Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

rossmum posted:

Also I went to FTR (uuughhh) to check out the IS-5, and hahaha holy poo poo, since Rita is apparently on holiday and FTR's followers can't survive five minutes without creeping on a girl playing WoT, a "Rita-approved" stream was linked.

e: Nice new tonks! Kinda lovely about the ISU-130 being mod-only though.
Did you see the ISU-130 leak a while ago? It was a tank with the stats of a balanced preferential tier 7, but (standard?) tier 8 matchmaking.
And the comments on the ftr article about ~Rita-approved streams~ are amazing :frog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Prav posted:

^^^ my favorite part is the (19:44) clarification. In case 7:44 PM was confusing.

The best part is that he didn't mention the time zone. :v:

Also the T32 gun isn't even the worst tier 8 gun, and the T32 is an absurdly good chassis.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Snakes in a can posted:

Read 'em and weep.

http://wotlabs.net/sea/player/xDeathLordx

Ross you were spot on about the vk 30.02D, with goldspam the tank is fantastic. It's a t7 tank that i actually enjoy playing.
There is no way someone actually enjoys playing the Maus that much.

Also get a T20, it is the Most Fun Tank.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Uh, that's not going to succeed. The reason good players hate pubbie scum is because pubbies do not want to improve. Seriously, just go into a Stronghold battle and explain to them why their strategy failed. Be courteous and polite. The pubbies will just call you f-words and n-words and refuse to accept your help.

Sure, be polite to UGKB or -FU- or VILIN and the other scrub clans that actually try to improve, but you won't get very far. There are far too many FURREs and ARMEDs and nationalist clans who strongly resist advice to make a dent in the playerbase.

If you do it right being polite makes pubbies a lot angrier than insulting them does. It's a win-win.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

FTR posted some guy's arty guide(s) recently, maybe check that? No idea how useful it is, didn't read it.

If ftr ever posts a useful arty guide the rapture will come before anyone gets to read it.
Valle is not being facetious, his post is the only good advice for artillery

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

rossmum posted:

If I was to pick a T10 TD to pubstomp with it would be the 263 or 268 [...] a better version of the same concept exists (the T30).
:what:
If you're going to complain about the E3 being less effective at tier than the T30, the 268 is an awful counterexample. It is the poster child for being worse than the tier 9.

NTRabbit posted:

Well that's totally absurd, what if it's either shoot HEAT at the side of an IS-3/7 or lose your artillery to it and potentially the game? That's ok, I'm holding my shot waiting for a better opportunity.
So move and get a better shot, or lose your irrelevant artillery and win anyway (I spent my last ~500 games soloing and team killing artillery at the maximum possible rate, and my win rate was unaffected) or aim correctly and damage the IS-3/7 through the tracks?

How do you manage to be wrong about so many unrelated things, NTRabbit?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

mmkay posted:

It might have trouble damaging two tanks at once with one shell. I think a combo of Lefh/FV304 for all of the funky shots + one high tier arty (American probably) for the damage is all you need for all missions.

You could probably accomplish that with an FV304 by sync queuing on NA West.

edit: holy poo poo :wtf: is this boats alpha survey :magical:

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 19, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Strobe posted:

There's not anything bad.

No seriously even the tier 1 ships are loving blasts to play in higher tier games. There are no objectively bad ships.

There are some ships that might count as "bad". One of the tier 2 cruisers has very few advantages over the other, and one or two ships are arguably downgrades from the lower tier. There are no bad tech tree lines though.

Expect about half the population to be in battleships and carriers, probably more battleships than carriers.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

I don't know what's more fun in botes. Watching pubbies run aground or torpedoing enemy ships.

Torpedoing grounded enemy ships

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Addendum: The range of the US 6/7/8 DDs torpedoes is really awful. Plan and play accordingly. It's rough.

On the 6 at least, you can stick with the 14km torpedoes from the tier 5. I don't think the upgrade adds enough damage/speed to be worth the range loss.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Playing low tier destroyers with game experience feels unfair. I got 4500 base experience in the Tachibana, by sinking every ship on the enemy team

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Pookum posted:

How well does boats run? I get decent FPS in tanks on laptop but I think all that water might kill the frames for me.
It runs better than tanks did, on my 4 year old laptop with integrated graphics.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

You will not win a dogfight against superior planes unless it's Ranger vs. Lexington. Leaderoforcs clowned 3 Langleys with two fighter squadrons from the Independence.
If you bait some pub into engaging your fighters above a friendly cruiser you can often get around this.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

xthetenth posted:

Out of the weekends until the next signup batch or closed beta proper starting.

And hopefully they undo the DMCA stupids soon so I can link decent and good players showing what skill looks like rather than Jingles going "oh look at me fighting a battleship while forgetting abilities and firing suboptimal ammo isn't that fantastic?" (I'm glad he's having fun but its nothing like tedster dropping citadel hits into destroyers and taking off battleships' faces or even ichase being competent in a carrier).

Jingles fired his guns when they reloaded which puts him in probably the 95th percentile of players during beta weekend.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Magni posted:

Just wondering, but is botes going to allow people to name their ships? This is important.
No ship names so far.
Allegedly it'll let you name them, but you'll be limited to the historical ship names from that class. I don't know how that'll work out with the paper designs.

As long as you get all the historical names I guess that's okay. Flying French flags on your German destroyers (coming before British ships :wtf:) and South American flags on US ships is the next best thing to HMS What Are The Civilian Applications?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
:frogsiren:Boats official forum posting:frogsiren:

quote:

I always despises people for hating anime without truly experiencing it...which contains a good portion of todays youth.

quote:

most animes hold far more value than the sludge on regular television

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
If nothing else, the "get cancer and die" is worth a forum ban if you report it and say that you've lost multiple friends and family to cancer.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
There's better on the boats forum but I don't want to look for it.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I hope Wargaming doesn't listen to the game design advice from their boats alpha testers. They have multiple very active forum posters who are desperate to make boats not fun. :iiam:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

rockopete posted:

What about the massive accuracy, bloom, and travel time nerf? I can't remember the exact patch but I want to say 0.8.0 or late 0.7.x? It's a valid view to hold that arty was and is broken, but it has definitely changed a good deal since being the absolute game-breaking terror it used to be.
That mostly just made it more random. For almost a year after the patch nobody played artillery and the game was much better, but around when waffentragers were added pubbies got back into it. At least when I last played, it was more common to see three artillery a side than none.

demonR6 posted:

Hey now I have three rather large monitors and no anime hanging everywhere. I do however have a 55 gallon aquarium in my office, but that does not lump me in with Higgle.. he's another of my 'not favorites' along with biogrip and Barnacle Bill.
It makes it hard to have favorite testers when their idea of a fun game is:

Destroyers are literally arty
Destroyers are completely useless outside corner cases in tournaments
All US ships are much worse than their Japanese counterparts
Carriers are useless
Cruisers are irrelevant since their guns can only damage useless ships
Every match takes 45 minutes of which half is spent driving around with no enemies spotted
Battleships are the One True Class and battleship players are Nietzschean supermen
Also use animes instead of ships :nyoron:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Have you ever wondered what boats forum posters think about women females?

quote:

Do you think me a feminist? Lol. Have I given off that vibe, Red?
Context: forum poster is accused of being a feminist for suggesting that a boat movie might include a sailor's worried mother at home

In the same thread, they praise a Japanese film about the Yamato that includes women.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Atal Vataman posted:

also, make a thread for ships already. dont blame the loving nda or whatever either, because youve already been discussing ships for pages and pages in this thread without caring about it

What about the ships forum?

I know it's nothing that unusual but :lol:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Would Wargaming notice if someone hypothetically abused their forums' reputation system via a script and multiple accounts :negative:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Has something changed significantly since I left, or were there really so few participants that someone was stuck picking DICE?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

quote:

Due to the fact my launcher has not requested me to accept eucla regulations once, I can only assume that it was forced upon me with no chance to proof read them, therefore violating federal policy. I was recently banned for someone else ramming me repeatedly till they died on my team. This is not the first time this has happened. All people who feel like chat mods have started to become air heads who abuse their ban power please let me know. This abuse of power and prosecution on accounts since a personal account and therefore prosecuting the person behind that account without judge and jury is a violation of civil liberties and freedoms. Hiring mods with anger issues and an inability to help people with a question and banning them for doing so is also a violation of policy. I will be suing for lost time and hours if this is not fixed within the allotted 24 hours under legal restrictions. I INVITE ALL OF THOSE WHO HAVEBEEN ABUSED BY THE FAULTY AUTOMATED SYSTEM AND BY OVER ZEALOUS MODS TO JOIN THE FIGHT FOR CIVIL LIBERTIES AS WELL AS FREEDOMS COVERED BY OUR CONSTITUTION WHICH ARE BEING INFRINGED UPON.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
The bigger gun can exploit your gun depression better. Its camo is dog poo poo so you're less likely to die if you nudge your gun over a ridge, fire and back off.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

rossmum posted:

I think the last time around (I didn't play for the weekend) they were exactly the same.

Matchmaking is the same in theory, but it kind of shits itself with the low population (like making 1v1 games). The only difference re. gameplay is that alpha has the two premium ships.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

GiantHurtBall posted:

sorry man, you're an rear end in a top hat or just look like one
(22:08:09) silly bean
(22:08:16) speaks in terms
(22:08:23) clown poo poo
(22:08:26) to get for loving rear end

I want to call a pubbie clown poo poo but I don't want to reinstall tanks just for that :smith:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

maev posted:

gently caress these light tank missions. I've got a FV 304, is it worth going further up the tree with british arty?

No
You are at one of the two worthwhile and currently available pub match artillery, and you already unlocked the other in researching the FV304.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Cardiac posted:

My weekend in tanks:
Stock Chi-Ri. Look who got 1 shot in while platooned with a 50% player and then got killed by a 44% E-25.
Also, for the Chi-Ri, I guess the upgrade path is engine, tracks and then turret + autoloader, since the turret weighs a lot more?

The stock Chi-Ri is not remarkably bad, and with upgraded engine/tracks and stock turret it isn't slow. I think I did that order and waited to upgrade the turret until I had the autoloader.
disclaimer: I thought the Chi-Ri was fun and if crews hadn't been an issue I'd have kept it and the Chi-To. :japan:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

xthetenth posted:

drat. Click three times.

Playing the ELC was pretty funny because bad games in it still gave 2500+ wn8.

Win rate is a lot noisier than other stats. Win rate for a few games means nothing whatsoever where average experience or damage might be relevant. You have to play like 500 games to be confident your win rate is within 1-2%.
That said I don't know why anyone uses stats for anything beyond "does this player know you can win the game?"

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Nordick posted:

So uh, the strongholds artillery strike thing seems to be quite something

:staredog:
No delay between firing and hitting? :wtf: Wargaming

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Quit tanks for good today, haven't played in a long time but feels good to finally be done with this poo poo game.
:hf:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I'd reinstall if I could play an AMX 30 with only the autocannon, at tier 3.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Agrajag posted:

Did they really kill botes with arty carriers?

Based on my experience with the latest patch, if they ruin boats it'll be by making GBS threads on everything that's not a battleship.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

BadLlama posted:

The T20 is better than average I would say. It is quite nimble and has great speed tied to a gun with pretty high alpha for a medium and great depression. Really it was one of the few tier 7's that was quite pleasing to drive.

The T20 is really good. It's not as strong at top tier as a Comet but otherwise it's more than competitive with any non T29 tier 7 tank. It can carry tier 9 games on a fairly regular basis.
I think most players must have immediately abandoned the T20 when they unlocked the Pershing, and forgotten about it. The Pershing is strong but the T20 is significantly stronger at its tier. :911:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Atomizer posted:

Except the T-54 has HEAT, not APCR. :eng101: The Type 59 has APCR! ;)

That's useful but the 13 90 isn't a T-54 :eng101:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
It's not like "math and statistics" say players don't get worse on the weekend. I would guess that poop sockers tend to be above average.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Desuwa posted:

Actually I'd forgotten to mention the Chi-Ri earlier. It's wonky and impotent in t9 matches but it can stomp all over t7 matches. Gun depression is so critical it can make up for a lot of deficiencies in other areas and the gun handling is quite good. 390 burst damage is nothing to sneeze at either. It's another one that's really hard for new players to adjust to, and it doesn't have the same potential as the Comet/T-34-1, but it's not garbage.

:hf:
I really liked the Chi-Ri when I still played. It gets disproportionately bad stats because it dies quickly in tier 9, but it really stomps tier 7 games, and it can put out a lot of damage at high tiers if you get a good position. And stomping tier 7s in a Chi-Ri is really fun, much more so than most of the usual pubbie stomp suspects.
There's just nothing else that's anything like a Chi-Ri.

Also the T25/2 is amazing.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Not with waffles they don't.

They still do.
HE is worthwhile in most waffle shooting because, even if it has a slightly higher chance to do insignificant damage, the increased damage on the 99% of shots that penetrate more than makes up for it.

Most HE zero damage hits on waffles are hits that would've been zero damage with AP too. The game registers a hit when you shoot the muzzle brake.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
SU-85 doesn't have insane camo, it has the same camo to two significant figures as every non toaster tier 5 TD (AT 2 and M10 aren't TDs). It also has 350 view range with binoculars active. 350 view range is really bad. You cannot play vision games with view range that caps out with active binoculars at the same as a medium tank with no equipment.
"Don't spot your own targets" isn't a good excuse, if you'll be sitting that far away you might as well play a toaster with a better gun.

It's ok to like or do well in bad tanks.

edit: that said, if wargaming ever nerfed the T67 it's closer; when I last played the SU-85 was a full tier worse than the T67, and probably worse than the SU-85B even without considering matchmaking.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Apr 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

subhelios posted:

Proof positive that the better you are at tanks (and the worse, it's basically a Bell curve) the more terrible of a human being you are. Coinflippers are paragons of humanity.

I am pretty sure he's not a furry :ssh: