Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
I recently switched back to Android and my wallet is happy that neither flagship introduced today interests me in the slightest. Bull is right and to add to his list we also can get hours of juice with a 15 minute charge now.

For me personally, improved camera optics (mirrorless camera tech is already promising) and the next leap in battery technology are what I'm looking forward to. It doesn't take new hardware for cool new software and features to be thought of and developed so I'm not worried about that side of things at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
That Austin kid is so awkward in their collaboration videos, though. Look at the note 4 / 6+ comparison for reference.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Just ordered a Nexus 6. I'm hoping the size won't bother me too much, I've used a 6+ and Note 4 before, but every review makes it seem like it's just *that* much bigger than those two that it can be an issue. I can't wait to try out some pure Lollipop, I haven't been able to play around with it on any other devices yet. The only other thing that bothers me are the inconsistent battery reports - have you guys been able to make it through a full day with no issues? I have no problem plugging in every night, but I see reports from people who are only getting 3 hours of SoT and that is somewhat concerning.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
I found that just leaving my phone in airplane mode has solved any battery or malware issues I've had with my android phones. Nothing comes in or goes out and the battery lasts for days. I still use an antivirus and firewall just in case, though.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Thermopyle posted:

Are we going to be able to get green S6's that work on AT&T at all? I mean, I'm pretty sure AT&T won't be selling it, but will we be able to buy one outright from somewhere?

I can't believe I'm considering a phone with TouchWiz on it.

I don't see why not, many reviewers get their phones early from overseas sources and they work fine on GSM networks here. Just remember the green color is only for the Edge variant. I ended up returning the N6 (big with no special features taking advantage of the extra size, middling battery life and so-so camera) and preordering an Edge instead, I'll post impressions at some point.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Captain Yossarian posted:

International GSM versions rarely if ever work on domestic 4G/LTE GSM networks here in the US. More specifically, they rarely support the LTE bands AT&T and T-Mobile use here. Bigger manufactures like Samsung have TONS of different models supporting a different set of GSM bands per. I've read that the green version is international only so that would definitely NOT work on domestic LTE. Someone in either this thread or the recommend a plan thread shared this web site: http://www.willmyphonework.net/, there are 10-13 different models of S6 and around 10-11 of the Edge so if you buy international, check your coverage first.

Fair enough. I've just seen a lot of reviews of the S5/Note 4 where they get the international Exynos versions before/after release and they just pop in their T-Mobile/ATT SIM cards and they work just fine. Same with that Xiaomi Note and the G3 that was released earlier in Korea than the US. Maybe it is different with the S6/Edge but we will see.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Captain Yossarian posted:

You know what, this is a good point. I have a SNEAKING suspicion that they only test the international phones on 3g or HSPA+ (differs if people call hspa+ 4g or not). Most phones (including international versions) seem to support 3g/4g but rarely LTE in the US due to market segmentation. For example: the Huawei Ascend Mate 2 sold in the US Market supports wildly different LTE bands then the Chinese/SE Asian models. Someone more knowledgeable then I may want to weigh in on it, but I don't recommend buying an international model of ANY phone if LTE in the US is a concern.

Right, I did some research on my own just because I was curious and there seem to be mixed cases depending on the phone. A lot of them do work just fine including LTE but others only on 3G/HSPA. It all comes down to what frequencies they support so like you said in your original post, just verify the phone supports your carrier's bands before purchasing and it should be alright, someone else is bound to try it with the S6/S6 Edge I'm sure.

Also, just got my shipping notification from Verizon for my Edge. Should have it tomorrow, a day earlier than I expected, so that's neat. haha

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Initial impressions of the S6E. This thing is a delight to look at and hold. It really does feel premium, even moreso than my iPhone 6 that I have at work with me. The screen is gorgeous. Going through and changing some settings / disabling things, touches feel more responsive and I haven't hit that millisecond touchwiz lag I'm accustomed to from the S5/Note 4 that shows up here and there. I haven't really installed much stuff yet as I just got the phone, but that's a good start so far. I'm also thankful they have replaced their god awful UI sounds from previous iterations.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

RZA Encryption posted:

I get that most people that buy samsungs don't read message boards about cell phones, but there are people in this very thread that have seen the terrible quality samsung repeatedly delivers and still they recommend them and think "this time will be different."

Repeat samsung owners are the bitcoiners of the cell phone world. Repeatedly kicked in the nuts and asking for more.

Quality-wise, the S6 and S6E are definitely different this time.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

bull3964 posted:

The surprise is that it's drat near impossible to do. Like, against the laws of physics impossible.

I mean, when you can have 10+ hours of screen on time per charge, it's really really hard to imagine any use case that drains it from the beginning to end of work.

Do people really get 10+ (or even 8-10) hours of SoT with the Turbo? I thought the battery was on par with a Note 4 which would usually max out around 6 hours of SoT for me. 10+ seems absurd unless it was just sitting there on a black screen.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

mastershakeman posted:

I'm at 7h46minutes off charge, at 50%, and screen time is 40%. Works out to about 3 hours of the screen being on, so about 6 hours in the day. It's a 3900 vs 3220 battery and a much smaller screen than the note 4, so I'd be shocked if I can't get at least an hour more out of it.

The percentage doesn't work like that, if you tap on "Screen" it will give you the actual amount of time. Anyway, I would figure with a decent usage pattern you could definitely get 6-7 hours SoT but 10+ just seemed like a lot. I'm not saying it can't/doesn't happen, that number just surprised me based off of other workhorses like the Note 4 or Z3C which I've seen get about 7-7:30 hours under good conditions and less intensive processes being used throughout that time.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

mastershakeman posted:

Way worse then. 2h15m screen time at below 50% battery. No gaming besides ten minutes of candy crush, about ten minutes with no signal. Sad that it's only a 2 week old phone with best in class battery and its still not meeting my usage.

You on wifi at work? If you aren't using it for calls/messaging at work I'd turn on Airplane mode while there but then turn on wifi if it's available. If you're anything like me the main distraction caused by my phone at work would be texts so that might not work out for you. Either way, only getting 4.5 hours doesn't seem right for that phone but you might just have the worst possible conditions for it at your job unfortunately.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

bull3964 posted:

From the Engadget review.

It's sort of misleading to quote that as a realistic number for everyday use, though. Nonetheless, I guess you can technically get 10+ out of it in that situation, but the same could then be said for almost any flagship they've reviewed using that method; the iPhone 6 lasted over 10 hours in that same test, and the 6+ lasted 12.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

bull3964 posted:

I didn't though. I said the phone can get 10+ hours of SoT, not that its something you would see under all use cases.

I've personally seen juuuust shy of 10 hours streaming Netflix over WiFi when I was trying to run the battery down when new. So, I could very easily see doing over that with local media without too much effort.

Well you mentioned how it would be very difficult to run it down during a day of work when you can get 10+ hours, so that's what it sounded like. Either way, the guy in question is in bad circumstances for any phone so he's only getting 4.5-5 hours in his case so that sucks.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Best post I've read today

E: It's Tuesday somewhere

V

comper fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 31, 2015

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

FAUXTON posted:

HTC made some legit nice quality devices that were crippled by awful software, but that was then and this is now.

Sense was always my favorite out of the skinned devices. It was always as snappy as stock (M7 and beyond) but they just couldn't put together a full package. The GPE roms for the M7 and M8 made them awesome Nexus-like devices. All they had to do was get the camera right for the M8 but they messed that up, and again with the M9 which was also plagued by 810 throttling and heat issues. Their screens also started to lag behind the competition at that point as well. It's a shame because the devices themselves were great in terms of build quality and the feel in-hand, and the speakers are still the best on the market.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
I just got a new S7 Edge. Does anyone know if there is a way that I can make all 15 of the quick toggles appear in the notification tray at the same time so that I don't have to scroll through them up at the top? Thanks in advance.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Thermopyle posted:

Like, I understand and agree you've got to weigh this against the benefits you get out of an S7 (disclaimer: I'm seriously considering getting an S7), but the mind boggles that this is just something people are like "oh well" about.

You should, I'd like to see your thoughts on it.

Anyone in this thread will be able to disable all of these apps/extra clutter in the notification bar, etc. in a matter of minutes and it's a one-time thing. When we are talking about the general public who have only had Galaxy phones/are switching from an iPhone... I think most of them will be indifferent on the matter, maybe an "oh well" at worst if they even get what's going on. I'm not saying that makes it right, but really, it doesn't affect those who actually care about it/are bothered by it (aside from on a principle level) and obviously it can't affect those who honestly don't care to begin with.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Drythe posted:

My S7 Edge is super nice, I like

It is. Finally a well designed Android phone that can actually last as long as my 6S+, but in an even better form factor. The water resistance is a welcome addition as well, I don't have to worry about my 8 mo old baby ruining it when he drools on it near the earpiece/mics/charging port. And yeah, I'll take the mSD card slot as well, I hoard pictures/videos of said baby and I only had to pay $20 for an extra 64GB of storage for that purpose plus being able to have my whole music library on it is nice too so I don't have to janitor my phone.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Thermopyle posted:

We've got Chromecasts, Google Home, Nexus, Pixel, Chromebooks, the WiFi thingy, blah blah blah. I was thinking a thread for Living The Google Lifestyle that was about all of that poo poo together might make sense.

Maybe subsuming this thread into it? Android devices are pretty much the cornerstone of the whole Google devices ecosystem.

Anyone have any thoughts?

The Google Lifestyle Thread: And you thought The Android Thread was bad...

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

ilkhan posted:

True. We spent a good amount of time laughing at the people who bought it from verizon instead of a GSM version from the play store.

Funny how history repeats itself.

No, back then you couldn't use the play store version on Verizon. Well I guess you technically could but you'd be stuck on 3G. The differentiation of hardware included the CDMA modem that allowed for LTE on Verizon.

E: vvv

Yeah, you're right. Memory served me that this was around the time when they started getting a little less fragmented in that sense but that wasn't until later on.

comper fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 8, 2016

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

ilkhan posted:

I know that. But you could use the play store version on ATT or T-Mo.

The play store 3G, the verizon was first gen LTE. Totally different radios.

I was saying that you couldn't really make fun of people back then for buying it from Verizon instead of the play store like you had originally said as the situations are totally different between then and now.

E: vvv

Okay now you're just shifting this to a whole different thing. Fact is, no one was making fun of someone for buying a Nexus device through Verizon back then instead of the play store because that literally was not an option. So it's not "history repeating itself" in the context of your first post at all, that's all I was ever saying.

comper fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 8, 2016

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Thermopyle posted:

I predict with 70% confidence that Samsung phone sales take a dip for a phone generation or two before going back to their "natural" sales rate.

Consumers in general don't care, have a short memory, and/or figure that the next generation will be fine.

My dad has been a Note user since the Note 2. I've sent him every article posted here to dissuade him from his annual upgrade to the Note 7, including the ones showing that even the replacement "safe" ones are still having the same issue. He just responds with, "Okay I'll just wait until they fix it then". D'oh.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Thermopyle posted:

IIRC, the big thing for me about having an unlocked boot loader got you was being able to use titanium backup. If you decided you needed to back up your phone, you'd have to root, and to root, you have to unlock the bootloader, and when you unlock the bootloader the phone gets wiped. So, the solution was to unlock the boot loader and not root until you needed to do a backup.

Someone else can chime in to how accurate that still is (or was it ever?)

I could be wrong because it's been quite awhile but I think you could still get root with a locked bootloader, however, you couldn't flash any custom ROMs/images without the bootloader being unlocked.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

bull3964 posted:

Whelp, Amex just warned me of a large purchase from Google. People who purchased from Verizon already had their phones ship out, but it looks like the Google Store ones may be close as well.

Fingers crossed that 26th-28th is overly pessimistic.

Did you order the regular or XL? If the former, have you been able to find any information regarding battery life? Most of the reviews I've watched are for the XL. Part of me is really curious about this phone. I like the size of the regular iPhone 7 so I'd get the regular Pixel but I know how long android phones tend to last with less than 3000mAh batteries, but I'm hoping maybe this one has a couple extra tricks up its sleeve.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
The Pixel has really impressed me. The low touch latency is probably the best thing about it that isn't being widely discussed and it rivals my iPhone 7 in terms of perceived responsiveness which in turn makes the phone feel even quicker than it already is. I'm typing this with about 7% battery left with 10 hours unplugged from a full charge and just over 4 hours of SOT. This figure isn't bad and actually better than I was expecting considering it's my first day with the phone getting it set up and settling in, along with the fact that I've been tinkering with it a lot more than I normally will once I get over the new phone period (5" version).

Since the iPhone 4 days I've always wanted a pure Android phone in an iPhone body. This idea has evolved as I've gotten used to the specific strengths that you can expect from different manufacturers and mobile OS platforms. Some Android phones have come close but this is the first android phone that I've used (and I've had a lot) that really combines the speed, responsiveness, battery life, ergonomics, and camera ability that one would expect from an iPhone, but with none of the compromises that you usually have to accept with an android device. Google finally seems to have cared about and figured out some of the intangibles that make using the phone a better experience, above the spec sheets and feature list, and I'm very happy with it thus far.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

bull3964 posted:

Did run across a few setup quirks that Google shouldn't have let slip though that tarnishes an otherwise smooth setup.

I found that I needed to clear storage in the Google app (that got transferred from my old phone) in order for the new Pixel launcher to display the weather data. That's a pretty big screwup that's probably going to have a lot of people asking why their launcher doesn't show the weather instead of just date.

I think it's just a little buggy in general right now, mine would come and go randomly.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

spiky butthole posted:

I thought it was a daily occurance to restart your nougat phone?

my nexus 6 runs all fucky if I don't (i.e. Crashing apps, slow camera etc...). Just give it a reboot.

Also after a major update I tend to do a factory reset so I can get a factory fresh image otherwise you notice a massive drop in performance after a few months.

Funnily enough with Windows 10 I have to reboot my workstation, Laptop and home computer daily. No more 8 week uptimes :(

You shouldn't need to restart your phone every day either.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Thermopyle posted:

well thats cool. I really want to irritate my wife with some GIFs.

Someone quick remind me the ins and outs of flashing factory images or OTA's if thats even possible any more. It's been years since I've messed with that poo poo instead of just waiting for the OTA like a normal non-nerd.

OTA is easier since you don't have to wipe. Just download file, plug device into adb to reboot to recovery then flash the zip file that was downloaded. The step by step instructions are on the OTA page.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Is there really a way to block seeing certain posters?

I can't tell if he's a troll or not since he's an '01.

A) Thinks since he bought a phone brand new that he can sell it as a "new" phone. Total disregard to the fact that either way, he's selling a used phone since the phone is not new in box and he has personally used it for an extended period of time

B) Would have no problem selling a KNOWN defective device as "new" to supposedly up its value, you know, just to really screw over the person buying it

C) But if he sold a perfectly functioning replacement device, all of a sudden his strong moral code would make him just HAVE to disclose that it was a replacement device that came directly from Google and therefore would not make as much money selling a working device and not blindsiding some poor fool like he would in situation B

D) Cannot take responsibility on his own end at all that he waited too long when there was plenty of time during the initial return period to straight up return it to the company and order a brand new one like he wants to now or just get a full refund

E) Cannot be content with the fact that he still has the avenue readily available to get his device replaced by one that looks brand new and functions flawlessly without continuously making GBS threads up this thread

I get it, I'm not helping by again giving him attention, but usually it doesn't go on so long. Maybe if you spent as much time harassing them as you do complaining here, you could get a full refund or a BRAND NEW replacement.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Winkie01 posted:

Just got my S8 I haven't had a new phone in like 4 loving years. Do I still to let the phone die then charge it back to 100%?

no

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
S8 trip report. This year almost every review talks about how TouchWiz / "Samsung experience" has been debloated and toned down to a very bearable level. Every year the design gets better and I hope it's finally on par with Nexus/Pixel/iPhone even if it's just due to raw horsepower on top of SE being toned down.

I know better by now but drat the design of the S8 won me over and it really is a marvel to hold and use, can't wait for future phones to be so much screen and so little bezel. Have had no grip issues or false touches while using the phone naked. The FP sensor really isn't that bad either, my index finger naturally goes to the left side and the iris scanner works well too.

However, I don't know how all these sites and youtubers can honestly keep claiming that the Samsung experience is so toned down or claim the S8 is the best android phone /best phone in general. It's still very much a Samsung device, I still get random lag, especially in chrome. The settings menu is still atrocious. The best part is that after I did the Ota today I keep getting a "Dqa keeps stopping" pop-up and apparently it's a widespread issue. Despite trying all of the temporary fixes it's still happening, so that is fun. Haven't had this many force closes messages since running janky roms on my OG Droid... The phone is only 2 days old. I can overlook the other nitpicks this thread has addressed because quick toggles and all that don't affect my daily use, but I can still understand the criticisms.

So yeah, absolutely love the design, it really looks and feels like the new modern phone but everything else is decidedly samsung to me. Would definitely go Pixel if I were to stick with android but I'm going back to my iPhone 7 for now. Can't wait to see what the pixel 2 brings to the table. Oh yeah, regular S8 and it's getting awesome battery life, so that chipset in a vanilla device should be incredible.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
I've been sick the past 3 days so I've still been messing with the S8 a bit before I return it. After a factory reset got rid of the DQA error, the phone is already stuttering in basic tasks like scrolling home pages or through the app drawer. Same or worse in apps. Restarts, closing all apps, and even setting the resolution down to FHD+ does nothing to help it. Check out MKBHDs blind camera test on YouTube - if you don't pick mostly "Pixel" then get your eyes checked. Battery life has stayed surprisingly very, very good.

Usually I like to look outside the box but I have to agree with the thread on this one and I do not recommend to buy this phone. It's like buying the newest, best looking car with the most powerful engine, best gas mileage, and some new technology but they installed a proprietary, non-removable computer module that makes the state-of-the-art engine stutter while at idle or while driving in city traffic. In return you get a whole mess of features you'll never use or even know are there. Maybe it doesn't stutter sometimes, or you get used to it eventually since it is very mild. But at the same time, if you've ever had something that doesn't do that and works 100% perfectly solely on the stock engine (even an older model), it will always irk you that they couldn't have just left it alone to begin with and at the end of the day you're stuck with a beautiful, very expensive, stuttering super car.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yo I have a galaxy s8+ and am loving the phone itself, but this otterbox defender/alpha glass combo is not inspiring confidence. My first screen protector cracked for no discernable reason and they helpfully sent me a new one at shipping cost, but I'm worried it's just gonna happen again. I work for a cell provider and sell/apply a few screen protectors a day, so I know it wasn't user error. I hate to miss out on my company discount by buying a brand we don't carry, but if anyone can recommend a more reliable (very protective) case solution, I'll absolutely give it a shot.

Why would you buy the prettiest yet most fragile phone on the market if you're just going to slap it in such a bulky case? The way the phone is designed makes it a nightmare for anyone who wants a phone that can take a drop without issues, even in the most protective of cases. It's also a nightmare for anyone who wants to use a screen protector due to the curved edges and the protectors are causing a lot of false touch issues for other S8 users who insist on using one.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

grimcreaper posted:

I have a chromecast and it sucks. Probably user error. Drains my phones battery pretty quick.

Yeah mine too it's because it's using all the phone's hardware itself to power the chromecast with its wifi and 4K is a lot of wifi. You guys who like it must just have good wifi so it doesn't drain as much battery from your phone.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Calaveron posted:

Were you supposed to get an email confirmation from signing up for the essential?

I didn't get anything - it did state they'd just contact us once a phone is available to be ordered but I did think it was odd they didn't send any initial email with confirmation too.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Calaveron posted:

Were you able to pick your state? I did mine over mobile and I managed to input everything but the state dropdown wouldn't work

Yeah, I was able to fill in all of the fields.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Just now received an email confirming my reservation of an Essential phone; I had placed it the day it was first available for reservation.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Willing to trust LG's manufacturing process if this rumor is true regarding one of the new Pixels?

https://9to5google.com/2017/06/12/lg-manufacturing-taimen-pixel-xl/amp/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Pixel =/= Nexus. It doesn't matter who's building it.

I'm well aware of the difference but it's still possibly being manufactured by a company that this thread usually loathes, despite how close of an eye Google has on the process.