Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Islamic Extremists hurt mainline Islam, AGC.

... it was the original intent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Did not expect Kirschen to blame pigeons.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

I think the real issue is the "We are Charlie!" stuff for me. Of course, the enormous tragedy in this case is that people were murdered. Murder is awful. It's the worst thing, literally, that you can do to a person, besides doing something bad to them and then murdering them. It should not happen, not for any reason, least of all that they are drawing cartoons.

But some of the cartoons were bigoted, and I do not feel comfortable identifying in a "We are Charlie!" kind of way with the people who drew them. If someone call Muir's balls off and then forced him to chock on them, I would think this was terrible behavior, which was unwarranted, in the face of pretty much anything, but I could not, under any circumstances say "We are Muir!" because I am about as far as I can be from being him. I would not post his cartoons in defiance of the people who killed him, because they are still bad and hateful cartoons.

A lot of us are being exposed to the cartoons for the first time, which are making us uncomfortable because of the bigotry expressed therein, which is why they are being criticized now, even in the wake of the tragedy. We are not bringing it up because we are blaming the victims, we are bringing it up because we are just now seeing these cartoons, and we have been asked to identify with them, which I, at least, do not, beyond in a generalized and nebulous "free speech" sort of way. There's no government body censoring these cartoons and there never was; there is no need to proliferate them. They have already proliferated in their relevant circles. The people who created them were silenced by hateful, murdering hands, and that is indeed a horrible tragedy, and that they will no longer be able to speak or express themselves through drawing is horrible and sad. Still, that doesn't mean that all of us must needs identify with every point they made so much that we must post it in every corner of the internet, when the views expressed are in fact sometimes not good. It doesn't mean that each criticism blames them for what they are doing.

I openly condemn what happened to Charlie, but I am not Charlie, and I will not identify with the viewpoints expressed by Charlie.

Thankfully most people use the neutral images of "We are Charlie" (which don't mean endorsment in the slightest, in my opinion) or the general "pen mightier than the sword, free speech!" rather than using the deaths as an excuse to openly endorse hateful poo poo or do another silly "Draw a Muhammad Day".
People died for their views and the method of expression, it is a tragedy, it is right to empathize with victims (we don't evaluate the personal qualities and views of civilians dying in drone strikes or terrorist attacks) and it is right to evoke the oft-quoted (even if misattributed) Voltaire line.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Che News?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Rorus Raz posted:

Islamophobia has been working out.

The true way of the Iron Pill requires gains brah

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

colonel_korn posted:

6 (might be old but seems to be circulating today :sigh: )

Both are fans of Michael Jackson?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Derf, along with Crumb, is featured in the upcoming issue of Charlie Hebdo

Sorry for no bigger size, taken from twitter

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Flashes of violent imagination instantly turning back to reality is a device commonly used in the movies to show a disturbed or shellshocked individual.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Muir knows how the Crusades ended, right? All territory acquired lost and the end hastened for the Byzantines by the Crusaders themselves?

Just a temporary retreat

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

e: did not read

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Armani posted:

Safe Space Gorazde? I had a tab still from a few days ago on Sacco and his works: http://theculturetrip.com/north-america/usa/articles/the-universal-language-of-the-image-joe-sacco-s-comics-and-conflicts/

I would love to read his work - ink on wood sounds like a lovely and painstaking medium to do for comics.

Sacco is a great storyteller and has been a remarkable artist since his first major work. His most appealing quality is the humble attitude - he presents himself as an awkward doofus instead of a badass superjournalist and lets his subjects into the focus.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Russian cartoonists weigh in on Paris attacks:

Russian media is really committed at creating the contrarian cartoon supervillain image out of the whole country.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Welp. The one bit of Russian news coverage I saw was an outright dumb and so goddamn crazy (or at least shrill and actively hysterical) reporter screeching about :
Millions of Muslims in France.
Billions of new mosques, no new Catholic houses of worship.
A "House of Islamic Culture" (what kind of culture could Muslims possibly have?) funded by Parisian taxpayers.
That's not enough for those people - another Islamic museum is being built right across the street, for a billion million Francs.

Charlie Hebdo (apparently) weren't fond of this overtly tolerant approach towards der Untermensches. They mocked Muslims, the EU, Merkel etc (they also sucked down Putin's big manly cock as every good journo should - not said, but actively implied).

I sorta assumed that was going to be the Russian spin.

Nah, Kremlin loves the idea of a peaceful, multinational empire where everyone gets respected and tolerated as long as they hold Traditional Values. Obviously freedom of speech is considered a gaynazi european abomination and is basically the worst thing.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

WitchFetish posted:

Seeing as there is still doubt on whether or not Latuff is a dumb loving idiot who romanticizes literal terrorists in the most laughable way possible, allow me to post the rest of the series :

*unsheathes dragunov* My my, looks like we have some pesky americans here. Time to show you the dark power of Juba the baghdad sniper...
*kills all americans*
*adjusts keffiyeh*
"Eh, nothing personel kid..."

These are all great because they perfectly imitate the style of oldschool American war comics

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Man, Iron Pill may be "drawn" by an unironic probable racist and is probably going to be found on the computer harddrive of the next big school shooter, but it's just in amazing in ways I can't really describe. What's the story behind that poo poo anyways?

It is the cartoon summation of the discourse on 4chan's political board /pol/, where people slide between honest fascism, ironic fascism and post-ironic fascism.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

How many cartoons are we gonna see like this?

Not much, because only Bors, Rall and Kelly care about that "issue"

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

euclidian88 posted:

Well fat cats seem to lead/control quite a few...

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Soviet anti-religion cartoons are pretty ballin, if sometimes bizarre

Mohammad: O, Allah, be happy, Mussolini is the protector of Islam, we are gonna get more true believers up here!

"On the modern level"

"Oh Lord, forgive my abstractionist son!"
magazine title: THE UNBELIEVER AT THE WORKPLACE
Church party!
"I, the unbeliever"

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Oh hey - I'd love to see some "pidarasy" cartoons. (Quote this out of context)

I can't really find good caricatures, or even good English sources on Soviet persecution of alternative art.

Oh there are a lot of those

"Goons looking at a new PBF"
Characters from classical Russian paintings laugh at degenerate modern art. For some reason, The Demon is there, Vrubel was far from socrealism art tradition

And a view from the other side by R. Crumb

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 3, 2015

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Oops, i forgot to tell a joke?

It is not supposed too, as it is just a panel from his Bulgaria travelogue, but it hits quite close to my experiences with smaller Russian museums.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Most of these look insane enough to be Archer episodes

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

alnilam posted:

"Yak the knife"?

aw yes :boom:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

Same dress, different lightning/whatnot.

white and gold: FALSE OBAMACARE PROMISES
blue and black: DEBT

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Venom Snake posted:

Why can't this actually happen? Please?

sadmittromneyholdingadollar.jpg

Why the cock?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Wanted to do this for some time

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Cpt.Americant posted:

Could someone link and/or post it? wouldn't mind seeing that one.

http://eviltwincomics.tumblr.com/post/72771087448/action-philosopher-ayn-rand-from-action

I don't see any endorsment of Rand in this one (even more so in their Comic Book History of Comics where they illustrate the descent of Steve Ditko down the Randy drain)

Action Philosophers is a fun book, every thinker depicted in it is ridiculed to some point.

also from the artist:

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 2, 2015

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Frank Miller's Holy Terror is a fascinating look into the soul of a broken, hateful millionaire who has nothing better to do than ink-scratch the poo poo out of his own hate

Sexy suicide bombers corrupting piercing-loving youth!

Chaotic caricatures!

Torture fetish!

In the 80s he did a rather confusing contribution to AARGH - Artists Against Rampant Government Homophobia, an anthology, put together by Alan Moore, designed to protest Clause 28 in the UK. While everyone involved did comics about the struggle of LGBT people or poetic/abstract calls for tolerance, Miller's strip was about a gay-hunting Robocop.

Proper Steadmanian Thatcher, though

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Neeksy posted:

Holy poo poo this is amazing. Alan Moore must hate the gently caress out of Miller, because there are some acid burns here.

He did a pretty glowing foreword to Dark Knight Returns

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Deep Hurting posted:

Yeah, I noticed this too. What's the deal with that?? It's really weird.

I think it started with Dwight's shoes in Sin City - they provided a nice striking image when Miller did his favorite "jumping from the rooftops" shots.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

This hole, it was made for me!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

yeah right 4:21 :weed: (this smiley is also next to :tinsley: in the table)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Thats some lovely drawn rapening

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

PT6A posted:

I wonder what Charlie Hebdo has been up to lately:

Oh...

Approximate translations: "Daesh: Russian aircraft intensify their bombing", "The dangers of Russian low-cost carriers: I should have taken Air Cocaine"

There has been a predictably... dour reaction from the Russians on this matter. Actually, I'm starting to think the condemnation of this cartoon over some of the others that were accused of being racist really does show that, while Charlie Hebdo itself is clearly an equal-opportunity offender, a lot of those who were so quick to defend its satire regarding Mohammed and the deaths of Mediterranean migrants actually were racist, because I don't hear poo poo now that it's making fun of dead white people.

For what it's worth, I think all of what they do is valid and people need to quit whining regardless of their target of the day.

Russians had no problem with cartoons about dead refugees because "Gayrope is dying from migrant plague" was an official talking point.
Regarding that one, Russian government jumped into the fray - Putin's press secretary called that cartoon blasphemous, and "irrelevant to either democracy or self-expression", secretary of the Russian embassy in France asked if "Anyone is Charlie now? :smug:", other officials joined in stern condemnation, it is not if they have better thing to do about the crash.

Of course there are also angry cartoons in response

"Freedom of conscience usually means freedom from conscience"

Hyena labelled "I am Charlie"

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

A Samson Option Cartoon

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The one-sided war of Russia versus Charlie Hebdo continues with a federal senator presenting "her own" cartoon with a signature "CHARLIE HEBDO ARE NOT PEOPLE BUT SCUM; THE HELL WELCOMES CHARLIE HEBDO"

On that same press conference it was noted by a journalist that the original cartoon (that very same sans the sign) was drawn by a Ukrainian artist and that it portrays the previous, pro-Russian administration boiling in a cauldron.

The original artist, Yuri Zhuravel, was very prolific during Euromaidan revolt, so the aides of senator Petrenko must be sharing that luxurious brain parasite that got her head.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Crying Lara Croft is a nice touch.

It is not Lara Croft, but /co/lette, one of the numerous board mascots
http://the-conservatory.wikia.com/wiki//co/lette

TRAP SPRUNG, I know

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

nickmeister posted:

This is what I was talking about. Much more readable... wait, what have I done?!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Inspector Hound posted:

I would like to see his erotic drawings, but i doubt he could surpass what horsey is capable of

they mostly involve goku and buttstuff

Oh and I remember something about polyamory

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Erenthal posted:

The Daily Mail is like a secret underground newspaper distributed by neo-nazis, right?

It's not an established paper with circulation that people read and nod along to, right? Right?

Literally The Daily Mail founder

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mister Beeg posted:

I'm kinda surprised that Ted Rall isn't drawing a DONALD TRUMP IS HITLER!!!! cartoon, when the comparison is really apt.

Pfft, Rall is a contrarian first and foremost, so he is going to slam on something no sane person deeply cares about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The Scanlator of this Horror Manga i'm reading is starting his own politoons

Bottom frame is from the GI Joe movie, and I am pretty sure it was Cobra, not open borders and cultural enrichment that blew the Eiffel tower

• Locked thread