Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Also apparently WG EU confirms that they won't ban users for using forbidden mods, since there isn't a forbidden mod list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Just in case any of you is wondering what shitlords in E75s are doing in base on Redshire, while your T7 platoon including arty is busy carrying their retarded asses, here's their thought process:

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amYJiqnmXBQ
A Bulldog mastery badge. I actually thought you needed to do more for this.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

YellerBill posted:

Welp. Thanks for the heads-up.

See this for what the mission did to pubbies

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IJFklQvSGo
LTTB is such a nice gofast tank.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

cutie posted:

I haven't been playing Tanks very much since around patch 8.6 or whenever the Japanese line came out. I really liked playing light tanks but back then there was a patch that made guns more accurate and then literally every good map had the old spotting areas nerfed and anything that didn't have thick sloped armour was difficult to play in the new map designs. I read somewhere that guns are less accurate now, TD's have less view range and maybe some other things I've missed. Are light tanks in a good condition right now?

I had unlocked the t71, one of my favourites and the amx1390, which I could never get the hang of.

The new American lights (and LTTB) are pretty drat good. However you can only scout properly on 5 maps or so (with Fiery Salient being an almost carbon copy of Prokhorovka, except on fire), since the rest of them are made for tanks shooting at each other's turrets at 100 meters range, forever.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Rothmog posted:

The RU251 is amazing and I don't care what people say the Awful Panther is good too! There isn't one stinker in the whole line of Luchs--->RU251.

I forgot about the RU. Also I have no idea how T54 light behaves after the last patch. Awful Panther is awful, it's even in the name. :colbert: The rest of the line is cool.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Swamp east spawn

Where is this swamp spotting position?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Uranium 235 posted:

Right now I'm really hating the heavy mission where you have to block 2x your hitpoints in damage and deal 1500 damage (for T28 concept). I can't get pubbies to shoot at me enough when they're bouncing off me, which seems odd. Do tracking shots count toward the damage blocked? It doesn't say that it does, but knowing wargaming, it probably does count.

I don't think it does. As for the tank pick a VK 4502B and drive straight at pubbies, angle in an alley, get 8k bounced damage easily.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

JasH posted:

Beginner here

I am in US Tier 2, just trying out the different types of tanks to see which one I like best but I am not sure what the best way to progress to the next tiers are...

Am I supposed to train each crew to 100% before I go to the next Tier tank and then transfer the crew?
Or do I just go to the next Tier tank as quickly as possible with no regards to crew XP until Tier 10 and then focus on training?

Also additionally to all the info above there's a referral system in place, where both players will get bonus XP when platooning with each other.

It needs to be done with a new account though.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

enkalen posted:

T29 Question: What is the best order to upgrade? I am thinking Tracks, then the 105 gun. Turret and engine would be last. I am planning on keeping the tank, so I was thinking of putting on a rammer, vstab, and coated optics. Is there better equipment to add?

I'd go with gun/turret, turret/gun, engine, tracks. The turret gives you more dpm and view range, so it's a pretty good upgrade. Slap on suspension in the meantime if it actually can't mount everything before getting tracks. Equipment is good.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Steelion posted:

HE is poo poo.

Speaking of, I got to see a WTE100 shooting HE yesterday. Hit an E-50 a couple times for like 100 cumulative damage.

At least he didn't spend 3 reload cycles to kill a half health Obj 268.

Also the RU-251's HE is quite good actually. The pen is pretty good, especially in combination with the reload time, which makes it very useful when shooting pubbies in the butt.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

DonkeyHotay posted:

The challenger is a super-e25 without pref mm. Meaning that at least 2/3 of your matches you are op as poo poo.

It's got less stationary camo than the E25 has on the move (and its on the move camo is still worse than E-25 camo when firing). It can have some good games when ignored, since pubbies are bad at getting shot at, but it's still an enormously frustrating tank to play.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

sc0tty posted:

I have a Grille and it feels boring and poo poo to use. Am I doing arty wrong? Does it get better at higher tiers?

At higher tiers playing arty is much more enjoyable, since if you miss your fully aimed shot you get almost a full minute of stream-watching/Youtube without any interruption.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

WayAbvPar posted:

Client forced an update this morning, and now when I launch it just CTDs before I even get to the login page. I am probably not as upset about this as I would be if I wasn't so sick of the game, but I at least want to get logged in for my free poo poo. Anyone else having trouble?

Deleting my Gnomefather's sound mods fixed the problem for me.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Does it get really good gun depression? If it got like 20 degrees of gun depression it might justify the horrifically ugly turret.

It's pretty good, sitting at 10 degrees. I'd suggest either free xp, or shoot nothing but gold since it's at least somewhat usable then.

Edit: it's basically a stock Chi-ri with better gold ammo and a broken turret.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 1, 2015

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Excitement! Suspense! High speed chase! Horrible shitlords! T95 gameplay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKTrUXoS39o

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Azhais posted:

That Tiger II certainly took his sweet time going around the long way.

What mods are you using there? I think I like literally everything better than the versions I have ><

Here's my config file. I also usually go with Gnomefather's sound mods but they caused the game to crash on startup after the last micropatch.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

This guy must be a trillionaire if he earns 110k a tear.

A tearllionare.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP0cd1Ij-D4
5 kills in 50 seconds, or your money back, guaranteed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k529Hq72ZU
Also the Foch is a pretty good TD I guess??

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

On Fiery Salient/Prokhorovka either active scout in the middle if there are arties, or go passive scout in the west.
On Malinovka, either try spotting from the bushes in roughly the middle of the map (when starting north), or go near the swamp area.
If the enemy team is dumb, you can try spotting from the central rock around 7 line on Steppes (preferably if starting south, though north sometimes works as well).
On Redshire if you start in the north you can go hide in the bushes near a building in the center.
On Lakeville you can try spotting from the middle if you're lucky and if you're extremely lucky, there's a rock on the eastern shore near the middle of the map, from which you can spot a lot of tanks.
On any other map, you're pretty much hosed.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Missing Name posted:

I've got my Awfulpanther, now what do I do?

Kill you are self.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Blindeye posted:

Soviet Heavies it is!

Edit: How much time does it take to go up a few different tech trees?

It takes roughly 1k battles (with premium, so around 1500 without) to research a tier 10 tank. Exact values depend on the line and how good you are - you can lose games all the time, gaining almost nothing, but you'll still get that tier 10 eventually. This is something pubbies will try to prove to you continuously Calculating credit amount is a bit harder. Note that playing other tiers is usually more fun since there isn't such a large concentration of shitlords driving in their latest T10 failing to actually click at red pixels.
I'd suggest downloading a mod pack as well. If you want to improve, watch how better players play to learn (use xvm to identify them, it's usually pretty accurate). Also note that it might take 1000+ games until you start to get it - map positioning takes time to learn.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Aramoro posted:

Having discovered the insane amounts of XP you get for doing team battles I'm almost ready to get a new Tier IX. Which is better between the M46 Patton and the Centurion 7/1 ? I'm feeling it's probably the Centurion 7/1 at this stage.
I enjoyed playing the Patton more. The bad top speed and awful bloom values of the Centurion 7/1 really made me dislike it.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Blindeye posted:

Any fun recommendations for a light tank line to dick around in? I wouldn't mind switching back and forth if I get knocked out of battles on my russian heavy line.

Note that starting at tier 4 most lights will see 1 tier higher than usual. If you're new I'd hold off with light tanks since going that way usually leads to getting blown up way too quickly. Having said that I'd also suggest the Pz IC and maybe the Luchs. Be wary - the former is almost useless against a lot of T5 tanks and the latter sees tier 7 tanks.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Vendictus Prime posted:

so, is this normal? I did a mission last night in a T14 hit a KV-1 6 times and only did 6 damage to him out of all 6 shots. went for the side armor, front lower plate, turret ring and in the side between the tracks.

Don't shoot HE.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Immanentized posted:

Thanks for the answers, I figured I wasn't going to be a free thing.

If you won't be converting that, turn the checkbox for crew training on, extra experience will go towards the crew members then.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Is there any comparsion how the T-34-85/IS-2/Cromwell B fare against their regular versions? Especially with stuff like terrain resistance or bloom. I certainly wouldn't mind having a Cromwell that prints even more credits than usual.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

If only they could be more considerate and move the Victory Day to some other date.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

srb posted:

Your reaction to that shot in the King Tiger was the same as mine.

Edit: 220 AP on the 113, hah.

I think having less pen on a T10 heavy than a Centurion I has is an excellent balance though.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I made a quick guide to playing French SPGs for anyone having problem with them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uonIOqAKPdw

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

HowToSuperPershing.jpg

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Uranium 235 posted:

Speaking of British heavies...

A long time ago I started grinding up the heavy line. I stopped after tier 5, because I heard how bad the Churchill VII is. Well, I had 7+ million credits, several free slots, and there's the heavy tank sale right now, so I finally bought it. It is a lot worse than I imagined.

I looked ahead and nothing about this line looks fun until the tier IX gets the L1A1.

Churchill 7 is one of the few tanks that has a weak spot in the frontal drive wheel, so it can be penned and tracked from the front at the same time.
The Black Prince has a pretty beefy engine so it accelerates and then stays at the top speed constantly.
The T8 has some amazing bloom values going for it and a decent turret.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Shoot the lower plate/shoot the turret with HEAT If they're staring right at you. Don't shoot the spaced side armor of the E100, especially with HEAT.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Not many people can have a 25x higher recent WN8 than their total value, but this sporting young lad is such an amazing person
http://wotlabs.net/eu/player/max0407

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Wait, so do you want to talk about the T34, T-34, T-34-85, T-34-85M, T-34-1, T-34-2, T-34-3, Type T-34 or the Rudy??

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Sometimes a there's a T4 tank in a T8 game driven by a player with less than 500 games played.
Then you find out he still outdamaged half of his team.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

LostCosmonaut posted:

You should try the best tier 8 tank destroyer.

Why does the SU-101 exist when the Obj-416 is better in every way, I'll never know.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Is the upper half of the UFP still penetrable with 200+ pen guns? Or did that get buffed as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Because you'll be using a SU-14-1 without the top gun then? And you use that gun on the next two tiers anyway, where it'll be harder to gring?