Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Hello fresh new thread. Maybe 2015 will be a kinder, gentler year than 2014.

To anyone who is here because they've made some kind of stupid New Year's resolution or because they caught the end of the last thread and thought they'd like in : leave while you can, before you get stuck. It gets a bit like this by around June.. No one will know why you keep shouting at your computer, who Ramirez is or why his two Pulitzers infuriate you so much. They will wonder why you keep crosshatching on every flat surface. By December you will be voting for something called a Gay Abortion and have an encyclopaedic knowledge of every single untalented, vicious hack that's ever drawn a President.

Here is a comic I drew last year to sum it up:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

oh god is that Rall looking in through the window?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

It's probably more appropriate for the less well known and non-US cartoonists, as someone keeping an eye on those can provide context a bit more easily (for instance I wouldn't really know or care what was going on in the Canadian cartoons if whoever kept posting them wasn't explaining them). For the usual peanut gallery someone will get to them pretty quickly because it's fun to get the drop on this thread, so probably no need to worry about it.

I'll try to round up at least one or two Australian cartoonists doing decent work on Aboriginal or refugee issues this year and post regular updates if that's a possibility (it might not be possible because there might not be any).

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

In case anyone wants them here are my toons from the past couple of years in one easy-to-find spot:

Big ones

2012:

2014:

Smaller things:

After reading this thread for six months I'll probably automatically spit out another big one but if anyone has any ideas that they'd like me to work on with them I will generally be down. I have to say I enjoyed working with Beeg and I think the extra collaboration makes for a better horrible monument to political cartooning that I could do alone.

Edit:

Forgot about this collaboration with Mr Beeg:

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 1, 2015

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

This is incredible and I've had this exact argument thrown at me again and again. Poor people have it easy what with deciding whether to eat or heat their houses, rich people have to worry about capital gains tax!

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Rorus Raz posted:

Added Sorensen to the OP. I have no idea how I missed her for so long :shrug:

Any chance of getting McMillan in there for completeness? She hasn't done a lot recently but she's nearly on par with Latuff for how often you'll see her stuff at protests and scattered around any kind of indie site.

E: also she's just good clean fun.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 1, 2015

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

OK Rogers what should the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries be diversifying to? If they diversified away from oil exports it'd be weird if they kept calling themselves OPEC.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's like a British Rall!

I thought FDotM was Australian?

E: Yeop. The Guardian has recently expanded its questionable services to Australia so FDotM sometimes leaks onto the Guardian front page.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I didn't pick it as an edit because, like every other DbD strip, it caused my eyes to glaze over in the first panel. So, well done (I think).

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

steinrokkan posted:

There's a pretty crucial difference between this situation and any post-mass shooting frenzy: While the NRA tries to prevent people from debating the means used by the killers to commit a violent crime, right now nobody seems interested in talking about how to prevent further terrorist attacks or about the attackers themselves, rather the focus is on whether the victims were bad people, while making half-hearted concessions that "what happened was bad". It seems that the fact twelve people were murdered is secondary to the fact that I don't agree with some cartoons. It's like making a breaking news story about the fact that some kids at Columbine had failing grades instead of about the shooting, its roots and implications.

Last year when Kirschen and Ramirez were doing their lovely doodles and crosshatches blaming the victims for Israel's decision to murder two thousand Palestinians, the political cartoons thread spent more time talking about the political cartoons than the victims of Israeli aggression. I don't know why the political cartoons thread would focus on political cartoons like that.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 8, 2015

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Cpt.Americant posted:

It got missed by all the glory that is Rall basically being an unironic Kelly, but this is some amazing backhanded victim blaming poo poo. If only they were armed! Because mass shootings never happen in America where everyone's armed. What's that, they literally had an armed guard?

Giving Branco the benefit of the doubt here but he could just have drawn a gun on himself to show that he's just as vulnerable to being attacked for drawing people badly and therefore feels some solidarity with the Charlie Hebdo cartoonists.

Or it could just be that Branco is a huge poo poo. It's probably that.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I'm not a gun nut by any stretch but is there any reason all these cartoonists are drawing the Charlie Hedbo gunmen/murderers/ninjas/racist arab caricatures with guns that look a bit like M16s rather than the Kalashnikovs and shotguns they actually used?

E: On closer inspection by "all these" I guess I mean McCoy, Lester and JRRRRRRRose so I guess I know the answer to that, NVM

Also late to the party here but this is as good a combination of racist and dumb as gently caress as is possible in the medium of cartooning. Some good strong contenders for the worst cartoon of the year right out of the gate.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 9, 2015

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

tacodaemon posted:

He also changed the dude's headgear.

Made him shorter by removing the neck, presumably to make him a bit more bestial, if the fangs and crazy eyes weren't enough.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, take that one for example. That Muslim character looks just like their Jesus, and it's actually full of life, humorous joy and character in ways that McCoys' / Lester's aren't. Why the hell should they replace it with something deliberately lifeless to "broaden their appeal", aka do the exact opposite of what they are trying to do?

Pictured: The ultimate satirical caricature with broad appeal

It's a straight up racist caricature of an Arab. Big hook nose, scraggly beard, turban. I don't understand how it's funny in any way, or how satirising the appearance and religious beliefs of a powerless minority that the French have systematically treated like poo poo is meant to be a source of amusement. My baby laughed at your ultimate caricature though so the last bit of your post might be correct.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

VitalSigns posted:

Well, I don't entirely disagree with you, but...

Yes context etc (I've drawn some pretty racist depictions of Obama and so on) but if Charlie Hedbo was skewering French conceptions of Arabs with deliberately racist portrayals then they did quite a lot of it. Anyway this has been done to death, sorry for going on about it again.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

For those complaining about caricatures of muslims being racist, cartoonists exaggerate all features. So white racists become shaven-headed pinheads, Jews and Arabs get big noses, Chinese get round heads, etc. In order to signal something of the figure's origins/national identity etc. the artist has to produce images which are quickly recognisable. Yes, those often pander to stereotypes but cartoonists have to operate with very limited means: 1-3 (usually 1) frame, maximum of 20 words of dialogue (fewer the better), often no colour, and essential labels. You can make a subtle point but it has to be very abbreviated in form and the art has to have a strong impact. Every pictorial detail you can use to signal an identity reduces the need for a label. And cartoons are exaggerated and hurtful and disrespectful. There is no getting around the fact that cartoonists have to use shorthand and sometimes it can look racist (and sometimes it is racist) and when you are making fun of someone because of their actions it can appear you are making of them for their ethnic origins (and sometimes it can be both). But I think you have to look at the message, the context, the publication and the artist's track record to judge the finer points. And there's no way of avoiding misinterpretation and appropriation.

Does that seem fair? :shrug:

This would be more acceptable if Arabs were ever given a fair depiction in any cartoon (or movie for that matter). The stereotypical Arab image reinforces the view of Arabs as being barbarians and fanatics, not quite human. Since the goal of a lot of these political cartoons is to represent the actions of Western governments in a favourable light I'd say that political cartoons that depict Arabs as monsters render a service to governments that are at war in the Middle East or involved in the GWOT. Even those cartoonists that only use this stereotype to depict radical Islamists (however they define that) are guilty of this. And as you say there's no way to avoid misinterpretation or appropriation. These images get picked up and repeated, often stripped of the context that surrounds them. These stereotypes hurt minorities disproportionately - I mean if it's ok to think of Arabs as murdering thugs and potential jihadi and what you see on TV and in newspapers all the time validates this view, why the hell would you hire one, or worry much if their countries are bombed?

I mean imagine if we were still seeing cartoons that always depicted black people as ape-like looters, thugs and welfare queens produced for an audience that supported harsh police measures and voting restrictions that target black people? Sure you can say it's a shorthand that makes black people easy to recognise but it also carries an entirely negative message.

E: VVVV there's that M-16 looking gun again (although with a curved clip)

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 9, 2015

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It's not just the big noses, it's the caricature that's been associated time and time again with terrorists and radicals used to represent a generic Arab or even a generic Muslim. Never mind the majority aren't even Arab.

Especially that ratty beard and dirty unkempt look.

I watched this documentary (Reel Bad Arabs) a couple of weeks ago and have been thinking about it a lot since the Charlie Hebdo attack. It's a really worthwhile and relatively short film about how Muslims and Arabs are depicted in the movies, and it goes just the same for political cartoons. It's definitely worth a watch if you've got a spare 50 minutes or so because a lot of the offensive stereotypes about Muslims sort of go under the radar because they're so prevalent and are generally unchallenged.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

beepsandboops posted:

Joe Sacco's take on satire and the Charlie Hebdo massacre:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2015/jan/09/joe-sacco-on-satire-a-response-to-the-attacks

More from Susie Cagle on American publications and cartoonists

https://twitter.com/susie_c

Joe Sacco's cartoon rules.

Cagle should take a hint. Political cartoons really are unimportant. They are the garbage part of the newspaper and they take up space that would be better used for news, advertising or coupons. The only people who read them in newspaper regularly and on purpose are either insane or very, very old.

Online political cartoons are also garbage but we read them.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Professor Tomtom posted:

Can we agree that the French dudes deserves to die for mocking POC?

No

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I know for a fact that everyone in DnD likes to pretend they've never heard of the Something Awful frontpage, but right now it has a good collection of horrible DeviantArt tributes to Charlie Hebdo.

This one is my favourite by a long way:

The #jesuischarlie hashtag on DeviantArt is a goldmine for worthless tributes, mainly consisting of very bad artists shoehorning their OCs/fursonas into the tragedy.

They're all pretty much like this.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

One day people are going to look at the way cartoonists depict Arabs in the same way we look at the way black people and Chinese used to be drawn. At that time our political cartoons will probably be awash with hi-larious racist caricatures of whoever we're bombing (probably Russians), and also Gypsies and transgender people because it's always ok to insult them.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Absolute Lithops posted:

Is this guy still angry at Kaiser Wilhelm II?

I'm still pretty mad at him

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I went on DeviantArt again and sifted through the filth to bring you all life-affirming support for CH from the artistic community. There are at least 2000 of these things there, most of them aren't any better than this heap. Regardless on where you stand on the free speech issue or Kaiser Wilhelm II (rear end in a top hat) I'm pretty sure that we can all agree that most of the DeviantArt community should never draw anything again.

1. Islamofascism killed Charlie by skewering a bleeding hat on their crescent. Charlie is survived by a swastika, a sweet sword and a pen.
2. Jesus, Charle.
3. Charlieje Suis. The watermark prevents me from using this masterpiece as an avatar.
4. Et tu Heman?
5. Not OK
6. What do the Liberal Democrats have to do with this?
7. Tasteful
8. Tasteful and lazy
9. Lazy and worthless
10. Worthless and furry
11. Worthless
12. Bronies are also Charlies
13. You'll be ok
14. :effort:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

This is quite cool, I thought you drew it for a minute.

Anyway, the best political cartoon of the year so far is a police sketch of the guy they are trying to catch for the bombing:

Generic whiteman with shades.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Xander77 posted:

I think there's a bunch of research indicating that police sketches are generally worthless? Like "the top sketchers couldn't draw a recognizable celebrity when described from a reference photo" worthless?

They did manage to draw an exceptionally good spud wearing glasses just now, so don't knock them too hard. I think you're right though, the police sketchers probably exist to give people the impression that some important police work is happening while they wait for something to come up.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Duckbag posted:

From a while ago, but no one else seemed to notice how backwards this is (probably because this is a thread about cartoons?). The Orthodox iconoclasm of the 8th century was a reaction to the Muslim iconoclasm of the 7th century. Islam has had an intense disdain for idolatry from its inception (destroying the images of the old tribal gods was one of the things that made it possible to unite Arabia culturally and politically), and they accused Christian icons of saints of being very much the same. After the Byzantines lost the Middle East in a terrifyingly short period of time, many Christians in the east began to wonder if maybe the Muslims had a point.

I come here for the cartoons but I stay for the history lessons. Last year was a bit Great War themed, more medieval history this time round would be great thanks.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Stefu posted:

So if someone killed Kreider then surely goons would just concentrate on reposting those three cartoons over and over and over again instead of all of his other work because certainly he was no angel

No one was even implying that CH had it coming for gently caress's sake.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Stefu posted:

I didn't say that they were implying that.

Stefu posted:

certainly he was no angel

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

He's cut eye holes in that bag so he can still see

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Chamale posted:

Yes? Why wouldn't he?

goddamnit I missed the point of the cartoon somehow. That newspaper is backwards though unless Extremist Terrorism is a sport.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I didn't see this posted here, so enjoy this rasher of poo poo from Mark Knight. He's an Australian cartoonist, pretty talented and usually pretty boring.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Bloodnose posted:

I touched the poop that is Yaakov Kirschen and expressed my concern that his birdy cards are promoting an image of certain Jews as race traitors. I was polite and offered compliments about some of his other cartoons, expecting an equally polite response and maybe a counterargument for why the cards aren't as problematic as I said they were.

Instead, he just replied with an image, no text:

Goddamn that is some crazy, bitter old poop.

E: What compliments did you come up with for his other cartoons?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

seiferguy posted:

You should tweet this to Sutton. I don't know how he'd handle it.

(for those of you saying "don't touch the poop", Sutton is pretty cool about these things. He even gave Xylo the recipe for Whiskey Sours)

Sutton is a nice guy. He took a look at and was very friendly about a cartoon I drew last year and even encouraged me to keep doing the things for some reason.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Rorus Raz posted:

Priggee said this day would come :ohdear:

I wish, although a manga-style Ramirez would be a thing of unadulterated horror.

might try putting one together while I'm thinking about it

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Saint Sputnik posted:

This cartoon immediately sprang to mind

This cartoon is a surprisingly nuanced reading of the relationship between Western propaganda and military adventurism in the Muslim world. Either that or Catalino meant "Get some you muzzie scum, booyah".

E: For the record I think Bok is the worst political cartoonist. He combines incompetence, meanness and stupidity with incredible regularity.

for example.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 13, 2015

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Eschers Basement posted:

Psst - that's Branco. Absolutely agreed on those points, though - he's a bad cartoonist who wants to be an evil cartoonist.

Bok is an evil cartoonist.

oh wow, I got my evil idiots mixed up. I hate Branco too, I don't know why I thought that was a Bok.

This is more Bok's speed:

lovely, lovely concern trolling on behalf of energy companies.

On the subject of Branco, this is my favourite thing about the old man: his paintings.

1 Melty self portrait
2 Timeless and coherent political statement
3 Titty Gorilly
and the best of the best
4 Two soldiers melting and crying in front of a tire fire, titled by the artist "My Heroe's are just Kids"

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Fulchrum posted:

A reminder that sending people to help with Ebola was considered western imperialism by Latuff.

The West and the US in particular doesn't have a great history with disaster relief. The militarised response to the Haitian earthquake in 2010 was effectively a seige of Port-au-Prince and evacuation and relief work was based on US priorities to the exclusion of local and other foreign aid groups.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

loquacius posted:

Welp, best do nothing at all then, oh wait that's bad too. Welp, best tear down our entire country because otherwise we might get our humanitarian aid wrong.

Or, you know, just get better at it. All I'm saying is that it's understandable that some people might not consider the US military showing up in the wake of a disaster as an unambiguously good thing.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

RyokoTK posted:

"Just get better at it" is really cunning insight. I am genuinely curious as to what people expect the United States to do about Boko Haram or ebola or anything that won't just piss everyone off.

Pretty sure the Mexicans managed to help out in Haiti without locking down the capital and pissing everyone off but yeah there are probably a range of options between nothing at all and temporary military annexation. As Bicyclops has pointed out I don't think this thread has the kind of experts that could give a worthwhile answer to what should be done for every individual foreign aid situation but it probably involves cooperating with existing aid and government organisations at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Wasn't Franck Brinsolaro (the protection officer) armed?

• Locked thread