keep wifi on for location services even when not connected" helped, because the NJT ticket app was aggresively tracking my location and that setting allowed it to thrash the location services.

Greenify or other apps are just snake oil, masking a problem by creating another one. Ditch the bad apps instead.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Doomsday Jesus posted:

If it isn't is there a trusted site to do it?

ebay and hope for the best. I've used whatever was cheaper on ebay a few times. I figure if they don't work you can always dispute the charge.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Require More Fire posted:

Might be a Moto thing in general. I just got a the button remote headset for my Moto X and so far my research is that the remote will not work. Single button headsets work fine.

Moto themselves sell a one button headset:

http://www.motorola.com/us/accessories-headphones-speakers/Motorola-Earbuds/earbuds-pdp.html#story-sound-lumineers

So maybe that is the case.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

snipermonkey posted:

So I'm in the market for a new phone and the Moto G 4G phone caught my eye. Anybody have any experience with it? The price and specs look really tempting, and because it has a micro SD slot, I can reuse my old SD card which is a nice bonus. Or is there a new version on the horizon? Or a better phone in the same price bracket. I do live in Finland if that matters any.

I'd suggest getting the MotoX 2013 instead of the MotoG 4G. It's about the same price, and it's a better device.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

snipermonkey posted:

I wouldn't call over double the price of moto X 2013 the same price as a Moto G.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto-Universal-Unlocked-Black/dp/B00K0NRZSW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421460944&sr=8-1&keywords=moto+g+lte

$200

vs

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto-XT1058-16GB-Unlocked/dp/B00F3XUAJ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421460965&sr=8-1&keywords=moto+x+2013

$230

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

monster on a stick posted:

Note the X doesn't have an SD card slot, but that is what :yayclod: is for. It's a very nice phone and worth the extra cash.

If you ever need more than 16GB of music or videos on your phone please kill yourself.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

- Moto X (2nd Gen)

This

Seriously, it's not even a contest.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Isn't that the one from a year or so ago? Isn't the Droid Turbo the new one?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RZA Encryption posted:

Do you have the option of not getting either? When your employer gives you a phone, it's basically saying "you're always on the clock".

Congratulations, you've always had crappy jobs. My full time Linux system administration job provides me with a $100 stipend every month for a phone, and doesn't ever expect me to answer it on the weekend. In fact, my boss gets upset when customers contact us on the weekend, and even more upset when we respond, since we are setting a poor precedent.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, there's someone going through your 16000 photos looking for the one single topless photo in it all.

Of course it's loving algorithms.

That's also how come you can search for "yellow couch" and it will show you all your photos with a yellow couch in them. There's not a bunch of dudes there going through billions of photos describing the content of them all just so you can search them.

Related: http://googleresearch.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/a-picture-is-worth-thousand-coherent.html

I always though Amazon Mechanical Turk was sort of the backend for a lot of the development for these services. Like there's a log of algorithmic analysis, but a portion are sent to real people for verification.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

hotsauce posted:

Just a personal opinion. Not interested in a holy war.

I prefer the Note 4. (OMGGGGG WTF HOLY poo poo SARNSUNG!!1)

Huge phone with usability. Works for me. That and Lollipop is apparently trash.

Did you dump the N6 yet?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

LastInLine posted:

Sorry read that as "is there a way NOT to make the home screen rotate".

Yeah, Nova's the answer.
Yes, if only using a telephone were as nice as installing and running Linux.

I wish they'd let me set my own repos and allow me to compile all my apps from source.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

robodex posted:

Hey guys I've rooted my device and want to replace my SD card, what's the best way to change my battery. also i bricked my phone but it's totally not the fault of my rooted rom, how do i fix it? pls advise

http://store.apple.com/us/iphone

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

Well, this is a thing.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/01/microsoft-to-invest-in-cyanogen-hopes-to-take-android-away-from-google/

Hot on the heals of Cyanogen's comments about wanting to take Android away from google, Microsoft is going to pump $70mil of cash into them.

Someone should update the wikipedia page for "Throwing good money after bad" with this link.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Internet Explorer posted:

Either that or your company is still using Exchange 2003 which has a poo poo implementation of ActiveSync.

When I managed an Exchange 2003 server, I had a reoccuring problem with all my mobile users, both Android and iOS (I had an iPhone3GS at the time, and the other guy had a Galaxy S2), someone emailed us a HUGE zip file, like 100MB. We stupidly didn't have any limitations on attachment sizes. The email arrived to a support distribution list, and make all our phones turn into toasters while it tried to sync the file up. A few hours later it also crashed our exchange server. I forget how I fixed it, but I seem to remember mounting the exchange store offline and deleting the message manually from everyones inbox.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Hey I'm in the similar position of being an idiot fuckboy who smashed my Nexus 5 on the ground, however I have the disadvantage of living in Europe, where the free replacement deal isn't offered (I'd be happy to be wrong on this?). So, back to that other guy's question, is there any good DIY screen replacement kits out there?

Have you actually called Google and asked?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The N5 is back in stock in Black on the Play Store. If I was in the market for a phone and didn't want a clown shoe N6, I'd it's a really nice option.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'm basically peak Android Retard Sperg, and 5.0.2 is terrible on my N5. Music random stops playing if it's in the background, the battery barely lasts a day of use, and the phone just grinds to a halt after three or four days of use. It's really terrible. I've reflashed it a few times and it's never gotten any better.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Skeezy posted:

Apparently YouTube Music Key was going to e $7.99 and that would include All Access but I have no idea if that happened.

(I know Music Key is out but I mean the price point)

All Access includes Music Key right now. I have no idea of the beta status of it, but I'm an All Access guy and I have Music Key right, here, look.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

butt dickus posted:

I'm starting a rumor that Dell is making the new Nexus 7.

I saw a leaked pic of Huaweii Nexus 8 a few days ago,.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thermopyle posted:

I find the accuracy of the parking Google Now card to vary greatly. Sometimes it's like 30 feet and other times its hundreds of feet.

Of course this means you can't depend on it, but I guess as a last resort it's OK.

I commute by train and it's always telling me I'm parked at the World Train Center. I like to imagine I'm in the Simpson's episode where that happens to Homer's car.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Just about had it with this Nexus 5. Lollipop has already killed its usability and now it refuses to be charged by my Tylt Vu which is happily charging my N7 with no issues.

How can software kill the Qi charging?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ThermoPhysical posted:

This post has solidified the choice that I am NOT going to buy a Nexus 5 and shall pick up a 6. :v:

So are we talking Nexus S with Jellybean levels of bad?

My N5 is good for a day, but towards the next day it gets unusable. It really seems to be Google Music for some reason that kills it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Pro-tip: if you use the factory image to flash your Nexus device with updates (assuming you have an unlocked boot loader), you can edit the script and remove the -w from this line:

fastboot -w update image-name

and it will not wipe your personal data when you update.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just updated to 5.1 on my N5. Lets see how it goes. I'm traveling abroad for a few weeks, so I really hope I didn't jack up my phone and get stranded.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

LastInLine posted:

I'm almost certain that message came up on the last update I manually flashed and it definitely came up about forty seconds ago when I flashed it on my N5. Mine, however, lacked the "failed to allocate.." and "error: ..." lines and flashed as expected.

I did not do fastboot update, I flashed boot.img and system.img manually.

My fast boot output
code:
eMacbook:hammerhead-lmy47d eric$ ./flash-all.sh
target reported max download size of 1073741824 bytes
sending 'bootloader' (2579 KB)...
OKAY [  0.295s]
writing 'bootloader'...
OKAY [  0.495s]
finished. total time: 0.791s
rebooting into bootloader...
OKAY [  0.099s]
finished. total time: 0.099s
target reported max download size of 1073741824 bytes
sending 'radio' (45425 KB)...
OKAY [  1.583s]
writing 'radio'...
OKAY [  3.135s]
finished. total time: 4.718s
rebooting into bootloader...
OKAY [  0.097s]

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

LastInLine posted:

I agree with you because I have a Nexus 5. I'd probably be miffed if I had a Nexus 6 with its nuclear explosion level LED.

My N5 wakes me up when the LED flashes, it's so bright I usually turn the LED off completely.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

LastInLine posted:

gently caress that, go Moto E. It's literally just for work.

Yeah, this, what is your carrier? If you had a modern ATT or VZW plan you can just add the like for $15-25/month. Then just get a MotoE, if you only use their email app and set it to sync every fifteen minutes or whatever, and don't have anything else on it, I could see the battery lasting a couple days. Also, in your scenario of camping, you must be bringing a bag of some sort. Just keep a few spare batteries. Palm slap a battery in, and you'll be golden.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

SB35 posted:

Who has a phone with swappable batteries anymore? How about a gently caress off huge 10,000mah battery pack?

That's definitely an option too. A replaceable battery (not this discussion again) and a battery pack are slightly different in that battery can be swapped out, but the battery pack requires keeping the phone plugged in. In a sack while out camping, it's not a problem, but if you are traveling a lot and using the phone for pics/directions being tethered to the battery pack is a pain.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

butt dickus posted:

What a way to find out there's a new Pixel.

With an SD card slot, two usb3 ports and two USB C ports

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Hace posted:

I still don't understand who the Pixel is for exactly

I'd buy it and use it as a Linux machine, since it's Intel you can load Ubuntu on it pretty easily.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Free shipping finally Google joins 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Require More Fire posted:

I actually just had to explain this to my mom. I was over at my parents place for a family thing and I saw that she kept unlocking the phone to take photos. I asked her why she wouldn't just use the camera lockscreen shortcut and she said "that never works". So I took the phone and swiped the camera icon up and she had this :aaa: moment before she goes, "I thought you were just supposed to tap it!"

No but you should just be able to look at it and know what to do. Otherwise it's poor design.