Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Thermopyle posted:

That seems silly, people are going to lose their phones 100x more often than someone targets them for theft unless you work in some amazing high stakes world of corporate espionage. If that's the case you should have a policy that completely disallows the use of smart unlock because they could just steal the phone and walk over to your place of business to unlock it.

Regardless, it's irrelevant. Trusted Locations should use wifi to trigger high accuracy location fixes, and, again generally people aren't worried about targeted attacks. So, to say it's "dumb" just isn't completely accurate.
The random person losing their phone isn't a big deal. In that case the thief simply wants the hardware, not the data. Remote wipe and don't worry about it.
The targeted theft *IS* after your data, and is likely going from theft to getting what they want very quickly.

And the line I was talking about is using only wifi. Using wifi to trigger GPS...seems laggy, but ok. The line I was responding to was: "that it isn't using wifi as the main determinate for being home when that's easily the most reliable way to tell".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

PinnacleOrBust posted:

drat, I just checked my SIM slot after reading this, cracked both to the front and back of my black N5.
Huh. Mine is cracked on the bottom of the slot towards the back.
Hadn't noticed that.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Cool.
Downloading now and will flash when I get home.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Civil posted:

No surprise that LG is considering staying away from the Snapdragon 810. What a disaster.
Indeed.
They put out a phone SoC with more cores and a faster clock speed than most desktops being sold today. I know the cores are totally different in design, but jesus christ stop demanding 10ghz octo-core SoCs.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

nimper posted:

I actually like the way it's done in Lollipop. You can't accidentally set it on completely silent mode; you have to tap the button like you really mean it. Plus you can configure how long silent or priority mode will last.

Also, once your tablet gets 5.1 you'll see that they changed it so you can tell alarms to interrupt "None" mode. Hopefully this migrates to your phone soon.
Also silent mode until next alarm.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

In a sort of "anti April Fools'" joke, Motorola is oince again offering a discount on off-contract Moto X phone's ordered trough their Motomaker website:
https://www.motorola.com/us/motorola-shop-all-sale.html

You can even sign up to get a code tha is valid until the 15th if you're hesitant about pulling the trigger right now.

I'm this close to getting one...I desperately need a new phone, and it's always been a toss between N6 and Moto X...with the cheaper price and not-as-large screen, I'm going to say the Moto X wins.
Still doesnt have qi.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

butt dickus posted:

What's actually useful is not having to fiddle with a cord right before I go to sleep. I don't care about the extra hour or so it takes to charge my phone because I'm sleeping.
I agree with this, but I know its a point of contention.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Desk Lamp posted:

The Note 4, Droid Turbo and GS6 already do both and I'm pretty sure so will any phone worth a drat released this year. We don't have to choose one over the other.
True.
I really want to Apple bash, but I'll refrain.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

N5, 5.1 LMY47I
Anybody else unable to lock it to portrait? Apparently the choices are auto or portrait. :/

I wanted to take a landscape phone while holding phone portrait (actually upside down portrait. :( )

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

LastInLine posted:

You are correct if you meant to say that it cannot be locked to landscape.
That is what I meant.
Oh well.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

baka kaba posted:

What do you want to do though? What are you trying to lock into landscape? If it's photos you can rotate them afterwards - you can probably also hold the shutter button/volume to fix your shot, and rotate it while holding, but I haven't tried it
The lizard on the wall was vertical, but I still wanted a landscape orientation photo without having to rotate afterward.

e: gdi, landscape!=portrait.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 4, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

baka kaba posted:

You mean a landscape one? The photo should be orientated however you were holding the phone when you took it, portrait or landscape, and always the right way up. If you want to turn things on their side or upside down, you'll have to swipe over and hit edit and do a quick spin

There are probably camera apps that let you disable this and work in a fixed landscape mode, if that's your jam
Yes, that was my goal. To hold the phone portrait but get a landscape shot without editing.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

I don't get it.
The S6E is just an excuse to add $100 onto the cost of a phone.
edit: Actually, change the :shrug: into :capitalism:

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 5, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

hotsauce posted:

Sony HTC'd us. Take existing product. Add overheating processor that's throttled to death. Don't add compelling anything. Put it up for sale in a vacuum and tell everyone to deal.

Good thing the M8 and Z3 are relatively cheap now.

Good luck to them.
Yup.
Are we actually hoping for a good device from LG as the last chance of the season?

Guess the folks who grabbed N6s made the right call.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I just got a survey from Rewards asking what year it was and when I pressed 2015 immediately it chastised me for answering too fast and told me to try again. What the hell google.

Also, you can disable the resizing in Touchwiz. Go to the Multi window settings in System Settings and uncheck "Pop-up view shortcut".
Google just paid me $.24 for answering that there are 7 continents in the world.

:google:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Those are bot checks.
Regardless, its still weird.

Also, I need to find something to spend this $6 Ive accumulated from surveys before they start expiring.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Reverse Centaur posted:

I'm getting more than ever. Every time I visit a mall or retail area it lists about six stores and wants to know which ones I went in.
Does that to me too.
I keep answering "none of the above" and getting (slightly) paid for it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

dphi posted:

USB type-c can't come soon enough.
Honestly surprised none of this crop of phones included it.

e: hoping next nexus will have it. They switched the chromebook pixel to type C.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 29, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

MikusR posted:

Not a mistery. That is a process that unifies location requests for a number of weather widgets (lockscreen, s view, homescreen). It has a bug that makes it constantly use gps.
Sounds like Samsung. Probably not something they can update through play store, too.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Regarding the Snapdragon 808, it comes with two A57 cores and four A53 ones. Is that still a big.LITTLE configuration? Because it's asymmetric. Or will Android use all six cores eventually? Or will it end up scheduling two A57 and two A53?
2 big 4 little.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

hotsauce posted:

Does it charge or just maintain?...
My N5 actually overheated while qi charging once.
Hit day, direct sun, screen on while navigating and streaming audio was apparently too much for it.

Anyway, it does a slight charge in that situation for me. But if I know I need battery now my airdock has a 2a charger and a microUSB plug so I can just plug in directly.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

butt dickus posted:

Someone just sold a G2x for $40 in TYOOL 2015.
Maybe they needed a trade in phone?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Rastor posted:

Hey look at that, we're hearing about the Moto X 2015:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Third-generation-Motorola-Moto-X-specs-leak_id68996

The rumor gives it similar internals to the LG G4, while keeping the (relatively) small 5.2" screen size.
Sounds good. Maybe this one will finally add qi so I can upgrade my N5.

spincube posted:

Problem: Android version numbers are a fuzzy, incoherent mess with no firm development or release schedule
Solution: Numbers replaced with letters (plus trailing point releases anyway because uh-oh :saddowns:)
Am I the only one that thinks most manufacturers should use the year for major versions and dot versions for updates? example: Nexus 5 in 2015, Nexus 6 in 2016; Galaxy S 5 in 2015, Galaxy S 6 in 2016; Android 5.x.x in 2015, Android 6.x.x in 2016....

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Super Dude posted:

What happens when a manufacturer wants to come out with an entire new phone? It starts with 5/6/etc.? Also, what happens if Android isn't ready for an entire new release that year? Google and manufactures don't always line up.
Model Z 2015 instead of model X 2015.
Android release names are arbitrary anyway. One per year isn't exactly hard.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

kri kri posted:

This must be it since I use GV and hangouts and I can't tell at all who is in a group, and I can't really add people to a group message reliably.
Yup.

In a lot of ways I really wish the GVoice app was its own ecosystem. LIke inside the app it would have everything google voice. messages, dialer, call log, voicemail, etc. Hangouts should be the same way, Lync should be the same way, etc. The number of places I have to check for SMS/MMS/messaging depending on how they come in is insane.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

kri kri posted:

But the droid turbo is already out?

Turbo has physical buttons.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Already flashed M on my 5.
At work.

At least I work IT so its semi job related.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Anything critically broken? I'm debating it, but I use my phone as a train pass, and if I flash right before I leave there's I won't have a train ticket.
I did a full wipe, and nothing so far.
If you depend on it for that kind of thing just wait til you get home.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Is M broken enough to not daily drive?
I really haven't seen any issues with mine. But I haven't used it a ton either since I kind've broke myself today.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Slimy Hog posted:

Is this a refrence to the whole jailbait thing that happened a few years back?
I would say so, yes.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

nerve posted:

A finger print reading, Qi charging, turbo charge capable Nexus with front facing speakers and at least as good of battery life as the 6. Dream phone.
And USB 3(.1?)c.
They mentioned support for type C connectors during the keynote and the chrome pixel got it too.

Should be another 2 year worthy phone.
Really hoping google figures out how to do a camera this time.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

So it's been a few days.... how's that M preview working out for those brave souls?
zero issues for my N5.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

vyst posted:

Samsung is releasing a S6 mini that's 4.6 but the screen is pretty meh. :-/
Samsung hasn't figured out that small != crap; they keep doing compact models that use poo poo components for the guts.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

Wow, can't believe how wrongly everyone is divvying up their possessions into their pockets
Same

Keys front left
Phone front right
(very thing) wallet back right

e: thing!=thin

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 3, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Desk Lamp posted:

You can even do it when the screen is off, pretty handy.
Last I heard its screen off only if charging, or anytime screen is on. With appropriate settings selected.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Can we turn off the super deep sleep thing in M on a per-app basis? Tasker isn't catching time base triggers, so my lights aren't dimming when they are supposed to.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Tunga posted:

Settings -> Apps -> Tasker -> Battery -> Ignore optimisations
Thanks. I saw that button but didn't know what it did.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who's never had any problems with Android drivers on Windows.
Getting it working again after a format took me a few minutes of frustration, but its really never been that bad.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Anybody else on M want to admit they aren't real happy with the super-sleep/hibernation/whatever low power mode it enforces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

DemonMage posted:

Because? It's only supposed to do it if the phone hasn't been touched in hours. What are you having problems with?

WiFi seems to be disconnecting when not in use, first refresh fails when pulling our my phone and going directly to awful because of it, Tasker not performing tasks on time sometimes. Random like issues, but annoying.