Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Donation Update: DONATE ONLINE or mail checks to

quote:

Wilson Children’s Fund
c/o Forum Credit Union
PO Box 50738
Indianapolis, IN 46250-0738

There's also #BadAssWilson merch at the IndyCar store with the proceeds going to the Wilson Children's Fund.

Window Decal - $5
Adult T-Shirt - $25
Kids T-Shirt - $25

Welcome to the Verizon IndyCar Series 2015 season, now in its 1st year of legitimacy!

:siren: Fantasy IndyCar is now a thing :siren:

Go here to register then go here and enter the code LLJK to join our league.

Our league name is Formula Juan and Derps

Schedule

IRC
#ics on irc.synirc.net

Aero Kits
:frogsiren: ACTUALLY HAPPENING THIS YEAR! :frogsiren:

The Road to Indy
IndyCar features the Mazda Road to Indy ladder system, which provides a defined path for up-and-coming open-wheel racers to reach the top. Several IndyCar teams run teams in the lower series as well. Many of these series race on the same weekend as IndyCar as support races.

- IndyCar Minor Leagues, many of the current IndyCar drivers are Indy Lights graduates. Brand new Dallara IL-15 Chassis this year!

- Star Chassis, Mazda Renesis rotary engine, 6speed clutchless paddleshifting just like the big boys

- Bottom rung of the ladder, usually first step after pro-karting. Van Diemen Elan Chassis, Mazda MZR 4Cylinder

USAC Silver Crown / Midgets - While not officially part of the Road to Indy Ladder, many current and former open wheel drivers got their start in sprint cars. One even got to kill someone on-track during a sprint race, cool huh?

The All American Soap Box Derby - They're open-wheel and have an IndyCar sticker, they count.

News and Blogs
All IndyCar "blogs" are terrible. Also fans on twitter.
http://www.indystar.com/irl

Twitter
Just follow these lists
Feel free to follow me too. I'll be receiving media credentials for the races I'm attending so you can expect lots of :smugdog: tweets by me

Photo Albums
I will be taking lots of pics at the races I attend and will post my albums here. Anyone that attends a race, feel free to send me a link to your photo album and I'll post it here as well.

Spring Training @ Barber, March 16-17 - KingShibby
Grand Prix of Long Beach, April 17-19 - KingShibby
Grand Prix of Indianapolis, May 8-9 - KingShibby

Previous Threads
Indycar 2014: Formula Juan
Indiecar Series 2013: You Probably Haven't Heard of It
IndyCar Series 2012: NASCAR Refugees Welcome!
IndyCar Series 2011

Team Lineup:
Check the 2nd post.

Thread Rules
Bringing back the F1chat rule. We get it, IndyCar is an inferior form of open-wheel compared to F1 and you'd love to tell us about it, but feel free to do that in the Worst Thread. Meanwhile, we'll enjoy some actual competition and close racing over here.

:fyadride: Brasilia & NOLA
:rip: Brasilia, Baltimore, Sao Paolo, Dario Franchitti, Houston, :ussr: Mikhail Aleshin

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Confirmed Drivers/Teams for 2015

The Big-3 Teams

Will Power, Helio Castroneves, Juan Pablo Montoya, & Simon Pagenaud
Coming off their first championship since 2006 (Sam Hornish, Jr.) with driver Will Power, Team Penske added star driver Simon Pagenaud to their already top-notch driver roster for 2015.

Scott Dixon, Charlie Kimball, Tony Kanaan, & Sage Karam
2 major changes highlight Chip Ganassi Racing: 1. Ryan Briscoe is out and the team has contracted to 3.5 drivers; 2. Target's sponsorship of 2 cars has been cut to 1 car and Tony Kanaan will be driving the NTT Data car that Briscoe previously drove. Sage Karam's season will all depend on finding sponsors, and has only been confirmed for St. Pete to start the season.

Ryan Hunter-Reay, Carlos Munoz, & Marco Andretti
No changes for Andretti in 2015 except for Hinch going to Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. The team is trying to field 4 full-time cars and possibly a fifth car with rotating drivers.

The Little Guys

Josef Newgarden, "Special" Ed Carpenter, & Luca Filippi
Ed Carpenter Racing and Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing merged to become, Carpenter-Fisher-Hartman Racing or just CFH Racing. Josef Newgarden is the only full-time driver at CFH Racing. Ed Carpenter only drives the ovals because he's Special Ed. Luca Filippi will drive the #20 on Road/Street Courses.

James Hinchcliffe & James Jakes
After losing Simon Pagenaud to Team Penske, SPM quickly snatched up Hinch. Mikhail Aleshin will not be returning to the #7 because THANKS OBAMA :obama: and the team has signed James Jakes to the #7. Jakes did not race in 2014 and previously was with Rahal in 2013 and Dale Coyne in 2011-12.

Takuma Sato & Jack Hawksworth
Previously a one-car team, AJ Foyt is expanding to 2 teams for 2015 and added 2nd year driver Jack Hawksworth from Bryan Herta.

Gabby Chaves
Historically one of the lowest funded teams in the paddock, Bryan Herta Autosport continues to field a single full-time entry. What makes BHA unique from other teams is that they often hire Indy Lights drivers to the full-time ride. In 2014 it was Jack Hawksworth, this year is reigning Indy Lights Champion Gabby Chaves.

Graham Rahal
Graham sucks and the team is only running one full-time car (except maybe the Indy 500) so draw your own conclusions

Sebastien Bourdais
KVSH Racing continues to field Sebastien Bourdais as one of their two drivers. The second driver has yet to be named.

More teams coming later!

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 18, 2015

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

FuzzySkinner posted:

Ryan Phinny is close to getting a ride in the series.

It's amazing what happens when you have a sponsor/money :iiam:

I plan on keeping this thread updated more than a few times per season, so keep an eye out for ninja updates like the 2 I already made...

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
http://www.racer.com/international-racing/item/112144-vergne-stays-in-fe-andretti-joins-him

Marco Andretti confirmed to be racing Formula E at Buenos Aires on Jan 10.

I'll set the over/under on his finishing position at 8.5

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Peanut President posted:

edit: I don't think Indycar even attracts new viewers it's just die hards who haven't died yet.

Once again give me one year, this year, and I will do my best to fix this problem. Let's just say my solution involves another similar thing that many of us are a part of... :wink:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

The 2016 IndyCar Series Presented By EVE Online

:barf:

Minto Took posted:

In related news, PWC owns.

That it does

I can't wait for March 16th and the beginning of Spring Training at Barber aka first public unveiling of the new aero kits. Also I'll be there with my digital camera :getin:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

They would prolly take a ton of downforce off the cars to keep them from packing up, and then we would whine that the cars aren't two-wide and 5 deep the whole race and talk about the lovely IRL pack racing days like it wasn't dumb poo poo that mangled/killed two dozen people and allowed idiots like Greg Ray to win races.

Fixed

The DW-12 was never designed for IRP. No open-wheel cars faster than Pro Mazda should be running at IRP. If iRacing is as realistic as they say they are, then the DW-12 could theoretically do >165mph into T1 which is :eyepop:

Also debating changing thread name to

quote:

IndyCar 2015: Even a broken clock is right twice a day

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

FuzzySkinner posted:

Sarah Fisher apparently won the D-Main at the Chili Bowl.

She loving owns.

I hope she races in the 500 this year :getin:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

be nice wicka posted:

i was in tears when TK won, i imagine i would just lose control and destroy my apt if sarah won

I was sitting right behind TK's pit-stall 7 rows up when he won, absolutely incredible way to end the very first Indy 500

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
If anyone else is watching this weekend's 24 Hours of Daytona, the following 14 IndyCar drivers are competing this weekend:

Drivers who competed full time in the 2014 Verizon IndyCar Series (* Indianapolis 500 only) entered in the sports car race with class in parentheses:

• Sage Karam*, No. 01 Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates (Prototype)
  • Charlie Kimball, No. 01 Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates (Prototype)
  • Tony Kanaan, No. 02 Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates (Prototype)
  • Scott Dixon, No. 02 Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates (Prototype)
  • Sebastien Bourdais, No. 5 Action Express Racing (Prototype)
  • Ryan Hunter-Reay, No. 7 Starworks Motorsport (Prototype)
  • James Hinchcliffe, No. 70 SpeedSource (Prototype)
  • Jack Hawksworth, No. 11 RSR Racing (Prototype Challenge)
  • Martin Plowman*, No. 61 BAR1 Motorsports (Prototype Challenge)
  • Ryan Briscoe, No. 3 Corvette Racing (GT Le Mans)
  • Simon Pagenaud, No. 4 Corvette Racing (GT Le Mans)
  • Graham Rahal, No. 24 BMW Team RLL (GT Le Mans)
  • Townsend Bell*, No. 63 Scuderia Corsa (GT Daytona)
  • James Davison*, No. 007 TRG-AMR (GT Daytona)

Additionally, 2014 Indy Lights champion Gabby Chaves returns to co-drive the No. 0 DeltaWing with former Verizon IndyCar Series driver Katherine Legge, Memo Rojas and Andy Meyrick. Shelby Blackstock, who moves from Pro Mazda to Indy Lights with Andretti Autosport this season, will share seat time with Plowman.

Pro Mazda Championship and Cooper Tires USF2000 Championship teams will test Jan. 25 at Palm Beach International Raceway in Jupiter, Fla., before moving to Homestead-Miami Speedway for testing on the road course Jan. 28. Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires teams will test on the HMS road course Jan. 26-27 and on the 1.5-mile oval Jan. 29.... Andretti Autosport owner Michael Andretti said that his son, Marco, will likely compete in the Miami and :siren: Long Beach :siren: rounds of the FIA Formula E Championship this spring. He made his series debut in Argentina earlier this month.

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 20, 2015

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
FIA more liek FYAD amirite? :smuggo:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Human Grand Prix posted:

Are we talking about cars in general or the technical aspects of the race cars? Because I'm more interested in the latter.

The technical aspects of IndyCars are what attracts me to IndyCar and detracts me from NASCAR. I :love: technology and speed

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
I spy a birthday boy that looks like a tired & confused Japanese tourist

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
All we can do now is pray for rain during every single oval race this year :smithcloud:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Congrats to Marco!

Looks like IndyCar did some driver photoshops for their meeting

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

So that's what the marketing team is up to.

Probably the most effective thing they've done all offseason.

Also the full press release:

quote:

Barnhart named INDYCAR Race Director

INDIANAPOLIS (January 28, 2015) - INDYCAR announced today that Vice President of Competition Brian Barnhart has been named Race Director and will lead the Verizon IndyCar Series' three-steward Race Control system in 2015. Barnhart was a key member of the INDYCAR Race Control system implemented in 2014 that stipulates all in-race penalties are decided by a two-thirds vote among the respective stewards officiating each event.

"We believe that based on his extensive experience in Race Control, combined with the three-steward system, Brian Barnhart is a good fit as INDYCAR Race Director," said Derrick Walker, INDYCAR President of Competition and Operations. "The process allows the Race Director to focus on running the race, without the double-duty of reviewing multiple replays and simultaneously trying to make a call. In terms of determining penalties our process defines that a majority vote amongst the three stewards is required, which ensures a jury-like process. Last year we found that this was a fair system when making difficult judgment calls."

Barnhart was a Race Control steward throughout the 2014 Verizon IndyCar Series season and was previously INDYCAR Race Director from 1997-2011.

"This is a position and a role that I've done for a number of years and I take a great deal of pride in being Race Director of the Verizon IndyCar Series," Barnhart said. "One of the things that excites me the most is the steward system we implemented last year. That was a great advancement in how we review and make discretionary decisions, and having that assistance in making calls is a big improvement to the way we officiate INDYCAR events."

As Vice President of Competition, Barnhart oversees the Race Control staff, the sporting regulations of the rulebook, the Holmatro Safety Team and medical personnel, security and INDYCAR Timing and Scoring. He has been a part of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and INDYCAR since 1994.

"The technological improvements we've made in Race Control have expanded the amount of information available to us," Barnhart said. "The additional cameras, the replay system and assistance from other stewards provide us with additional tools to do our job better. I'm excited about this opportunity and look forward to doing it again."

INDYCAR's Race Control system allows any of the three stewards to call for a review of a potential on-track incident. Upon review the stewards will deliberate on the violation using all available resources - which includes video replays, timing and scoring data and rulebook references - in rendering their decision. Following the review each race steward votes for, or against, the issuance of a penalty and the majority vote then decides if a penalty is issued. Once that determination is made the senior steward, as determined by Walker before each race, dictates the severity of each penalty.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
I know Barnhart is a dumbass, but his dumbassery is now limited by the 3-steward system and Derrick Walker's oversight. Like Robin Miller said, the outcry from fans over this is insane. There's no way IndyCar is that incompetent that they haven't heard the outcry.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Yo Gabby Gabby!

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/112992-indycar-chaves-expected-to-be-confirmed-at-herta

Score one for the Ladder! :fyadride:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

gret posted:

Hope BHA's sponsor this season isn't as shady as the one from last season.

They should just be happy to have any sponsor as shoestring of a budget they have...

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Here's the full statement from IndyCar I received last night:

quote:

STATEMENT FROM INDYCAR ON BRASÍLIA EVENT

INDIANAPOLIS (Jan. 29, 2015) - Today's announcement by BAND that the March 8 INDYCAR race in Brasília was cancelled was both unexpected and disappointing. INDYCAR had received every indication that the race was already a success: Two-thirds of the seats available for the event had already been sold; a title sponsor for the event (ITAIPAVA) was announced yesterday; hospitality was sold out; and track construction was progressing and scheduled to be complete in time for the event. Although we have not received formal confirmation from our partners in Brazil regarding the cancellation, economically INDYCAR is protected and the paddock is protected from such action.

Also CFH Racing is expected to make a big announcement today at 10am Eastern. Assumption is that they're announcing who will be driving the #20 on road courses.

Double edit: Luca Filippi has been confirmed as the road/street course driver for the #20, replacing Mike Conway.

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 30, 2015

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Screw the doublepost, but some news dropping this morning:

• CFH Racing confirms the signing of Luca Filippi to co-drive the Fuzzy's #20 on Road/Street Courses. This role was previously held by Mike Conway who actually won races
  • In addition to giving $3k to Conor Daly for a testdrive at SPM, Marco Andretti is changing car numbers.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

simble posted:

How will this new number help him not blow up engines?

Pretty sure Hinch didn't blow nearly as many engines as Marco, so maybe Hinch's number will help Marco (also in the ladies department)

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think that would be seriously the best case scenario for both. Just have a set of rules for IMS that would make it relatively cheap to get a car, yet have them be VICS-compatible. You could have teams/drivers like Lazier Racing just show up for May, and limit costs for them.

Allowing teams to just show up in May and race in the 500 is a joke and cheapens the 500. There should be a requirement that any one-off entry for the 500 is also required to race in the other Triple Crown races (Pocono/Fontana).

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
In my mind it cheapens the 500 because spectators only get to see these drivers once a year. If they could field 33 at Pocono and Fontana, it would make the Triple Crown really mean something, not to mention making the races more exciting.

I for one would love to see Townsend Bell race 3x a year instead of 1x

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
IndyCar at COTA over Eddie Gossage and Bernie's dead bodies. I'd rather they race at Phoenix or Sebring

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

WindyMan posted:

I wonder. If IndyCar has already received some/all money up front for sanctioning the Brazil race, might they take less than their normal rate to race at a place like Road America or Phoenix or <insert awesome track here>?

If they do this they need to find a track that they can come back to every year and not make this a one-off race because if it goes over well the outcry will be to go back there.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

FuzzySkinner posted:

Laguna Seca (only on the schedule once, but still)

Laguna Seca is on the current schedule as the final races of the season for the MRTI (Sept 12-13)

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

quote:

STATEMENT FROM INDYCAR

INDYCAR has explored several possibilities in an attempt to find a replacement event following the cancellation of the March 8 race in Brasília. Due to the lack of time for suitable planning and the limited number of options, the series has concluded it is not feasible to organize a replacement race on that weekend. INDYCAR will determine other opportunities for its teams and drivers at that time following a review of the current testing schedule.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Spaced God posted:

Limited number of options? Didn't a good half dozen tracks come out and offer?

Nobody came out and offered, IndyCar reached out to them.

Also

kidcoelacanth posted:

Why doesn't Simona have a ride yet. This is bullshit I quit

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
So Gabby Chaves was officially announced at BHA this morning, and I've been invited to the teleconference today! I'm trying to think of a question to ask, any ideas?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

Could do something goofy like "if you could add one race to the ICS season, any track or street course, where would it be and when?"

That would be lol but I'd like to be invited back to future teleconferences. I was thinking something about BHA selecting drivers from Indy Lights and the importance of that.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

BMB5150 posted:

To me that's too obvious and milquetoast that you'll get the answer that boils down to, we need guys from lower series to run here. Maybe something more personal like what you saw in Gabby that he brings to the table.

Now I'm leaning towards lurking for a call or 2 before I open my bigass mouth

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
lola is right!

http://racecarsdirect.com/listing/57915/lola_champcar_2006_specification.html

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Speaking of Champ Car, their 2015 schedule is out and they too have a new event this year. Theirs is in Istanbul, take that NOLA! :downsgun:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
I will definitely have to formally interview Simon Pagenaud and Justin Wilson and ask each of them how their ChampCar seasons are going :keke:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

IceAgeComing posted:

to be serious; why are indycar testing with the old aerokits? they aren't running the dallara kits at all this year, so why bother testing with them?

Teams don't have the aero kits yet. They are with the series and are going through homologation(sp) before they'll be delivered to the teams

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
:love: Update on Simona's progress to come back! :love:

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/113247-indycar-de-silvestro-making-progress-on-return

quote:

The number of seats left for de Silvestro to occupy continues to dwindle, but she reportedly remains high atop the list of candidates to drive for Andretti Autosport in a part-time capacity, and has emerged as a possible teammate alongside James Hinchcliffe at Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. De Silvestro was unable to comment on where she might sign, but did make it clear she only wants to drive for a contender.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

VikingSkull posted:

Speaking of Lights, 8Star has a bunch of their cars up on Ebay atm to make room for their Lights program.

- 1 Corvette DP - $339,000
- 1 Oreca FLM09 - $264,900
- 2 Elan DPO2 - $117,900 each

Buy them now!

Rich GT Gentleman Drivers assemble!

Seriously though you have no idea what I'd give up to buy that FLM09. Whenever I watch TUDOR races I can imagine myself competing in PC.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

BMB5150 posted:

Please don't if you don't have racing experience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAt9tFZmOWo

I would never jump into something so powerful without working my way up. If I had an extra $55k laying around I'd buy this car first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

Yeah, I kinda agree. I hope he makes it into the bigcars for the entertainment value of him starting fights, if nothing else.

Every series needs a heel, and I'd love to see some good ole fashioned road course retribution

• Locked thread