Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

rockopete posted:

Also don't worry if your reload timer sometimes stops working--well, do worry, but all crosshair mods seem to be having issues with this.

If you're using Aslain's pack, try adding the "UP!" noise for when your shell is loaded as a backup measure if the crosshair counter glitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Burt posted:

Grosstractor and T-34-85M. Yes or no?

T-34-85M, yes. Gross, no.

Even then, the -34-85M is kind of a 'hard mode' tank, as it doesn't do you any favors.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

Any good write ups to convince me not to buy the premiums?

Is the panther 88 just a bad panther 2?

I honestly wouldn't recommend buying it. Full price for a T8 premium without preferential MM...no thanks. If you need a German medium crew trainer, buy a T-25 or spring for a Warcrime while they're on sale. Sure, the T-25 sees T7s like a normal T5, but it's more easily handled than seeing T9s and 10s, kind of like playing a T-34 with the 76mm.

I also kind of have to agree with ~he who must not be named~ that the Panther 88 seems kind of like a 'trap tank' since only the supertesters got to try it out before it was put in the shop, and those who didn't get the 907 (or just Wehraboos with a fetish for being penetrated by large Slavic, French, and American loads) might be tempted to buy 'the new premium' just to feel special, without doing their homework first.

4775g for both the Warcrime and T-25, but honestly 750g for just the T-25 is the better deal, since you *really* have to pack a ton of gold in the Warcrime to be viable against other T7s and 8s. Don't even bother asking about the PzIV Schmallturm. =/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 25, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

KurdtLives posted:

Been playing since March, just occurred to look for thread here. Got the heads up on the E25 leaving the shop and bought one, thanks goons.

What tank is a Warcrime?

The PzV M10. It's a Panther that's been altered cosmetically to loosely resemble an M10 tank destroyer. The Nazis did it during the Ardennes Offensive because Hitler thought it'd be effective to run a bunch of working Panthers (an oxymoron if I've ever heard one) around behind enemy lines to stir ~confusion~ amongst the Allies by staging harassment attacks when they would've been more effective just serving normal duty on the front. That's against the ~rules of war~ that no one ever follows (since they all think they're going to win), hence why it's called a Warcrime Panther.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

This is pretty much all you need to see to know the Double Hitler Panther isn't worth it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEUK4gbJaUI

"This is such a great tank it's got the HP of a heavy and it's pretty fast and blah blah hurrity blah here's a bunch of images of it killing things in rehearsed 1v1s but never being shot at itself *three minutes in* this tank doesn't have preferential matchmaking but HEY that's okay, just shoot tracks, give your crew TD-helping camo-heavy skills, and carry 15 APCR rounds or something gently caress you give us money."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 25, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The Churchill GC also will make you a priority target as it's one of the rarest tanks in the game, and pretty much EVERY pubbie needs it for Master Tanker and the UK kills medal.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hellsau posted:

I think the Valentine and the M3 Lees would make for pretty good tier 3s. I think the FV183 and 113 are some of the best tier nine tanks available. I don't get why everyone complains about the Lowe - sure its slow but that gun at tier 7 is killer.

I think you meant to say E-25. The Lowe's a non-pref-MM T8 that most often sees 8-10.

Pubbies (Wehraboos especially) have been yelling for a T7 pref-MM Tiger-based premium for years.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 25, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

primelaw posted:

So I love making poor decisions and actually sorta wanna grind out those missions for the WZ-111. Any of you terrible poopsockers have one yet?

It's a 112 without a fuel tank located front and center, with a nastier IS-3-like pike up front, shooting a lovely D-25T variant that has HEAT instead of APCR. It also moves more like a medium than a heavy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Since everyone seemed to like that free day of premium code...

...if you can bring yourselves to download and log into the WoWP client, you get a free day of premium for doing that, too.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I didn't say you had to PLAY it. You evidently get the free day just for logging in.

http://worldofwarplanes.com/news/game-events/happy-holidays-2014/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

DoubleWelp posted:

Telescope or laying drive on the E-25?

You should never be staying still long enough for the telescope to kick in, and the gun already has a 1.5s aim time.

Rammer, Vents, Optics.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Computer viking posted:

I guess I should save up and buy the fv4202 and/or fv215b just in case they do something interesting for the owners.

The last notification on how the 'switch' was going to work was that it was going to be mission-based rather than "oh, you have a British T10, here have a premium." That being said, I can't see them taking *away* a T10 if you already own one, you might just get the tanks switched, and not get the premium if you don't do the mission for it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

Touch your toes and think warm thoughts until you get the 76mm

And whatever the gently caress you do, don't be tempted to load up the 6pdr and buy a ton of APCR, unless you're sitting on tens of millions in silver.

Also, the most hosed up thing about the Panther a la Double Hitler is if they nerfed the 88mm to a 7.5rpm stock firing rate they could easily give it preferential MM, and it'd probably be worth every doubloon.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Dec 30, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Phanatic posted:

What the hell gives? Haven't played for maybe a year, figure I'll update and start up again, and the launcher keeps trying to update and failing. Gives me an error message that "the data obtained from the update service is incorrect," and tells me to "see log file" for details. Only thing in the log file that looks like an error is "http request failed. what: http request error, msg: Inner libCurl error(7): "Couldn't connect to server". But it's been connecting, it's been downloading patch data, even, before it fails out with that error message.

Ideas?

Uninstall the client completely and then download an updated executable.

It's not like any of your old mods are going to work, and you should be downloading an all-inclusive modpack anyway.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Again, all the Double Hitler Panther needs is an RoF nerf to 7.5 stock and it'd be fine as a pref-MM T8, and worth every penny, too. The FCM50t should fire its gun more quickly because it's armored with tin foil and the size of three semi trucks lined side by side.

Also, the 88mm isn't very viable at T9+ because of shell normalization. That's certainly what fucks over the 88/L100 on the E-50. All the stats in the world can't help your APCR shell if it's trying to burrow its way through an angled 100mm+ angled plate, simply because 'unangled plate thickness > shell width' gives you a debuffing roll even before the game decides whether or not you get to do damage.

If they were going to put out a damned normal T8 MM tank they should have gone with a suitably debuffed premium E-50 with good terrain passage values to make up for the anemic engine they'd have to give it.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 31, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

JCFalkenberg posted:

poo poo, this is a thing? How exactly does it work?

http://wotguru.com/general-world-of-tanks-guides/world-tanks-game-mechanics/how-armor-works/

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration_%28WoT%29#Shell_Normalization (this link explains the concept of 'overmatching' as well)

I wouldn't suggest trying too hard to commit this stuff to memory - it doesn't really help all that much when you're just shooting at tanks.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 31, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Wargaming is proud to announce Operation Buy Stuff for our Wives:

http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/31/gift-cards-for-gold/

Heh. Cracker Barrel.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Is this peak Wehraboo?

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/411495-price-reduction-panther-mit-88cm-l71/page__st__40__pid__8349431#entry8349431

http://worldoftanks.com/community/accounts/1002169846-jontheblack/

Most played tanks: Type 59, T14, and of course, the Double Hitler.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 31, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The Southern Dandy posted:

As a frequent traveler about the South, and a Williams-Sonoma and J Crew shopper, those thing are pretty silly.

$50 worth of chicken and dumplings or 7500g? Chicken and dumplings every time. Side it up with collards and mac and cheese!

The best part? You have to enter in the gift card's complete information so they can 'check the value' themselves and *then* give you a gold quote. But they adamantly state that "your gift card won't be used" or debited...they just need to check. Whereas pretty much every gift-card-buying website on the internet will just give you a quote when you give them a value.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"You've won a prize in our holiday forum competition!"

Surely they wouldn't send a notice like that out if I'd just won the daily participation gold! :v:

:toot:

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/411521-planes-tanks-and-sleighs-winners/

Someone on page three already checked the WN8 of all the Type 59 winners. Only two have four-digits, and one has a *76*.

This guy: http://www.noobmeter.com/player/na/Frost8797/1004794680/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 1, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

To say nothing of the fact that the -122-54 is a 'rare' tank, so you'll be hunted by the other team mercilessly - especially by the arty.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm just going to grind out the Soviet and US tokens and spend :10bux: x 4 to just get the WZ-111. That'd make it $50 (since I bought the Japan token last month/year) for quite possibly the best T8 premium in the game tied with the Type 59.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 1, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The Southern Dandy posted:

Did you miss out on the Type 59?

Never bought one. Never really saw the reason. vOv

I figure having a WZ-111 and FCM50t will pretty much 'cover me' for profitable T8 prefs.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

Huh? When the the 111 go from "Eh, it's a 112 that doesn't burn so much" to "quite possibly the best T8 premium in the game"?

I should've quantified that statement with a 'currently available,' even though the availability comes with a caveat.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

That's how all Russians sound in real life.

He said "in a can," not "in a bottle." :v:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ugh. Perma-x2 until Thursday so long as you inflict damage once. Win or lose.

Coming soon, drive your tank 100 meters and rotate your turret 10 degrees in any direction, get x3 Crew XP! Keep lowerin' that bar!

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 6, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I think I'm going to have to knuckle under and get the Obj 140 and E5 grind done before Thursday. I free-xp'ed the M103's upgraded engine, and thanks to having 416 HEAT rounds for the mid-tier 120mm, I'm going to skip the upgraded turret and M68 and bee-line it for the E5. The minor upgrades the M68 seemingly offers for the xp spent are minimized slightly by the fact that I'll be carrying 12-15 HEAT rounds per game.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

Ahaha, wow. So on the RU server Winter mode came with "hidden missions" (because the problem with missions is that you can see what you need to do ingame and work towards it, right?). Long story short they were totally hosed up and players have been earning hundreds of thousands of XP, 3-4k per game with games lasting ~ 5 mins and a crew XP multiplier on top. Don't worry though, these terrible bugs will be fixed before it goes live on the EU or NA servers.

I don't believe for a second that this - to some degree - wasn't intended.

Sure, the multi-skill crews are a bit of a boon to players that would otherwise cause them to have to play much longer for the same effect, *but* if the crews were in anything other than T10s, they'll have to be retrained, and no one would ever dare credit-train a 3+ skill crew for a new tank. Also, if you accrue hundreds of thousands or millions in convertible xp, you still need gold to make it useful.

So, unintentional...or incentive to make tight-assed Russkies dig into their wallets?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Okay, so I'm going to go out on a killing spree and blame WoT for it.

Seriously, gently caress every single oval office playing right now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Last night: 87.5% solopub win rate

Today thus far? 31.2.

Plenty of kills, plenty of damage, but gently caress. EVERY. SINGLE. oval office. PUBBIE.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

apseudonym posted:

So much XP to get the gun on it :smith:

Well, prioritize the D-10T2S, because the 140 is a better T-62A. Even though clans want more than one T10, the way the T-62A is spoken about now is "seriously...no one else has a 140 that's not locked...okay, I *guess* you can bring your -62A..."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So, if you're insane enough to be tanking right now (getting in a few before getting ready for work), they've got the x3 crew xp bonus running concurrently with the x2 combat xp bonus. Probably until server restart.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Captain Blaargh posted:

"Gotta spend all these welfare checks on something."

No no no no no.

"Gotta spend all these extra-special welfare checks us black people get now that Obama's the president. Don't tell anybody."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Have you seen the way the "Siema PL" people play? They are all so bad i'm surprised they can even work a computer never mind learn a 2nd language

"Polska jest stos śmieci dla Moskali na mocz na."

Rough translation: "Poland is a pile of trash for Muscovites to urinate on." If you want to just say "Russians" instead of Muscovites, that's "Rosjan," and "civilized Europeans" evidently makes the translation longer and slightly different:

"Polska jest kupa śmieci w cywilizowanych Europejczyków do oddawania moczu na."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 11, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Zettace posted:

KV-220 are fun to fight against because a lot of their drivers are surprised when you start penning every shot because you shoot the turret instead of the hull.

Even then, you're having to shoot for a rather thin margin of weak spot. Fighting T14s is fun because while they have to really try to get that 75mm shell into your turret, you can just poo poo 76mm rounds (even HE, if you could ever justify carrying any) into their MG port all day long.

KcDohl posted:

Relative tier matters. If the BC was just loving with 9s and the E4 hit/spotted 10s it's totally possible.

Yeah, I was finally able to finagle a ~mastery~ of the T54E1 because I had a Stalingrad game with T10 artillery. Whenever I fought on Battle Tiers 9 and 10 I'd always just get first class no matter how well I did.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Atomizer posted:

Yes, it's good despite the gun. I mix it into platoons with different tanks, generally ones with decent pen, e.g. Church 3 or even SU-85B.

You don't want to platoon a -220 with an SU-85B, it invalidates the fixed MM. Nevermind, read it wrong and forgot the -85B is T4 and will only see up to a max of T6 like a fixed T5.

Also, for some reason I've a feeling that the WZ-111 will be the last call for a 'new' fixed MM tank. The M56 Scorpion is getting de-tiered to T7 and keeping the 90mm. I think that's what they're going to do from now on - subtract a tier from a tank that might otherwise get fixed MM, and ensure it at least has a *chance* against the maximum tier it'll face, which at T7 would be T9, and the 90mm M3 it'll get has 243mm gold pen and 160mm with AP.

I also wonder what would happen if they decided to re-release the Type 59...only with a 'variant' name (Type 59D, for instance, with non-functional but decorative reactive armor) that didn't get fixed MM, just to troll everyone.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 12, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Atomizer posted:

Wait, I knew they were de-tiering the Scorpion, but where did you hear that they're also taking away that original gun? The last thing I read, from everyone's favorite idiot, suggested that it was keeping the gun: http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/12/21/straight-outta-supertest-m56-scorpion-to-tier-7/

I didn't say they were taking away the original gun - the point I was making is that I think in lieu of making more 'fixed MM' tanks, that they'll try their best to just 'de-tier' premium tanks so they'll have a friendlier natural MM spread.

Also, I don't think the T-54 Proto is going to be a "Russian Type 59." From what I've heard from supertester leaks, expect something closer to a "Russian Super Pershing."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I've found that calling a sub-50%er something is easy. It's when you call the 49-51%ers 'coinflippers' that you start to get some fireworks, because they're just on the *cusp* of being able to call themselves above average.

"At least I'm not a coinflipper who counts on others to win for him" works rather well. Just stick with 'coinflipper' throughout - no need to get fancy.

(apologies in advance to any dirty, worthless coinflippers in here :v: )

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 13, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MoraleHazard posted:

Thanks for the advice on getting gud.

What's wrong with the T110E4?

It was too good when it was first introduced, got nerfed, and now it's got too many weaknesses given the ever-growing power creep, whereas the E3 is an accomplished alley-blocker that a lot of people still don't know how to deal with.

When it was first introduced, SGLE made it a priority for people to get, which is why a fair number of goons in this thread are able to speak with some authority on why it's not very good right now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Refried Noodle posted:

The E4 seems nice and I want one. I've seen Sirfoch (streamer) play it like a squishy heavy with a ridiculous gun and it works like a charm. I have no idea about CW-usefulness though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvvwij7H8jU

Its squishy-ness is a liability in CW - it used to be able to stand on its own in its heyday, but nowadays you generally have to have something support it, which locks up tanks you need to, you know, actually be able to flex and fight. If you want to bring a squishy heavy to CW, you just bring a 50B now - those can reposition incredibly well, which is a tradeoff for it being armored with aluminum foil.

Even so, you're not going to hear 'oh hey can someone bring an E3 on this really wide open map' all that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The gun is fine, and it's perfectly viable in pubs, as is pretty much anything that can poo poo out a reasonably-accurate large-caliber wad of 'gently caress you.'

I've just never seen anyone clamor to bring it (or have it brought) into a platoon or T10 company/stronghold.