Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

bull3964 posted:

There's a lot of that going around with lollipop, not just with the Moto G.

Which is a pretty poor showing considering that Lollipop was billed as an update especially built for lower-end devices. The aggressive App culling is something that should really be fixed, especially since it doesn't seem necessary at all - I have a poo poo-ton of Apps open on my N6 and even so I'm a hair under 1 GB RAM used typically (unless Muzei decides to run crazy and blow up to 300 MB).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

dissss posted:

Nah the Nexus is quite a lot thicker and a lot wider

It's not as tall though, a few millimeters shorter, which looks a lot smaller thanks to the far smaller bezels when you put it next to the iPhone. And thicker is relative - it's narrower on the edges, thicker in the middle. Having handled both (my brother-in-law has a iPhone 6+, I have the N6), the N6 feels a lot better in the hand and pocket to me. The iPhone 6+ on the other hand is better if you use your phone lying on the desk, despite the small camera bump.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

deadlyrhetoric posted:

Is there like an Android portable music device that isn't my mobile phone?

Both Sony and Samsung have/had such offerings. However, none sold well as they were expensive as poo poo and didn't get any support or major updates. Next to it you have a ton of cheap Chinese offerings. As other said, a cheap phone/tablet would be the best choice.

LastInLine posted:

Lollipop has been fine on all my current devices. My only complaint has been dumb volume controls.

Same. I have Lollipop on 4 devices and don't have any issues, except the things which weren't thought out like the volume controls. Which still work, just in a stupid way.

Decius fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 7, 2015

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rastor posted:

On my Moto X 2014 lollipop is really great, on my Nexus 9 it's good, and on my Nexus 7 2012 it's no good at all.

Well, the N7 2012 is approaching 3 years of lifetime, and it was only a middling SoC in the first place. My iPad 4, which is of the same generation, only with about 2.5 times the computing power isn't doing great under iOS 8 either (although it aged better than the N7 - for 300 € more it better be!). 2012 to 2014 was still a lot of development and improvement in terms of computing power in mobile devices. Only this generation (SD 800/A8 and forward) has it slowed down a lot in favour of better power management.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Daily Forecast posted:

So then we're back to the start, because you're still dependent on the amount of physical data that your phone can hold. 64 GB? That's cute. I'll be over here with my phone that can hold three times as much.

If I need so much space, that I can't put all the stuff I need in 32-64 GB I just take a 1 TB 2.5" drive and put it to my phone via OTG, but aside from really long travels (where I usually have a tablet or laptop anyway) I can't think of a scenario where I would need it regularly.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Android takes up 8gb on the nexus 5? :confused:

600 MB for the OS actually. But you need recovery, you need space for updates, you need space for cache, you need all kind of space not being occupied by actual OS files. Also, 32 GB aren't 32 GB.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Fixed that for you; Samsung's an outlier in this conversation.

Samsung used Snapdragons in the West until last year and still managed to have electronic image stabilization on them. It's a pretty weak justification by Google. Same as how the super-image chip made it impossible to use OIS or why they charge about 100 € more in Europe than USD in € + 20 % VAT would be, even beating Apple in the overcharge game. Or why they couldn't add wireless charging. Pretty disappointed with Google this year to be honest. Well, outside Chromecast that is.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

wooger posted:

So can you name some apps that restored with settings? I have found none.

The Something-App interestingly enough restored with my username and settings already set up on my Nexus 7 and 9 yesterday (and if I had been patient enough to wait 3 hours I could have installed them via OTA-sideload instead of wiping...). But that might have been because I set them up via NFC bump from my Nexus 6. 7 years and we still don't have a consistently working backup/restore function.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

cebrail posted:

I wouldn't call it paranoid, they are being tracked by Google and the Government. Google Now is scary for a lot of people because they never think about how much Google really knows about them, and with Now it becomes kind of obvious.

Sure we all are, but that is mostly happening at the provider level, not so much the OS/Google level (still happening there too as the Snowden reveals have shown), because it is far easier to collect the data without interference there, tidily packed up with a bow on top. You are being watched, but outside of ditching cell phones for good there isn't much you can do. Even Securephone and similar stuff will still communicate enough data to your provider to make you trackable and quantifiable.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mu Zeta posted:

I like the fingerprint reader at the bottom lip

Which could still put into the small lip LG or Samsung have on their phones. I don't mind them on the back (if you don't put it on a stupid spot like Samsung), but it seems unnecessary to put it there just because the scanner under the screen doesn't work yet.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Jacobus Spades posted:

Is this really a problem on Android? It seems like a lot of users in this thread report more update issues on average but I assumed they were opted into the beta program.

Basically nobody outside of us few thousand nerds really cares about updates or likes them. For most people updates mean something works worse or not at all or has changed from what you liked. And sometimes if you lucky it fixed something you cared about, had problems with or does something better or more. But the large majority of the fixes and improvement probably don't matter for you, since they fix features you don't use or fix security issues you don't even know about.
Nobody expects yearly updates for their stereo or fridge and phones have become appliances some time ago. Even cars often only get updates installed if they fix something the specific customer complained about.

I mean, how much do you look forward for the whole Windows update experience every month?

Nonetheless should there at least be a update to be annoyed with.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Yawgmoft posted:

I know this thread mostly argues about pixel vs Samsung, but is there any reason to avoid the V30 once it's actually available? I listen to a lot of music on the go so if everyone else is abandoning the headphone jack and a note 8 is a lot of $$$ for little extra over the S8, what's the downside to getting the V30?

Outside of the bootloop fear (which is as rational as fearing the Note 8 exploding) not much. The OLED doesn't reach the full blacks and brightness of the Samsung OLEDs at least in pre-production units and you possibly have to wait until November until it launches (if the date for Germany is a guide). Also the Note probably isn't much more expensive by then - seems LG prices the V30 about 100 dollars below the Note 8, and by November that might be the street price of the Note 8.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Thermopyle posted:

Samsung doesn't have a track record of exploding phones. LG has a long track record of bootlooping phones.

All of the 808/810 generation, which was now two years ago. And since people managed to fix it by disabling cores it seems to be a problem of this Snapdragon version and LG's implementation.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

They do alright now when they use off-the-shelf cores and don’t attempt their Project Denver dynamic recompilation garbage. The non-Denver version of Tegra K1 was pretty good, as is the Tegra X1. They’re both a bit dated now though. The newest Tegras (X2 and Xavier) seem to be emphasizing consumer applications less, and I’m not sure what Nvidia’s strategy with that division is now. Yeah they’d still work in something like a phone, but it looks like they’re pushing hard to cash in on the deep learning coprocessor market.

Project Denver was so incredibly stupid. My Nexus 9 was blazingly fast one moment only to feel like molasses a second later. Why did they ever think the whole thing was a good idea? The Pixel C on the other hand still works really well, as does the Switch (although I wish Nintendo had sprung for the next gen version, Switch versions are a pretty big step down compared to the PC version and console versions at times).

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Combat Pretzel posted:

So rumors are that at least the Pixel XL 2 will have eSIM. What does that mean? That I have to run to my provider every time I want to switch between two phones (for whatever reason), because there's no physical SIM card to swap?

No, other way round if done correctly. It should allow you to switch SIMs on the fly, without changing cards at all - if it is implemented like Apple does. You basically only toggle a software switch to switch accounts, not the physical "account ID" token any more.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Combat Pretzel posted:

But for initial setup? Do I have to go to a provider store to get the phone set up? Or do you just need to enter some codes into the phone?

The big goal is that you simply go to the website/App of the provider and make an account and that's it, everything SIM-related is put on your phone directly, inside of seconds, without anything to switch or put in. How it will work in the meantime - depends on the provider. You might get a SIM card and a eSIM, you might have to wait until they activate it - it's still a mess and that's with just one serious hardware provider with it yet.

Edit: And I doubt they have only eSim on the Pixel 2 XL, like Apple they will provide both for quite some time I think.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Don Lapre posted:

Yes the ultrawide phone screens are probably gonna see more burn in issues unless you crop videos.

Black doesn't burn in since it's just a switched off pixel.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Don Lapre posted:

Right, so the inside 16:9 area of the phone will be dimmer than the outside area over time.

"Over time" meaning not noticeable in over 5 years with current displays, even if you really use them a lot. At least in theory (as you can only really tell in hindsight). It's a bit like worrying over the daily write rate in SSDs outside of enterprise environments.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

spincube posted:

To be fair: absent of any context, their frustration is valid. It's not right that a feature was whisked away like that: it assumes all sorts of things on the part of the user, like oh sure they read about it days in advance on their usual tech blogs and can seamlessly transition to something else because they know what NFC unlocking is and how they use it (if they use it), they know how it'll affect their usage and enjoyment of their device, and they know (if applicable) how to mitigate losing the feature.

I mean, pearl-clutching aside, someone really should start holding Google's feet in the fire more regarding their customer service. Beyond having their Settings chat app telling you how to adjust the screen brightness, or to reboot the device if it feels like it's slow.

(I didn't use the feature in question, feel free to correct me if there was indeed a :siren:THIS IS GOING AWAY:siren: advance message or something.)

It's a feature so rarely used even the turbo nerds of /r/Android didn't notice for at least a month that it was gone, until the guy made is big effortpost about it. Google saying it was a absolute edge case seems justified in this case. But yes, they at least should give out notice in time.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

hooah posted:

Ugh, except those stupid rounded screen corners. Why are those even a thing?

Because they look nice and don't pose an issue at all (especially on ~2:1 phones where they don't even slightly cut into video content).

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Thermopyle posted:

I mean, the Pixel 2 isn't out yet so I don't think anyone can recommend it, but assuming its as good as the Pixel 1...

Let's rate the Pixel 2 a 10. The S8 is probably 6.5-7ish, and going off their reliability track record the V30 is probably a 4ish.

(ratings based on flagship phones)

The Pixel 2 has no wireless charging, expandable storage nor a headphone jack and a design right out of 2012. Sometimes the whole Nexus warrior thing seems a bit zelotic. And I say this as someone whose last thee phones were two Nexuses and a near stock Moto X 2012.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ColdPie posted:

It's a black rectangle, dude, what do you want?

One where more than 60 % of the front of the black rectangle actually has a function. Like modern phones at this price point.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Incessant Excess posted:

I think one of the rumors is that the Pixel 2 will also have some kind of dedicated image processing chip that would make the camera better in some way?

Pretty sure Google always used their own solution instead of relying on the Snapdragon built-in functions for this in recent years.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Having used their newest version of their UI for some time now: It's not bad. It has actually some very neat ideas I'd love to see in Vanilla (sliding away the button bar, their Internet browser, secure folder, designated sound output per App, the Bixby voice controls...).

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ShoogaSlim posted:

Quick, someone get an audiophile ITT stat to tell us how this speaker isn't actually that good.

It's at least pretty expensive for something that seemingly boils down to a Marshall Stanmore (which can be had for 250.-) with a Chromecast built in. But if it sounds similarly, you get good sound.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Taffer posted:

lmao separate pen. google you are so bad at this

Took a page out of MS' and Apple's book.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Why do these mobile companies do exactly the same AR stuff nobody used on the 3DS again? Is this still the aftermath of the 2016 Pokemon Go summer hype?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Can we stop trotting out the bogus and useless DXOmark?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Google makes a creepshot camera now?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Combat Pretzel posted:

Sheesh, I just looked up the iPhone 8 Plus 64GB price over here for fun, it's cheaper than the Pixel 2 XL.

Basically every phone except the iPhone X is cheaper here (1049 € in Germany, not that Google even sells it here in Austria). Google doesn't expect to sell many again it seems.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Incessant Excess posted:

You could order with a VPN and LogoIX if you really want to.

Didn't work last year with the Pixel, shipping was only to the CC address. It worked however earlier this year with Google Home. For me it's moot anyway, I chose the Note 8 after it was clear there would be no headphone jack and no wireless charging on the Pixel XL.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Incessant Excess posted:

Did your order get cancelled or were you unable to order in the first place?

Unable to place.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

EdEddnEddy posted:

Was there any announcement that the screens are HDR this time around?

With 2017's OLEDs it would be hard for them not to be (max brightness requirement aside).

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

I hope they improved on the software a lot since pre-release, because Samsung and Apple might not do it anywhere near perfect, but they sure as hell do it better than this:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Phosphine posted:

gently caress you alllllll.

:(

The page header still says "Buy Pixel, Chromecast, Google home and much more", despite offering exactly one of those.

That's the thing I hate most with Google. They go out of their way to make it difficult for you to buy their products if you aren't American. With Samsung, Apple, LG even Amazon they at least try to sell you their product, Google does the opposite, you have to jump through hoops to get it. Still waiting for Youtube Red. Or a version of Youtube Live that's not a version I have to download from APK-Mirror. Or a Google Home I don't have to import with all the hassles once you have an issue that requires you to call support.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

MMD3 posted:

and the processing speed is substantially slower than the iPhone 8...

The other points are because of hardware cycles and Google didn't know Apple would include wireless charging. Next year I assume it's back again. However, the speed of the 835 is faster than anything you will need, even a few years down the road, You probably will exchange either phone - iPhone or Pixel -, before the speed is an issue because of the battery (or damage if your S7 Edge is an indicator ;)). Benchmarks are mostly bragging rights at this point, where the middle class is already fast enough for nearly everything. In real use a Pixel or Note or V30 might be faster than a iPhone in the one case and slower in the next, but overall both have more power than you can put to use (even with AR/VR gimmicks).

Also, I simply can't get over how badly Google hosed up the Pixel 2 design. How can you make something that's beaten by your beloved 2013 device with the same screen size. There's 4 years of tech development and miniaturization between them:

Front facing speakers fit into small bezels as the XL (and Nexus 6) have shown. The N5 even had wireless charging and a headphone jack fitted into the smaller chassis. Considering the improvements in 18650 capacity in the time (2700 mAh to 3500 mAh in the same size) the battery shouldn't be bigger either despite the higher capacity if they didn't cheap out.

Decius fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 5, 2017

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

CLAM DOWN posted:

If I get a pair of USB-C earbuds that would work in my Note 8 and Pixel XL 2, which ones should I get

One that support Digital Audio over USB-C, since those that only route out Analog Audio don't work with the Pixels! USB-C makes everything so much easier! Who needs stupid headphone jacks!

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Wacky Delly posted:

I've seen some of those in google's other marketing efforts (specifically the Verge's "first look" video) So I'd assume they're legit.

It's still a selection of the best pictures they got and at best an indicator what you can get ideally. But if that's what you get with every picture or every fifth or fiftieth is the interesting part. Even my old 2013 Moto X was able to make some amazing shots (at least in the hands of my photo nerd sister), but was not something I would call a good camera.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

orange sky posted:

Microsoft is a toxic company dominated by internal politics and power struggles. That's basically the whole reason. That and annual bonuses. Their entire compensation program needs to burn to the ground and be recreated from the ground up.

Yeah, implementing a Randian system that pits not only department against department but employee against employee isn't such a good idea when all your products are made by huge teams that depend on collaboration.

"Downsizing" all your QA isn't helpful either, suddenly there were weekly and daily headlines about broken updates, updates destroying PCs and everything loving up. It took the Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book over six month to become useable and dependable.

Then having no strategy, faith or trust in your products or fostering the impression in your customers that you won't support products. Why should anyone buy a hardware product or buy into their ecosystem outside of enterprise and desktop Windows, when they will abandon it inside of a generation anyway? They change their App and service strategy more often than Google does their messaging App.

Oh yeah, and specific to mobile: Starting with a extremely bare-bones system, that develops like molasses and has no Apps and not fixing either. What's the use when it looks slick and is extremely fast, when you can't do basic functions and have none of the most basic Apps and services? When Blackberry crumbled MS had nothing in place to step in and take up the users. It was easier to get Android and iOS devices to work with Active Directory than a Windows Phone device. Mindboggling.

If they didn't have such an iron grip on the server and infrastructure market and office software they would be in really dire straits.

Decius fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 9, 2017

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

SpookyLizard posted:

gently caress me, I don't want my Axon 7 to break but I kind want it to break.

These numbers are good, but nothing out of the ordinary:

https://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3?idPhone=8630#show

Edit: Or at least not something that should make you wish your phone breaks.

Decius fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

isndl posted:

Any news on upcoming Android phones with Qi charging? Samsung seems to be the only game in town right now, but with the iPhone getting Qi I'm assuming there's going to be a resurgence.

My Moto Maxx is starting to show symptoms after 2.5 years of service so I need to start thinking about its replacement. :smith:

LG V30 is the newest one with it.