Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Stall_19 posted:

It's Mahouka. I haven't watched Cross Ange but from what I've heard of it, for all it's faults, it's doesn't seem boring. Mahouka commits the greatest sin of being absolutely joyless bore. There's a like no energy at all in that anime.

I watched all of Buddy Complex and one episode of Cross Ange and the latter was a hell of a lot more memorable than the former so that is definitely something concrete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

This thread is longer than the best anime thread. Good job.

I guess to be fair the best anime thread is more like a poll than anything else while this one encourages some discussion.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wark Say posted:

I actually got familiar with this dreck thanks to a Japanese fellow who also got me the Gundam Unicorn Novels (I noticed that the OVA's have yet to be included both here and in the Best of thread, and now it's officially complete)

Whoops I completely forgot about that. Probably would have given it an honorable mention in the Best of thread. The wait between episodes was so long that I guess I still can't believe it's over.

It was decent and I'm glad that Sunrise has learned that the OVA format can still work. Might have had it on my top 5 in a weaker year but there were just too many good things this year.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

it is always amazing. secret santa if you are out there, please make a cross stitch of this and mail it to me

I hope your secret santa can fulfill your kokoro wish, friend.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Singing Chav posted:

KLK is both one of the best and one of the worst shows this year, apparently. :psyduck:

Sometimes thing can be pretty divisive yeah.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ernie Muppari posted:

hosed up if true

It's hosed up as hell man, but that's the world we live in and we gotta deal with it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

pentyne posted:

I didn't say characters being lesbians was creepy, the people posting in the thread made it creepy.

I don't watch the show but I saw that tumblr post by the Korra co-creator and he was definitely approaching it from a weird angle.

I mean hell he bragged a lot about being the first to ship two characters together and he basically talked like a person writing fanfiction.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

WickedHate posted:

It is, unironically, one of the best works of fiction in human history, and I'm not exaggerating at all. I can understand finding it unappealing or being repulsed by some elements of it, but shallow dismissal just sucks.

I'm going to be helpful instead of making a joke here, and say that you should start backing all this stuff up with something of substance. You're talking about how people aren't getting the messages or themes but I have no idea what you took away from the show since you're not going into any detail!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

Can we go back to this instead? Now I know you haven't seen Ping Pong, but gently caress it, lets even just say Attack on Titan. I like Attack on Titan. I wouldn't call it "one of the best works of fiction in human history" but I enjoy it plenty enough so lets start there.

What makes Kill la Kill a better work of fiction than Attack on Titan? Like, lets not even get into books or movies or anything, just even within anime. I want to hear what makes Kill la Kill The Best

I, too, would like to hear this argument and it would probably be a better route than the current yes it is/no it isn't conversation about the bad touching.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If I had absolutely no idea about what Kill la Kill entails, the current line of discussion would make me not want to watch it because regardless of the intentions of the fanservice, that's all that's being talked about. Surely the greatest work of fiction would have a little more meat to it then that?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

WickedHate posted:

It makes absolutely incredible use of it's limited budget that practically turns it into an entirely new form of art, it's characters are extremely well written and fun, the jokes are funny, the action is great. It's just really well made on nearly all levels.

While I'm not saying I speak for ninjewtsu I get the impression he'd like to hear something that delves a little deeper than that. Most of those praises are really generic outside of that comment about the animation y'know? (and there have been plenty of shows that go a long way with a limited budget and/or time as well, what sets this apart from those?)

e: to name a few random shows that I could say those exact same lines about; Ping Pong, Eva, etc.

Srice fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 27, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pootybutt posted:

"Dig Deep and Defend Your Love For This Thing We Don't Like WickedHate, Only the Longest Dissertation Will Do"

Or just let him like what he likes, who cares

It's fun to examine why you like a thing, I'm indifferent on KLK itself but I can enjoy hearing someone's thoughts on it. Just wanna hear some non-generic lines on what makes it so great :v:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

WickedHate posted:

I'm bad at expressing ideas. If you interrogated me about my favorite food, I'd say I love it because it tastes great. :shrug: It's action, it's design, it's characters-poo poo, I don't know how to get more in depth then that. It's just awesome. It's an enjoyable roller coaster ride anime. I literally don't know how to go into more detail then pointing at elements that I like and saying they're done well.

But I'm fine with people disagreeing with me about it.

That is fair enough!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Well, poo poo! This thread suddenly got interesting! Now here's a quick question I'm hoping somebody who has worked for Crunchyroll, Hulu or Daisuki might answer: If we can agree that Mahouka was a huge turd, why the gently caress did those gel-haired deep thinkers here at my company's licensing department thought it'd be a good idea that we got it as part of our catalogue on a good chunk of our regions?

A moderate amount of people watched it so I figure that's good enough. Unless you're Discotek and can command evil forces to keep your company in business while licensing the most obscure stuff that everyone else deems unprofitable, it's all about the numbers.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Harettazetta posted:

All these people on the internet are wrong and I must prove them wrong and I am certain they will listen to me

I guess if that is what you boil down any discussion to, then sure.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

From what I watched of Twintails the animation quality was uh, pretty dire to say the least.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Monkey Man posted:

:thejoke:

(I loved it despite its low budget)

I honestly couldn't tell it was a joke because of how the general following the show here had talked about it :v:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

clearly everyone should watch a ping pong anime

Unironically yeah.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

And it's getting a dub, so while the dub will be inferior now no one will have an excuse.

I was incredibly surprised that it did well enough to get a dub while Tatami Galaxy did not, but I sure as hell am not gonna complain about having an easier way to get my pals to watch it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

K. Flaps posted:

Well Tatami Galaxy is way wordier than Ping Pong, so dubbing it is way harder.

While true, it didn't even get a sub-only physical release in the US :(

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

K. Flaps posted:

Are sub-only physical releases really a thing though?

Yeah, a few shows get them and Funimation tried it out with some incest show awhile back? Discotek does a lot of sub-only releases but they're wizards that make money with the weirdest decisions.

The Devil Tesla posted:

I'm pretty sure that it hasn't, and Funimation is doing it anyway. Not questioning it is the right plan.

Yeah that's a good point too.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I have watched a little bit of LOGH and enjoyed it but a show of that length is tough for me to tackle these days, which is why I haven't watched more.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Davincie posted:

im gonna be honest here, i haven't seen 99% of the poo poo any of you are talking about. i am however watching ping pong right now

I'm glad of it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

point of return posted:

This is also true of most space opera though.

A fair amount of 'em can be summed up as "WWII in space" as well.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

why would anyone in the world watch cross ange past the ending of episode 1. except if they wanted to jerk off, i mean

I've only seen episode 1 and it seemed pretty obvious that the racism was meant to be shown as a bad thing right from the start.

The main character is hella racist and then learns that she is part of the very race she hated? Seems like a p basic way for her to learn that maybe people aren't so different and that racism is bad~

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

glomkettle posted:

KNK was quite possibly the most disappointing waste of good animation I've ever seen. Every single character was terrible and the story was a big fat nothing.

Between that and Chuu S2 Kyoani managed to disappoint me pretty hard after their string of good shows (thank goodness Free S2 managed to resume that). Main dude's angst over being invincible and immortal was p annoying and none of the characters managed to break out of their light novel-y as hell archetypes.

At least I'll always remember that the bad guy fired a car-powered laser at the sky to do ~bad things~.

Oh, and the idol episode. That was a funny as hell episode and if every episode was like that then the show would have been perfect. That stuff is a hell of a lot more fun to watch than characters going through generic angst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

wielder posted:

To put things in perspective, Gundam SEED sold about ten times as much as the show in question. Which is why I don't think there's much of a risk that this will set any major new trends for the company, other than for purely throwaway projects. Now something like Love Live, on the other hand...that's another story and I'd be surprised if Sunrise didn't keep following up on it.

Heck, Sunrise has been trying to do the same thing with their original mecha shows for quite awhile and try as they might they just can't recapture SEED or even Geass. They'll keep it up but with a different gimmick next time.

• Locked thread