Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Do we know if the 5x are going to be in Verizon stores anytime soon? Move around for work, sometimes without much warning so I don't want to try and order one online to a specific spot unless I have to, but the local store I went to didn't have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

bull3964 posted:

No, it won't.

Google did not partner with ANY carriers for this round, so the two phones will not be in any carrier stores.

Womp, ok thanks.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Thermopyle posted:

The weird part for me is how it changed his name to something that is apparently no one on the planets name.

This is just the early beginnings of the Google ai gaining the free will to gently caress with us

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Hot Dog Day 42069 posted:

I mean if you're looking for fulfillment from a consumer electronics purchase, then yes I guess these are sad times.

uhh you speak like sexbots arent just around the corner

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is the original of that above city shot, for anyone interested: https://www.flickr.com/photos/vladsavov/30575027656/

drat, I was going to wait until it dropped in price, but I don't know if I want to wait that long. A good camera is one of my priorities

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Mental Hospitality posted:

All this Pixel hype is making me feel real bad I can't shell out 700+ dollars on another phone at the moment.

I'm hoping it gets a price drop by tax return time next year

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Nova launcher is one of the few things good enough I even used my survey funbux to upgrade to premium or w/e it is

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
My pixel has shipped! Estimated arrival is Monday. I love my moto x 2014, but the battery and charging port have been on their last legs for a while

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Day and a half in with my pixel and I'm in love with the fingerprint unlock, even though from what I understand it isn't the best security wise?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

bull3964 posted:

PULL UP, PULL UP!!

My first time having a fingerprint reader and it is seriously great. Even has its own motions, can swipe down on it for the notifications pull-down screen. And holy crap it is so much faster than my 2014 moto x.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
wrong thread

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Endless Mike posted:

He has switched to an iPhone within the past few weeks, actually.

he's had both for a long time, during the campaign you could usually tell if it was trump or a staffer sending a tweet from if it was sent from android or iphone

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
The SA forums support pressurized cheese PMs but not search

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
I still have my og pixel XL and love it but the battery and the charging port have and continue to decline and now the gps bounces all over the place for 2 minutes before it picks up where I am. Might have to finally give it up

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
did the coronavirus write the thread title

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Sab669 posted:

My pixel 3 just updated and now I have this stupid launcher bar thing when I tap the Overview button (or whatever the Square icon is called?)

Is there a way to disable it in Nova Launcher? I couldn't find a setting for it :(

I had this same problem. You have to turn off nova launcher (go to the default pixel launcher), long press on an empty part of the home screen, go to settings -> suggestions then untoggle Apps in overview & top of all apps list

It still sometimes does it when I first turn on the phone for a seemingly random amount of time but eventually it goes back to normal

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Ardlen posted:

Is there any way to get rid of it if you're using the default pixel launcher? Those app icons and search bar are still in the overview screen even with that setting turned off.

No idea, sorry. I highly recommend the nova launcher though!

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Zonekeeper posted:

My OG Pixel XL's battery is starting to go, so between the 4a being imminent and the 4 being on discount I have no idea what the gently caress to do. Grab the 4 now, or wait for the 4a?

I'm perfectly happy with my current phone and wouldn't even consider replacing it if not for the battery, so I'm cool with sticking with the Pixel line. But looking around it seems the 4 has a less than stellar reputation.

This is exactly the situation Im in. Perfectly happy with my OG Pixel XL other than the battery is dying and charging is getting pretty slow. Do we know if the 4a will have a fingerprint sensor? That would make a big difference for me, very used to it on my pixel and I keep hearing bad things about face recognition unlock

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Blackplayer EX can do that. Not through the playlist tab, but go into folders and you can play a specific one or make a playlist out of it

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Ugh a pixel 4a sounds perfect but they keep pushing it back as my phone continues to degrade. I'm using a rubber band to make sure it charges as otherwise the cord just falls right out. drat marketing majors :argh:

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 23, 2020

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
I'm still using my og pixel xl. Battery life is getting bad but apart from that it still works great

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

gradenko_2000 posted:

my old phone, a OnePlus A3000, and at least one more Samsung smartphone older than that whose name escapes me, would never be able to use wifi and have its wifi-hotspot turned on at the same time

nowadays I have Redmi Note 8 Pro, and this one can have the wifi and the hotspot turned on at the same time

is this a thing that actually works, or is the display just fooling me? what could I possibly use this for? I thinking if I'm at a friend's house where my phone connects to their wifi, I can have my laptop connect to my phone's hotspot and it'll use their wifi so I don't have to ask for the password a second time? Or I can use my phone as some kind of very-short-ranged wifi signal extender?

every wifi phone should theoretically be able to do it, but lots of them you have to root the phone to make it work or download a 3rd party app. dont really know why
https://www.guidingtech.com/android-wifi-repeater/

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
I really hope Aug 3rd is the pixel 4a release date, or very soon after. My og pixel xl's battery and charging port are bad and only getting worse, just been hanging in there for the 4a. If they delay again for another month I might just have to go with something else. Especially annoying if it is just some marketing gimmick

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Maybe just don't do illegal stuff?

Yeah ok nerd

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Ah, no worries. I was referring to this

but yeah, I don't see any way to get it on the home screen. Thanks though!

Do you have nova launcher? Because you can make a lock screen shortcut using a nova widget
Edit:
Long press on home screen and select widgets

Drag and drop the "nova action" widget icon

Select screen lock action, it gave me a couple options, accessibility or administrator lock, I did the admin lock and it made me enter my password instead of just the finger print sensor

Voila

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 16, 2021

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Can try clearing the cache of those individual apps too. Can also try resetting network settings but you'll have to re enter all your wifi passwords.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Apple will come up with a new proprietary lightning cable, no way they go usb c

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Sir Lemming posted:

My wife's Pixel 3 is having an issue seemingly with the power button. It randomly goes into a thing where it starts doing some combination of:

• locking & unlocking
  • rebooting
  • calling the police

From some research the best thing we can figure out is bashing the power button against a table corner a few times. And, that does help. But it starts happening again, and naturally, we're concerned about what happens if the phone is unattended at the time.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or can anyone think of a better solution? Maybe partially disabling the power button somehow?

Under settings, safety and emergency, emergency SOS there should be a toggle to turn off to stop it from calling the police from the power button.

Is the phone in a case? Sometimes cases that don't sit exactly right can hold a button down. Or if it has had juice/soda spilled on it that can cause buttons to stick too.

I would back it up, try a factory reset to rule out software glitches, then, if it has no other physical damage on it, contact your carrier to see if they'll swap it out

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

hooah posted:

No, I can unlock it immediately and it'll happen. This is a Pixel 5. I already factory reset the drat thing to try to solve this.

I wouldn't think so since whatever app I was using doesn't act like it's restarting fresh when I switch back to it. But it's entirely possible that my knowledge of memory management symptoms is outdated.

I have a pixel 5 and it has never done this

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

hooah posted:

Nope. Nothing managing the battery but the OS. This even happens in safe mode, and as I mentioned, immediately after factory resetting.

Have you/can you try using a customer launcher like nova?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Grumpwagon posted:

I have a weird problem with my fully updated, stock Android 12 T-Mobile Pixel 4a 5g. The microphone is extremely muffled

Are the speaker/mic holes at the bottom of the phone near the charger port full of lint at all?

hooah posted:

Just tried Nova and it didn't make a difference. I also tried disabling Everywhere Launcher but also no change.

Everything I'm seeing online is saying that intended behavior is to return to whatever screen you were on when it was locked. There are a bunch of people who want it to return to home screen every time and all the responses are that it isn't possible. Maybe trade phones with one of those people ;)

Maybe the physical flash memory is going bad and the rest isn't enough to keep apps open when screen is off? Might be a warranty swap situation if you are still covered

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 16, 2022

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Edit: what grumpwagon said

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Mr Interweb posted:

really? i figured something not built for gaming/4k watching alone would drop it down substantially. i'm also willing to downgrade the storage to 64 gb too if need be

and yes, it's U.S.

Mid range phones start around $600, anything less is gonna be a Samsung A series budget phone that is gonna be slow and have a not great camera and/or battery

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Ok $600 is a little high, but $300 is definitely no longer mid range phone territory.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Soul Glo posted:

Except all the people ITT that report problems with them

It's like 2 people, they are just very, very vocal about it

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh my gooood I just enrolled the S22U into work profile through the MS Intouch or whatever the gently caress it's called and it disabled developer options. So I'm back to enormous text on my ginormous phone lol. Is there any other way to set it without rooting? I remember OnePlus had this as a standard option.

Use the search in settings for either text or font and it should come up

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
S22 ultra is one of the best phones on the market right now, up there with the iphone 13 pro max

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

smoobles posted:

My Pixel 5 suddenly started having extreme (several seconds) input lag as well as some touch inputs not recognized altogether.

Restarting the phone fixes it temporarily, but a few hours later it starts happening again. Is the kind of thing a factory reset could fix?

If it's a software issue potentially, you can try starting it in safe mode to see if it's a 3rd party app doing it

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 7, 2022

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

smoobles posted:

I did this and yeah it seems like a 3rd party app, is there a way to find out which?

Probably not an easy way. Have you checked battery stats to see if any apps are drawing way more power than they should be? Otherwise it's just delete them in batches until it stops and narrow it down until you find which app it is. I'd start with ones you installed recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
My og pixel xl stopped charging, but that was 5 years in so I figure that's fair. My Pixel 5 has been very solid so far.