Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I haven't played this dumb stupid game in over a year, what is the broken FotM bullshit that I should be using to reap pub tears for the, let's face it, one week I play this thing before peacing out again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I think of all the tanks you listed, only the Churchill was in the game when I last played. WELP

Type 59 is still maximum bullshit though, right? How about the French lights?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Are there any goons left on EU? Seems like in the ~5 years since I last played this hell game the pubs have stayed the same and I have no idea what's good anymore so I suck now. Give me back the days when each tier had like 3 good tanks to keep track of and everything else was just generically bad.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
So I've been messing around on my old US server Marder trolling account and token unlocked the Ikv 65, holy poo poo game is good again??

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Because I've played most of the good ones on my main account? Anyway what's not to love about hiding in bushes, oneshotting people then running away giggling

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
So I logged in to collect all of my free poo poo for being an ancient beta player and everything is strange and weird now. I haven't played properly since like, 2015, what should I spend all these festival reward blueprints on at around tier VI to VIII that's fun? Back when I played the only top tier I'd made it to was the IS-7, so pretty much anything outside that line as far as suggestions go. Also the old go-to for pissing about, the Marder, seems to suck now? Same story for the Hetzer and Stug?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Every pub was so bad at tanks 5 years ago but oh my god in the time since they've only gotten worse, it feels like every time I start to lay the foundations of a good game whoops an entire flank collapsed while doing apparently no damage and half a dozen angry assholes come trucking up behind me on full hp :argh:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Remember when the French light line was released and the 13 90 could straight up murder pretty much anything one on one by zooming up behind it and unloading a full clip? Good times, good times.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Bring back tanks where you have free rein to absolutely style on people if you possess a functioning brain, but are free kills in the hands of 95% of the playerbase

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

TracerM17 posted:

It always amazes me when my entire team goes down the opposite flank as I and manages to lose that flank. I think arty scares them, they start huddling behind bushes, then get picked off by tds in the back.

The worst "tactic" I've noticed is to get into peeking battles with one enemy tank vs three or more friendlies where they're getting artilleried to poo poo but never ever EVER think to flank the one thing pinning them in position to get picked off.

In the reverse situation, they will also never react to drawing fire away allowing them to advance, they'll just sit and hide while the 3 tanks all look at me instead and gun me down. No amount of chat spam will wake them up.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
No everyone play on EU instead! The queue times are shorter so you can get mad at your team faster!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Just got my first T9 in 5 years (I did do the the IS-7 line back in the day) and oh god, even though it's the Obj430 I completely suck now

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

BadLlama posted:

oh so you actually have two tier X tanks

I mean allegedly but apparently I've forgotten how to play, and it's not just my team either I'm being entirely ineffective. Had a 0 damage game and everything.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

kemikalkadet posted:

I also seem to have a habit of buying a T10, buying equipment and camo and transferring a crew, then playing 5 games and parking it in the garage forever.

sounds like it's time to get back into clanwars! :unsmigghh:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Crazyeyes24 posted:

We are world of tanks players, the self flagellation is pretty much built in.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Hellsau posted:

the big clans who look at stats are mostly idiots just looking at whatever dumbass numbers make themselves look good

it was fun back in the day beating up on clans with ~high winrate~ with our cobbled together collection of goons with winrates all over the board I have to admit

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
2PAC was on EU and still exists as a holding cell for the half dozen of us left logging in

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
That was the main problem with it as an enduring PvP game: you needed more commitment than old skool WoW even. Like if you didn't have 30+ poopsockers ready to go at the drop of a hat it was impossible to maintain even a toehold on the world map.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It was *horrrrrrrible* at the leadership level. For the 8pm turn, SGLE leadership had to be logged in at ~6:30pm every single night to start arranging chip movements and coordinate with allies for offsets.

Adding to that, SGLE did manual attendance recording so we could minimize the number of people who were trying to just stay logged in to get counted, so that was just ~another thing~ that had to be done nightly. NDP did automatic attendance recording, which meant that there were a lot of people who would just stay logged into comms and got auto-paid.

Yeah. EVE-tier organisational requirements for nowhere near as much reward, and that's saying something. Plus you could lose it all in days and make it literally all for nothing, amazing game design!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I can't remember exactly how it used to work, were turns every day or a few days per week? In hindsight it's no wonder everyone burned out so horribly.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
There are times in your life you're willing to go to great lengths to kick poo poo out of incredibly salty pubs, sadly those are almost always much younger times.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Don't do this to yourself, CW was a horrible slog of tears and suffering, and that was even when playing with goons. I'd rather punch myself repeatedly in the dick than go through all that with pubs.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Crazyeyes24 posted:

We did it bois, we made it to the g4m3r page number. Do we prestige into a new thread now?

yellow tanks all round

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
New player experience with goons is good because you can truck around winning games while they explain all the weird undocumented poo poo that's essential to playing the game effectively.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The whole point of the BM is to hoover up gold from the Christmas box whales, it's absolutely not to give anyone a good deal.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I mean I sit here all smug and all-knowing but I'm also the dickhead that bought 3 Type 59s back in the day, so, nobody is a winner here

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Duzzy Funlop posted:

(To be fair, every minute I spent with European Goonion was a blast :shobon:)

rip Veefleet

and yeah, anything I can do to skip the grind is worth cold hard cash to me these days, sometimes you just want to kick back and Shot Tonks without having to spend time on some miserable grindy aspect of the game

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
they're not 300 dollars good, you could def buy the half dozen useful ones on their own for under half that

e: what the heck, I'm bored, let's do this:

Churchill III
IS-2M
KV-220-2
Panther/M10
SU-122-44
Type 64

Yep, literally half a dozen and you could almost certainly get them for under $100.

Vando fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 16, 2020

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

batteries! posted:

Do the medal requirements just not matter sometimes? I thought you needed at least 1k blocked damage for Steel Wall.

It's total blocked + received for Steel Wall

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Mesadoram posted:

Might actually throw my hat in and try this seasons Frontlines. When does that start up again?

hahaha well,

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Mesadoram posted:

It already did?

sorry I should have posted the info as well, WG are doing the annoying thing where they take something popular and make it so most of the time nobody gets to play it because ????

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Dravs posted:

Yeah, looks like they do it every month now.

It's been every month for a year, but this is the end of that year hence speculation of a reset with a new vehicle maybe

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Also things like any blind shot connecting ever will set them off

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I know you can only do your best and it's hard as hell to truly carry games but my god does it feel like I'm trapped in a random number generator feeding me only the most incompetent pubs as teammates as I lose ten games in a row

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

When the other flank's completely collapsed within a mere three loving minutes it's definitely not your fault.

My teams today seem to have a knack for doing this even with solid numerical/tier superiority, it's almost impressive.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Apparently the removed tanks are going to be available for credits at all tiers now so I wouldn't bother wasting xp on them at this point.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
French lights used to be something like 13 75 at T6, 13 90 at T7 so you'll have been given all the intervening tanks when they got shuffled round at various points

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
There are separate EU and US servers yes, there's not a shitload of goons still playing but there's still a few around on both regions. More on US, but then you're dealing with 200 ping and it's not so bueno.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Oh everyone still plays T8 games, it's just that they all do it in their premium tanks that tech tree things aren't really in a fair fight against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If you grind through an alternate route to the one that ends up being the new line, you'll get the "gap" in the line filled for free I think.