Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Nordick posted:

You know, this grind through the Valentine and Grant would be a lot less painful if 75% of the battles weren't tier 6.

Having unlocked both the Sherman III and the Archer, I'm unsure which grind was more painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If you're using Aslain's pack, try adding the "UP!" noise for when your shell is loaded as a backup measure if the crosshair counter glitches.

I have found that jumping in and out of sniper mode fixes the reload counter as well (with deegies sight at least).

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Rincewinds posted:

Is Type 64 a good /not utterly retarded idea if the stronkholds devolve into tier 6?

The Type 64 is amazing in tier 6 strongholds. Going all-light tanks is pretty drat fun.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

moosecow333 posted:

Now that I've got all the big stuff on my Tiger I, what modules do you guys suggest? Since it's a support/sniper tank, should I do something like, loader, telescope, camoflague?

Camouflage on a heavy is kind of dumb, and the aim time is pretty bad from what I remember (3 second-ish). So just go with rammer, gun laying drive (since it can't get vertical stabiliser) and optics I guess.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

A LefH platoon is a thing of pure balance

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

The British tree really needs a heavy crew trainer premium, so they've given us exactly what we need

:downsgun:

Excelsior :colbert:

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Agreeing with what was said earlier, it really can't carry. And it really sucks to run into someone as you zoom about in reverse, you'll take at least one hit while you rotate. Possibly the most annoying thing though? There's no button to lock your gun while driving, so if you don't want it swinging around retardedly you gotta hold RMB the whole time. Luckily there's a solution to this:
Yea, I've finished the grind with over 700 average damage and 40% win rate. It takes way too much time to set up, it's not even that fast when going backwards and the bloom seems massive. Though the last part may be caused by the fact that you need to swing the whole tank around whenever you find a target.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

How the gently caress do I play the Challenger, because the only thing I figured out so far is that it's a Cromwell disguised as a barn.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Dukket posted:

Quick question

How is "Damage cause with you assistance" calculated? What is included?

If someone does damage to an enemy tank without spotting it himself, all spotters will get this bonus (so if two tanks spot a TOG which gets one shot by arty, both spotters get 700 assist damage, since the TOG has 1400 HP). Similar thing if you manage to track an enemy tank and the pubbies on your team manage to be bothered enough to click at it.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Ok, apparently in order to be successful in the Challenger you need to have absolutely retarded enemies.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Why wouldn't you retrain them? You only drop 10% off your primary skill which is like 40k xp regardless of any skills acquired (assuming you started with 100% primary skill). Most of the skills are useful for all classes, so there's no real need to retrain them either.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Nektu posted:

And here I am, bitching about failplatoons when :stare:

(yes, hes a reroll. I now promise to :worship: you unicums like the baddie I am.)

That's only one tier away from being 'optimal' and a couple of patches ago Luchs saw T8s anyway. It's an amazing T4 scout.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Rothmog posted:

Does the person coming back to play with the invite get the tank for the 1 million xp too?

No, it's a pyramid scheme

EDIT:
Also I think it's 1 million xp combined from all recruits?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

I tried driving artillery 5 times yesterday for the 500 and unspotted mission, and every single time almost my entire team went down one side of the map and an enemy light tank had a free and easy run down the other.

My favourite was El Haluf south spawn, where our T-43 parked in that protected road down to the river mouth lost a sit still and shoot at each other battle with an ELC AMX, before it and 6 other lights and mediums simply drove up the hill and into our base, unimpeded by the JT88 who chose to hide around a corner rather than pin them down.
Just suicide after you do 500 damage! :smithicide: I was trying for this mission on the first day before I realised how many new and exciting ways to be dumb pubbies have found. So I got frustrated after a while and decided to test the mission text, drowned and lo - the mission was a success :downs:
Of course now this info is on For The Record, so expect a lot of spgs doing that!

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

kemikalkadet posted:

Had something similar happen yesterday on Erlenberg assault where we were defending. Almost all of our team just followed the river and sat in the middle of the map for some reason, I was the only one to go to the west flank and two TDs sat in the A0 forest. I have no loving idea how but we still won it, between me whittling down 6-7 tanks to low hp after they took it in turns to peek out at me instead of just rushing me and killing me in a few seconds, they then went out one at a time to get destroyed by the TDs in A0. These missions create the weirdest games.

I think I figured out your problem.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

maev posted:

Will my FV304 be good enough for all the arty missions? Also someone point me to a good light tank, I have literally none after 7k games :<

It might have trouble damaging two tanks at once with one shell. I think a combo of Lefh/FV304 for all of the funky shots + one high tier arty (American probably) for the damage is all you need for all missions.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Tias posted:

This game looks amazing, yet confusing. Should I just jump in, or is the learning curve steep?

To chime in on other advice, once (if) you decide to try to get better than the average pubbie, you may want to download XVM (which among other things shows other players' stats ingame) and once you die, switch camera view to better players and see how they're playing, check good map positions (also check where they're going at the beginning of the map even before you die). Additionally once you do get better, you might find yourself looking at the worst players instead , staring in disbelief.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

cheese posted:

Really wish you could "start" multiple of these personal missions at a time. Trying to capture a base as a LT and when I get a map like Hidden Village, which has a 0% chance in ending in base capture, its frustrating that I can't do anything else.

I actually did my HT base capture mission on Hidden Village. I felt dirty afterwards because I should have gone back to our base to click on more red tanks. :saddowns: I think the capping missions are the most retarded ones though since very rarely doing that is both possible and a good idea.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Magres posted:

Do arty tracers still exist? I've spent like five games trying to get a counter battery shot for this stupid loving SPG mission and have yet to see literally a single tracer, despite generally spending the entire game staring at the usual places pubtillery goes.

They do, they just appear for a really short amount of time. Unless you install a mod.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Magres posted:

https://na.wargaming.net/support/Knowledgebase/Article/View/272/18/policy-on-prohibited-modifications

Yeah tracer mods are explicitly banned. That said, it's basically impossible to get caught :shrug:

Also I think EU Wargaming basically said gently caress it, doesn't have a list of banned mods and instead tells the players to ~Use their conscience~.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Dalael posted:

Let me guess... they have no mechanics in place to be able to find out?

Well if you post a screenshot/gif/video/stream of your modded game on the forums, you might get banned, I guess. Is that a mechanic?

Magres posted:

The only way you can get caught is if WGNA gets ahold of a replay where you're using mods you're not allowed to use
Well the replay doesn't hold data about your mods, so you can just open it in a vanilla game and no one will know any better.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Personally the best thing about the 9.6 mentioned in the video is the ability to recycle those drat Radio Operators into something useful.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

warcrimes posted:

Also, "botes" is loving dumb.

I agree, let's talk about tonks.
Anyone has a problem with their sell screen closing after like 2 seconds? Or all of the Winter Special mode buildings looking already razed?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

maev posted:

can I do all the LT missions in the Luchs. This is my only question
Last mission will be very hard. Spotting 4k damage in a T4 vehicle may take quite some time. It's bad enough to rely on pubbies to shoot when driving higher tiers where there's a lot more damage to be thrown around at higher HP targets.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

maev posted:

sure hope that poo poo comes to EU

We had one a month ago.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

So apparently the Top of the tree specials are back (at least in EU). With the first one being Leopard. The Object 263 is never going to get its special, is it :(

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Prav posted:

Same tracks, but the FCM has a stabler turret. 0,2/0,12. Not a massive difference, but still noticeable.

Where are the bloom/ground resistance files located?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

demonR6 posted:

But the SU-152 is such a horrible, painful grind. It just sucks the will to live from me. I guess playing it in pubs is not helping but even then I can't expect guys I toon with to hang around covering me so I don't get murdered.
Use the 152, shoot gold, blow up pubbies.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Rincewinds posted:

How do you sleep at night?

Well at least it's not an E50 driving with the short 75mm levels of stupid.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Keksen posted:

It can't. I'm guessing he meant the 75mm L/70 which is "short" compared to the L/100. Although I'd love to see an E50 with the stub gun.

Yes, I meant the L70. Realizing that madness took a couple of steps though:
  1. Oh he does ~100 damage, he's shooting HE
  2. No wait, there's not much deviation to the damage and he's actually bouncing some stuff, he must be using the L100
  3. After actually looking at the model, the realization hit me. I was actually quite surprised as well that the E50 can mount a T6 gun. Though I guess it's best used for the duels against the howitzer Pattons.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

Actually the spotting missions are probably easier in lower tier lights, trying to get spotting in a light in matches full of tier 10 mediums is just about a waste of time.

I don't think I'd want to try spotting 4k+ damage in lower tier lights.

Unrelated question, anyone knows what barbie game this sporting young fellow is recommending?

I'd like to give it a go.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

So I was a big dum dum and didn't check it out on the test server - is the new AMX premium as good as previously advertised, or did some nerfs hit it? Seems quite cheap.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

A nerve-wrecking, almost 15 minute game with some retarded bounces from the back of the turret and when at 100 hp. Last 5 minutes spent driving around trying to find the camping Object 263 who at that point was two shottable.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Vengarr posted:

I wish there was a mod that just gave you the equivalent of Sixth Sense on every tank. gently caress playing without it and gently caress training a billion tank commanders :effort:
Apparently Radiomen at 100% training level will have Sixth Sense automatically. Which will actually make them useful as well, rather than being a permanent meatshield.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

drat the Patton is great for carrying

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I'm dreading the LT15 mission for later tanks. What with most maps being made for tanks shooting at each others turrets at 100 meter range forever, no spotting needed. I think there's only around 5 maps where you can regularly do some heavy duty spotting without the enemy team being pants-on-head retarded.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Prok, Firey Salient, Malinovka, Lakeville with good teammates, Swamp if you're east spawn AND your team is good but cowardly AND the enemy is dumb...that's about it. Some maps you can get incidental assist damage from artillery or from particularly cowardly teammates, or by going somewhere useless and hoping both enemies and friendlies also go there, but not enough to get the several thousand required.

Basically platoon with tier 10s and a tier 8 scout, wait for Prok, and party hard.

Yea I was thinking those four and also Steppes, since a lot of times there are dumb pubbies sitting in base which you can spot from the rock in the middle.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Also the mission text is loving awful. "Spot 2 enemy SPGs and assist your allies in destroying them" you can loving kill them yourself, you don't need to assist your allies in doing it. Christ Wargaming.

I have absolutely no idea what that mission requires. I killed one arty by myself, damaged a second one but he ran away to survive the match (without anyone else shooting at it). I got killed and the mission was declared a success. :shepface:

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Rhoomba is still loving amazing

And a slightly more exciting Object 140 game that still had less damage than the Rhoomba,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Hellsau posted:

You lying son of a bitch.

Bonus screenshot of last night's PolarCap harassment.

Did 5500 in a Bat on Himmels, he hid behind me and did 1800. Also TKed our E5 somehow, no loving idea how the gently caress you TK a heavy when you're sniping off the hill.

Someone should tell him his full stop key is malfunctioning.